Thread: Icer - Evil Artic Warrior has Exploding Hip Syndrome

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar

Icer - Evil Artic Warrior has Exploding Hip Syndrome

I'm probably not the only one, but...

Icer was down when I walked into my nerd room yesterday evening. Nothing seemingly new, these things take dives all the time. But when I got around to picking Icer up (as he was in the back and knocked everybody else over as well), his leg was detached.

His pelvis piece, which is unseen while assembled (under the bendable loincloth, so there's no reason for it to be made of brittle translucent plastic), had broken into a few parts where it connects to his right leg. The leg remained unbroken... as a piece that's not attached anyway.

I'll glue it back together like I did Green Goddess, and hope the MOC versions don't somehow explode as well. He was on the short list to take down from the display, so I wasn't overly concerned, but I do like to have them... not broken.

---------------------

PS - Sorry if this belongs in an existing conversation. Searched for Icer and got 500 threads that had nothing to do with him. I'm guessing I'm searching wrong. Sorry guys.
    Last edited by Jawbridge; May 14, 2015 at 09:48am.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

Too bad they didn't learn from their previous mistakes. Even if it's not as brittle as the Goddess' plastic, there is no reason to use transparent plastic in the crotch.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Nothing's happened to mine, but oddly enough early last week I picked up my SDCC King Grayskull and his arm fell out of it's socket. It just seemed to crumble... haven't had anything like that happen before! It didn't bother me too much, seeing as the same figure had his ankles both break quite some time ago. The King is truly dead now. Which is also kinda funny, because my Spirit Of Grayskull arrived in the mail two days later!
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

So whats the deal with the plastic then? is it because it's translucent that it's weaker or something? I'll be keeping an eye on my Icer too. Thanks for the heads up!
    Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition - for one that will not cure, the other will!

Chicagoland He-Fan or She-Raver? Join the NEW Horde at The Fright Zone! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...php?groupid=88
    Check out some of my resin toys! some cool stuff coming soon! http://lordchaoscreations.bigcartel.com/

My Icer looks good so far - I even moved his legs to the limits. The Goddess was another story; once I had heard about the problems, I went and checked her, thinking "Oh, mine had been fine this whole time, I don't----" and one movement later, she busted apart at the crotch.

Sooo....Icer at least isn't befalling the same fate, yet. I felt pretty confident about moving him around, too, so I guess we'll see how others fare.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Sometimes figures can crumble, it's not necessarily because of translucent plastic. There's nothing special about translucent plastic that says it has to be brittle. So far, yours is the only Icer I've heard of having problems, so I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "syndrome," so far it's an unfortunate one off. The problems with Goddess were widespread and reported right away (and the official explanation was a miscalibrated sonic welder).

I agree this is the first I've heard of it.
    Most Wanted Crita, Kittrina, Granita, Hawke, Lady Slither, Hunga, Sagitar, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi,Crystoll, Caz, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, Ra-Jar, and Negator.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    I'm probably not the only one, but...
    But you very well could be. I like how one isolated case means a catastrophe. better to come with the assumption that it's a one-off, and collect other fan's feedback than look to start the next lynch mob.

My extra Randor (2009) suddenly lost friction in the left should joint, and flops at his side with no ability to hold itself up. I didn't automatically assume that all Randors were poorly made. It's the sad fact of mass production - sometimes things just foul up.

Sorry to hear about your Icer. Hopefully you can get a replacement for a good price.
    My 2016 Wishlist:

KITTRINA, Vultak, Dylamug, Zilora
    CRITA, Staghorn, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Lizzor
    RED BEAST, Tony Guerrero Prototype, Zodaq (4H 200x Concept)
    STRIDOR, Attak-Trak, Roton, Night Stalker

So, you wake up in the morning, go to the toy shelf, and find that both Icer andGreen Goddess have exploded crotches.

I blame Mattel for not educating these figures properly on mature responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Too bad they didn't learn from their previous mistakes. Even if it's not as brittle as the Goddess' plastic, there is no reason to use transparent plastic in the crotch.
    Yeah, I agree. Maybe they did something different, and it could just be one-off bad plastic, happens from time to time. But, there’s just no reason risk it. Opaque stuff is just easy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    ...Spirit Of Grayskull arrived in the mail two days later!
    Whoa. I like when the sequence of random things make a narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    Sometimes figures can crumble, it's not necessarily because of translucent plastic. There's nothing special about translucent plastic that says it has to be brittle. So far, yours is the only Icer I've heard of having problems, so I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "syndrome," so far it's an unfortunate one off. The problems with Goddess were widespread and reported right away (and the official explanation was a miscalibrated sonic welder).
    There actually are qualities about transparent hard plastics that make them more brittle. It’s a thing. Maybe not the thing here, but you can find discussions easy enough.

I was just calling it a syndrome to have fun with it, btw, I don’t think we used the term for GG either, I just picked up exploding crotch because it was clear plastic and broken, and the only similar scenario, so easily relatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    But you very well could be. I like how one isolated case means a catastrophe. better to come with the assumption that it's a one-off, and collect other fan's feedback than look to start the next lynch mob.

Sorry to hear about your Icer. Hopefully you can get a replacement for a good price.
    For politeness sake, I’ll generally come form the position that you guys (members in general) know more than me, and have had more experience than me, instead of assuming the opposite. So when I say “I’m sure I’m not the only one”, I’m not actually saying anything about a wide spread catastrophe. Those were your words. Instead, I’m saying, “hey, sorry if you’ve already read this because I don’t know”. No lynch mobs intended, but if you’re trying to start an anti-lynch-mob lynch mob, then I’ll join up.

Maybe if it would have been common, I would have come off as Johnny-late-to-the-game-reporter-extraordinaire. And rightfully, people would have tried to put me in my place and let me know the exact date that the first occurrence happened and how long the thread discussing it was.

Thanks for the thoughts. I think I could get a replacement pretty efficiently, you’re right. I just need to decide if I want to bother displaying him or not. It depends on how the year wraps up and SDCC 2016 reveals (if any) I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    I blame Mattel for not educating these figures properly on mature responsibility.
    No telling what these irresponsible hooligans are doing in our absence, but I’m sure it’s a party at times! Even the old guys are rocking of the shelves.
    Last edited by Jawbridge; May 14, 2015 at 02:19pm.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    That's what she said.

I was thinking about picking up an extra Icer to put together an Ice Armor He-Man. Since I'd only need his boots, perhaps I could help you out. I'll keep you in mind, Jawbridge.

Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Heroic Warrior
    My buddy just got a sog moc from ebay and it had a crack in it.

There is a huge difference in Translucent and Transparent plastic... Goddess had a Transparent more brittle crotch even if the "mechanical error" hadn't occured. The SDCC Orko joints are Transparent plastic...

Translucent plastic is still PVC or ABS. While ABS can be more brittle than PVC, mostly after time and UV exposure, usually it doesn't explode.

Transparent plastic is sometimes Polystyrene, and is well more brittle. Know those CD cases that often get cracked by breathing on them? Also, even if Mattel used Clear ABS, that is a much different formulation of ABS and is known to be far more fragile than standard ABS. Why they would use that, I have no idea, if they did for Goddess. Opaque ABS is not the same at all as the Clear stuff. And Clear / Transparent plastic is not on Icer, SOH or SOG, so, if there's a breakage issue, it's not the plastic per se.

And I have two Icers...both of mine are perfectly fine. So is my son's Spirit of Hordak, and he's beat the hell out of that thing, as is my SOH perfectly fine...as for SOG...I have yet to aquire one.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; May 14, 2015 at 08:39pm.
    Recent.... Lizard Man
    Coming....
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I was thinking about picking up an extra Icer to put together an Ice Armor He-Man. Since I'd only need his boots, perhaps I could help you out. I'll keep you in mind, Jawbridge.

Thanks! Yeah, I guess I could just look at a hip transplant. Good idea. Lemme know and I’ll dig out some trade fodder!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    … Clear / Transparent plastic is not on Icer…, so, if there's a breakage issue, it's not the plastic per se.
    Sure, might be a different plastic, which is fine. I don’t have it with me to poke around further, and only picked it up to break it more, instead of comparing or anything a smart person would’ve done.

All I can really say, from picking it up and breaking it further, that it’s extremely brittle, as it took little effort compared to figures I’ve broken open before (custom attempts). Basically, doesn’t feel at all like Lego brick quality.

We use PLA now, but back in the ABS days on the Makerbot, we would have translucent plastics that were sometimes more malleable and prone to warping, or sometimes more brittle and cracked easily during assembly. More factors than it being ABS or not/translucent or not. Sometimes low grade plastics yield low grade results, no matter what the little acronym.

This of course shouldn’t be a thing though, but it sure is fun to pick on a figure for having it’s hip blow out.

I think that translucent or not, the figures in this line are likely not going to last for years.

Some figures are made of a better mix of plastic than others, but there is some MAD filler in a lot of the plastic used in this line.

I fear breakage and bad warping will be a trend.
    A Want List of Sorts: Saurod, Buzz-Saw Hordak, Dragstor, Perfuma, Dare, Snake Mountain, Prahvus, Veena, King Chuboolu, Flying Fists He-Man, Terror Claws Skeletor, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I think that translucent or not, the figures in this line are likely not going to last for years.

Some figures are made of a better mix of plastic than others, but there is some MAD filler in a lot of the plastic used in this line.

I fear breakage and bad warping will be a trend.
    I concur. Sad as it to say when it comes to adult figures these days like dcuc ml and motuc once I open them up and take them out of package the clock starts ticking lol. My vintage stuff was made from a much heartier stock. I played like crazy with them but the six inch ones I just display and don't mess with

Hey Jawbridge, I'm sorry to hear of your Icer misfortune.

Mattel have a lot of quality questions to answer with this line. If Icer explodes, do we need to fear Blast-Attak melting?
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    If Icer explodes, do we need to fear Blast-Attak melting?
    Well, I'm definitely worried about having the energy zoids constantly fall over.

Chewer of Trollans
    My kids, both under six, play with these figures. So, when I first saw this post I was glad that my Icer had been through the ringer and made it out alive. Of course, while playing today, his crotch popped wide open! I'll try to fix it but it will go in the "no play" pile.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    Problem is, there is a growing history of trouble using transparent/translucent plastic for joints. Triklops in the 200x line had the problem with his head initially, and switching to a non-translucent plastic apparently fixed it. And DC Collectibles has had a long, sordid history of figures with transparent plastic for joints breaking easily; I doubt they would have made a deliberate move away from that in their recent Batman Animated line if there was nothing to fix.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman