Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.65!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.65!

Mattel has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 65 questions!

This round of questions were selected by Shokoti's Slave.
    Thanks to that fan for their help!

-------------------

1. Shecky: During the last year or so when someone asked about a particular figure that wasn't confirmed, you would usually say that you couldn't comment on anything beyond a certain upcoming figure. Why then would you make the recent comments on Castle Grayskull when as recently as last month during the SDCC you mentioned that it wasn't in the cards anytime soon?

We wanted to manage expectations. Fans have already been posting "rumors" that CG was going to be shown as early as Power Con and we wanted to avoid disapointing fans by managing expectations of what is in the works as far as line growth.

2. Crusader: Is there a possibility that a small part of Granamyr's production run could be painted green instead of red? Perhaps at a slightly higher price point and using a pre-order system as recently suggested for Castle Grayskull.

We won't be splitting the production but it is possible we could reissue Granamyr in Green down the road just as we could possibly do a flocked Panthor one day. But the fan vote goes first!

3. Shokoti's Slave: What is your process to decide which Filmation characters you'll be making and when?

The MOTUC line is much more of a river vs a mathamatical formula. Luckily fans have been posting Filmation request lists for years so we have a very good idea of who they want. Essentially marking, design and the Horsemen all say down for dinner and discussed fan favorites, personal favorties, character that would make "great toys" and a few wild cards to keep fans on their toes. Then we split the list over the next several years to ensure each year had a great offering from the Filmation bucket!

4. jdscissorhands: The Star Sisters 3-pack seem to have triggered some criticism (expensive item, obscure characters, etc) and many fans attributed the lower 2012 subs selling to its reveal at SDCC. Does it mean that further 2 or 3-packs are doomed or is there still hope for us fans to see more of those in the next few months? For example, a Comet Warrior 3-pack would rock.

Not at all. We already sold enough Star Sister packs in the sub so we are in the clear. If a character pairing calls for a 3 pack (or a 2 pack or any other combo) we could certainly explore that. But nothing to announce right now. This is the beauty of an online toy line. Without retail package limitations we can explore a lot more options for fans when it is called for.

5. grenadaspice: You have mentioned that with the addition of Filmation characters added to the line, it will bump figures off the road map to where the line was originally headed with bios and the time frame of certain figure releases. With the tentative plan being 2-3 Filmation characters released per year, have you considered knocking off 2-3 of the quarterly A-list variants in favor of filling in the new Filmation characters instead so we get more per year?

The Filmation characters did knock other figures off the road map (or rather pushed them out) but we know there is still demand for variants of major characters so we have no intention of just ending these to make way for Filmation. In the long run the idea is to deliver all of the above!

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 67!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 4.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 5.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 6.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 7.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 8.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 9.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 10.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 11.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 12.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 13.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 14.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 15.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 16.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 17.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 18.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 19.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 20.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 21.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 22.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 23.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 24.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 25.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 26.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 27.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 28.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 29.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 30.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 31.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 32.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 33.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 34.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 35.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 36.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 37.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 38.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 39.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 40.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 41.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 42.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 43.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 44.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 45.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 46.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 47.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 48.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 49.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 50.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 51.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 52.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 53.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 54.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 55.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 56.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 57.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 58.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 59.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 60.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 61.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 62.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 63.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 64.
    And, have fun discussing Mattel's answers to your Round 65 questions!

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    I'm excited about the addition of Filmation to the line and it'd be really great if the figure announced at Power-Con was from that catalog.
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

Since my question regarding Castle Grayskull was answered (thanks to Shokoti's Slave for selecting it ), I'll ask the obvious:

Where did the rumors regarding Castle Grayskull being shown at Power Con originate from? I saw posts here and there pertaining to said rumors, but never understood where these rumors came from .

Regards,
    Victor P.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Love the Filmation response and I'm also really pumped that dream has finally come true. Wish I couldve been a fly on the wall for that conversation...although I'd have to try to throw my choices into the mix too so I'd probably end up swatted.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    THE FILMATION CHARACTERS DID KNOCK OTHER FIGURES OFF THE ROAD MAP (OR RATHER PUSHED THEM OUT) but we know there is still demand for variants of major characters so we have no intention of just ending these to make way for Filmation. In the long run the idea is to deliver all of the above !

Hmmmm... THIS is a very interesting answer !

SO, the Filmation characters pushed some other characters OUT of the roadmap... That is NOT what Toyguru seemed to imply after SDCC. He had even said that Filmation figures had ADDED some more years to the roadmap.

So, where's the truth ? Somewhere in between ?

The answer we just got seems to mean that the roadmap won't include some characters...

I sure hope the characters that were pushed out are NOT vintage characters, OR unique sculpts, because this is the kind of thing that would drive me berserk !

I just can't wait to learn more about this... Maybe in the next WTFWTK ?

Anyway, thank you grenadaspice for asking this question ! Toyguru's answer will have us pondering for a while with that answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Hmmmm... THIS is a very interesting answer !

SO, the Filmation characters pushed some other characters OUT of the roadmap... That is NOT what Toyguru seemed to imply after SDCC. He had even said that Filmation figures had ADDED some more years to the roadmap.

So, where's the truth ? Somewhere in between ?

The answer we just got seems to mean that the roadmap won't include some characters...

I sure hope the characters that were pushed out are NOT vintage characters, OR unique sculpts, because this is the kind of thing that would drive me berserk !

I just can't wait to learn more about this... Maybe in the next WTFWTK ?

Anyway, thank you grenadaspice for asking this question ! Toyguru's answer will have us pondering for a while with that answer...

I actually read that answer the exact opposite way that you did. I thought when he originally said they were pushed "OFF" the roadmap, that was implying they were not going to be made, and then he clarified by saying they were pushed "OUT" meaning out further down the roadmap as opposed to being completely pushed off of the roadmap. I hope my interpretation is the correct one (as I'm sure you are too ).

Heroic Warrior
    Waynepoo, just like you I hope we'll get as many cool characters as possible (and then some), and that no one will be "suppressed" from the roadmap.

Personally, the only reason that would prevent me to get a figure is a lack of quality (or a lack of money, eventually).

But I'll collect all I can !

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    What he means is that with the Filmation characters thrown now into the mix, several slots will be replaced...theres no intention to cancel any characters because of it, just pushed back to some other year.

MOTU Addict/Horde Wannabe Spikewolfe's Avatar
    My concern with the addition of Filmation characters is that NA characters are really getting the short end of the stick. I realize that NA isn't something that everyone wants in MOTUC, but seriously, we're averaging only one NA figure every year and a half here, yet suddenly Filmation is getting two or three a year???

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikewolfe View Post
    My concern with the addition of Filmation characters is that NA characters are really getting the short end of the stick. I realize that NA isn't something that everyone wants in MOTUC, but seriously, we're averaging only one NA figure every year and a half here, yet suddenly Filmation is getting two or three a year???
    There weren't all that many NA characters that had figures in the first place. As long as the core characters get made I'll be happy.
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

Filmation is a far more important portion of MOTU. They are doing the right thing by adding in Filmation stuff ASAP.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    A 200X variant was pushed back for a Filmation character, so NA is safe as far as we know.

Quote Originally Posted by MldMnrdReporter View Post
    There weren't all that many NA characters that had figures in the first place. As long as the core characters get made I'll be happy.
    18 different NA characters left, not counting He-Man and Skeletor or Skeletor variants. I think that's a lot. We don't want MOTUC becoming New Adventures Classics at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Filmation is a far more important portion of MOTU. They are doing the right thing by adding in Filmation stuff ASAP.
    Are you trying to start a Filmation Cartoon vs New Adventures Toyline Era War?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress Ninjor Tung Lashor Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Mermista Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Are you trying to start a Filmation Cartoon vs New Adventures Toyline Era War?
    No. There's no war to be had there. Trust me.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Since my question regarding Castle Grayskull was answered (thanks to Shokoti's Slave for selecting it ), I'll ask the obvious:

Where did the rumors regarding Castle Grayskull being shown at Power Con originate from? I saw posts here and there pertaining to said rumors, but never understood where these rumors came from .

Regards,
    Victor P.
    The Orb holder shown at SDCC had some people speculating, then a board member here or there with there "inside sources"

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post

Regards,
    Victor P.
    It started with a fan asking about it in a AQ session and then questions and suggestions started being thrown for months. They are aware of the demand and are looking forward to step it up starting with the vehicle sales.