Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And Thor has his own............She-Ra.

Heroic Warrior

And Thor has his own............She-Ra.

Did anyone remember a certain character called Angela from Spawn? If not, let's remember her:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_%28comics%29

The character has been introduced in the pages of Spawn pubblished by Image Comics, but after a long judicial debate between her creators, Marvel bought her rights and the character introduced last year in the main Marvel Universe. Now you are going to ask what this has to do with She-Ra and MOTU? Well in the last issue of Original Sin Thor & Loki #1 it was revealed that Angella is the long lost sister of Thor, that she was kidnapped when she was an infant, by the enemies of Asgard, and now Thor is on her trail. Did this story sounds familiar to you? And the similarities don't end here. This is an image of Angela from the new comic:

http://insidepulse.com/wp-content/up...rse-Sister.jpg

The irony is that when the preview of DC MOTU #13 with King Grayskull forging the Swords, was revealed many fans made jokes of it, like "Thor called and wants his hammer back". I think now is the turn for MOTU fans to say "that He-Man called and asked for his sister back".

Now the big question is that if Angela will be introduced in one of the possible Thor's future movies, before She-Ra make her appearance in a possible future MOTU movie franchise what is going to happen? Who is going to be consider rip-off to whom?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I remember Angela. She was big back in the 90's, but the Gaimian lawsuit made McFarlane not use her despite her big popularity.

I like Angela in the MU and I'm glad she still looks like Angela, but I hate that she isn't used to focus upon angels more. Now she's an Asgardian. A goddess, instead of an angel who hunts hellspawn.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    I think now is the turn for MOTU fans to say "that He-Man called and asked for his sister back".
    Luke Skywalker might be calling both MOTU and Marvel to say the same thing

Now the big question is that if Angela will be introduced in one of the possible Thor's future movies, before She-Ra make her appearance in a possible future MOTU movie franchise what is going to happen? Who is going to be consider rip-off to whom?
    At the rate at which movies come out, and given how new she is, I don't expect Angela to ever make it into the Marvel movies. They've got tons and tons of characters out there still waiting to make it into the movies and I doubt it's a storyline that the average fan is clamoring for.

My guess is that Angela won't show up in Thor, and that She-Ra... well, if they ever do make a MOTU movie, I could see her showing up (at least in a sequel), but I'm far from certain that MOTU will ever be made.

I remember hearing somewhere that the plan is only three Thor movies, and we still haven't been introduced to Balder, Enchantress, Surtur and many others.

And the Marvel cinematic verse doesn't seem to be tied down to really retelling comic book stories it's more take the characters and make a story work out of it.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Luke Skywalker might be calling both MOTU and Marvel to say the same thing

At the rate at which movies come out, and given how new she is, I don't expect Angela to ever make it into the Marvel movies. They've got tons and tons of characters out there still waiting to make it into the movies and I doubt it's a storyline that the average fan is clamoring for.

My guess is that Angela won't show up in Thor, and that She-Ra... well, if they ever do make a MOTU movie, I could see her showing up (at least in a sequel), but I'm far from certain that MOTU will ever be made.
    At least the Star Wars twins, apart from the fact that they have been seperated at birth, their story is quite different from the MOTU twins story.

But what Marvel is doing witn Angela, is to copy She-Ra's story. Reading the comic for me was almost like seeing the Secret of the Sword but with different protagonists. The main difference is that Thor and Angela are siblings but not twins (Angela seems to be the older one), and the fact that Odin and Freya were sure that their daughter was dead. Even the explanation that Freya gave to Thor, to not tell him about his sister for sparring him the pain from her loss is exactly the same thing that the Sorceress told to Adam.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I kind of don't see the point. The only thing that really comes off as recognizable are the wings on her head. The origin is different, and instead of being an angel from Heaven, she's now a Norse god. It ends up being a totally different character. If this is the result, Gaiman could've let Todd keep Angela and he could've made a new character, because in the end, that's what he did anyway. Gaiman isn't even really doing this because he just let Marvel use her and others have been working on the character.

Court Magician
    Agreed. Says it all about the creativly bankrupt Marvel banking on 90s nostalgia as per bloody usual rather than come up with something unique and different. Nothing that can be said about this approach to Angela in character, origin, or plot. If it's not Gaiman, I'm not interested.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    Doesn't seem that the new Thor is Angela though (the new Thor is blonde, Angela is a redhaid). So who is she the worthy?
    Ah and the new Unworthy Thor is looking more like He-Man, than DC He-Man did so far (especially with his battle axe):

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/...it_uncanny.jpg

But that's life. Mattel didn't trust the barbarian look for He-Man in the DC comic, and now Marvel adopting a Barbarian Thor, which is now my favorite version of the character.

Variety has a more in-depth explanation.

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/mar...es-1201262561/
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Interesting this comes a few days after the news of Batgirl getting a new costume and creative team.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I understand she has different powers, but couldn't Marvel have just spotlighted Valkyrie instead of doing this?

I say this without reading many new comics. I guess using the same characters for 50 plus years, you sorta run out of new things to do.
    Support Crystal Moonbeam in MOTUC - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...nbeam-in-MOTUC!

Co-Creator of the NV
    There is actually some precedence for female thors, given Thor Girl. Thor's got a history of passing the mantle onto others, having passed it on to a human male and a horse-faced alien in the past, so his being replaced by a female isn't all that unusual.

At least the Star Wars twins, apart from the fact that they have been seperated at birth, their story is quite different from the MOTU twins story.

But what Marvel is doing witn Angela, is to copy She-Ra's story. Reading the comic for me was almost like seeing the Secret of the Sword but with different protagonists. The main difference is that Thor and Angela are siblings but not twins (Angela seems to be the older one), and the fact that Odin and Freya were sure that their daughter was dead. Even the explanation that Freya gave to Thor, to not tell him about his sister for sparring him the pain from her loss is exactly the same thing that the Sorceress told to Adam.
    Ya... I mean it's not like both twins had seemingly magical powers that are paired up with swords that are unbreakable, can cut through anything and are known for deflecting beam-based weapons. Or if there was a cyborg father (or father figure), who was second in command to an even more powerful entity that led an intergalactic empire.... or if the daugher ended up playing a leadership role in a group dedicated to fighting that aforementioned empire, called the rebels.... oh waaaaaaait

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    There is actually some precedence for female thors, given Thor Girl. Thor's got a history of passing the mantle onto others, having passed it on to a human male and a horse-faced alien in the past, so his being replaced by a female isn't all that unusual.

Ya... I mean it's not like both twins had seemingly magical powers that are paired up with swords that are unbreakable, can cut through anything and are known for deflecting beam-based weapons. Or if there was a cyborg father (or father figure), who was second in command to an even more powerful entity that led an intergalactic empire.... or if the daugher ended up playing a leadership role in a group dedicated to fighting that aforementioned empire, called the rebels.... oh waaaaaaait
    There are some similarities (the empire, and the rebels foremost) but Leia wasn't kidnapped or stolen by Vader, she was not raised by Vader, she wasn't a villain in the beginning, and the swords of Grayskull have more in common with Conan's sword or Excalibur (or any other magical sword) than the techno light sabers. So the Secret of the Sword's story was influenced yes by Star Wars, but it's not a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I understand she has different powers, but couldn't Marvel have just spotlighted Valkyrie instead of doing this?

I say this without reading many new comics. I guess using the same characters for 50 plus years, you sorta run out of new things to do.
    Valkyrie, Thorgirl, and as was mentioned we have had Beta Ray Bill and Eric Masterson who became Thunderstrike (both of whom go their own versions of Mjolnir).

It's mostly marketing that's going on with the change, it brings in media exposure people will buy the first couple of issues and then filter off. This is kind of similar what Marvel did with Captain America recently, and Spider-man. I head some of the stuff was good with all that, because it allowed the writers to do something different with the character without running into the they would never do that thing.

But you run into the same problem that DC runs into, eventually Thor will be back as Thor. Then current Thor will either die, fade away or have a name change. Just look at all the Green Lanterns, Flashes, etc that come and go then you have multiples etc.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post

They could have used:

Valkyrie
    Sif
    Angella
    Thor Girl

Sigh. But the audience wouldn't support books where an unestablished female character has her OWN identity and powers, so a female HAS to be a female version of a male character to succeed.

Just put the top A-list talent on a low-selling book and watch it's sales go through the roof.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Valkyrie, Thorgirl, and as was mentioned we have had Beta Ray Bill and Eric Masterson who became Thunderstrike (both of whom go their own versions of Mjolnir).

It's mostly marketing that's going on with the change, it brings in media exposure people will buy the first couple of issues and then filter off. This is kind of similar what Marvel did with Captain America recently, and Spider-man. I head some of the stuff was good with all that, because it allowed the writers to do something different with the character without running into the they would never do that thing.

But you run into the same problem that DC runs into, eventually Thor will be back as Thor. Then current Thor will either die, fade away or have a name change. Just look at all the Green Lanterns, Flashes, etc that come and go then you have multiples etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    They could have used:

Valkyrie
    Sif
    Angella
    Thor Girl

Sigh. But the audience wouldn't support books where an unestablished female character has her OWN identity and powers, so a female HAS to be a female version of a male character to succeed.

Just put the top A-list talent on a low-selling book and watch it's sales go through the roof.
    You're both right.
    Support Crystal Moonbeam in MOTUC - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...nbeam-in-MOTUC!

It's a lazy, transparent marketing move that wont last. It's also a bit insulting to pre-existing female characters. Basically Marvel is saying that in order to be a strong female hero, she has to be a female do-over of a long lasting male character. All this move is serving to do is temporarily increase sales of Thor comics until after the first few issues are out and the people who are just buying the comics because of the media attention fall off and the long time fans enraged by a senseless change drop the book, then they'll cancel Thor for a bit before they reboot him yet again. It's a complete waste of time instead of writing good stories.

It is basically Superior Spider-Man all over again. She will be the completely totally and positively permanent Thor from now on...at least for a year or 2 (if not less).

And like Inferior Spider-Man it is just so stupid.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

The best part about Superior Spider-man was statements when they were putting Parker back how they had planned it that way from the beginning it just came about a bit sooner than they wanted for unforeseen reasons.

I don't quite remember if they said that was permanent or not.

But they have done that before, at the start this is permanent then when the change back comes in, this was never supposed to be a permanent change. Aside from Ultimate Spider-man

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    It is basically Superior Spider-Man all over again. She will be the completely totally and positively permanent Thor from now on...at least for a year or 2 (if not less).

And like Inferior Spider-Man it is just so stupid.
    Marvel comics are really boring and repetitive the last years. There are all about marketing promotion and no stories at all, especially after Disney bought Marvel. They relaunch their titles continuously for boosting sales. They are killing off or replacing characters, only for return to the previous status a couple of years later. They did it with Spider-Man, now they are replacing Thor and Cap and killing Wolverine at the same time. Did actually death matter any more at the 616 Marvel Universe?

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    The best part about Superior Spider-man was statements when they were putting Parker back how they had planned it that way from the beginning it just came about a bit sooner than they wanted for unforeseen reasons.

I don't quite remember if they said that was permanent or not.

But they have done that before, at the start this is permanent then when the change back comes in, this was never supposed to be a permanent change. Aside from Ultimate Spider-man

Actually Slott did imply heavily that Superior Spider-Man was going to be permanent when #9 was released and Peter was deleted from Otto's mind, Slott laughed about how he had killed off Peter for good and how Otto was now the one true Spider-Man. And I do mean laughed, said something like "hahaha I killed him off, he is dead and gone" (extreme paraphrasing as that article doesn't seem to exist anymore). I remember it because I actually left a reply in which I got very hostile towards Dan Slott but now looking back and considering that Peter did indeed get his body back despite what Slott said...I don't think I was harsh enough
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Shouldn't there be an all-encompassing comic book storyline thread? Like there is for wrasslin'?
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Heroic Warrior
    The character has been introduced in the pages of Spawn pubblished by Image Comics, but after a long judicial debate between her creators, Marvel bought her rights and the character introduced last year in the main Marvel Universe.
    As I understand it, Marvel didn't buy her rights, but Neil Gaiman, who originally created Angela for Spawn and who ended up with the rights of the character (he also ended up with the rights to Cogliostro, if I'm not mistaken), gave the rights to Marvel. It had something to do with Marvel letting Gaiman finish his Marvelman run he started back in the 80s.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Actually Slott did imply heavily that Superior Spider-Man was going to be permanent when #9 was released and Peter was deleted from Otto's mind, Slott laughed about how he had killed off Peter for good and how Otto was now the one true Spider-Man. And I do mean laughed, said something like "hahaha I killed him off, he is dead and gone" (extreme paraphrasing as that article doesn't seem to exist anymore). I remember it because I actually left a reply in which I got very hostile towards Dan Slott but now looking back and considering that Peter did indeed get his body back despite what Slott said...I don't think I was harsh enough
    Slott was fully intending to keep Peter dead for another year or so and make Otto the hero of the upcoming Spider-Verse storyline, but Marvel were keen to cash in on Amazing Spider-Man II and mandated Peter come back earlier than scheduled. You can tell Slott has no idea what to do with Peter or his supporting cast at the moment from the way the last few issues of ASM have been, he's basicly coasting on his laurels until he gets to the next big event, and that does'nt kick off 'till October (where he's going to put fan favourite Spider-Girl through the ringer next...yawn)