Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Media "Reinventing" Masters Of The Universe...

Classic Media "Reinventing" Masters Of The Universe...

From the June/July 2011 issue of TV Kids. I will add this to the main page later today...

Another company that is reintroducing popular brands is Classic Media. "The heart of what we do is reinvent the classics of yeserday; [in doing so] we come in from this amazing perspective of having a built-in affinity and a built-in awareness," says Nicole Blake, the company's executive VP of global marketing and consumer products. Currently, the properties Classic Media is reinventing include Where's Waldo?/Where's Wally?, Postman Pat, Voltron and Masters of the Universe"

"The beauty of working with a classic is that there is something that made it work the first time," says Blake. "So we identify the DNA of that property: Why did kids care about it when it first came out? Why did it have so many fans? We stay true to that but present it in a fun and fresh way. It's about having visibility and creating an event and a way for fans to engage with the brand. That can be done with TV, gaming, publishing or film. For example, we brought back Where's Wally? with new publishing and gaming. In the case of Voltron, the new TV series Voltron Force premieres this month on Nicktoons in the U.S., and that will be the first media event of the franchise in ten years."

Mattel wil develop toy lines based on classic Voltron and the new Voltron Force; they are scheduled to launch in 2011 and 2012, respectively, THQ is preparing video games; the first is scheduled for release this fall. Other products include T-Shirts, tops, swimwear, sleepwear, costumes, graphic novels and comics.

"When you are reinventing a classic the strategy is to reengage the people that grew up with that property and remember it," says Blake. "Whereas when you are launching a new property, you have to establish awareness first and foremost. With Tinga Tinga Tales, a new property, it was very important for us to have a big event, which was the television show to launch with."

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ds_discop_2011

After the initial response to Voltron by many people, not sure we want MOTU reinvented
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    After the initial response to Voltron by many people, not sure we want MOTU reinvented
    I dunno...the reinvention could be good like 200X and MYP. Now thanks to Mattycollector.com, we won't have the same retail problems that sank 200X--IF Mattel sells that product online.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Eh, this kind of stuff always makes me nervous.

However, I am not familiar enough with Classic Media's past endeavors in the realm of reinvention/redesign, storytelling, production philosophy, previos sword-techno-sorcery-dystopian future IP's, etc... to support the nervousness with any logic

3-3/4" did start screaming in my brain when I read this. Merchandise for a new series would likely want to distance itself from Classics in look and scale. Smaller, less articulated, lower manufacturing cost figures also allows for bigger ticket items such as vehicles and playsets that can be seen/marketed in an animated series. Potential money makers for a new audience vs the established audience which already has a market in Classics. That's just my gut reaction though.

Tangent: I would still like to see Classics brought to life with motion comics like some DC and Marvel titles have done. While not completely animated, they tell good stories via voice actors, artists, sound effects, etc... and would be a good way to capture the Classics-style and unique story in an animated form. Plus Classics and its story may be able to be considered its own entertainement entity, allowing it to tell the more mature story the bios seem to be telling, be it the (paraphrased) unofficial love-child of MYP story as some point out . imo
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    And I like the new Voltron. So

For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Maybe the "re-invention" would be like MOTUC? Grouping all the eras together in cartoon form? I just hope they get rid of all the cloning nonsense.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Not sure what to make of this.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

80sMasters.com freespeach Brian Ozone's Avatar
    Cartoon awesome. I need something to watch.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Sounds interesting. We've all wanted MotU back on the air again, I'm sure. And we know it won't touch MotUC: I'm sure Toyguru has stated before that MotUC is separate and would continue even if a new movie came out, with toys in the stores 'n all. So reinventing MotU with a new series probably wouldn't effect MotUC as it is. We'll just get more MotU!

...granted, some folks react very strongly to new story (as if it reaches back in time and ruins thier childhood) so I guess this could be cause for worry among those who feel like changing the story is akin to changing a major religion. Personally, though, I'm looking forward to whatever they can cook up, for better or for worse.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    I really don't see how this is not one of the big announcements for SDCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    And I like the new Voltron. So

Hey I said the response by many people, not that I was one of those many people

My only concern is that the new Voltron skews a big too kiddy for what the license is. Then again most kids cartoons these days skew younger then they did when we were growing up so maybe I am just old
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I have kept saying it for years. Be on the look out for a brand new version of He-man. It's coming.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    My attitude toward this is like it is for Transformers, G.I. Joe and ThunderCats: So long as the original MOTU canon, media and toyline continues for the old skool fans, they can reinvent away. The old fans don't have to like the new stuff, because the old stuff is still around. The next generation of MOTU fans will generate even more money for the brand, so that we can get stuff like Castle Grayskull, Snake Mountain, vehicles and all of those uniquely tooled characters.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    My attitude toward this is like it is for Transformers, G.I. Joe and ThunderCats: So long as the original MOTU canon, media and toyline continues for the old skool fans, they can reinvent away. The old fans don't have to like the new stuff, because the old stuff is still around. The next generation of MOTU fans will generate even more money for the brand, so that we can get stuff like Castle Grayskull, Snake Mountain, vehicles and all of those uniquely tooled characters.
    That's a great attitude to have!

Voltron is doing this...Mattel is releasing an 80's based collectors line for us, and a new line for the new cartoon more for the kiddies.

Thundercats is doing the exact same thing. As is the upcoming TMNT it seems.

And there's no doubt Mattel would continue MOTU Classics for us.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...I'm all for a quality reinvention, if it'll get kids & the public majorly aware of MOTU again! HOPEFULLY not too "kiddied" down... I would be willing to bet they're looking towards the "Thundercats" relaunch heavily, to gauge a direction and an audience... Ideally, refining the more "epic" storyline of 200X while broadening the "fun" elements some, ala Filmation, to catch kids' attention, yet somehow without getting all goofy with it! Tricky, to say the least! But I sure do hope it's better animation than "Voltron Force", as I'm still getting used to that one!

i would have thought this is one of the 5 giant announcements for SDCC; but TG clearly said his announcements are for the classics line. i'm so puzzled right now.

MOTUC! Masters of the Universe Cardgame!!! Watch as young kids travel the world entering into card games with other kids!

i hope this isn't adam, teela, ram-man, and stratos as kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Exactly! Did anyone ever watch Transformers: Armada? It was AWFUL, but it finally gave us a pretty bada$$ Unicron toy!

I'm excited! I say bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    So we´ll get a cartoon or what?

Properties have DNA?
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Properties have DNA?
    I know

That was such lame L.A./industry-speak.

Ooooh, we're all arty... we use sciencey words to describe how we eviscerate and reboot old properties lol.

For some reason, the quote from CM scares me a little bit.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Properties have DNA?
    We live in a marvelous age were swords can be cloned and we can extract the DNA of Properties and stuff...
    Last edited by DO4M; June 20, 2011 at 03:14pm. Reason: forgot to add the emoticon.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

the good thing is that classic media appears to have a great interest in the property, i think will we have a new series.

I don't know what mean to them "Reinventing" ,the new voltron seems pretty faithful to the original.
    perhaps "Reinventing" means a "sequel-new generation".
    accidentally i created a topic yesterday about this ,check it out http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=210161
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

I think they should use the Classics line as a starting point for a new cartoon. Join Masters, She-Ra, and NA into one universe and keep the cartoon characters looking like the Classics figures.

This way, they can repackage all the MOTUC line for retail without the cost of creating new figures from scratch. They get new fans, don't alienate any of us, and we get Castle Grayskull!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I know

That was such lame L.A./industry-speak.

Ooooh, we're all arty... we use sciencey words to describe how we eviscerate and reboot old properties lol.
    Well...if a new MOTU cartoon turns out all crazy, I guess we will be saying "Same DNA...but born this way..."
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah