Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a review of Hurricane Hordak yet?

Heroic Warrior
    Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Besides being ugly and the sort of character-design-breaking thing they said they'd never do as part of the "no action features" bit?

It cost money to tool. Money that - had they just vac-metallised the otherwise-identical existing Hordak armour - could have been spent elsewhere. On an extra accessory for another figure. Or a new tunic for BGEL.
    I gotta agree with you. I could care less if it is there or not but it is a new tool and because of that it does take away from somewhere else.

I like the dial. I think it's a fun little touch that most people are not even going to see when these are displayed in the majority of collector's displays.

About the fact this is a new tool - while there is no way of knowing until people start getting him, it might be likely a new tool would have been required anyway. Why? The vac-metal.

I've never seen it applied to soft plastic (probably because it might flake off.) I don't think the way the armor plugs together on the regular Hordak figure would have worked with hard plastic as it seems to rely on the pliability of the peg to fit snugly in the hole. I could be wrong, but I was thinking this might snap together differently. Which means a new tool. So the dial might be more "hey, we have to have a new tool so why not add a new, fun bit of differentiation on the back" rather than a new tool being created EXPRESSLY for the dial... which I don't see Mattel doing.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked at the back of the figure and indeed it uses the old hooked-tab method (like the classic figures) so a new tool was needed no matter what.
    Last edited by JonWes; September 6, 2011 at 12:43am.

It would do everyone good to get past that "tooling costs" idea. Mattel is going to do whatever they want to do. When giving answers for things that we may question, sure it can be blamed on tooling cost. Really though, ask yourself if a company complaining about tooling cost would actually spend the extra money for an homage detail.

I think the dial is neat. I mean we are saying that these are updated versions of the original. They already have done a couple things like this and I think it's a fun tribute.
    ----------------------------------
    Joe

My G.I.Joe page
    Facebook
    EBAY
    D&J Toys - Display Bases and more!

Heroic Warrior Ben Solstice-Moon's Avatar
    Ditto! No harm, no foul. It's there for a nostalgic reference, and kinda neat. I don't see it as a big deal. Maybe it's not a dial! Maybe he's hiding one of his Buzz Saws behind his back there for next time he's issued!

Besides being ugly and the sort of character-design-breaking thing they said they'd never do as part of the "no action features" bit?
    Exactly. That's one of the things this line was supposed to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamatty
    He'll be displayed facing the front of the shelf, so you won't see his back anyway.
    What if you don't display him facing the front of the shelf? I have several figures posed with their waist's twisted, and other posed in side views locking up with one another.

That stupid dial would be plainly visible. There's also the fact that Hurricane Hordak is essentially a combat variant. He's meant to go out there and kick some butt. Why would you just pose him in a stationary front facing position?

It's nice to have options, but unfortunately unless you pose him facing front, you have to see that stupid dial.

It cost money to tool. Money that - had they just vac-metallised the otherwise-identical existing Hordak armour - could have been spent elsewhere. On an extra accessory for another figure. Or a new tunic for BGEL.
    yes! and they told us there would be no Vac in this line

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Quote Originally Posted by J_Man View Post
    Really though, ask yourself if a company complaining about tooling cost would actually spend the extra money for an homage detail.
    I'll point this out again since my reply above might have been too long and people aren't reading it:

Vac Metal = Hard Plastic
    Hard Plastic = Different Clasping System For Armor
    Different Clasping System = New Tool No Matter What

So, the new dial probably came from the fact they needed a new tool anyway, they didn't make a new tool just for the dial.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Yep, no HH yet. Hopefully it'll go out for review before the 15th.

I'm one who is very happy about the Vac Metal, so I can already tell a good chunk of people will not be agreeing with me. I will definitely look over the armor really well though to check on the potential of breakage, flaking, etc.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Not terribly keen on old HH. Not having a sub this year means I get to opt out and just go for Leech, which is just fine. I just can't see Hordak having any need to bother going CQC, so this fig feels totally unnecessary to my collection. I do like the VAC though, just not the theme.

I display all my figures facing backwards, so this really sucks for me.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    yes! and they told us there would be no Vac in this line
    They also said no rooted hair too. I'm just waiting for Mattel to overturn the no 200X head pack rule.

Quote Originally Posted by kenobi96 View Post
    Me too! I don't see any harm in having it on his back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada-Man View Post
    The dial is not a big deal to me. You can't see it while he's in the package and I don't plan on displaying him facing the wall.

Exactly. It's negative for fans who would have wanted more tooling on BGEL or other 200X variants versus an extraneous tooled detail. It's a song and a dance to give 200X He-Man his fanny pack, but Hurricane Hordak can get a tooled dial on his back.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I'll point this out again since my reply above might have been too long and people aren't reading it:

Vac Metal = Hard Plastic
    Hard Plastic = Different Clasping System For Armor
    Different Clasping System = New Tool No Matter What

So, the new dial probably came from the fact they needed a new tool anyway, they didn't make a new tool just for the dial.
    I think The Dial came first, then they made it worse with the Vac Metal... Proto was painted gold and TG said something about looking into vac metal...

Yeah I despise both dial and Vac Metal... One is useless, the other looks tacky...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Your opinion... I love it all. Besides, they could not have vac'd the original Jordak armor. It wouldn't be removable then!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

To each their own...
    My grammar teachers were strict: "To each his own..."

People make this mistake here often and it drives me BONKERS!!!

TOTALLY agree. I do not understand the inclusion of the dial. Now, if they had tooled a red "spine" and made it look more gruesome, then I'd understand the homage.

It could have been a cyber-organic component of the armor, that could be seen as related to the different hurricane attachments.

oh well...
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I display all my figures facing backwards, so this really sucks for me.
    PS3 contact: InfernoSkeletor
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181087

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    TOTALLY agree. I do not understand the inclusion of the dial. Now, if they had tooled a red "spine" and made it look more gruesome, then I'd understand the homage.

It could have been a cyber-organic component of the armor, that could be seen as related to the different hurricane attachments.

oh well...
    THIS is why I HATE HH's Dial... With Optikk it worked, cause of the Cybernetic components on his back...
    With Sy-Klone... ehh that's kinda pushing it, but it barely works.
    With HH, there is NOTHING on his back that helps disguise the dial as something else...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    I think The Dial came first, then they made it worse with the Vac Metal... Proto was painted gold and TG said something about looking into vac metal...

Yeah I despise both dial and Vac Metal... One is useless, the other looks tacky...
    No, I'm pretty sure he said it WOULD be vac metal and that this was just for the proto. As I mentioned, they would have had to have planned the vac metal from the beginning. It's not something you'd just do at the end because of the materials involved.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    With HH, there is NOTHING on his back that helps disguise the dial as something else...
    I never owned the HH figure as a kid, but I did have the regular and Buzzsaw Hordak. So, the latter is what my mind went to instantly when I saw the dial. Since a MOTUC Buzz Hordak would be very difficult to pull off, I am taking this as an homage to both and that it is actually a buzzsaw on the back of his armor as a means of protection/just fall down on an enemy and still win kick in drawers type of thing.

Works for me and it took little effort in the imagination.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It's a song and a dance to give 200X He-Man his fanny pack,...
    Sporran!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    My grammar teachers were strict: "To each his own..."

People make this mistake here often and it drives me BONKERS!!!
    That's dated - it comes from the days where a hypothetical person, or a person whose gender was unknown, was always referred to using the male pronoun. These days, the correct form is to use they/their rather them him/his!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I knew these had to get put up pretty soon...they come out next Thursday!

Leech Figure Page
    Hurricane Hordak Figure Page

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

The ugly, unwanted, dial is why I am not buying this Hordak.

I'm a principled collector.

(Plus, the next Hordak variant I'll buy must have an "updated" head)
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I guess i dont get the hate for the dial. Its on the back of the figure and I like the nods to the old toys. And I love the Vac Metal, makes me sad I dont have it on He-Ro. Think it will just make this Hordak stand out on my shelf.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

I'm pretty indifferent about the dial. But I don't think the dial itself wasted anything from the tooling budget. More than likely, the new torso was tooled so that the armor can have the vac metal. The vac metal was the deciding factor for me in buying Hurricane Hordak. Had he just been painted gold, I would have passed on him.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Sporran!

That's dated - it comes from the days where a hypothetical person, or a person whose gender was unknown, was always referred to using the male pronoun. These days, the correct form is to use they/their rather them him/his!
    Actually, if it's singular, as in "each person," you would write, "To each person his or her own." This eliminates "they/their" as in plural, as well as any potential gender misuse/implications/generalizations. Trust me, I deal with this day-in and day-out.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Robot Knights 2) Stridor 3) Night Stalker 4) Tung Lashor 5) Squeeeze 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back-half!) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 12) Saurod 13) Blast-Attak 14) Karg 15) Gwildor 16) Lodar 17) Mask of Power Demons

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    I guess i don't get the hate for the dial. Its on the back of the figure and I like the nods to the old toys.
    Again, if you only pose your figures facing forward it's absolutely not a problem. If you pose them in side views "facing off" against one another it looks stupid.

If they had stylized the dial somewhat to make it look like it was actually part of his armor, or make it look more vicious, since Hordak is a cyborg type character, I could have dealt with it. I still wouldn't have like it, but I wouldn't have been as irritated.

As it is, it's pointless, ugly, and it specifically goes against the stated reasons for this line.

Stupid dial.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearmax
    I knew these had to get put up pretty soon...they come out next Thursday!

Leech Figure Page
    Hurricane Hordak Figure Page
    Leech looks amazing. Greatest toy ever. The one figure I've been waiting above all others since this line started. I can't wait.

Vintage Dial Hordak looks okay in his pictures. I really hope I like him once he's in hand.