Thread: vintage Demo-Man (a work in progress)

vintage Demo-Man (a work in progress)

Due to a serious lack of time I don't get to sit behind my customizing table very often. Yet I really want to share this custom I'm working on. So it's not finished (and will not be for a couple of weeks/months) so here is a work in progress.

Back in May I felt my vintage Vikor needed a vintage Demo-Man to battle. I had seen a few people making one out of a Beast-Man and that is a good base. But I felt the face sculpt did not work well. I looked at the original Mark Taylor sketch and figured I could make a Hordak head work. So I started working:

I felt that looked great and was the way to go forward. Then in June I wondered which way to go color wise. The sketch was in black and white after all. I had used a Stratos body instead of Beast-Man (mainly because I did not have a complete Beast-Man in my fodder box) and figured with the grey of Stratos' body, purple would look nice. See above,
    Never found the time to finish him though. Then came Comic-Con and the MOTUC figure was announced. So, officially grey/purple was now off the table. Green and red it was!

Then I saw the ever so wonderful Demo-Man Tyke had made (in this thread) and figured that cloth outfit was sooooo much cooler than the Beast-Man armor. So I went with that instead. So here he is. n his own and together with Vikor:

He still needs a second head though, and his trademark 'bone in beard'. Probably won't be until the day the MOTUC figure is sold that I have this project finished I'm the world's SLOWEST customizer!!
    Last edited by e-man; September 19, 2011 at 04:31am. Reason: typo/added pics

Heroic Warrior TombstonePiledrive's Avatar
    I was thinking of doing a vintage DemoMan myself. Cool work, I look forward to when you finish!

A small corner of Hordeworld called Oddville
    Nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by e-man View Post
    I'm the world's SLOWEST customizer!!
    Oh and I think I could challenge you for that title.

I've had the pleasure of conversing with E-Man throughout his painfully-slow process concerning Demo-Man!

Cannot wait to see him done!
    See ALL of my customs (tons of He-Man, Transformers, JLU, TNBX, Flash Gordon, and more in one organized Gallery):
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery....php?cat=10006

ALL OF MY HEMAN CUSTOMS ARE HERE:
    http://dchallofjustice.com/CJgallery...s.php?album=18

it's pretty cool, but you shoulda used a beastman head and maybe cut off the face and cut the face off a skeletor. Cut and paste.

But yeah, it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    it's pretty cool, but you shoulda used a beastman head and maybe cut off the face and cut the face off a skeletor. Cut and paste.

But yeah, it's ok.

Using a Beastman head and using a Skeletor face is a really GOOD idea! If Eman does that, it'd be unique ALSO....still, you have to admit: the sculpting on that Hordak head is really good and "Demo-Man" or not, it's an awesome character-head!

I myself just completed a DEMO-MAN vintage-style using a Scareglow head.
    See ALL of my customs (tons of He-Man, Transformers, JLU, TNBX, Flash Gordon, and more in one organized Gallery):

Very SWEET!

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post

But yeah, it's ok.
    Shoulda, woulda... I must say that I did think of using Beast Man's head, but then it would just be another Beast Man in different color. Adding Skeletor's face to that would have been a good idea. Maybe somewhere in 2012 (as said, I'm the slowest customizer in the world although bobtheodd takes me up on that challenge... hmmm... let's just see about that
    Anyway, baronterror, have you made that figure the way you described it? Would love to see it as an inspiration! When I find myself a spare Skeletor head, I will make Demo-Man his 'second Alcala style head' first. After that I might try your recipe!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    Using a Beastman head and using a Skeletor face is a really GOOD idea! If Eman does that, it'd be unique ALSO....still, you have to admit: the sculpting on that Hordak head is really good and "Demo-Man" or not, it's an awesome character-head!
    I myself just completed a DEMO-MAN vintage-style using a Scareglow head.
    And yours has been an awesome inspiration! THANKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Very SWEET!
    Thanks man! Sitting next to a bag full of 200x goodies for you, will drop them off today or tomorrow!

By replying I'm bumping this post up again. Just a quick note, new pictures have been added to the original post!! Demo-Man is now 99% finished! That 1% being his 'bone in the beard'.
    Last edited by e-man; September 19, 2011 at 04:49am.

I love it! That is a great vintage Demo-Man. Very good work.

YES! Wonderful Demo-Man, man

You did a remarkable, job, E-Man! MUCH MUCH better than the armor, I agree.

A small corner of Hordeworld called Oddville
    I'm not a vintage fan, but this is well done. Great work.

I've just recently become interested in Demo-Man. This custom rocks!

I can see why you´ve choosen a Hordak head. Especialy the ears are a dead ringer I mis on most Demo mans. Also like you´ve choosen to take the cloth armour over the BM armour. Great work, try to keep at it

Excellent work!
    I saw him before on your "vintagefever" and I wanted to ask...where is the bone in his beard??? My favorite detail from the concept drawing is missing!