Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hurricane Hordak Video Review by Pixel Dan

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I think the figure is perfectly fine. Who is honestly going to go nuts like that on the figure besides a 4 year old kid? These things go to mostly adult collectors right? Is anyone really going to be that rough on the armor or vac metal for it to really be an issue? Who's even going to take the armor off this figure? The only thing that's important is swapping the various weapons out on his arm cannon and there's no problem there as far as I can see.

Also, I like the way he looks without his black headpiece. Looks very Filmation/Secret of the Sword style if only his vac metal was silver and not gold, Hordak would be ready to abduct infants to another dimension!

Thanks for the informative review though. Good to see what happens if you get too rough with a figure like this. However, I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Yes, I know...I'm a Matty Apologist.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Thanks for the review Dan. I believe my Hurricane Hordak will remain in his package just like my Goddess. Not going to risk any breakage or rubbing.
    My blog: huckthedog.com

My trade feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=174899

The armor is terribly designed, particularly for a company as large as Mattel. It should have been two pieces of HARD plastic with softer plastic tabs holding it together. Ta-da, problem solved. You'd think they had never seen vac-metal before.

And if they wanted to add the dial, they should have incorporated it into the design somehow, like adding a red spine or something. As is, it looks like a giant dial and yet it does nothing. To me, it's the worst of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post
    The armor is terribly designed, particularly for a company as large as Mattel. It should have been two pieces of HARD plastic with softer plastic tabs holding it together. Ta-da, problem solved. You'd think they had never seen vac-metal before.

And if they wanted to add the dial, they should have incorporated it into the design somehow, like adding a red spine or something. As is, it looks like a giant dial and yet it does nothing. To me, it's the worst of both worlds.
    I'm not sure if Mattel does make anything else with VacMetal....maybe it flakes because they are really using the endless supply of glitter from their Barbie fairy dolls
    No more stuff for sell, all donated, done!
    I still need MOTUC: Strobos, King Grayskull, Wun-Dar, and Preternia He-Man
    Join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2544672215/

Quote Originally Posted by Falconhood View Post
    I'm not sure if Mattel does make anything else with VacMetal....maybe it flakes because they are really using the endless supply of glitter from their Barbie fairy dolls
    I just saw a Batman figure from the brave and bold line and it had red vac metal, and it looks very good.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Sometimes Dan's reviewing doesn't make sense to me in that regard...there is a difference between wear and tear caused by NORMAL use and that caused by ABUSE. In Dan's video, he is clearly abusing the armor. I'm betting there won't be any problems with the armor under normal use.
    Also, the "cracks" in the black paint on the neck aren't cracks. They are caused by the shiny black paint sticking to the inside of the collar in some places, and can very easily be touched up.
    Well, when Dan said he had the figure for review people were specifically asking him to bend it all to hell to test it out. I think the point of it is to show what could happen over years and years of a collector taking it on and off. So as a viewer all we have to think is "okay, I'm not doing that so it should be okay."

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    I just saw a Batman figure from the brave and bold line and it had red vac metal, and it looks very good.
    I saw him yesterday while shopping!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Well, when Dan said he had the figure for review people were specifically asking him to bend it all to hell to test it out. I think the point of it is to show what could happen over years and years of a collector taking it on and off. So as a viewer all we have to think is "okay, I'm not doing that so it should be okay."
    Exactly this. I did this specifically because people asked me to. I wouldn't do that to the armor if I was just buying him to display. But this this being a sample sent from Mattel, it's good to put a little bit of abuse on it just to demonstrate. Gives people an idea of what they can and cannot do.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I saw him yesterday while shopping!
    what was he buying?
    No more stuff for sell, all donated, done!
    I still need MOTUC: Strobos, King Grayskull, Wun-Dar, and Preternia He-Man
    Join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2544672215/

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    No problem dude! I'll explain why I don't like the dial. (My reasons may not be the same as everybody else's)

1) We were told that levers, Buttons, switches, etc would NOT be sculpted on MOTUC because they would ruin the aesthetic or something. Yet here we are with the third figure with a dial. (Now I'm worried about Mantenna getting a LEver, Tung Lashor getting a dial, Terror Claws Skeletor getting the Thumbpiece on his back)
    I'll admit that it was a nice nod for Optikk, and with the whole mechanical pieces on his back, the dial blends in.
    SyKlone... It doesn't work as well. While the dial is small and on his belt it pokes out too much.
    Now HH has NOWHERE to hide the big red dial, nothing that makes it blend in with the design. It's a Big Red Dial right there!

2)If they worked so hard to recreate the vintage look, they're doing it wrong! Check out the Comparison time part of the video, especially when vintage and MOTUC are with their backs to the camera. Notice how the vintage dial does NOT POKE out the armor. Saw a vintage SyKlone and his dial also does NOT poke out as the MOTUC one...

3)It's a vestige of an action feature that he does NOT have anymore.If the line has this emphasis on NO Action features (Aside the ones that are on a specific POA like Trap Jaw, Tri-Klops, Man-E-Faces) Roboto being the sole exception, then why are they adding things that remind the customers of what he CAN'T DO anymore!? That's like adding a manual crank (for decoration) to a car with Power Windows.

4)That's not what I'd call a decent homage... that's straight up copying the vintage dial. Making something like a Spine of Spikes for the armor (that vaguely resembles the dial) is what I'd call a decent homage...
    Ah, thanks for the insight. I guess it just doesn't bother me much at all, but your issues here make perfect sense and I agree with most of them. One thing I think I really agree with you on is that I wouldn't want to see Mantenna get a lever. So in that regard, I guess, I too am in the same camp here.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Sometimes Dan's reviewing doesn't make sense to me in that regard...there is a difference between wear and tear caused by NORMAL use and that caused by ABUSE. In Dan's video, he is clearly abusing the armor. I'm betting there won't be any problems with the armor under normal use.
    I'll grant you that one. But, the problems he had with the gold vac flaking and the tabs of the armor bending out of place and not clasping back in very well are real problems that certainly aren't being done under abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I think the figure is perfectly fine. Who is honestly going to go nuts like that on the figure besides a 4 year old kid?
    Not to sit here and speak on behalf of Dan... But I do want to point out that one of the things he mentioned in the review is that this particular figure might not be good for kids for these reasons. As a dad with a 3-year-old son that LOVES these things and everything MOTU, I found that to be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Yeah, I agree 100%! This is basically a warning for us to be careful with the figure.
    Last edited by CptSpandex; September 17, 2011 at 06:16pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hordak still has that "half-armor" thing like the first one did. I wish the armor went all the way to the belt, and not stop mid-torso. I really don't care about ab-crunch. I'd rather have full armor.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

At one point I thought Dan was going to take a hammer to the armour lol. 'Look at the shoddy worksmanship, Mattel are a bunch of cowboys!'
    Only kidding, I understand why you bent the armour like that, just found it funny too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Exactly this. I did this specifically because people asked me to. I wouldn't do that to the armor if I was just buying him to display. But this this being a sample sent from Mattel, it's good to put a little bit of abuse on it just to demonstrate. Gives people an idea of what they can and cannot do.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
    I, for one, appreciate you putting it through the stress test. I started taking off the armor to do some part swapping with the old Hordak and heard that cracking sound and immediately put the armor back on. I think I'll leave mine armored up as is.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Just finally watched this review. Darn, the vac metal issues do suck, but I'll probably mainly display mine so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me.

But I'm kind of disappointed that the shade of gray on his arms is apparently darker than on the regular MOTUC Hordak. I actually bought an extra Hurricane Hordak for the purpose of swapping his lower arm around and having a regular Hordak with an arm canon. I was hoping to avoid having to repaint anything for it to match (especially at the joints in the arms where the paint could rub off).

Oh well, I'll see if I can make it work.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Really great review dude.

You know when He-Ro came out I wasn't that fussed about the lack of vac metal armour but now Hurricane Hordak has it it bugs me. In some ways I even wish Hurricane Hordak didn't have the vac metal just so there is some consistence between him and HR.

I really don't like dial on his back and as others have said I hope Tung Lashor doesn't some with it.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Hrm. Well I play with my figures a bit and pose them often; I also love mixing-and-matching, so there we go. A toy I'm afraid to play with. Travesty. Oh well, I'll wait 'till tomorrow when I got 'em in hand to really have a verdict. Not liking that armor, though.

On the bright side, the chest looks fine, and I think figures like Entrapta could come out alright if the vac metal is on parts that are not removable. In the future, though, for figures with removable armor; I really think they need to make it like the BA figures with hard armor. I still don't like it, but...whatever. I'm just glad He-Ro didn't have it.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    He-Ro's golden armor is more superior in quality than HH vac metal...

i think this figure looks cheap and unfinished....
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Thanks for this nice review. I can't beleive we still have the same QC issues with this line. and now Mattel want more money for the figures.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    glad i watched the review. i know not to handle him to much.
    he already chipped & flaked but it was not were it was seen easily.

Quote Originally Posted by CptSpandex View Post
    I think it's a decent homage to the original figure. It doesn't serve any purpose other than that, and certainly not a function purpose, but, I get that. But still is it really that big of a deal? It's on the back of the figure.
    You're absolutely right. It serves no purpose at all! This whole line is a "nod" to the vintage figures. I don't need a stupid faux wheel that doesn't do anything. They could have used that extra plastic to help lower their "costs" and maybe include a right hand.
    Last edited by gjm679; September 23, 2011 at 10:01pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost