Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a review of Hurricane Hordak yet?

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I knew these had to get put up pretty soon...they come out next Thursday!

Leech Figure Page
    Hurricane Hordak Figure Page
    Hordak's armor is definitely longer than the original.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    My grammar teachers were strict: "To each his own..."

People make this mistake here often and it drives me BONKERS!!!
    Heck. If you're going to go down that road, I'll continue.

His would be gender specific, which is not indicative of this thread or forum. One could instead change the noun to match the plural possessive adjective with "To all their own". That sounds dumb. I'm sure if a better singular adjective existed, it would be great. But there is not. Actually, that's debatable because The Chicago Manual of Style does not acknowledge their, but The Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary does. I suppose it then becomes a matter of choosing your definitive guide.

Ragardless,Reboot expressed his views with language. I understood his views. So language was served. I apologize that his choice drives you bonkers, but I believe we must dedicate our time to arguing important issues such as whether Vikor was present at The First Ultimate Battleground. I implore us all to find peace where we can find it. There are probably grammatical errors in my post. I hope my thoughts have been conveyed to you.

To all their own.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Actually, if it's singular, as in "each person," you would write, "To each person his or her own." This eliminates "they/their" as in plural, as well as any potential gender misuse/implications/generalizations. Trust me, I deal with this day-in and day-out.
    I'm sure, but "Their" is acceptable as a singular without having to go through the clunky his/her:
    Quote Originally Posted by Concise Oxford English Dictionary (11th edition)
    their
    n possessive determiner
    2 belonging to or associated with a person of unspecified sex (used in place of either 'his' or 'his or her').

USAGE
    ...On the use of their in the singular to mean 'his or her', see usage at they.

Quote Originally Posted by entry on 'they'
    USAGE
    It is now widely held that the traditional use of he to refer to a person of either sex is outdated and sexist; the alternative, he or she, can be clumsy. It is now generally acceptable, therefore, to use they (with its counterparts them, their, and themselves) instead. This is especially the case where they follows an indefinite pronoun such as anyone or someone (anyone can join if they are a resident). In view of the growing acceptance of they, it is used in this dictionary in many cases where he would have been used formerly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers
    http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/main?query=their&title=21st
    their adj 1 [...] 2 his or her
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/their
    their
    adj \thər, ˈther\
    Definition of THEIR
    : his or her : his, her, its —used with an indefinite third person singular antecedent
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
    their
    (used after an indefinite singular antecedent in place of the definite masculine form his or the definite feminine form her): Someone left their book on the table. Did everyone bring their lunch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiktionary
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/their
    Pronoun
    their
    2. (possessive) Belonging to someone of unknown gender.
    * 2006, St. John Ambulance, First on the Scene: Student Reference Guide, ISBN 1-894070-56-9, Lesson 2, page 3:

Place the casualty on their back with feet and legs raised—this is called the shock position. [emphasis in original] Once the casualty is positioned, cover them to preserve body heat, but do not overheat.
    Can we now move on?

Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    Ragardless,Reboot expressed his views with language. I understood his views. So language was served. I apologize that his choice drives you bonkers, but I believe we must dedicate our time to arguing important issues such as whether Vikor was present at The First Ultimate Battleground. I implore us all to find peace where we can find it. There are probably grammatical errors in my post. I hope my thoughts have been conveyed to you.

To all their own.
    I've known Reboot for a long time.

I'm sure he didn't take my post as an attack, nor as an attempt to disturb the "peace."

If he did take offense, i would apologize.

I can't apologize for sharing something I was taught.

That particular phrase is used often on this forum.

The fact that you have a problem with my addressing this makes me sad.

I wish you would not have had a negative reaction to my correction.

I suppose, as is all too common, appreciation for our language is unimportant online.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    I've known Reboot for a long time.

I'm sure he didn't take my post as an attack, nor as an attempt to disturb the "peace."
    For the record, I didn't and no offence was taken.

I posted my initial reply just to say that that's the way I've been taught, and the dictionary definitions to try and end this now-out-of-hand tangent!

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    I'm sure, but "Their" is acceptable as a singular without having to go through the clunky his/her:

Can we now move on?
    It's becoming more "commonly" accepted, but doesn't mean it is what is to be or should be. This is a misuse of the language that is now being accepted like the constant use of "got," such as America's Got Talent. It baffles me when kids say that "Someone placed his or her bag on the table" sounds awkward when "Someone placed their bag on the table" sounds right to them; it's because it is misuse of the language that has "transformed" or more aptly been lazily accepted.

We will all soon speak in the most basic English.

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

I tweeted Dan on Saturday the 3rd and he replied saying he hadn't received a review sample yet
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

-Chancellor Palpatine

Quote Originally Posted by sithjedi171 View Post
    I tweeted Dan on Saturday the 3rd and he replied saying he hadn't received a review sample yet
    Yeah, he posted today, in this very thread, that he hasn't received the figure yet. Thanks for the heads up.

The fact that you have a problem with my addressing this makes me sad.

I wish you would not have had a negative reaction to my correction.

I suppose, as is all too common, appreciation for our language is unimportant online.
    I did not take offense to your post. I certainly didn't meant to imply Reboot had been offended. I'm truly sorry if my post was thought to be made in "angry voice."

I have tremendous respect for our language and agree it is often abused online. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to participate in the discussion (in, what I felt, was a respectful tone - sorry it was not)

I do however acknowledge that several parts of our complex language are in dispute; proper use of split infinitives for example. I enjoy educated discussions on the topic, but I accept that other educated people subscribe to different sets of standards. Whether I agree or disagree with those standards, I respect that this is different than simply being lazy with the language.

So again, no offense in the slightest intended towards you bcrduke. I don't want to fight anyone here. We all love the same things. So I offer peace and apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    try and end this now-out-of-hand tangent!
    Agreed! Sorry to slightly prolong the tangent. I look forward to more info on Hordak.

Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    Whether I agree or disagree with those standards, I respect that this is different than simply being lazy with the language.
    Ah, so now you're calling me out!

Well, for clarity purposes, I'm not saying you or anyone else in particular is being "lazy" because people are going away from what was originally deemed "proper," but we, as a general culture and society, are dumbing the language down. Shakespearean and elegant is not where our language is headed.

We are headed toward merely being understood instead of being able to articulate and communicate in an elegant, sophisticated way.

um can we get back to just disagreeing on the figures and not our grammar

becouse me dun do tink tihs figur B gooder

the ignore list is my new best friend

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    I guess i dont get the hate for the dial. Its on the back of the figure and I like the nods to the old toys.
    You might understand the hate for the dial when 200X figures get essential details lost (200X Evil-Lyn has her own dress--the only thing seperating her from Teela or 200X He-Man's sporran is needed to further differentiate himself from the other He-Man figures), while the 4H go the extra mile for vintage characters, adding unneeded stuff like tooled dials.

We get tooling for Hurricane Hordak dials, but not tooling for 200X _______'s ________ -- stuff that we've BEEN asking or campaigning for. Wait for the other Timberland to drop.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

You might understand the hate for the dial when 200X figures get essential details lost (200X Evil-Lyn has her own dress--the only thing seperating her from Teela or 200X He-Man's sporran is needed to further differentiate himself from the other He-Man figures), while the 4H go the extra mile for vintage characters, adding unneeded stuff like tooled dials.

We get tooling for Hurricane Hordak dials, but not tooling for 200X _______'s ________ -- stuff that we've BEEN asking or campaigning for. Wait for the other Timberland to drop.
    Im a 200X fan also, but I guess I just dont think that dial for hordak = no new 200X item, I dont think its a choice of one or the other.

And Im not saying you guys are wrong for not liking, I just dont think its a problem, some people do, no biggie

Also the same argument could be said for the tooling spent on Battleground Teela j/k

Im a 200X fan also, but I guess I just dont think that dial for hordak = no new 200X item, I dont think its a choice of one or the other.

And Im not saying you guys are wrong for not liking, I just dont think its a problem, some people do, no biggie
    I'll happily explain further...it's seen more like a WASTE of tooling dollars, something that some 200X fans in particular are pretty sensitive to, considering the repeated back and forth battles that Mattel Management and some 200X fans have had on Ask Matty over certain 200X items or sculpts.

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

I knew these had to get put up pretty soon...they come out next Thursday!

Leech Figure Page
    Hurricane Hordak Figure Page
    Anyone else annoyed that the pics of Hordak loose, do not show his Horde arm band, i know its on him MOC, but why can they never get their loose pics right?

I'll happily explain further...it's seen more like a WASTE of tooling dollars, something that some 200X fans in particular are pretty sensitive to, considering the repeated back and forth battles that Mattel Management and some 200X fans have had on Ask Matty over certain 200X items or sculpts.
    so is it the dial or the vac metal that bugs ya or both? b/c its not the same armor that came with the first hordak, so dial or no dial it still would have been a new tool for his chest piece
    Last edited by fireball13z; September 6, 2011 at 07:59pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

so is it the dial or the vac metal that bugs ya or both? b/c its not the same armor that came with the first hordak, so dial or no dial it still would have been a new tool for his chest piece

It isn't the same armor as the original release? I thought it was, save for the back?

I'm also against vac-metal, so I'm hoping that Weapons Pack 3 comes through with a painted gold armor. Unfortunately, the stomach will still be vac-metalized.

That chest armor piece is longer.

http://powet.tv/powetblog/wp-content...ane_hordak.jpg

It isn't the same armor as the original release? I thought it was, save for the back?

I'm also against vac-metal, so I'm hoping that Weapons Pack 3 comes through with a painted gold armor.
    if you look at this pic

you can see how the armor "clips in" where the first release has little pegs that go into holes for a more seamless look, I think b/c of the vac hard plastic piece they had to go with these new clips and they couldnt just use the same front, since it would have different attachment points

also looking at that painted pic, i am even more happier with the vac metal, the painted looks too boring

http://powet.tv/powetblog/wp-content...ane_hordak.jpg

I'm also against vac-metal, so I'm hoping that Weapons Pack 3 comes through with a painted gold armor. Unfortunately, the stomach will still be vac-metalized.
    Do people just not read my posts at all? LOL.

It can't be the original. Vac metal requires hard plastic. The original used plugs and holes which requires pliable plastic.It has a hook-tab closure on the back now like the vintage figures. So it had to be a new tool.

Heroic Warrior
    im rather on the fence about this one, the new arm is cool, but im not sure about the gold armor and im getting to the point where i should cut down a bit

Heroic Warrior
    I'm a bit nervous about HH's preview not being out yet.

It is the first time that we have a vac-metallized figure, and I'd like to see what quality they reached (or lack thereof).

Then, there's that dial thing, and also the long loincloth (= legs movements hinderance ?)...

We already are the 7th, and he's released on the 15th. That leaves just a week. Hope we get Pixel Dan's preview very soon.

and that's the biggest problem with Hurricane Hordak... Mattel always claims "We can't do _____ due to tooling costs, etc." Now the ONE time where reusing Armor (Hordak's painted gold...) was an acceptable solution, they go out of their way to sculpt a brand new armor and sacrificing tooling for something else... Like Leech's second head (for those who wanted the exact 80s toy head) or BGEL's dress, etc.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

I think it's awesome that this thread turned into a grammar lesson. I am an English teacher, so I really enjoyed the arguments. However, the main concern is that HH hasn't been sent to anyone yet. I wonder if the figures are simply not ready; are there are any imperfections causing delay?
    Once we get a review I think we will all have a better idea of just how well the Vac was executed. Hope we get something soon!!! (yes, triple punctuation is incorrect)
    Check out my band The Caterpillar Book on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    and that's the biggest problem with Hurricane Hordak... Mattel always claims "We can't do _____ due to tooling costs, etc." Now the ONE time where reusing Armor (Hordak's painted gold...) was an acceptable solution, they go out of their way to sculpt a brand new armor and sacrificing tooling for something else... Like Leech's second head (for those who wanted the exact 80s toy head) or BGEL's dress, etc.
    Leech has a ton of new parts, its not like he didnt get a new head b/c hordak got new armor, leech got new chest, new loin cloth, new hands, new feet, new wrists, and shoulder armor, so think he got plenty of new tooling, also his head is very close to the 80s, if they did a 2nd head, it would most likely be closer to the 200X leech.

If you look at PD vid review of Leech you can see his head is very 80s figure head.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Acceptable to who? I'd rather have the vac metal instead of a second Leech head. And we couldn't have had vac metal on the old armor.