Thread: WARNING: Jewelstar's ponytail is very fragile!

WARNING: Jewelstar's ponytail is very fragile!

I was just checking out (admiring) Jewelstar and noticed some nasty cracks on both the topside and underside of her ponytail. These cracks must have occurred during the manufacturing or packaging stage because I haven't messed around with her hair at all. These cracks are only visible when I flex the hair slightly, so I don't anticipate it being a huge problem as I don't play around with that sort of thing a lot. Has anyone else noticed this?

This is clearly due to the amount of handling during production of the overly soft plastic used to construct these figures. Be careful everyone (well, everyone that bought them )!
    I left my wallet in El Segundo...

I noticed this too. The hair is made of the same soft plastic of the jewel crown. This makes it flexible and being that it's so skinny at the base bends easily and the paint cracks. As soon as I noticed it I made sure Jewelstar never lays on her back, thus putting stress on the ponytail. I hope it doesn't get worse, she is by far my favorite of the Star Sisters.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Heroic Warrior
    Mine was like this when I removed her from the package. Another notch on Matty's idiocy belt. Thanks Toyguru and Co.!

Hm no problems with my Jewelstar, hopefully it is not a widespread issue.

I honestly thought I was the only one. Breaks like old rubber/eraser bars.

Don't put pressure on it, it'll just crack more!

mine is like this to

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Mine looks like it could break if I wasn't careful. Like and eraser. Or Manglor! Well, maybe not Manglor, but it seems like her hair's got signs that could be "almost cracks" but not actual cracks. I'm not sure, though. It could just be the way the paint bunches up from the hair bending.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    All three of my Jewelstar figures are like this. Only one is cracked though. The paint helps to make it a tiny bit more stable, but yeah...you have to be EXTREMELY careful with Jewelstar's head! I wish her head was cast out of the same plastic as her jeweled arms and boots.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Her hair is extremely similar to Catra's (in shape). Why couldn't they just use the same tooling as her's? That way we would actually have hair articulation and durability...

My Jewelstar also has a small crack underside of her ponytail.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

Princess of the 80's Princess_Adora's Avatar
    I noticed mine had cracks a few weeks ago but I figured that maybe I had put too much stress on it when removing her from the plastic.
    "My whole life has changed because of this sword!" ~Adora

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Out of curiosity, has anyone made a list of the major QC problems from just the last year? This seems to be getting really bad; is it just a lot of things popping up at once or is it a genuine pattern emerging?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Out of curiosity, has anyone made a list of the major QC problems from just the last year? This seems to be getting really bad; is it just a lot of things popping up at once or is it a genuine pattern emerging?
    It would be interesting to compose such a list it it doesn't exist already.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Such a list would be very helpful!
    It could be a new type of "catch all" quality control thread,
    listing within the first post updates by release year.
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Songster "Kevin Corrigan", Kittrina, Illumina, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Granita, Spritina, Sprag, Sprocker, KARG, Hunga the Harpy, Lodar, Green Reptile Mask of Power Demon, Purple Wolf Mask of Power Demon, Lizorr, Hoove, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn, Dylamug, Colonel Blast, Monster Riders Of Morc
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

Yeah I noticed this myself when I got her out of the package; I've been trying to figure out a place to set her that won't risk ruining the ponytail. Most of my figures are layin' down in a plastic drawer thing, but I don't think I want her sittin' with the rest of 'em. Probably should just set her on top...
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    I have not noticed it since Jewelstar went straight into a storage box along with unwanted / unsightly figures and spare body parts... :-)
    She looks HORRIBLE to me. (unlike Starla who's proudly standing between She-ra and Hordak!) It sucks that people who actually like Jewelstar have to worry about that ponytail though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Heroic Warrior
    Did anyone do anything to fix this? My two girls are playing with her constantly and I'm trying hard to make sure it doesn't break.
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I had something similar with UNO's ear. It must have pressed up against something and it created a small tear. Thankfully it goes back to normal, the tear didn't go that deeply, but I was a little surprised.

I've also found that whatever that purple color they used on Spinnerella and Glimmer's hair doesn't hold has well as most paints. It's very easy to chip off. The Glimmer I did myself trying to clean off a black spec in her hair - thankfully it's in the back though. Spinnerella came that way, with some nasty gashes in the back where the crown goes. Again, thankfully it's covered by the hair piece - but something about that color paint is very prone to flaking.