Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is MOTUC your last stop?

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar

Is MOTUC your last stop?

I love MOTUC, but I'm kinda looking forward to it to end in a way so I can disconnect from the possible continued debasement of this property.

Example:

This rumor/talk that Battle Cat is now a humanoid mentor to He-Man.

I honestly am just mainly a toy collector, and revel in what's also connected to that great vintage stuff from my youth - Golden Books, vintage comics, cartoons, etc... It's why I love the .org's historical data and some of the vintage era finds some great fans uncover and share.

I'm not angry about it, I learned back when New Adventures took over, properties will be utilized for whatever means. Unless you have the original creative formula and creators continuing their work and protecting it, it's prone to be governed by lesser (or very different) stewards. I don't want to see Masters of the Universe further degraded, but it likely will, and I feel the need to disconnect so the taste left in my mouth isn't so bad. This is why I don't buy the new comics. It's why I don't really read the bios. This is even why I didn't delve into 200x much beyond the toys. Darn Classics has been a wonderful second chance for me to capture the best of Masters of the Universe.

I probably sound like an old cruddy vintage fan, and maybe I am. I'm not precluding myself from buying anything Masters of the Universe related going forward, but I just don't see it getting better as the brand is "moved forward". All properties tend to deviate, sometimes drastically, from their original feel and purpose. I don't want to see He-Man portrayed as a murderer or Skeletor as some minor bad guy. I also don't want the Son of He-Man pitch pulled back out of the trashcan, lol. I want a simple continuation line/story where the He-Man and the Heroic Warriors have new allies that fight new villains amongst the Evil Warriors, Horde, Snake Men, etc.... Same goes for Princess of Power too. I'll likely and happily buy whatever remaining Classics style figures of missing characters (hope we get them) and new characters (along the lines of Draego-Man), but Classics is my planned last foray.

Who else feels like Masters of the Universe Classics, for the most part, is their last stop?

I agree with you totally!!! I hate the bios and I hate the new comics. This is not my MOTU. I promised that if the 200X sub went through I would sub for whatever Mattel offered in 2016 even though I really don't care for anything else. This will be the last toyline I collect since new people will mold the property into some perverted vision I don't recognize or care for.

I can't imagine collecting any new MOTU line. Classics is so comprehensive and amazing that I can not see it being improved upon. Plus I just don't think I have it in me to spend so much money to rebuy all these characters again. Who knows though?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeledor View Post
    I agree with you totally!!! I hate the bios and I hate the new comics. This is not my MOTU. I promised that if the 200X sub went through I would sub for whatever Mattel offered in 2016 even though I really don't care for anything else. This will be the last toyline I collect since new people will mold the property into some perverted vision I don't recognize or care for.
    You're opinion is certainly valid, but I would counter that "new people" does not equal a perversion of the original vision. For example, and apples to oranges here, folks seem genuinely impressed with the new Star Wars trailer, a film being made completely independently from the creator of the original. So I'd say it's entirely possible that new perspectives could hold true to original concepts while at the same time making things new again.

Quote Originally Posted by skelethon View Post
    For example, and apples to oranges here, folks seem genuinely impressed with the new Star Wars trailer, a film being made completely independently from the creator of the original.
    This is such a misconception. Lucas and Abrams have discussed the universe and "do's and don'ts" many times. So while Lucas isn't directing nor did he produce or write the screenplay, he ultimately has involvement. The same can't be said for a MOTU movie going forward at this point.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Roton 3) Karg 4) Lodar 5) Mask of Power Demons 6) Road Ripper 7) Vintage Fright Zone 12) Dragon Walker

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    This is such a misconception. Lucas and Abrams have discussed the universe and "do's and don'ts" many times. So while Lucas isn't directing nor did he produce or write the screenplay, he ultimately has involvement. The same can't be said for a MOTU movie going forward at this point.
    Is Mattel not collaborating with the movie people? That'd be analogous to Lucas' involvement.

Mattel appears to be collaborating with Rob David on future projects and the New52 comics at least.

I'm excited to see what comes next. I really don't think that Classics is my last stop, as some of the stuff teased for 2016 has at least hinted that the buck usage will remain, and that there will be some worthwhile 2.0s as well as some more surprises.

The concepts and ideas that have been shown in the future development of the property don't bother me. I remember a time when Filmation took my He-Man and turned it on its head. I hated it at first, but I got used to it because I loved the property so much. This is what happens in this franchise constantly. It starts out with one concept, re-imagines it, adds to it, re-imagines it again, reboots it, adds more new stuff, and reboots it again. He-Man isn't any one thing. I can see how it may be to some - and that's fine - that's personal preference. For myself, I'm really enjoying the new DC comics, and any new re-imagining is going to make me feel much like I did when I was 9 and I saw that new cartoon.

If they make cool looking toys, I'll keep buying them.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I wouldn't put much stock into that Battlecat rumor. We haven't seen it in a bio and it's been seven years? Kind of late to introduce it to Classics now.

As far as Classics being the last stop, that depends on what is next. If a re-imagining blew me away like 200X did, I'll collect it.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Heroic Warrior
    The way things have been going story wise with this line over the last decade or so, I think I may be done with MotU. I honestly have no interest in the new movie, and I hate what DC has done with their comics. I hate when firmly established franchises/characters are rebooted to something totally unfamiliar. That’s what’s happened in the comics and with MotUC. Unless MotU goes back to the spirit of what it used to be, I just don’t want to have much to do with MotU. I can always go back to Filmation, the original mini-comics, and the Marvel Star comics for my MotU enjoyment.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, stratosfear, and Mulletor.

Quote Originally Posted by Poweron View Post
    Is Mattel not collaborating with the movie people? That'd be analogous to Lucas' involvement.
    George Lucas created Star Wars. Unless there is someone at Mattel who had a key role in creating MOTU, it's hardly the same comparison.

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Roton 3) Karg 4) Lodar 5) Mask of Power Demons 6) Road Ripper 7) Vintage Fright Zone 12) Dragon Walker

Heroic Warrior
    To answer your question:No

Let's keep this train rolling. just becacuse the figures will come to an end here in a year or doesn't mean we should automatically stop the line.

as for your spoiler....

ARE YOU ******** ME?!

NO. SERIOUSLY. ARE YOU ******** ME?!

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I love MOTUC, but I'm kinda looking forward to it to end in a way so I can disconnect from the possible continued debasement of this property.

Example:
    I honestly am just mainly a toy collector, and revel in what's also connected to that great vintage stuff from my youth - Golden Books, vintage comics, cartoons, etc... It's why I love the .org's historical data and some of the vintage era finds some great fans uncover and share.

I'm not angry about it, I learned back when New Adventures took over, properties will be utilized for whatever means. Unless you have the original creative formula and creators continuing their work and protecting it, it's prone to be governed by lesser (or very different) stewards. I don't want to see Masters of the Universe further degraded, but it likely will, and I feel the need to disconnect so the taste left in my mouth isn't so bad. This is why I don't buy the new comics. It's why I don't really read the bios. This is even why I didn't delve into 200x much beyond the toys. Darn Classics has been a wonderful second chance for me to capture the best of Masters of the Universe.

I probably sound like an old cruddy vintage fan, and maybe I am. I'm not precluding myself from buying anything Masters of the Universe related going forward, but I just don't see it getting better as the brand is "moved forward". All properties tend to deviate, sometimes drastically, from their original feel and purpose. I don't want to see He-Man portrayed as a murderer or Skeletor as some minor bad guy. I also don't want the Son of He-Man pitch pulled back out of the trashcan, lol. I want a simple continuation line/story where the He-Man and the Heroic Warriors have new allies that fight new villains amongst the Evil Warriors, Horde, Snake Men, etc.... Same goes for Princess of Power too. I'll likely and happily buy whatever remaining Classics style figures of missing characters (hope we get them) and new characters (along the lines of Draego-Man), but Classics is my planned last foray.

Who else feels like Masters of the Universe Classics, for the most part, is their last stop?

George Lucas created Star Wars. Unless there is someone at Mattel who had a key role in creating MOTU, it's hardly the same comparison.
    As I said, apples to oranges. I don't know why someone has to make a federal case out of the comparison I said up front was not even a perfect comparison. But I think if you can get over the need to simply be argumentative you should be able to see the point that I was trying to make that a new creative team can create new content while staying true to the spirit of the original source material.

Yeah, they'd have to hire Mark Taylor as a consultant
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I've always catered to the old Toyguru line that MOTUC is an avatar of our imaginations. I love the bios, because they attempt to streamline a convoluted and contradictory canon into something that makes it all work. Whether you like it or not, who cares? It's there to try and offer something for everyone. If there's something you don't like, ignore it. To quote Egg Shen, "We take what we want, and leave the rest. Just like your salad bar."

I mean, I could care less about the new comic. I don't read it. It's not MOTU to me. Will I incorporate interesting elements of it? Maybe. For me, MOTUC has always been about revisiting my past and enjoying the old characters in a new and fantastic 4H way. And along the ride, I get to see characters realized that I never had as a kid.

I don't look forward to the day the line ends. It'll be a sad one for me. But just because I have a Mighty Spector on my shelf, doesn't mean that I ever look at it or think about Lt. Spector when I envision He-Man adventures.

The day I stop collecting MOTUC when it is still rolling will be when they stop making Filmation or NA figures and focus exclusively on new characters. If I get offered a 12 figure lineup devoid of Lodar or Evil Robot or Songster or Nocturna, but full of brand spanking new figures, I am out. I don't mind new guys, but the .Org poll alone showed how many fan demanded vintage/NA era figures are wanted by the fans.

If there is anything anyone should be worried about, it is the new movie and how that will impact the brand moving forward. Mattel could close shop entirely to focus on a movie inspired lineup. That's what scares me.
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, LODAR, EVIL ROBOT, SAGITAR, HAWKE, UNCLE MONTORK & DREE-ELLE, TUVAR, BADDHRA, KARG

I am of mixed opinion here...

I love the MOTUC line and have said on many occasions that whilst I am a MOTU fan rather than a toyfan, my expenditure has been such that I won't be starting over and collecting all these characters again in a different scale or with a different design style. MOTUC is my line, it is everything I ever wanted from a MOTU property and then some. I love all the obscure characters, I love all the crazy figures we have now that I never dreamed of owning and I love how deep we have gone in the mythos of this property. I even like the new characters that we have been able to collect and learn about and the concepts that have been finally immortalised in plastic. I have no doubt in my mind that we will never ever get a line this big for this property again.

I also like the cannon, the bios, the storyline and the direction the MOTUC plot developments have gone. Now, I won't say that I am happy with all of it. I think that some of the very new inclusions from the mini comics are a bit out there and there are a few small details that I loath weaved into the overall story (Mer-man being decapitated etc) but overall... I am very happy with pretty much everything.

So yeah, I guess MOTUC is my last stop... I won't be going all in on another line, but its for financial reasons (and space reasons) I don't see any of the MOTUC era changes or developments as a debasement of this property at all...

Of course having said all that I did buy the mini figures... so maybe I will fold like a cheap suit and buy the next line and the line after that and the line after that and so on and so forth until I drown in naked plastic men
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    No way man! MOTU for life!
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Let me just add and/or clarify, I don't want MOTUC/Classics style to end but I do look forward to the day I can disconnect and get off at the last stop before hearing or seeing more Masters of the Universe media that I just shake my head at. Whoever enjoys what's next even if it's vastly different, more power to you.

I'm just here for the toys. It's been awesome. But I'm getting off at the last stop. Too bad I still want a ton of vintage vehicles, beasts, playsets (c'mon Snake Mountain), missing remaining characters, and rare characters (c'mon Shezar)! As for new characters, I would love if Mattel would let us fans vote on unseen Create-a-Character contest entries from a few years ago. I bet there's a lot of great ideas that were generated by us who understood the property the best.

The "Battle Cat-man-mentor to He-man" thing is really, really dumb. He-man has "mentors" --Man at Arms, Sorceress.
    Twisting Battle Cats place in the mythos to fill some other archetype smacks of too-many-cooks type hack writing.

I totally get why folks dont dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Yeah, they'd have to hire Mark Taylor as a consultant
    Darn skippy, sir!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by skelethon View Post
    As I said, apples to oranges. I don't know why someone has to make a federal case out of the comparison I said up front was not even a perfect comparison. But I think if you can get over the need to simply be argumentative you should be able to see the point that I was trying to make that a new creative team can create new content while staying true to the spirit of the original source material.
    You made a statement that was untrue. I noted it. Go ahead and scold me for it. People generally don't like being wrong. I understand that.

I am starting to get buyers fatigue so it's a good possibility this is my last stop. They've just been releasing too much too fast the past few years.

Vintage Webstor was actually my original last stop. After I bought that figure, which turns out to be late in the game ('87), I ceased to acknowledge MOTU as a viable option. The movie felt weak, a little after the fact, and I just couldn't get into it as a kid. It disappointed me further. By the time New Adventures was on, I had nothing for MOTU and NA just created disgust where there was merely apathy.

200x comes around and I finally remembered why I loved MOTU and I was very appreciative but still hesitant to immerse myself.

Classics line.....enter Draego-Man! I have to say this figure and concept took me back to the fun of my eternally Battle Damaged He-man alongside Man-At-Arms crashing a Wind Raider into a Skeletor Tank made out of Construx( which later was modified into a Party Wagon). The MOTUC gave me an opportunity to see how the mini-comics, NA, Filmation, PoP, Movie, 200x ( a few others i'm missing as well) interpretations tested, challenged, and furthered the original figures. There are no absolute instances of good or bad, it's the individual but I don't have to tell you all that.

I don't think anyone should declare a last stop but should always get off every few stops to take a look around.

At the time I thought 200X would be my last stop and I turned out to be very, very wrong on that. With the DC comic and promise of a movie I certainly couldn't say MOTUC is my last stop for sure.

You made a statement that was untrue. I noted it. Go ahead and scold me for it. People generally don't like being wrong. I understand that.
    What is your problem? Anyone who has paid attention to the development of the new film (as I have and clearly you have) knows that Lucas was a "consultant" and yes he developed a treatment that wasn't even used. Again, in case you still aren't paying attention to the actual point and still just arguing semantics is that just because an original creator is no longer working on a property, that does not mean that the spirit of that work can not live on faithfully through other peoples contributions.
    Last edited by skelethon; April 18, 2015 at 09:00pm.

i see MOTUC as a dream come true, i finally got the vintage characters the way i always dreamed of: fully articulated and poseable. And it went beyond that to give us all sorts of unreleased characters from every corner of the MOTUverse. To me it is the last stop as i do not see how Mattel can ever top what i just mentioned.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not sure yet.id want figures of lady slither kittrina vultak as well as some of the cac entries.if it continues fine if not it was a fantastic relaunch which made an old friend and his world relevant once again

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I reserve my judgement until I see where the line goes. In my opinion, the SOH direction they chose to take sucks pretty bad---but maybe they can do better. If ts closer to 200x I will be on board, if its closer to SCOTTLAND I am out. Time will tell.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

I'll be pretty much content at the conclusion of Classics in 2015. I have more MOTU than I ever thought I'd "need", and with vintage PoP being complete I am going to feel pretty good about calling it a day. I will still keep an eye on what they are doing, and I even might pick up a figure here and there (like a Teela 2.0, etc.) that appeals to me, but I will see my collection as complete and won't be following MOTU to another style/format/or especially scale.

This line gave me what I wanted - the characters I loved in the 1980's finally made it out in plastic form. Given that we know MOTU and PoP vintage will be complete at the end of the year, I can only really think of one character I really "need" to have more, and that's Hunga (who I am not completely convinced we won't see this year). When you figure (pun intended) how many lines have ended with SWATHS of figures that were never made, one ain't bad - and I expect her at some point. If she ends up coming out, wonderful - even more icing - but if not, when I look at my complete MOTUC collection, it feels like the most complete collection that really is possible, or at least desirable.

Basically, I've gotten just about every figure I ever wanted them to make when I was a kid - so I'll be happy and content to call it a day in December.