Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would non-Vintage fans pay more to complete their figures?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Would non-Vintage fans pay more to complete their figures?

After Classics, this is probably the end of more POP and NA representation in future lines.

Let's say that Mattel offered a Princess Of Power only or a New Adventures only 6 figure bi-monthly subscription (or any non-Vintage era -- 200X/MYP variants, Original POP toyline variants, Filmation variants, Mini-Comic variants, 2.0 characters, etc.) for a much higher price -- say $35 to $50 before shipping and taxes...would you go for it? The casual Classics fan might scoff at the idea of buying Peekablue for $25+, but the hardcore POP fan might pay $50! Since there would be far less people buying subs, would non-Vintage fans compensate for the lack of Vintage fans and pay through the roof for a complete collection of NA or POP? Fortunately, the needed characters are very finite and not a cast of thousands (unless POP or NA characters keep requesting more figures and variants and fund the damn subscription themselves by paying more...).

It's like buying a 3rd party Transformer, but for MOTU. And it might be the only way those fewer fans of POP, NA or any other "lesser" MOTU era will see their figures realized. Chances are we'll never see Hydron or Castaspella appear in the next reimagined MOTU toyline.

Discuss!

Are ya THAT hardcore?!! To get in the spirit of this thread, make your first sentence some variation of "Yes, I am that hardcore!" or "No, I'm not that hardcore!".

Yes. I stan hardcore for POP. If this were the only option - Bring it on.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I might pay about $35, but that is probably as high as I would go.
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

Yes, I am THAT hardcore!

There are loads of 200X/MYP variants that I would love to get. If I had to pay $50 for an Anwat Gar Sy-Klone, Captain Randor, Snake Armor He-Man or Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn, then so be it. Hit me up with toyline colors Castaspella too.

Heroic Warrior
    Please excuse my question but... Is this some sort of psychological preparation to a new price hike ?

I dunno. For the extra money I would want to see figures with a bucketload of accessories, extra heads, zero QC errors and less aversion to new tooling on Mattel's part.

I actually think that they should explore a POP or NA 'Signature Collection' pre-orders for some of the characters they won't get to on 2014-15. They can offset a reduction in the number of pre-orders by raising the price maybe $10-15 and including more stuff with said figures. I think certain fans would be keen to add these to their collections
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    POP - YES!
    NA - No.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Mattel should first test at the "regular" price.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I would pay as much as $50 a figure before shipping for a POP (as long as it was new characters and not toy variants of character we already have. I'm not into the toy looks of POP characters.) or anything Filmation mini-sub as long as it was limited to only 4 to 6 figures a year. However, I would not do this for any of the other factions you listed above, especially NA. I hated that cartoon and I have no nostalgic connection with those characters.
    Last edited by csc0709; August 11, 2013 at 11:36am.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Please excuse my question but... Is this some sort of psychological preparation to a new price hike ?
    Nope. Since the line might not last after 2016, I'm seeing if the reeeeeaaaally hardcore fans would lose their final chance to get figures that they've always wanted from their favorite eras.

Seriously...we will most likely get another MOTU line down the road. There will be another Trap Jaw, another Ram Man, another Teela, another Hordak. And they might come in an all new design style or mythos. But will there be a new Bow and Glimmer? New re-imagined Star Sisters? Maybe not.

The hardcores have Bow and Glimmer in Classics and can build from there, instead of starting all over in another style and having to fight tooth and claw all over again. Why jump to a new MOTU line and wrestle with "Vintage characters first!" fans or deal with causal fans hating "unpopular" characters, when the old line has everything you could ever want? That's why the hardcore fans could theoretically keep the line "going" if it meant paying significantly higher prices to get non-nostalgic figures that casual fans would easily pass on.

I am not really interested in anything POP or Filmation related but I might consider a NA or 200x sub at a higher price but ALL the six characters would have to be revealed beforehand so that I could make a choice based on the character selection and not have to buy a sub at this pricepoint blindly.
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

Quote Originally Posted by csc0709 View Post
    I would pay as much as $50 a figure before shipping for a POP (as long as it was new characters and not toy variants of character we already have. I'm not into the toy looks of POP characters.) or anything Filmation mini-sub as long as it was limited to only 4 to 6 figures a year. However, I would not do this for any of the other factions you listed above, especially NA. I hated that cartoon and I have no nostalgic connection with those characters.
    By breaking these short bi-monthly subs down by era and subject, it eliminates confusion. If you were buying a 6 month Filmation variant sub, you'd get the likes of Filmation Hordak, Filmation Clawful, Filmation Trap Jaw, Filmation Tung Lashor, etc. Of course, if you aren't interested then you don't have to subscribe to that particular subscription.

A POP subscription would continue the individual figures as they've been happening in Classics (the Filmation/style guide versions), while an Original POP Toyline Variant sub would have the POP cast in their 80's toyline decos.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I would pay 50+ with the caveat that there should be a FAN vote to determine WHO we are getting. You pre-order the sub---you get a ballot in Aug of 2015....with a list of figures....the top 10-12 figures are the produced and available May 2016. The release order is not committed to, just the characters. BOOM goes the dynamite...they keep this model for years until there are not enough pre-orders.

THATS how you get the $50 Price point and the hardcore figs out.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

I would pay up to 50 for the remaining vintage POP. I'd still get the main sub as well, but would consider just doing the POP sub at this point in place of the vintage one. I could easily cherry pick the vintage stuff. Aside from the 3 movie figures, the snake men, and Ninjor, I don't need anymore vintage. I really don't need to pay for Laser variants, Twistoids, or any of that fluff.
    Last edited by jzachery; August 11, 2013 at 12:19pm.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

It depends.

See, with a line like we have now - all encompassing - I can look past little details like the fact that all the PoP figures are pretty much based on Filmation looks that I mostly find boring. If they were to do a PoP only sub at a higher price, I think I would be asking for a bit more. Now I know that the higher price would be because of a possible lower demand, but I would be asking for more...detail. Right now I get that this toyline is trying to cover a LOT of bases at once, and I admire that. Personally I think it does pretty well, even with my disagreement on design.

If it were only PoP, though, I don't think I'd get into it unless they started adding more toy-centric designs. THAT would grab my attention, because THAT was what drew my attention in the first place. Back when everyone was talkin' PoP but we barely had anything past Adora, I had looked through the archive of vintage PoP and found a lot of interesting designs that would have translated well to MotUC and matched the fantasy aesthetic all around. When they started keeping to the Filmation designs (I think the Star Sisters are the biggest culprit) I couldn't help but think about what they could have looked like with the more flowing robes and hanging skirt items 'n such, like the toys. They looked more...well, magical.

SOOO...I guess what I'm saying is that I probably wouldn't jump in unless it were more...hardcore PoP. More thought put into it like they had done with many of the early vintage MotU guys (Scare Glow getting the Reliquary, extra little things like Tri-Klops' throwing knives, stuff like that). And maybe a little more focus on toys. Like I said: I'm cool with how it is as a section of MotUC, but if it were it's own thing I'd like it to stick to the vintage PoP toy look a little closer.

OH...and NA. Hm. Well I guess I would jump into that if they were a bit more expensive AND that meant they could add more unique parts. I'd love to get the other Skeletor versions and some of the other characters were pretty cool. Don't think that one would be very hard, considering how small it is.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I would definitely buy into a POP sub for extra $ per figure. NA has some characters I would really love to have, but I can do without if there is too much of a price hike.
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

Yes, I am that hard core.

I'm not paying $50 for a figure, though. $30-35 would be my limit.

I would only subscribe to a FILMATION, POP, or MINI-COMICS/COMICS set of characters. These are the sub-groups that have the most original characters I am interested in collecting. NA has some nice characters, but it always falls short for me when I consider that my collecting focus is modern day Eternia and Etheria (Filmation's storyline era).
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

No, I am not that hardcore. Actually, well... Yes. I am. I already am paying $35 to $50 per figure, since international shipping via DHL is already $thirtysomething per figure. I would not be happy having to pay a total of $80, even if it means to complete my POP, NA or 200x character collection.
    Positivity, folks!
    Lets all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Heroic Warrior
    Given how much I paid for Shadow Weaver and King He-Man, I would say yes, but not for a blind sub. It would have to be on a figure by figure pre-order basis.

Personally, if they don't get enough subs for 2016, I think that's how the line may go for 2017 if Matty wants to/is willing to continue it (2016 would like be the 2015 SDCC Q1 reveals spread out over the year).

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Don't volunteer that you are willing to pay more... it's just not very bright.

Why should I pay more for Peekablue than I did for Lord Dactus?

Or Cy-Chop or Spector or Photog?

And why are the POP characters suddenly unavailable for "future lines?"

We get it, MGM, you're not a pop fan.

It's pretty obvious that the current brand manager isn't either.

That doesn't mean the next one won't be.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I would be all for an NA sub, but would not pay higher prices for these figures.

Unless they had an extra something.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Yes(ish), I am (selectively) that hardcore!

There is probably no actual sub program that I'd subscribe to for $50 a pop unless it were a "4H Original MotU Character" sub, and we were guaranteed better and more paint ops than the current offerings, and no cut accessories.

Other than that, there would only be a small handful of unannounced figures I'd go that high for: Eldor, Extendar, Saurod, Gwildor, possibly Sssqueeze and Tung Lashor, possibly Sagitar.

Or "Deluxe" versions of the main cast, like He-Man with three heads, three harnesses, three swords, three sets of hands, basically three of every swappable item on him.

And while this may be "beyond the scope" of this particular thread, I'd pay at least $50 each for Stactions Revisited. I'd absolutely go all-in with THAT type of sub. Horsemen Unleashed versions of the rest of the Horde (Troopers, Catra, Scorpia, Callix, etc) and even reimagined kickass versions of She-Ra, Bow and Frosta. I can't even imagine how much those would rock.

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It's like buying a 3rd party Transformer, but for MOTU.
    So it's like paying for a $60-90 piece of plastic that bends or breaks if you do so much as sneeze in its' general direction? No thanks.

*grumble grumble stupid Fansproject crap*

Uh, I'm more ... softcore. By that I mean, it depends on the characters.

For POP, probably. $30-35ish as we currently stand, with almost a dozen characters missing. Probably more ($50), if say there were only 2-3 characters we need.
    For NA, it really depends. I'd go $30-35ish if it were, say, Flogg, Kayo, Hoove, Nocturna, Staghorn, Spinwit, Quakke, Vizar, BH, Darius, Lizzor, Tuskador. <- Even some of these guys, I'd rather customize than possibly go up past a $40 price point. I couldn't find myself paying anything for Artilla or Sagitar; whereas, if they were offered in the all-inclusive (HA.) subscription model I'd probably take them.

I'd hate for it to get to this point, really. But it might happen.
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Why should I pay more for Peekablue than I did for Lord Dactus?

Or Cy-Chop or Spector or Photog?

And why are the POP characters suddenly unavailable for "future lines?"

We get it, MGM, you're not a pop fan.

It's pretty obvious that the current brand manager isn't either.

That doesn't mean the next one won't be.
    I don't think he's saying they're unavailable but that they won't get made based on any movie/cartoon strategy.

I don't think the examples he used are good. Surely if POP comes back in some form, Bow and Glimmer are Shoe-ins. But I think it is unrealistic to expect someone like, say, Double Trouble, or many of the NA heroes. Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't expect them in a revival of the line, and I WANT them.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.