Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Return of JEM- 2012

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Looks good but for that kind of dough, I'd only shell it out for the Misfits...maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8020/7457741934_c17b3f8784_b.jpg
    Yikes! That's an unfortunate place for the stand to go!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    I was super excited but then I noticed that they forgot her face paint on the one eye- really Hasbro, REALLY?

Plus, giving her a sex toy as an accessory is a bit edgy in the marketing department!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I was excited at the announcement and think the doll look fantastic!

But man, I just don't think I can swing $125. I've never even bought a Hot Toys figure, becuase as awesome as they look I just can't justify spending that much. I'm an action figure guy, not a collectible doll guy.

I'm still debating on if I'm going to swing for this. I'd love to have her. But man...that's going to really hurt the pocket book.

It's very cool for the Jem fans who are high-end doll collectors! I'm sure they are ecstatic!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Too expensive!!! This really sucks because I love Jem and would like to get this doll, but I can't afford it. Hopefully Hasbro has something in the works, although I fear Jem will look totally different if/when she is rebooted.

I must be in Heaven...that's what I thought until I saw the price. Then I realized I was in the other place...
    I'm also on DeviantArt
    My buddies and I review stuff 3 Points of Articulation
    3 Points official site 3PA
    Personal Gallery The Art of Mista Jonz

Heroic Warrior
    Now that the honeymoon phase is over...

Cons:
    -The face looks like a kind Pizzazz. She looks "older". VERY GORGEOUS face, but not Jem. Jem resembles Kelly Kelly from the WWE. Borrow that look.
    -The price. $125? That is somewhat expected from them but steep...especially as they seem like they can pull more numbers here than in their other lesser-known properties. Licensing fee?
    -The stand. Yeah...at least make the "clamp" clear.

Pros:
    -Show accurate!
    -12" is a good scale, and most representative of the vintage line. (A part of me wouldn't say no to 6" or 3.75" figures).
    -Solid variant choice! Great way to whet the appetite for the upcoming line. The other looks are more popular and necessary for the main line. Fans of the main looks won't miss this variant.
    -Gives 80's fans a chance to show Mattel how a girl's property revisited (outfit, rooted hair and all) can SELL. Show Mattel what She-Ra has the capacity to do. For me, that alone is worth the purchase.

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    I'm all over this!! I can't wait to get it! Hopefully the price will come down on the other figures. If not then I'll have to start selling a kidney, sperm, bone marrow, etc. to keep up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I was excited at the announcement and think the doll look fantastic!

But man, I just don't think I can swing $125. I've never even bought a Hot Toys figure, becuase as awesome as they look I just can't justify spending that much. I'm an action figure guy, not a collectible doll guy.

I'm still debating on if I'm going to swing for this. I'd love to have her. But man...that's going to really hurt the pocket book.

It's very cool for the Jem fans who are high-end doll collectors! I'm sure they are ecstatic!
    I'm a little surprised to hear that. Might be time to play in the big leagues with the big boys but once you get into Hot Toys you'll never get out. Does that mean you don't buy the high end action figures like Revoltech, Figma, Figuarts, Soul of Chogokin and the rest?

But that does seem to be the divider here on this thread; those who buy action figures and those who buy collectibles. Like you said for those of us who buy collectibles 125.00 for a high end Jem doll that is almost cartoon accurate isn't that bad. The only thing missing, as it was mentioned, is her face paint. But, not all Jem dolls had the face paint. The Glitter n Gold Jem doll, which was probably the best one made, didn't have face paint. I'm all in. She can do a duet with my Hot Toys Michael Jackson.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Fudge Supreme Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    This doll is truly outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous!

I have no plans to get one, but it is cool that they are making it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Yikes! That's an unfortunate place for the stand to go!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

It seems like she's pretty accurate from the look of Hollywood Jem in particular (versus regular Jem) face paint-wise. It'll be interesting to see what they do with it for the regular Jem. I'll wait to see the box, but I'll probably pass on this for the regular version... maybe. If the box is very cool I might get it and display it in the box, which I rarely do. But for a special item it could be neat. I hope they put as much effort into this packaging that Mattel puts into the Monster High packaging. That'd be cool.

Wow, that one really takes me back. I have a cousin who in the 80's had a few Jem dolls but mostly had Barbie dolls. I'd play with her sometimes and while she preferred her Barbies and the Michael Jackson doll I really liked the Jem dolls she had. They were bigger and seemed sturdier. The artwork that would be on the packaging and on the ads that came with the dolls were always beautiful, like works of contemporary art from the mid-80's. The packaging art, to me, always defined the 80's for how awesome the toys were back then. Hasbro, Mattel, Kenner and LJN wanted to grab the kids attention on the shelves with the best toy packaging in recent history. Jem was no exception.
    Until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    I'm a little surprised to hear that. Might be time to play in the big leagues with the big boys but once you get into Hot Toys you'll never get out. Does that mean you don't buy the high end action figures like Revoltech, Figma, Figuarts, Soul of Chogokin and the rest?

But that does seem to be the divider here on this thread; those who buy action figures and those who buy collectibles. Like you said for those of us who buy collectibles 125.00 for a high end Jem doll that is almost cartoon accurate isn't that bad. The only thing missing, as it was mentioned, is her face paint. But, not all Jem dolls had the face paint. The Glitter n Gold Jem doll, which was probably the best one made, didn't have face paint. I'm all in. She can do a duet with my Hot Toys Michael Jackson.
    I am used to buying anime items which can get into the hundreds and for my birthday I got into Hot Toys so this JEM is along those same lines for me.

At least with Hot Toys Sideshow Collectibles offers a payment plan (FLEX PAY)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

$125!?! She looks great, but not that great. Glad to see they didn't make her look too much like her toy back in the 80's. She was rough to look at. It was like her head was too big for her body.
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I am used to buying anime items which can get into the hundreds and for my birthday I got into Hot Toys so this JEM is along those same lines for me.

At least with Hot Toys Sideshow Collectibles offers a payment plan (FLEX PAY)
    You aren't lying there. Flex Pay has kept me safe and off of Ebay. With what they want for the next Ledger Joker the Flex will keep me and my wallet on talking terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    $125!?! She looks great, but not that great. Glad to see they didn't make her look too much like her toy back in the 80's. She was rough to look at. It was like her head was too big for her body.
    Yeah, the Jem dolls had really weird proportions; the heads were really big and the torsos were really thin, kinda like a puppet out of Team America World Police or Thunderbirds. Plus the rubber legs and arms made that a solid figure. You could kill a moose with a Jem doll.
    Last edited by Piccolo Daimaoh; June 29, 2012 at 02:33am.
    Until now.

I love her!
    But the price keeps me on the fence.

I was really expecting this toyline, thanks to MH I have broadened my toy collecting habits to include dolls and I was hoping to add some outrageous girls on my shelves, but her pricetag is too high (and I see that this, and even more, is the price range for high-end dolls)

Heroic Warrior
    Personely I liked the way she looked at the beggining of the series better with the pink eye make-up and the dark blue eyes. I wish they used that version instead of the hollywood incarnation.

They will. This is just the exclusive version for SDCC.

Do you guys want to know how awesome this doll is? I never watched Jem - I was vaguely aware of it's existence, but I have never seen a single episode in my life. But, pictures of this doll look so great that I looked for it on Netflix and watched two episodes last night. That show is a lot of fun, can't wait to watch some more. I wish I watched it when I was a kid.

Are they doing a new TV show now?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Do you guys want to know how awesome this doll is? I never watched Jem - I was vaguely aware of it's existence, but I have never seen a single episode in my life. But, pictures of this doll look so great that I looked for it on Netflix and watched two episodes last night. That show is a lot of fun, can't wait to watch some more. I wish I watched it when I was a kid.

Are they doing a new TV show now?
    I am amazed, though not surprised, at how well the writing is. I used to come home from church with my brother and we'd have to change it because there was always a cliffhanger, and one of the orphans had eye problems and needed surgery LOL. It was too much for someone who wanted to see Cobra Commander punched out instead.

I bought the series (I collect 80's toons on DVD) and it was VERY solid. I am buying her, heaven help me I can budget that in with the Avengers helicarrier somehow.

A friend explained to me how Jem came together. The care and the time and the marketing strategy is the stuff of toy legend. Everything came together. If only that excitement and creativity existed in modern toys instead of going back to the well. There are exceptions (Avatar) but not nearly enough of them exist today.

Heroic Warrior ShowerPowerFrosta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    I am amazed, though not surprised, at how well the writing is. I used to come home from church with my brother and we'd have to change it because there was always a cliffhanger, and one of the orphans had eye problems and needed surgery LOL. It was too much for someone who wanted to see Cobra Commander punched out instead.
    Ha ha ha!! Those orphans were more trouble than they were worth. One's scared of the dark. One needs surgery. One has a drug problem. One stole the keys to Jem's car. One can't read.

Actually, the episode about Roxy not being able to read was one of my favourites. Jem really was well written, and dealt with a lot of issues.

I am afraid that if they rebooted the show it wouldn't be as good. I think the whole 80's music made it so great, new stuff wouldn't be as good. Plus, the kids today would be disappointed with a nice, positive superstar. They would expect a spoiled, rude, "cool" pop star. Actually, kids today would probably mistake the Misfits for the stars of the show

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    They will. This is just the exclusive version for SDCC.
    I'm hoping they reveal more, cheaper, and different Jem stuff at SDCC. This Hollywood Jem is awesome and I'm honestly thinking about getting her even at that ridiculous price tag, but I'd love a more cartoon recognizable Jem. Basically, she needs more pink....I think?

Edit: What if Mattel did a She-Ra like this for that kinda money? Wonder what the general consensus of that would be.
    Last edited by Count Marzo; June 29, 2012 at 09:32pm.
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Im in awe of her, Ive collected Jem since 1989 and this is HUGE! To not only have her world coming back...But Coming back In its true Era of the 80's!

A lot of fans have feared Hasbro bringing her back to get in on the Bratz/My Scene/Monster High action...which would have meant outsize Heads and feet and 'Modern' Trashy outfits.

Everything about this new line bodes well, from the amazing fashion recreation to the superb hair and Face sculpt.

I have to admit that the 'Hollywood' jem fashion is NOT a favorite of mine, But it makes perfect sense as a 'Reveal' and one shot Variant.

But most of all.....What Truly excites me is her Body proportions and Face Sculpt......She finally looks like 'JEM' the woman on the side flap of the vintage box, Ive seen some people complaining (elsewhere on sites) that she looks EVIL and hard....without looking at the vintage art,the boxes,the Posters etc. Jem was always strikingly beautiful and STRONG. and here she is......Cant wait to see the other reveals at SDCC.

Heres a comparison between the Vintage Doll, Vintage box Art and Jem 2.0

My one BIG quibble is that straddle stand, they work awesomely on dolls with dresses, but look awful on dolls in pants....bad Choice there, lets hope the saddle is Clear on the final doll.
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; June 30, 2012 at 09:42pm.
    Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Staff of Ka - good point about the box art. I don't know much about the dolls because my experience all comes from the cartoon. Although I didn't think Jem looked evil (more just a tad more severe than I expected) the look does match that box art pic a lot. And I have to say, I grow to like it more and more the more I see it. I really hope their face sculpts vary quite a bit.

Don't care for the face, but LOVE the rest!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 3.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)