Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30th Anniversary series is more than it seems...

Heroic Warrior

30th Anniversary series is more than it seems...

With the 30th series people reacting for or against the line and the characters seem to forget one thing- this is the first time since the original line that we get to have NEW characters added to the mythos of MOTU. It's like being a child again and getting to look at the card backs to see what new cool things were coming- even if you ended up not liking them or not.

I thought it would be nice to have a discussion about memories of when you first saw new characters, what your hopes are for this series, things along that line. SPEAK UP PEOPLE!

It's what has me the most excited honestly...I suggested the possibility of all new characters when MOTUC was getting started and most fans kinda dismissed the idea, saying there were enough established characters without adding new ones.

Part of the excitement back in the 80's was, you never knew what was coming next.

Hero? Villain? Monster? Robot? Mutant? Demon? Alien? Wizard?
    With MOTU...the sky's the limit!
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    With the 30th series people reacting for or against the line and the characters seem to forget one thing- this is the first time since the original line that we get to have NEW characters added to the mythos of MOTU. It's like being a child again and getting to look at the card backs to see what new cool things were coming- even if you ended up not liking them or not.

I thought it would be nice to have a discussion about memories of when you first saw new characters, what your hopes are for this series, things along that line. SPEAK UP PEOPLE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    It's what has me the most excited honestly...I suggested the possibility of all new characters when MOTUC was getting started and most fans kinda dismissed the idea, saying there were enough established characters without adding new ones.

Part of the excitement back in the 80's was, you never knew what was coming next.

Hero? Villain? Monster? Robot? Mutant? Demon? Alien? Wizard?
    With MOTU...the sky's the limit!

THIS.

Back in the day, we didn't have the internet, we didn't talk with Mattel. New characters just appeared in the line and were accepted. A few had commercials, but not ALL of them. They appeared in catalogs or store flyers, and we learned their names that way, but that was about it. I don't understand why new characters are frowned upon now but all the vintage ones are accepted so readily... remember THEY were once new too.

Also, the line ITSELF changed over its lifetime in the 80s.

How well would Extendar, Rio-Blast, Blast-Attack, or Rotar fit into the original 8, especially in the Alcala/Texiera days?

If there were a He-Man.org back then, and we got previews and early prototypes of upcoming figs, what kind of reactions would figs like them have gotten? Would there be a thread against Dragstor? Would there be a campaign for "Support for Mosquitor?" (Dan keep quiet).
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post

I remember being in Toyland at the mall when I first saw He-Man and Skeletor on the shelves for the very first time. I thought they were the coolest toys ever! For my birthday I received He-Man, Skeletor, and Beast Man and could not wait for Mer-Man, Teela, and Man-At-Arms. Then one day I was walking in Roses and saw 2 figures I had never seen: Trap-Jaw and Tri-Klops! I begged my mom for them and she broke down and got them for me. Then the hunt was now on for Evil-Lyn. Those were very memorable and exciting times for me!

That is why I am really loving this 30th sub because it is new territory. With the other characters you know they are coming, it's just a matter of when. With these, there is no telling what we're gonna get. I find it a very exciting time for me again!
    Last edited by jerec350; September 28, 2011 at 03:23pm.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Great thread! This is why I love the 30th Anniversary figures too. Part of me almost wishes they could have been "blind" items - though I know a lot of people wouldn't like that. But can you imagine getting a white mailer in the mail and opening it up, not knowing what you'd get?

I to remember walking into my local variety store and being astounded by some new character. Sure, you'd see characters in the cross-sell or in the JC Penny catalog, but there were plenty of times one would take me by surprise. It was a great feeling.

We're to the point where we have a pretty good handle on the line look and feel. So even though it's fun seeing how they handle a character, I bet most of us have a pretty good handle on what they'll look like. Love them or hate them, the 30th Anniversary figures are a complete unknown. And just like every other wave or releases, there are sure to be some we like better than others.

I think it's a ton of fun.

i agree but we need minicomics!!
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

but isn't this line kinda doing that already by adding those concept characters like Gygor, Demo-Man, Wun-Dar, etc.? (or do they not count cause we've seen a drawing or two?)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Doesn't 200x count?

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    but isn't this line kinda doing that already by adding those concept characters like Gygor, Demo-Man, Wun-Dar, etc.? (or do they not count cause we've seen a drawing or two?)
    Sorta kinda, but not really. We get those and even if you're not familiar with their origins, they can still be researched and tracked back to some point in the history. 30th stuff (aside from Photog, who would be more like the others you listed) are all completely new.

I really like the new stuff, it's like a spark to all the kindling of my imagination, and I find myself trying to imagine powers, allegiances, personalities, origin stories, etc. For me, it's a different kind of enjoyment than just seeing how cool the new figure of an established character is.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm fine with the idea of new characters in MOTUC. But please let them be designed, created and sculpted BY THE 4 HORSEMEN, AND NO ONE ELSE ! Please ! This way, we're almost guaranteed they'll be cool.

Draego-Man is already one of my favourite figures, along with the likes of Mer-Man, Scareglow, Skeletor, Trap-Jaw or Beast Man.

Fearless Photog was a must, after all those years of expectation from the fans. I consider Toyguru closed a wound and stopped a wrong Mattel made in the past by producing Fearless Photog.

Mighty Spector is what I'd like to NOT see EVER again in this line... I'm happy Toyguru got his figure and made his childhood dream come true, but I hope we won't see this kind of design from now on.
    Last edited by Prahvus; September 28, 2011 at 04:07pm.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I don't really have memories of "new" MOTU characters when I was little outside Clawful. My dad made the molds for his snapping claw for a company sub-contracted by Mattel! I thought my dad was the coolest person in the world that day! He gave me Clawful and explained how he worked and everything. It's my favourite childhood memory with my dad and he doesn't even remember it!

Anyway, for PoP I vividly remember being introduced to the characters in the store. They had a bunch of figures, but I think most of them were Starburst She-Ra. I picked up the figure and flipped to the back to see all the characters. I was SO excited for "a cat woman" "a mermaid" and "a pirate woman" (the one I thought was a pirate woman, is Entrapta ). I searched frantically through all the figures looking for the "pirate woman" but they didn't have any. They didn't have Catra or Mermista either....BUT...I happened across Peekablue and I was STUNNED at how gorgeous she was, the golden mirrored reflection of her feathers and how nice all her colours looked! I thought all the cardback images of PoP looked good, but she didn't impress me until I saw the toy. When I saw her, I knew I had to have her!

I wanted more, but was only allowed one. ALL the PoP figures were sold out next time we went to the store and I never saw PoP or MOTU in-store ever again (besides ONE NA Skeletor and the 200X line).

About the 30th Anniversary series: I think Draego-Man is seriously awesome. I love him a LOT more than Granamyr from the mini-comic OR Filmation (and he's only $20 and not above $80 ). I hope Granny comes out ridiculously awesome for the price he commands.

Mighty Spector: growing on me. I'm getting him regardless (I have the 30th add-on sub). Curious to see his bio.

Fearless Photog: I love him a LOT. Lenticular sticker, real focusing lens, "flash" shield and video camera gun? He's so friggin cool, in my opinion! His bio leaves me cold though. I'll make up my own story about him.

Can't wait to see what Geoff Johns and Terry Higuchi (spelling?) make. Terry comes up with such AWESOME stuff to add to MOTUC, so I have high hopes for his design!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I would like to see them do a series of new characters like this every year outside of the normal 16 slots. Maybe 4-6 new characters per year.

Having a separate sub for new characters is a great way to handle it. Some of the more controversial characters (concepts, prototypes, etc.) could appear there instead of taking up a slot for a classic character.

I'd also like to see the quarterly variants stick to those that were actually produced as figures in the past and have new variants only in this proposed new sub.

I like the idea of getting a surprise character, too! Maybe one a year?

personally I would like brand new characters to continue as long as the line lasts. 1-2 brand new characters a year would be awesome. I like it... keeps things fun and that is what it's all about for me. When MOTUC starts stressing me out (like it does some people) I will know that either I should lighten up, or I should stop collecting!
    Check out my band The Caterpillar Book on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

i find it funny that the figures which are supposed to celebrate 30 years of MOTU were never part of the MOTU mythos.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    well, that's really a good thread.
    i like this kind of perspective, i wasn't considering the series from this
    point of view: thanks for posting.

I think Draego looks great, can't wait to read his bio. It is great to get new characters but I'm just not that keen on the design of Spector or Photog.

So much this! What made MOTU so great as kids was new things surprising us all the time. I remember the first time I saw Whiplash in the toy store. I'd never heard of him. I just sat and admired his cool green tail and bright spear. Moss-Man and Stinkor surprised me the same way.

But the best ever was the day I did something really good and my dad took me to K-Mart to get a new figure. I had my sites set on Ram Man, but when we got there; who is this beautiful blue and orange man with the triangular reflective goggles? His neck extends?!?! Sign me up. Best day ever.

I adore, adore, adore that there are new figures coming out to surprise us. And yes, I'm also thrilled to get new figs from POP and NA and the Mattel archives. In some ways, they are the same. Vikor was super cool. I'd never heard of him. But yeah, bring on Draego-Man and yes, Spector. He's not as cool as Mekaneck, but he's still a new guy to play with. And the fact that someone who grew up loving He-Man got to invent him? Awesome.

And as an adult, I find the bios pretty cool. But I don't get hung up on them. When I was a kid, Stinkor was a bad guy, and he smells. Good enough. And we all had random other figs from other lines that played alongside too. I had the reverse color Stratos back in the day, so I decided he was Stratos' cousin, cuz' why not?

I of course hope my create-a-character gets made. That would be great. But whoever gets picked, I'll be excited for them and add their creation to my little Eternia.

Thanks for the thread and the old memories.

Heroic Warrior
    I think it's great to have new characters, and honestly, I can't understand why figures like Mighty Spector get so many complaints.

We have a line that includes a space cowboy, skunk man, cyborg elephant, spinning no-legged top creature thingies, smiling bee man, a guy whose sole power is that he can look over walls a foot taller than he is, a blue-haired imp that hides in the woods, and a guy that runs into things with his head, and some people think there is no room for a superheroish character.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

I love getting new characters in MOTU and that's why I love the 30th Anniversary line, but I love characters like Chief Carnivus for much the same reason even if he wasn't new to me when he became a figure. Same goes for newer characters from Dactys to Illumina. And characters that have never had a figure like Shadow Weaver, Marlena, and Lodar are all just as meaningful to me when/if I see them in plastic. But granted, there's not quite the same feeling as seeing a figure of someone you never saw before in any medium. I remember discovering new figures in the toy aisles as a kid and that was it's own kind of special. I only had that with a couple of MOTU figures though. Most of them I saw commercials for first.
    Last edited by gbagok; September 28, 2011 at 04:42pm.

Personally, for me, that's what a lot of this toyline is like! I didn't have any interest in a Carnivus figure until I got 'em, and now he's a favorite! Pretty much a brand new item for me.

STILL, I hear you! This is different in that these will be totally new creations, and I'm looking forward to them simply because you can't predict them.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    I like Photog and Draego-Man. They are truly MOTU. Spector no.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

I'm mostly blinded by nostalgia & this is the only toy line I collect.

So far, I've liked the protos, some 200x & none of the 30th.

But... that's... just... me...
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    But... that's... just... me...
    Fair enough! We all love He-Man in our own way.

If Orko was here he might say "Sometimes people like different things than you do. And that's OK. See you next time!"

I'm not against new characters, I'm even all for them on condition that they are imaginative and inspired characters that are developped by actual toy designers who understand how to create interesting additions to the Eternian universe. So far only Draego Man succeeded in captiviting my enthusiasm. In my opinion Photog and Spector should have remained buried forever on the graveyard of lousy ideas.
    I really like the concept of an additional line of new characters, but 2 out of the 3 reveals sunk my excitement.

What I hope for the remaining three: cool monsters (like a slimy swamp lurker, a rabid wolf guy or a vicious pit fighter), maybe even a new kind of oversized buck or a 100% sculpt. I'd prefer if they stayed within the barbarian, pre-filmation vibe.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    Fair enough! We all love He-Man in our own way.

If Orko was here he might say "Sometimes people like different things than you do. And that's OK. See you next time!"
    If only more of us had actually listened to Orko
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!