Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 127 Discussion! *Jeff Wadlow / He-Man Movie Special*

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 127 Discussion! *Jeff Wadlow / He-Man Movie Special*

Episode 127 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Nate Baertsch are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they are joined by new He-Man movie writer/director Jeff Wadlow to discuss
    Facebook tagging,
    Jeff Wadlow and a He-Man film,
    being a fan of He-Man,
    pitching for He-Man,
    the tone of a He-Man film,
    furry underpants,
    Superman and design,
    TMNT movie designs,
    87 MOTU movie,
    Skeletor,
    She-Ra,
    favorite characters,
    He-Ro or King Grayskull,
    Batman,
    new generation of fans,
    movie MOTU toys,
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on August 22, 2014
    Runtime: 1 hour, 19 minutes, 47 seconds

Direct link for Episode 127

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Recorded on August 27th? I wonder how much has changed on his or the studio's agenda since that time?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Karg 5) Lodar 6) Mask of Power Demons 7) Talon Fighter 8) Road Ripper 9) Lord Masque 10) Snake Mountain 11) Vintage Fright Zone 12) Dragon Walker

From previous thread:

It was recorded at the end of August, but it's all still very relevant.

The Sony hacks don't have any say on what we talked about. I spoke with Jeff not that long ago and everything is as it was when we recorded this. So have no worries!

Upset PoP fans in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Karg 5) Lodar 6) Mask of Power Demons 7) Talon Fighter 8) Road Ripper 9) Lord Masque 10) Snake Mountain 11) Vintage Fright Zone 12) Dragon Walker

Heroic Warrior
    2 episodes same week great stuff
    thanks for doing these.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Wow...I am so impressed by this interview! Jeff Wadlow sounds like he gets it. I love the story about him putting the original eight figures on the table when meeting with Sony. He's a real fan.

I honestly had little faith a live action Masters of the Universe could work, but, I think Jeff is the man for the job.

Great podcast!

On a side note, I really thought it was interesting he said he was a bit turned off getting into Classics after it started due to the price. Even a Hollywood guy thinks these figure are expensive, lol. Now he's a completist, many dollars later.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    The episode is wrapping and I have got to say I am VERY excited for what is to come!!!!!

I agree with the sentiment that a "Guardians of the Galaxy" type movie would be just AWESOME!!!!!!

Fingers crossed that Jeff and Sony can deliver

That is a nice suprise to wake up too.

Happy NewYear!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Ok i have to chime in. Hearing Jeff, i just have to say wow, just wow. Everything he said makes total sense and hearing what made him a fan etc. gives a lot of hope the movie (if they let do him what he want) might become good. Just dont use the bios as an idea provider. Consider especially Eric Treadaway ,Emiliano and Mark Taylor as adviser instead. Especially for design questions. Just my humble opinion
    Last edited by JimPansen; January 1, 2015 at 12:27pm.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Halfway in and I LOVE Jeff!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Wow. A lot of Jeff's sentiments echo my own since we come from similar places -- we really liked 200X and we started collecting this line fresh right after Star Wars. Jeff even knew about the sub...

Transformers, specifically the Bayformers movie toys got less intricate because people complained that the figures were too involving with translating the animation models into workable toys. Although more screen accurate, their engineering and transformation schemes were getting TOO complex for non-hardcore fans. So Hasbro made the TF4 Bayformers easier to transform and more appealing to kids.

Fatigue also had a hand in things, as TF3 characters pegwarmed shelves. Even figures from Iron Man 3, Amazing Spider-Man, etc. didn't move much.

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

As for toys, I hope something like Marvel Universe.
    3.75 / 4 inch seem to be the new (affordable) standard which still include great articulation. The 4 Horsemen Mystic Legions is something I look forward to.
    Too bad Mattel has never done anything close to Mattel Universe. Their Young Justice 4 inch line was an overpriced under-articulated disgrace. Still bought them hoping that the cartoon would continue.. but is was running on the channel where cartoons die, like Dan says

This sounded VERY promising! Mr Wadlow obviously was introduced to the wonderful world of MOTU, the same way as I was, with boxarts, minicomics and, of course, the figures themselves. I hope his project is lifting off, as soon as possible!

I would really wish for him to enlist Ibentmymanthing and Matthew K from thefwoosh, though! And how about hiring Zombiehamma for the spx/sculpting department..?
    Leech sucks..!

I listened to it. Jeff does sound like one of the good guys. His films haven’t really be received by critics with a standing ovation, but very few are nowadays. I'm willing to overlook that, as the man seems to have a genuine passion for MOTU. No Wikipedia involved. He seems to know what he’s talking about.

I particularly liked his answer about not being afraid to put more than a few characters in the movie. Too many times filmmakers are afraid to populate their world for the first films, in fear of it being “too much” for the audience. Well, you can do that, as long as you have the confidence to do so. It seems that Mr. Wadlow clearly has. He was mentioning Stratos a lot, so I think it’s safe to say he’s in. That’s great.

But yeah, fingers crossed. I really hope this is it this time. As you all said in the episode, the Classics line is winding down now. It’s got a year, maybe two years tops. That’s it. A movie is a perfect place to start afresh for a new generation. Hopefully we’ll get some good news by the summer.

#1. I have 0 expectations for the movie. Well, just one...That it's good. I mean that in a good way. I hope it does reach across demographics to make a united kind of film.

#2. I agree with JVS. I think of it as energy and not as an individual. The "personality" comes from the individual. I think that's what makes it special. Like it could be anybody who received it. Anybody could have that "transformative" power. Going back to what Josh said.

#3. I am going to tie in Pixel Dan's & Penny Dreadful's ideas of what would work for a retail toy line. I am going to tie their points into what makes MOTU , IMO, so great and what I am theorized what was part of the "pitch" for the movie and how to make it make sense...IMAGINATION!

Imagination is what is missing from retail toy lines. TMNT does work because it is IMAGINATION...mutant ninja turtles = imaginative.

Kids don't go out and play in the dirt anymore, OMG, I've now become old. They sit in the house on a tablet or phone.

MOTU needs to come back to the mainstream and show people what imagination is. It's not just swords and magic, or technology, or ninjas or cowboys...it's ALL of them in the same world! It's the world we live in today!

GAH!

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post

I particularly liked his answer about not being afraid to put more than a few characters in the movie. Too many times filmmakers are afraid to populate their world for the first films, in fear of it being “too much” for the audience. Well, you can do that, as long as you have the confidence to do so. It seems that Mr. Wadlow clearly has. He was mentioning Stratos a lot, so I think it’s safe to say he’s in. That’s great.
    I think it would be safe to say trap jaw aswell will be in the movie, one of his favs and disappointed that he wasnt in the 87 movie.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Despite my feelings about Kick-Ass 2 (I thought it was a really garbage sequel to a great first film), I feel like if anybody has to make this movie, it should be someone with a fan's passion and knowledge of the property and we could do a lot worse than having Jeff Wadlow at the helm. He sounds smart and like someone I'd be happy to call a friend... a person who grew up on MOTU, knows it inside and out through its various incarnations over the years, but knows a movie is going to be completely different beast with its own set of rules. He seems like a fan who's passion is tempered with a healthy dose of REALITY. In other words, he seems to know what's going to work for a first MOTU film (keeping it pretty basic and setting it up so anybody can jump on board and follow what's going down) vs. what won't (throwing in everything from She-Ra to the Powers Of Grayskull era to the Snake Men to the Meteorbs to NA in the first film would result in a pile of laughable cinematic garbage. It's great for a toyline, but I mean... seriously. All crammed into one film and forced down the public's throats just isn't going to work, folks). I have hope for this movie... hope that it's going to be entertaining and fun and something with re-watch value. I don't have expectations that it's going to set the box office on fire or kick off a bold new era for Masters Of The Universe as a property, though. Not that I think this film will tank, but I don't see lightning striking twice... Guardians Of The Galaxy was a magic moment and it's popularity lasted beyond it's opening weekend. But a He-Man film in this vein could very well be perceived as a cheap knock-off to those not already familiar with He-Man and could die off quickly after it's first weekend. Well, I guess that's tanking, isn't it? Anyways, my expectations for its success are low... but I think the movie itself will turn out alright- if that makes sense. It just needs to happen, like, yesterday. This movie has been in development for sooo long... I fear whatever the hold-up is, that if it persists for a few more years that this movie just won't even happen at all. I'll get really excited once we hear locations are being scouted and a cast is locked into place and a shoot date is announced.
    It was fun listening to the RGD gang recount the 2002 era... seems just like yesterday, running around to every store within a 30 mile radius trying to find Mer-Man and Mekaneck and reselling whatever extras I could lay my hands on in the marketplace! Also sad at the same time when you realize over a decade later and Cartoon Network is still pulling the same stunts with everything from Ben 10 to Beware The Batman. If a new animated series comes into play, I sincerely hope Mattel is able to get it on any network BUT Cartoon Network!
    I won't be collecting a new movie line unless it's done in Classics style, but am on board with the sentiments that yes- it needs to be geared towards the kids, offered in various scales, bright colors, fun gimmicks, unique packaging, with the role playing toys and plushies and lord knows what else in order for it to actually catch on and generate sales in the stores.
    It's a weird time for me personally to be a He-Man fan. It's the first era (whatever we're calling this era at this precise moment), where instead of gobbling up every single product that sports the MOTU logo (and good grief... there's a LOT of it these days! This has to be either a completists' worst nightmare or a fantasy come true!), I'm being more picky... passing a lot of stuff over and just sticking to what I genuinely like vs. "Oh this new He-Man thing came out and I just HAVE to support the brand and buy it!!!" So, for me, it will be interesting to see, as a movie's release draws near, if ANY of the stuff Mattel comes up with actually holds any interest for me. Will they be able to entice me into picking up Imaginext MOTU product? Will they get me into collecting 3.5" (or whatnot) scaled figures? Will I buy a box set of the cartoons AGAIN, if they're put out on blu-ray? The Filmation score on vinyl? Will Mondo get the rights to do a series of prints?! It's doubtful, but I am curious to see what they put out there once this beast is unleashed... I guess I actually am excited already?
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Look what the VP of Sony just posted on Twitter! Check the date!

PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Olga Kurkulina (Mother Russia) needs to play Huntara. Or Scorpia. But just needed to get that in there. To Hell with the separate properties thing.

But seriously, very wonderful episode! I agree, I'm encouraged. Although I do want to complain about choosing King Grayskull over He-Ro. Boo!!! I like what DC has done with him (the tragic betrayal by the Gar is a much more interesting demise for him than the heroic martyr on the battlefield--but obviously one's a kid's show and the other is trying to emulate Game of the Thrones so no surprise the original was more tame), however the basic flaw of KG IMO is that visually he's just a bigger He-Man with longer hair and a cape. If he looked like Odin or something I wouldn't feel that, he'd have a more distinct feel. But the figure and character so far is just uber-He-Man. I'm sure a movie would do a lot to fix that, but why can't he just be He-Ro the wizard if you have to do that anyway? I know, people like him, so whatever. Sorry for the crap Jeff got from kids on the bus about the Horde. Despite how empowered girls are with Frozen and all, I suspect that's still a scene that could play out now as well.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Hot Diggity Dragon Walker!

New He-Man movie script title page!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

They're soooo putting pants on He-Man (which I'm OK with because the pants don't make the man).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug View Post
    This sounded VERY promising! Mr Wadlow obviously was introduced to the wonderful world of MOTU, the same way as I was, with boxarts, minicomics and, of course, the figures themselves. I hope his project is lifting off, as soon as possible!

I would really wish for him to enlist Ibentmymanthing and Matthew K from thefwoosh, though! And how about hiring Zombiehamma for the spx/sculpting department..?
    A very kind thing to say sir, it would be my dream job , imagine doing a awesome beast man or mer man makeup/bodysuit MAN! That would be fantastic !!!

Ok- Where is the petition to let Sony know that the He-Man community backs Jeff Wadlow? Lol. I'll sign it right now! After listening to this episode, I really feel like he's the one to give the director's chair to. I've honestly been kind of dreading a MOTU movie, right up until he started to speak. Now, I'm just worried about getting my hopes up too high!
    Come on Matty! Show me DRAGSTOR!!!

WHERE'S CRITA???? C'MON MATTY! DO THE RIGHT THING!

Elder Councilman
    I love what Pixel Dan is saying about how Classics would have died at retail ages ago.

The thing is...it's not just about an economy that's not as great; the market was a different place back then, and toys like these don't sell at retail as they did back then, not when kids can get a cheap video game instead, or get an iTunes app, or something like that.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

A podcast so nice, I listened to it twice!
    END OF LINE