Thread: How did Strong-Or become my favorite figure?

How did Strong-Or become my favorite figure?

Okay, so that might be overstating it just a bit. But not much.

I was able to score a MOC Strong-Or for $18 on eBay (local pickup, even). I got it because I'm a huge Filmation fan and a Strongarm figure is...well...cool. I didn't expect him to become one of my absolute favorite figures in my collection, though. So what does he have that is triggering something in me?

I think it is this: He is simple and cheesey, all the while displaying a super strong does of badass-ery. In short, he seems to represent to me so much of what MOTU has to offer. Between the comics, the original toy line, and the Filmation cartoon, the Strong-Or figure combines everything that the brand has to offer in one package. I love everything about the brand -from the awesome to the ultimately ridiculous. This is what makes MOTU unique to me. I can find almost anything there; something for any mood. To me, Strong-Or (Strongarm) has it and is a sort of microcosm of the brand. I figured that I would like the figure well enough. But, frankly, I'm surprised at my reaction to it-so much nostalgia for a figure that wasn't around back in the '80's.

Anyone else feeling it? Or what figures are you most drawn to and why do you think that is?

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Profess-Or View Post
    How did Strong-Or become my favorite figure?
    He complimented your eyes?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

We all have our surprise favourites or guilty pleasures I guess.

Fangman for some reason has always been my surprise favourite since I got him.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

He did complement my eyes... and then clocked me in the jaw with his extra large first. (Just another proof that he has it all.)

Plundor does that for me Can't help loving that damn evil bunny!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    We all have our surprise favourites or guilty pleasures I guess.

Fangman for some reason has always been my surprise favourite since I got him.
    Karatti being one of mine. I think because he's like the Masters of the Universe "Predator".

I never even considered buying him when he was revealed. I don't like filmation, but liked some of the figures. He wasn't one of them, initially. But I ended up getting him as some photos grew on me and I got a deal on him...great figure! Not my favourite figure in the line, and not my even my favourite filmation figure (that honour goes to Plundor), but I like him better than any of the other filmation figures. He has a nice colour combo and looks cool. He also looks great with the unpainted SLL mace from the weapons pak.

I really wanted to like him, but he doesn't have enough paint apps and so ends up looking a bit cheap to me. Just a bit more shading and I would have liked him a lot
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

For me it is Nepthu... When he was released I wasn't upset like some on here, but I wasn't thrilled either. But once I had him in hand, he just grew on me. I gave him the gold spear from the Weapons Pack, and a DC Direct Black Adam scarab necklace, and I ended up liking him even more...
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Plundor does that for me Can't help loving that damn evil bunny!
    I love Plundor too.

(I even opened an Extra for Easter, and made my other on into a pink Cosmic Enforcer)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Profess-Or View Post
    Okay, so that might be overstating it just a bit. But not much.

I was able to score a MOC Strong-Or for $18 on eBay (local pickup, even). I got it because I'm a huge Filmation fan and a Strongarm figure is...well...cool. I didn't expect him to become one of my absolute favorite figures in my collection, though. So what does he have that is triggering something in me?

I think it is this: He is simple and cheesey, all the while displaying a super strong does of badass-ery. In short, he seems to represent to me so much of what MOTU has to offer. Between the comics, the original toy line, and the Filmation cartoon, the Strong-Or figure combines everything that the brand has to offer in one package. I love everything about the brand -from the awesome to the ultimately ridiculous. This is what makes MOTU unique to me. I can find almost anything there; something for any mood. To me, Strong-Or (Strongarm) has it and is a sort of microcosm of the brand. I figured that I would like the figure well enough. But, frankly, I'm surprised at my reaction to it-so much nostalgia for a figure that wasn't around back in the '80's.

Anyone else feeling it? Or what figures are you most drawn to and why do you think that is?
    Don't forget to fix his neck...
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...&highlight=fix

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I really wanted to like him, but he doesn't have enough paint apps and so ends up looking a bit cheap to me. Just a bit more shading and I would have liked him a lot
    Yeah, he was one of my most-anticipated and I absolutely loved him in the cartoon. And it's fun to read that he's become a fave with some, but I kinda don't like the way he came out and it's something to do with the inability to get a decent pose out of him, plus the yellow glove and the way the head sculpt and spikes came out. Lack of good paint apps/proper shading is definitely a factor, for me.
    That said, I gave him the mace from Castle Grayskull and it looks appropriate for him!

Okay... and that neck fix is something I NEED to do now! That's what one of the huge problems with him is! I didn't even realize that was it either, I just knew something about him seemed "stumpy-looking".
    Last edited by zodak74; May 21, 2015 at 09:10pm.
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

All of the Filmation MotU figures are pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    All of the Filmation MotU figures are pretty great.
    I totally agree. Strong-or, Nepthu and Plundor were all figures / characters I didn't care for (or even know about before they were revealed). But their simple, fun designs were perfectly translated into classics form and make for fantastic figures. Now I love them!

Same exact story with Shokoti, Huntara, and Lizard Man too! I had no idea who they were, but I LOVE the figures.

At this point, it almost doesn't matter who they incorporate into the Classics line lol. The Four Horsemen always turn out a product I can get excited about. I think a lot of it has to do with the unified scale. Probably my favorite thing about Classics is that it blends all eras, cartoons, comics, concepts, etc. into a single, cohesive, expansive universe.

Heroic Warrior
    Fang man is my filmation gem.. no idea, but he kicks ass..

Heroic Podcaster
    Strong Arm was the one guy I loved from the FILMation cartoon as a kid that I actively looked for in the toy aisles and, of course, never found. That was when I first realized the cartoon and the toys were not lined up very well (or at all) so I began to greatly prefer the toys (and my own stories) to FILMation.

Fast forward 30 years and I love all the FILMation figures but Strong Arm is my absolute favorite. Easily one of my Top-10 MOTUC overall.

This FILMation sub is what the 30th Anniversary sub should have been. This sub was pretty much perfect (very close anyway) while the 30th was, to me, a nearly complete fail. One figure that felt very 30th Anniversary (Photog), one well-done McFarlane figure that has nothing to do with MOTU (Draego-Man) and four bad-to-awful figures - GrayskullMan, Cy-Chop, LazerLot and Spector. One MOTU figure and 5 vanity projects.

The FILMation sub really celebrated the history of MOTU by merging two of the greatest expressions of the property ever - action figures and FILMation. I know it wasn't for everyone, but I felt it was a real high water mark for the brand. I even had Queen Marlena, Prince Adam, Orko and Cringer custom carded so they would fit in with the FILMation collection.

Strong Arm is terrific!
    THE VINTAGE-TO-CLASSICS COUNTDOWN - 11 TO GO
    HEROIC WARRIORS - Flying Fists He-Man - Lazer Light He-Man - ROTAR!
    EVIL WARRIORS - Lazer Light Skeletor - Saurod - Terror Claws Skeletor - TWISTOID!
    HORDE - Buzzsaw Hordak - Dragstor - MULTI-BOT!
    SNAKE MEN - SSSQUEEZE!

Heroic Warrior
    I know I'm going to get "Heat" for this BUT...I'm a fan of The Mighty Spector. I really like the idea of a time agent , it flows with Gwildor and the Cosmic Key story line and the figure just is accessorized very well. My only criticism is that the mask needed to be less Deadpool/Spider-Man. My runner up for great figure is Stratos. He just stands out on my shelf, he's not even my favorite character. Haha.

Honestly, Strong-Or (I don't call him that of course.) is one of my least favorite releases, alongside Nepthu, Batros, and Eternos Palace Randor. I love Filmation, but those are my biggest misses, nevertheless.

On the other hand, some of my favorites include UNO, Photog, and Spector, so my tastes are obviously out of the norm.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Heroic Warrior
    Also, icer is one of my favorites. . Him and fang man.. I think they are both awesome.

Evil Master of Ducks Squishy Duck Man's Avatar
    Yes, Strong ARM is definitely one of my favorites from the line. He's a bit absurd, loudly coloured but he feels like a vintage MOTU figure that was updated to me. I certainly count him among the front rank of Skeletor's minions!
    Top 5 most wanted MOTUC figures: Lord Masque / Saurod / Mult-Bot / Angella / Sssqueeze

Happily invading Castle Grayskull with hippos is my true hobby.

Heroic Warrior
    With all the "stuff" I listed in the Melaktha thread---the "cheerleading" so to speak---there's one thing I didn't mention: Melaktha's oddly designed glaringly bright-blue T-shirt!

Other than being a often-featured Filmation-only character, his bright blue shirts, I think is indicative of the "Filmation cheesy color scheme" or "Filmation wacky design" aspect that's been brought up in this thread.

Strong-Or is pretty cool in that respect, but as far as the odder figures, in Filmation, I'm more a Fang-Man guy myself----Karatti in MTUC NA? Definitely! I was actually surprised to see that MicroMan's price guide had Karatti ranking as low as he was ranked. As The All American said---he's like the MOTU Predator for Despondos sakes!

Maybe it's the "newness" of Blast-Attak.... but his odd amalgam of colors and textures put into that sleeker MOTUC body makes Blast-Attak a top favorite, if not my most favorite.

Cool thread though----deceptively "Strong-Or" focused, but a thread that has morphed into a discussion about what I feel is one of the coolest aspects of the MOTUC line, that being: The bold color and unique texture designs of ALL He-Man media characters adapted with great talent and success across the MOTUC line, a line with SO many figures to spread that boldness and talent across.

I don't think there's ever been such a winning action figure line----nor do I think there ever will be another one in the future.

(Next time we discuss the colorfully surprising adaptation of NA Skeletor into his MOTUC form---how about the nuanced blended paint apps on that craggy skull, people!)

I hear where your coming from Profess-Or, I love the Strong-arm figure as well. my only gripe with him, is his head and right arm have a sort of dull gun metal color. that dose'int fit in well with eternias strongest metal in the universe. should had more of a shine, but other then that his powers are awesome. hes known to have gone toe to toe with He man, and won. on at least one occasion in FILMATION. and not to mention hes the best figure for punching that training devise from Grayskull, so yes in agreement.