Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.154!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.154!

Mattel has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 154 questions!

This round of questions were selected by melkor23.
    Thanks to that fan for their help!

1. Kesmai: Does Mattel have a plan to make MOTU a mainstream core brand again that will resonate with today's children, and will such plans have to wait until a new movie is released?

There have been and still are plans, but they will most likely only happen once the movie gets off the ground.

2. tumalu: Early Access was explicitly advertised as a perk in all of the subscription sale pages for non-subscription items. But Rotar and Twistoid, and Point Dread/Talon Fighter were not offered for Early Access. Would you further clarify your position with regards to Early Access and non-sub items?

We are looking into this.

3. felgekarp: Are there any plans to offer a New Adventures subscription to try and get more of that series finished in MOTUC, or will we instead only get the random NA figure from time to time?

That really depends on how big of a line we will have for 2017 and how well 2016 does all together.

4. melkor23: As a German MOTU fan since 1985, I was very pleased to see Anti He-Man at SDCC 2015. Will this figure be the chase figure for 2016? If not, how will it be released?

Chase figure for 2016? Maaaaaaaaaybe.

5. bcrduke: Mattel mentioned at SDCC 2015 that the unproduced MOTU Minis (Jitsu, Webstor, new original Skeletor, Her-Ro, She-Ra, Mekaneck, and Horde Troopers) would likely be released, but that the method was not decided. Has there been any new developments for the release of these figures?

We are still trying to find a way to get those out to the fans, because they turned out great! It just needs to make sense for you guys and for us as well. Most likely could be some kind of convention item.

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 156!
    Click here for a master list of all previous Q&A sessions.
    And, have fun discussing Mattel's answers to your Round 154 questions!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Short and sweet, however i'm unsure what there is too "look into" for the early access.

Whatever stock is left for Rotar and Twistoid should be offered in EA for December at a limit of one per sub holder. It is insane that a sub holder cannot get their hands in these figures at cost!!!

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Question 3 really does intrigue me,
    so if one read between the lines right it
    all depends on how well NA's characters sell
    during the all access period via Mattycollector.
    As for a possible Collector's Choice by 2017, slots number
    will make the difference; hmmm... could it be that they currently
    are thinking to get the load filled a little more after this comfortable break
    we all see coming next year?

It sounds like there is really a question mark over 2017.

I HOPE they are looking into releasing the rest of the Rotar and Twistoids in EA.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

The Early Access question really should have been this: "Why did you screw over the sub holders and will there ever be more than 10 Classics versions of Rotar and Twistoid available on planet Earth?"

They only way they could resolve the Rotar Vs. Twistoid issue is to send out emails to subscribers with a code to purchase a set. We shouldn't have to fight it out in EA at the point.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    IIRC people were not really wanting the zoids. So it makes sense Mattel would not go overboard in how many they made si they wouldn't be sitting on unsold product.

please release accurate Filmation of-- tri klops, merman, fisto, roboto, kobra khan, hordak, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, teela, spikor, buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, tung lashor, mekaneck, man at arms, sorceress, jitsu, ram man, man e faces, frosta, bow and perfuma.

I'd never presume to speak for anyone group of people but the reaction to the Zoids was mixed AT WORST. I do recall quite a few people posting amped for the set. There'd be a minimum production number needed for Mattel to even produce them...which presumably would be a few thousand. Each time these were available on the Matty site they were only up for a few minutes. There's no way they're all gone.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I'd never presume to speak for anyone group of people but the reaction to the Zoids was mixed AT WORST. I do recall quite a few people posting amped for the set. There'd be a minimum production number needed for Mattel to even produce them...which presumably would be a few thousand. Each time these were available on the Matty site they were only up for a few minutes. There's no way they're all gone.
    The first time they were sold they lasted 20 minutes. I'm sure lots of people bought multiples. Then they put them on a discount with the SDCC store. I wouldn't be that suprised if they really are gone for good.

Heroic Warrior
    There were a lot of people excited about how they turned out... Horsemen really did something cool with them. For the 8 years prior, the Zoids were REALLY smack-talked and right up there with the meteorbs in the 'I hope they never make' lists.

Lets not forget that these were produced for SDCC and sold there first. Maybe they sold a lot more there than they thought they would and there were not a lot of leftovers for sale afterwards.

I think your logic is sound. Yeah, they were well done but these were never going to be hot figures. It's only by not selling them that Matty has managed to make them demanded.

They surely have stock. I just hope they find a fair way to sell them when they eventually decide they feel like selling the rest of them.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneSkeletor View Post
    Question 3 really does intrigue me,
    so if one read between the lines right it
    all depends on how well NA's characters sell
    during the all access period via Mattycollector.
    As for a possible Collector's Choice by 2017, slots number
    will make the difference; hmmm... could it be that they currently
    are thinking to get the load filled a little more after this comfortable break
    we all see coming next year?
    It could be read a couple of ways. 1) Not until 2018, or 2) Maybe several figures in 2017 as part of the rest of the line.

It's a cautious response, and we know NA sells comparatively poorly. I for one would rather see something different - for me the pre-Filmation variants are far more worthy and necessary. I've said it several times before: it's by far the worst represented era in Classics so far, and that seriously needs to change.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Rarity marketing makes the lowest characters much more valuable. I wonder what would happen if Mattel tried this with New Adventures? Rotar and Twistoid weren't popular characters at all, either.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    It could be read a couple of ways. 1) Not until 2018, or 2) Maybe several figures in 2017 as part of the rest of the line.

It's a cautious response, and we know NA sells comparatively poorly. I for one would rather see something different - for me the pre-Filmation variants are far more worthy and necessary. I've said it several times before: it's by far the worst represented era in Classics so far, and that seriously needs to change.
    I wouldn't mind to see them emerge sooner than later...
    though for me, new characters should always prevail.
    For instance if i had to focus on the era you've just pointed,
    i'd kill for a selection including:
    Kex Queen, Lodar, Garn, Prince Dakon, Haramesh, Manticore & Sky tree as an
    absolute priority.

I think the "machines" need to spit out some more Horde Troopers and Rotar packs, even if a lower run for a bit more money to offset the lower run.
    Recent.... HATMOTU Skeletor
    Coming....
    Wanted.... Filmation Mer-Man, Teela & Sorceress
    Considering....
    Needed.... MOTUC Lord Masque

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

online with my office computer in Liverpool
    but they've not actually answered anything, answers are same things we used to get often from TG.

1. maybe in a movie year
    2. keep reading the bios! - ok not quite, but theirs wasnt an answer
    3. if there is demand we'll keep making them, we'll see in 2 years
    4. maybe
    5. possibly
    If there's something strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna' call? HE-MAN!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    absolute priority.
    Plenty of good suggestions there. With all the options there's room for a full year's sub.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

absolute priority.
    Oh man, I'd be SO excited for a sub with all those characters!
    MASS REJECTION
    www.facebook.com/massrejection

Join my Official REJEKTOR (created by Jim 'BUBBLOR' Johnston) Facebook page! www.facebook.com/Rejektor

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    The first time they were sold they lasted 20 minutes. I'm sure lots of people bought multiples. Then they put them on a discount with the SDCC store. I wouldn't be that suprised if they really are gone for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    Lets not forget that these were produced for SDCC and sold there first. Maybe they sold a lot more there than they thought they would and there were not a lot of leftovers for sale afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Rarity marketing makes the lowest characters much more valuable. I wonder what would happen if Mattel tried this with New Adventures? Rotar and Twistoid weren't popular characters at all, either.
    My guess is, that there are less Rotar/Twistoid Packs in existence than 2015 subscribers. They probably didn't want to hold on to the inventory of D list characters, even if they were vintage. They had LOTS of rock warriors left over, and they were at least B/C listers. Someone either grossly underestimated the demand for these, OR we give them credit for rarity marketing as Max said. Which would be giving them credit for shrewd, cunning business practices. I will assume they just made a goof. As usual.

But hey, here's to hoping plenty of them show up for everybody...I just don't think it's likely.