Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (9/15/2011)

Hybrid View

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (9/15/2011)

Poe Ghostal

1.) Chrissy asks: Could the next Skeletor variation (Terror Claws, Dragon Blaster, etc.) use Kobra Khans forearms and shins? This would alleviate some of the fatigue of getting another standard Skeletor body with new gear. And it would look great with Demo-Man’s freaky Alfredo Alcala styled Skeletor head.

This is something we have discussed with the Four Horsemen. Only time will tell!

3.) KillerBHive asks: Is it possible for Mattel (or Digital River) to look into a rollover system for subs, similiar to Big Bad Toy Store’s “Pile of Loot” where they hold items for you until you want them to ship? For example, I bought the Club Ecto-1 and Club Lion Force sub, and while both are scheduled to release their first items in January, delays can throw them off and then I’d have to pay shipping for each sub separately and any non-sub items that may be offered day of sale.

We actually did offer this in 2009 and their was so little interest that we did not continue this program after.

5.) Mysterious Stranger asks: Will the lower production numbers on MOTUC in 2012 affect the non-sub items like vehicles and weapons packs, i.e., will these be made in sufficient quantity to satisfy subscribers (like myself) and the sale day “cherry pickers”?

We are well aware of what the baseline is for all MOTUC items and will take that into account for non sub items.
    Infinite Hollywood

1. With more and more MOTUC items being announced each year, is the collect and connect option for certain characters being reconsidered? It seems like this might be a good way to get in complicated characters like Modulok.

We won't be exploring a C&C strategy for MOTU as we already have a large scale beast/multipack slot in the line. This slot could potentially be used for a characters like Multi Bot or Modulok that have a larger piece count.
    MOTUClassics.Com

MOTUClassics.Com:How will Fisto’s fist be connected to the figure? Will it be compatible (removable) like Roboto or compatible (customizable) with Clawful?

Terry Higuchi from design is still working this out. Once it is finalized we’ll be happy to share.

MOTUClassics.Com: Do you have any updates for us on Draego-Man? Have you had to make any changes to get him under budget?

Terry from design and Eric from the 4HM are still working on this. Due to Draego Man’s large surface area, (due to the wings and tail) he required more deco compared to the average figure, so we needed to find ways to bring him into cost. Details are still pending.
    http://www.maitresdelunivers.org/

1)TOYGURU said that during power-con you will present the C2E2 PANEL "making an action figure". My question is ,will you make it available after on mattycollector or on mattycollector facebook ?

Possibly. We are still looking into this. The panel requires a lot more discussion compared to the SDCC reveal panel that was mostly eye candy and did not need a presenter as well.

2) A message was put on mattycollector forum that Mattel is exploring possibilty of higher prices for Non Sub Holders on Sale Day for DCUC. It was also said in this post that the MOTUC action figures didn’t get a price hike for 4 years now. My question is, do you plan a price hike for MOTUC items in 2012 for “cherry pickers”?

Posssibly. We are still exploring this. Costs continue to rise and we are offten given a hard choice of removing accessories, removing deco ops or raising prices and we never want to sacrifice quality. Prices have remained flat for 4 years so a price change is inevitable in the long run. It won't affect 2012 sub holders as they are 100% locked in, but we do retain the option of increasing prices in 2012 for day of purcahses (Cherry Pickers). Whether this will happen in 2012 is still being reviewed.

3) Will Fearless Photog could finally be added in the 30th anniversary add-on sub, or will collectors may have to buy it on the sale day?

We are still working this out and hope to have an announcement by Power Con.

4) Thank you so much for the retun of mini-Comics!
    If the 3 quaterly figures who will feature the mini-comics are selling well. Will you plan to produce an other mini-comics serie for 2013?

No. It was a one time deal through a special grant from management. We do not have the funds to keep the mini comics going long term.

5) The boxart made by Rudy Obrero for the new Windraider is great! If others vehicles are made in the future, would you ask to some of the vintage line artist to work on it. One name comes to my mind William George

Possibly. At this point we do not have another second vehicle locked in so that is up in the air. But you never know!
    http://www.planeteternia.de/

1) Since you announced that you're gonna raise prices for day-of-sales of next year's DC Universe figures, will the same happen to MotU Classics?

Possibly. We are still exploring this. Costs continue to rise and we are often given a hard choice of removing accessories, removing deco ops or raising prices and we never want to sacrifice quality. Prices have remained flat for 4 years so a price change is inevitable in the long run. It won't affect 2012 sub holders as they are 100% locked in, but we do retain the option of increasing prices in 2012 for day of purcahses (Cherry Pickers). Whether this will happen in 2012 is still being reviewed.

2) Will Fisto be able to store his vintage sword on the back of his armor, as well? Judging from pics, it rather looks as if only the broader, modern sword fits in there.

The larger "200X" sword fits into the back, the Tri-Klops sword in purple does not.

3) Many fans still like the thought of two subscription options - a basic sub, containing only the 12 regular figures, and an advanced sub containing everything. Can you give some details why exactly something like that can't be done?

Sorry, this is propriatory information we do not make available. We are well aware there is fan demand but it is not something we will be offering. Many fans want the MOTUC line to work exactly for their particiular buying habbits, and while we respect that, in the end, logistically to make the line work we need to combine all the items into one sub and that is the basis for all production.

4) International collectors worry that the combined shipping you announced previously will actually result in them paying more than when they got different subs shipped separately. Would it be possible to install an optional system where every subscriber can check or uncheck combined shipping for next year's items?

We are looking into this and hope to have some options in the near future.

5) Do you consider re-doing core characters in their original designs, but with a spin, such as He-Man with more articulation to pose him in his transformation stance? Or is that off the table for the foreseeable future?

We just did this with She-Ra so it is possible. But nothing is planned at this time.
    Motucfigures.com

1.) In previous Q & A sessions, you've stated that the identity or backstory of the green head included in the Eternian Guards pack will be revealed at a later time. Many fans assumed after seeing the new mini-comic that the head represented a "snake-ified" Man-At-Arms. In the last "Ask Matty" segment though, you confirmed that the head included in the Eternian Guards pack is not intended to represent the transformed Man-At-Arms. So the question then is- If it isn't Man-At-Arms, then what is it?

You'll just need to wait and see. As we said, that info will be revealed in time.

2.) I know this has been asked before, but have you guys given any further thought to doing additional mini-comics as digital downloads? Even if you can't afford to do new stories, making the existing vintage mini-comics available in this manner would be a real treat for the fans.

Sure we know there is fan demand but when we say we have limited resources for this brand that really is so. Right now we are putting all we can into the 6" figure line, we simply don't have the available resources to branch out to comics or DVDs right now.

3.) Are vac-metalized weapons possible within the constraints of the Weapons Pak production budget? It seems like this would make a perfect outlet for Vac-metalized He-Ro armor!

Possible yes, but as vac metal is a bit more expensive it would take funds away from other items in a pack or reduce the total number of items in a pack if we included some with vac metal. Hypothetically speaking of course.

4.) This one is for Scott- Now that Filmation is on the table, which version of Evilseed do you personally want to see in MOTU Classics first: Filmation or 200x style? My vote goes to Filmation!

From Toy Guru:

"Personally? I think Evil Seed would be a perfect candidate for two heads since he has two distinct looks but could clearly share the same body. We'll just have to see what design and the Horsemen want to do when and if we get to Evil Seed, and what the budget for the figure is! But if I had to choose one head I like the "2002 head" better, not that the onion isn't cool, just not my personal choice."

5.) Time for a hint please- Can you tell us to which allegiances the 3 unknown quarterly variants in 2012 belong? You don't even need to be so specific as to say "Horde", "Galactic Protector" or anything like that… Just a simple thing like "2 evil and 1 good" would be a fun hint.

Sorry, this is still influx so we don't want to announce anything only to wind up being wrong later in the year.
    Hordak.de

1. Toy Guru told us that Shadow Weaver only shares the shoulders with other figures...so ...does she get brand new hands?

Yes, she has new hands.

2. Queen Marlena had a very different look in 200x. IF and when you get to a variant of her, will she have the same headsculpt/ haircolour?

Only time will tell. These type of discussions simply have not taken place yet.

3. Can you tell us the points of articulation on Swift Wind?

Swift is articulated with ball joints at the wings, tail, head and neck. And a t-joint at the legs, knees and ankle.

4. Now that we are getting Photog and Strobo seems possible... what about Illumina?

All are possible. Time will tell. We would really need to see much more mainsteam support for a character like Illumina. We have done testing and outside of a small but loud set of fans on hard core MOTU fan sites she has very little recongnition or demand. We'd love to get to her but we would need to see a lot more support

5. A Max Steele set has shown up which reuses the Battle Cat body... Are there other toys out there that reuse parts of MotU figures?

The DCU Beast Boy and Wonder Twin set used the Zoar bird.
    Figures.com

Is there any remote possibility of getting a 200X-inspired Man At Arms with pony-tailed head sans helmet as a possible quarterly variant?

We won't do exaggerated stylized 200X features but we could always explore a helmet less head as a variant one day!

Without giving out any specifics away can you at least confirm if a second MOTUC army-builder 2-pack is scheduled for 2012?

You will just need to wait and see. We aren't ready to comment on any 2012 skus past ThunderPunch He-Man at this time.

Will Mattel follow a specific structure to determine which three Filmation figures will be released each year? For example: (1 POP, 1 Masters, and 1 Golden Book) or will it be completely random characters?

MOTUC is much more of a river vs. a mathematical formula. Luckily fans have made numerous wish lists over the years so we have a very good idea of who fans want. Design, marketing and the Horsemen say down and reviewed all possible characters and slotted in 1-3 Filmation character a year, knowing everything is fluid and could change.

The vast majority of MOTU collectors have been asking for a Castle Grayskull playset in the line for years now but it seems that low sub sales for 2012 have halted plans for its release in 2013. How about doing a pre-order at the beginning of 2013?

Even a pre-order would take a huge amount of design work. If fans were to pre-order they of course would want to know specifics details that should expect such as size, features and scale. To work all of this out would still take a huge amount of design work and we just don't have the resources available at this time to take this on.
    Elkk Thunder's Toyroom

4- Out of all the MOTU figures to date, which character would you love to update as a version 2.0?

From Toy Guru: "For me it is He-Man. I'd love to do some new hands, a new head and maybe a more Filmation style saber holder on the back. Lots of mix and match for an "ultimate He-Man". We just ran out of available development skus to do this in 2012 but maybe in the future."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The sites listed below are the sites who want to participate in the Q&A round-up in these threads and on the He-Man.org homepage news entry.
    Be sure to check out their sites! There's a lot there to see in addition to the Q&As.

http://www.planeteternia.de/
    http://www.popculturenetwork.com/
    http://www.figures.com/
    http://www.superherotimes.com/
    http://www.kastorskorner.com/
    http://experiencethewonder.com
    http://www.motucportal.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/hordak.de UPDATED!!!
    http://www.maitresdelunivers.org/
    http://www.poeghostal.com/
    www.kittyspryde.com
    http://www.infinitehollywood.com/
    http://www.motucfigures.com/
    http://www.he-man.de/
    ElkkThunders Toy Room
    The Ultimate She-Ra Guide
    MOTUClassics.com

All other sites haven't gotten back to us yet about participating, or have asked not to be included which we completely understand and respect.
    So, please do not post the actual questions and answers from any site not listed above.
    But you are welcome to post a direct link to their Q&A, and discuss the info here in this thread.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; September 22, 2011 at 08:35am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    3.) KillerBHive asks: Is it possible for Mattel (or Digital River) to look into a rollover system for subs, similiar to Big Bad Toy Store’s “Pile of Loot” where they hold items for you until you want them to ship? For example, I bought the Club Ecto-1 and Club Lion Force sub, and while both are scheduled to release their first items in January, delays can throw them off and then I’d have to pay shipping for each sub separately and any non-sub items that may be offered day of sale.

We actually did offer this in 2009 and their was so little interest that we did not continue this program after.
    That's not even CLOSE to what they did. You had an option of having things ship each month or waiting until the end of the entire year and have them ship the whole thing (and trust DR to keep track of everything without any mistakes for 12 months). THAT'S what people had no interest in, not the pile of loot feature being talked about here, where the buyer decides on when it ships, something there has been a LARGE amount of interest in.

Rarely seen an answer so blatantly and deliberately misstating the facts.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

To be fair, the way the Pile of Loot program was described wasn't that precise and there's no reason to assume they looked up the program to look at it in detail if they weren't already familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    You had an option of having things ship each month or waiting until the end of the entire year and have them ship the whole thing (and trust DR to keep track of everything without any mistakes for 12 months).
    I had completely forgotten about that. Yeah, there was basically no interest in waiting a full year for your figures.

C&C is not going to work for MOC collectors.

Heroic Warrior
    I still wonder why some guys and gals are STILL asking questions about the horrible "collect & connect" option...

Toyguru said it constantly, again and again : NO, they DON'T plan to do collect and connect figures !

And personally, I must say that I follow TG on this one ! What would C&C bring to MOTUC ? Plenty of figure parts. Plus, given the lack of quality we get on some COMPLETE AND ENTIRE figures, just imagine the total mess it would be with C&C ! Some pieces wouldn't assemble properly, one piece would be painted differently than the other...

I'm convinced that Toyguru and Mattel made a good choice to choose entire and complete figures only. A "collect and connect" plan would be a real pain in the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    Yeah, there was basically no interest in waiting a full year for your figures.
    Actually four months, that option was only available for Sep - Dec 2009 sub, none of the full year subs have had that option.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

Heroic Warrior
    Why would anyone wait 12 months (December) to find out their February toy is broken or has defective joints? Then you call and the window to get a replacement has gone by.

If the option wasn't so unpalettable, people MIGHT have been interested, but Mattel sadly didn't prove themselves in that regard.

Setting themselves up to fail.

AFI has an answer for the little characters...

Q4) Now that we know Filmation rights are in place for you, have you given any thought towards how you would package/release some of the smaller characters like Imp, Kowl, Loki, etc? Do you think they might be made available in a multipack (Like you did in GLC wave 2) or might they be pack-ins with characters the way Orko was?

A4) There are quite a few ways we could do these type of characters. The nice thing about an online toy line is we are not restricted to retail space or package size. As long as we communicate all price points in the sub ahead of time we can pack figures however they most make sense. We also have convention items and non sub items for odd sized items. Quite litterally the options are many! You’ll just need to wait and see how they are pulled off when and if they make the line!
    It's encouraging news for the NA Scientists, Odiphus or Cursed Marzo.

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    Why would anyone wait 12 months (December) to find out their February toy is broken or has defective joints? Then you call and the window to get a replacement has gone by.

If the option wasn't so unpalettable, people MIGHT have been interested, but Mattel sadly didn't prove themselves in that regard.

Setting themselves up to fail.
    I agree I wouldnt want to wait a whole year. BUt as for people who have to wait a whole year to find out their toy is defective? What about the MOC guys who never know their figure is broken? So i think alot of people wouldnt mind waiting for the end of the year. I think they're mad, but they exist.

Also for C&C I am not interested, and it is for the best. Though for MOC as usuall I dont understand their problem. If they really want to see the figure, they open the box. If you want it unopened that implies that what it is in that state is what you want. So how they choose to package it is what "MINT" means. It's like when I hear them complain about the pose. Well open it up, you can pose it how you like. If you want to see the figure assembled, open it up.

Anyway. Ok round of answers. some repeats that are a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    The first two paragraphs here seem to be in direct contradiction to the 3rd.

You're basing production on interest. We know there's interest for Illumina, but you call her "obscure". However, resources are being allocated for several characters that only exist in someone's mind. I get Photog (even if I wont BE getting him) and the Fan Created figure.

Draego, Geoff John's character...how are heretofore non-existent characters more "in demand" than one that's been clamored for for the past 7 or 8 years?

I know...silly logic.
    I think you are misunderstanding this here.

He clearly states that while there is interest in Illumina, it's not been shown to be enough based on their gauging.

Whereas seperate from how they gauge interest, the 30th ann. figures are a seperate situation, not based on fan interest, but something extra they wanted to do.

I dont see the problem here.

If they do Illumina, fine. But though there is a vocal minority here, not including people like me who would be happy to see her just because shes a new MOTUC figure but am not invested in her at all, I dont think it reflects the majority.

Not that we're against it, exactly, but hardly motivated. I did want Gygor more than her. 'cause of his history. If they do her, cool. But I dont understand the "rush" mentality. If they do her, they'll do her. But if they dont, that's fine too. If they own the rights to her, they probably will do her.
    Last edited by baronterror; September 19, 2011 at 12:51pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroCoin View Post
    Actually four months, that option was only available for Sep - Dec 2009 sub, none of the full year subs have had that option.

- Joni -
    That's only because they started the sub late. If it had worked out, the next year the wait would have been for the full year.
    MOTUC for sale:
    MOTUC Sale Items

DC, Marvel, MOTU, and TMNT for sale:
    DC Marvel MOTUC & TMNT For Sale

My feedback:
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK
    MY FEEDBACK

From PlanetEternia:

1) Since you announced that you're gonna raise prices for day-of-sales of next year's DC Universe figures, will the same happen to MotU Classics?

Possibly. We are still exploring this. Costs continue to rise and we are often given a hard choice of removing accessories, removing deco ops or raising prices and we never want to sacrifice quality. Prices have remained flat for 4 years so a price change is inevitable in the long run. It won't affect 2012 sub holders as they are 100% locked in, but we do retain the option of increasing prices in 2012 for day of purcahses (Cherry Pickers). Whether this will happen in 2012 is still being reviewed.

2) Will Fisto be able to store his vintage sword on the back of his armor, as well? Judging from pics, it rather looks as if only the broader, modern sword fits in there.

The larger "200X" sword fits into the back, the Tri-Klops sword in purple does not.

3) Many fans still like the thought of two subscription options - a basic sub, containing only the 12 regular figures, and an advanced sub containing everything. Can you give some details why exactly something like that can't be done?

Sorry, this is propriatory information we do not make available. We are well aware there is fan demand but it is not something we will be offering. Many fans want the MOTUC line to work exactly for their particiular buying habbits, and while we respect that, in the end, logistically to make the line work we need to combine all the items into one sub and that is the basis for all production.

4) International collectors worry that the combined shipping you announced previously will actually result in them paying more than when they got different subs shipped separately. Would it be possible to install an optional system where every subscriber can check or uncheck combined shipping for next year's items?

We are looking into this and hope to have some options in the near future.

5) Do you consider re-doing core characters in their original designs, but with a spin, such as He-Man with more articulation to pose him in his transformation stance? Or is that off the table for the foreseeable future?

We just did this with She-Ra so it is possible. But nothing is planned at this time.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    sux that the Fisto sword doesnt fit on is back! Its ok cos he will be holding it in my display, but its still a shame.
    Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    From PlanetEternia: Many fans want the MOTUC line to work exactly for their particiular buying habbits, and while we respect that, in the end, logistically to make the line work we need to combine all the items into one sub and that is the basis for all production.
    Funny... I thought their product's sales actually depended on my particular buying habits
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Cherry Pickers is the new Hyper Anime Detail.

Heroic Warrior
    I would love to have Kobra Khan's forearms and shins on a Skeletor variant.

If the colors match, you can boil the figure and switch the parts with the regular and BA Skelly, too...

What you didn't include this gem?

http://www.infinitehollywood.com/201...15th-2011.html

5. It was said that obtaining the Filmation rights changed the SDCC exclusive for MOTUC. Will we see the planned exclusive in a regular release slot this year and has the Filmation rights changed the lineup in other ways?

There will be a third wave, but not for a little while. This fall, there are 6 Singles (7 if you include the K-Mart Batmite exclusive) and 4 Legacy 2-Packs.
    LOL.
    Toys, Movies, TV Shows and more reviewed at the pop culture mega site... INFINITE HOLLYWOOD.

Whooooo for 200X Evil Seed! I'm not a fan of of the Filmation design, but if they do make the character then two heads would be a great solution.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Cherry Pickers is the new Hyper Anime Detail.
    This made me laugh a lot.

What is this nonsense about Evilseed possibly having two heads? How is that gonna work? The artichoke head on the 200x body is not going to look right. They could put a robe on the 200x body but that wouldn't work because the 200x version is too muscular.

Heroic Warrior
    What is this nonsense about Evilseed possibly having two heads? How is that gonna work? The artichoke head on the 200x body is not going to look right. They could put a robe on the 200x body but that wouldn't work because the 200x version is too muscular.
    Exactly. And I think the answer is that we'll get - more than probably - a 200x Evilseed... just like it should be, in my opnion.

Quote Originally Posted by Star of the Morning View Post
    Given that the Filmation Evilseed would share the exact same buck as every other figure (it´s MOTUC, after all), the muscularity wouldn´t prevent a robe, but actually support the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Maybe separating the Current into 2 subs could help a bit...
    Basic 12 figs Sub
    Variant and Large Scale items Sub

To those who want "All-in" they just combine the subs.
    Sadly the large scale items and variants would suffer a reduction, and a possible scale-back in the amount sold per year. IMHO a reduction in the amount of variants and large scale items is a better solution than increasing prices too much and causing a dip in the customer base like the one Netflix is going through.
    Doing 12-figures-subs instead of the all-in subs will not do any good for Mattel, so they won´t offer it. They need folks to buy the quarterly variants and the beasts, too, without the risk of cherry pickers not wanting what they offer, because especially for those large scale things the costs are too high to take this risk.
    Pretty easy to calculate. They divide the costs for a whole year into 12 regular, 4 additional and 4 large scale items and they need a baseline of buyers for all these items to justify the expenses.
    Now think about Swift Wind. An entire new sculpt, but not everyones favorite toy (I still hear the moaning "it´s a girly horse"). If Mattel would offer 2 different subs and cherry pickers - or regular 12 figure subscribers - would pass on Swifty, the loss would be quite high. The all-in-subscribers would be much less than the 12-figure subscribers. And trying to compensate this loss with issuing a pink Swifty or basically any other horse wouldn´t rescue anything. Swift Wind already is the most important horse and if fans would pass on him, they would even more pass on any other horse, making the loss even bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    It just further makes me question why someone like Geoff Johns is designing a 30th Anniversary figure... and people like Lou Scheimer, Larry Ditillio, Emiliano Santalucia, Val Staples, or Rudy Obrero aren't.

Geoff is great, but what does he have to do with MOTU? I mean, he might be a fan, but in my opinion, the 30th Anniversary figures should all have been designed by significant contributors to the property.
    I have to agree with this point. To be perfectly honest, I don´t even know who Geoff Johns is. I´m a MOTU collector, not a comic book collector (or reader, for that matter).
    On the other hand, Lou Scheimer and the Filmation artists designed a plethora of characters and they all are available now since the Filmation rights are there, with good chances to being made into figure form. I would have loved for Emiliano or Val having the chance to design a new figure. BUT! If the 30th anniversary figures kick ass and are appreciated by fans and collectors, maybe there will be new characters in future years, too, with chances for "official" artists and contributors to the brand (like e.g. Emiliano is/was) to create some brand new characters.

Illumina already IS part of the more or less official group of characters, so it would be "wasting" one of only 6 available spots for brand new characters on her. That´s most propably why she won´t be a 30th anniversary line figure. Mattel can make her any time they want and feel apropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Mattel made Man-E-Faces half and half coloured based on 525 votes in their official poll:

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...wpollresults/Y

That's not thousands.
    True. BUT they announced the poll and needed ANY result for the upcoming figure, so even if only 6 people participated in that poll, they would have had a result to work with.
    You are comparing apples and oranges here.

The "testing" can be done by everyone attending SDCC, NYTF or Wizard World.... Just walk around and ask folks "Do you know Man-At-Arms?" - I´m sure most folks will AT LEAST say "Oh, that guy from the He-Man show", if they didn´t even go into full detail. Ask the same person "What about... I don´t know. Ninjor?" a percentage of folks would need to pass, some remember him and some will again go into full detail. Now ask the exact same person about Illumina. The result will be devastating.

With characters like Vikor, Battle Ground Teela or even Gygor, those are Mattel property for almost 30 years, known by the public or not. I see Mattel wanting to publish their "long-lost sons and daughters" first, before tackling anything else.
    And now ask yourself: Would you REALLY act any different? Just because <250 people bug you every day with the same question "When will we see character XYZ?"
    Last edited by DJ Force; September 17, 2011 at 04:13pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    The "testing" can be done by everyone attending SDCC, NYTF or Wizard World.... Just walk around and ask folks "Do you know Man-At-Arms?" - I´m sure most folks will AT LEAST say "Oh, that guy from the He-Man show", if they didn´t even go into full detail. Ask the same person "What about... I don´t know. Ninjor?" a percentage of folks would need to pass, some remember him and some will again go into full detail. Now ask the exact same person about Illumina. The result will be devastating.

With characters like Vikor, Battle Ground Teela or even Gygor, those are Mattel property for almost 30 years, known by the public or not. I see Mattel wanting to publish their "long-lost sons and daughters" first, before tackling anything else.
    And now ask yourself: Would you REALLY act any different? Just because <250 people bug you every day with the same question "When will we see character XYZ?"
    To be fair, Vikor, Demo-Man and Gygor were scrapped concepts that never made it into any form of media. They only hit the concept stage. At least Illumina made it into official media that people actually had access to and she had characterization besides "barbarian" or "re-used Big Jim figure for He-Man to ride"! Being around longer, doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

About asking people who knows who such and such character is, the same can be said about a lot of NA figures and the later figures from 80's MOTU. How many people know who Rotar and Twistoid are? I love them to death, but come on. Scareglow was also thought to be bootleg MOTU in the 80's by people.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    To be fair, Vikor, Demo-Man and Gygor were scrapped concepts that never made it into any form of media.
    If I understood that one right from various sources (including Emiliano), Gygor was always meant to happen in vintage MOTU, proven by lots of original drawings, prototypes and so forth. It just didn´t happen for whatever reason. And Vikor and Demo-Man weren´t really scrapped, but they originated He-Man and Skeletor. While we´re at it, I would think the military He-Man and the science fiction He-Man that Roger Sweet came up with have the same "birthright" to be made into MOTUC figure form as Vikor and Demo-Man.

They only hit the concept stage. At least Illumina made it into official media that people actually had access to and she had characterization besides "barbarian" or "re-used Big Jim figure for He-Man to ride"! Being around longer, doesn't necessarily mean it's better.
    I see where you are coming from. I hope you see vice versa. I never argued that Vikor, Gygor etc. were the better toys. I love the Illumina design, I even made a 200x custom of her AND her cat, and her weapon as a lifesize replica, which all of them I consider to be among my masterpieces. What I said was they are around longer and therefore "deserve" it more to being made, from Mattels point of view.
    And, Mattel still needs some obscure fan-favorites to keep the line going for some more years ;-)

About asking people who knows who such and such character is, the same can be said about a lot of NA figures and the later figures from 80's MOTU.
    Again, apples and oranges. MOTUC was always about exactly this. Including all the toylines from all eras.

How many people know who Rotar and Twistoid are?
    The same bunch of people that know "I don´t know... Ninjor".
    I love them to death, but come on. Scareglow was also thought to be bootleg MOTU in the 80's by people.
    This is news to me.
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    117 people and or about 250 people who hang out on this board is not enough to justify a figures based on one concept cover (as awesome as it is!!) and I think the background of a few panels in that Faceless One issue. She is cool, but we don't see more widespread interest.
    First, I'm now worried you don't realize that Illuimina and the gar woman who appeared in those background panels of the Faceless One issue in the 200x comics are two different women (and potentially two different figures). By panels, I expect you're talking about in-story panels and not the back covers/previews where the Illumina image was seen. The Gar woman on the inside panels was a contemporary of Preternia, part of the same council as Eldor and Faceless One. You've said you're a 200X fan, Scott, so you need to go back and re-read that stuff! I'm sure you don't have time to track it all down, but you know you have a resource here with this site too, right?

Second, you may think the special anniversary figures are a different ball of wax, but they're really not to your customers. They're all new characters we didn't know about that you are asking us to buy. The difference is Illumina has some demand before appearing as a toy.

Third, You say it's really just a loud minority, but what's your reason for thinking that the silent majority is going to pass on HER but didn't on Gygor or won't on Demo-Man or the 30th Anniversary figures? Once people see these figures, the majority is usually won over, even with characters who did not exist as toys before and had no pre-existing demand like Draego-Man. Why do you think Illumina will be different and will remain only appealing to that small 117-250 you say are the only ones interested? Again, 30th Anniversary is NOT different to us. It's all new characters we're accepting into the line. Vikor and Demo-Man are hardly different since they never even appeared to the public until the net. It sounds like a double-standard now that you've done several figures that are so much like Illumina in terms of demand and obscurity.

Hmmm He-Man 2.0 huh... I hope the new head is something more Alcala/Texeira-ish...
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar