View Poll Results: would you like to see future motuc pop figures released with plastic or rooted hair?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • i would prefer sculpted plastic hair as they have been released to date

105 86.07%
  • i would prefer them to have a choice of 2 heads 1 with sculpted plastic hair & the other rooted

17 13.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should motuc pop figures come with rooted hair

customizer of greyskull nightwing.'s Avatar

should motuc pop figures come with rooted hair

im not sure if anyone has discussed this topic before but i thought i would post a poll on this thread just to see what peoples thoughts are.

basically i am really excited about the whole range of motuc figures & am really pleased to see that they have been releasing pop characters as part of the range.

my only problem is i really thought they may have given the option of having the pop girls with rooted hair.

i realise that they have given the she-ra figure sculpted plastic hair so as she fits in with the rest of the motuc line. i really love the figure & think they have done an amazing job with her but i just feel she is lacking that cretain nostalgic feel that the original 80's figures had.

i like that they brought her out with 2 heads (one with filmation style tiara & one with the classic figure style tiara) but i just thought it would have been nice if they had given the second head rooted hair as an option.

so i just thought i would post this thread to see what your views would be on future pop characters who are to be released in the motuc figure range & if you would prefer them just to come with the standard sculpted plastic hair or if we could have a second head which comes with rooted hair for the fans who have a nostalgic place in their hearts for the vintage rooted hair figures, & maybe with some luck some of the designers from mattel may even see our thoughts on this topic.

Heroic Warrior
    It's been questioned before, and my opinion is the same as ever.

I HATE rooted hair.

Mattel wants to get away from the 'PoP are dolls' philosophy that the originals had. Their entire mission statement is that all the toys now Vintage, PoP, and NA will look like they were all meant for the same line... that means Frosta gets to stand next to Teela without any differences.

Personally, I always thought the rooted hair was garbage back in the 80's. It was only good for about a week before it got matted and frizzy and basically looked horrible. Unless you were supposed to sit and comb their hair... which I never did... and never would do now.

So basically I want the PoP girls to blend in with MOTU. That means sculpted hair. Adora and She-ra look perfect the way they are

As for 2 or 3 extra heads... O.o

While I'm all for options... Rooted hair requires a lot more extra tooling dollars, that "I" will never get any use out of... I'd prefer that money spent on something cooler.

i like she-ra's hair the way it is. i don't think i would like rooted hair.

that said, i didn't think i would like grizzlor's fur...and i was wrong. it's pretty cool.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Rooted hair on anything less than a Barbie-sized figure always looks bad, and I'd love for someone to give an example where that's not true.

Rooted hair is ugly and stupid. I don't want to take care of it. I put my toys laying down in a drawer unit, and sometimes they get pushed around when I'm getting a particular figure. I'm already keeping Moss Man out 'cause I'm afraid of messing with his moss (though Grizzlor is a messy sucka, so I don't care about him) but any PoP females with rooted hair are gona get so messed up over time. Plus: I want accessories, and an extra head with rooted hair is just gona get in the way of that. I mean, that would mean an extra head for EVERY POP FEMALE. Too much, man.

Anyway, I've seen how my wife's My Little Ponies turn out if you just shove 'em somewhere for storage. I don't care for rooted hair.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I'd like to see a second head with rooted hair, even if only on occasion, but I've come to terms with the fact that it's not really feasible for the factory to do that right now.

I feel that She-Ra and Catra should get rooted second heads in their packaging as Moss Man got his flock and Grizzlor got his fur, thus making a true homage to the two key POP characters. I personally have no reasion for any of the other POP girls to have rootes hair, bar Entrapta as her hair was her weapon and we habe been discussing the possibility of real hair on an entrapta figure but wraped up tight with wire running through it so it's posable but not brushable or maybe posable plastic hair.

POP fans are perfectly entitled to hope that some of their figures get the rooted treatment, but on the ogher hand this shouldn't be forced on all MOTUC fans as many fans don't like it. By making a rooted additional head pack when we have between 8 - 10 POP figures released in the line woild be a great way for mattel to truly give these beloved characters a true homage without upsetting fans who can't deal with rooted hair. A head pack offered like this would be perfect. Its not forced on anyone but the fans who want the girls to get real locks get what they want and the fans who want plastic hair also win. I'm all up for it. If the plastic rrule can be broken for flock and fur why not one or two rooted heads.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher of Madness View Post
    Rooted hair on anything less than a Barbie-sized figure always looks bad, and I'd love for someone to give an example where that's not true.
    Spoken For truth!

As a veteran JEM and POP collector, I truly dont think that any Dolls head smaller than a Barbie is worth 'Rooting' it never looks good in a small scale!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Rooted hair is a pain the the backside. I dont want to have to sit there combing my fiigures hair to get knots out or washing it when it gets dusty.

NO.... Pleaaaase... No rooted hair. That's the last frontier among action figures and dolls, and rooted hair never goes well with this scale.

Besides, It'd give Mattel another excuse to raise the figure's prices, so... We're fine as things are, expensive as they already are.
    "Impossible is what we can't imagine"

Two heads please. Just use the one you prefer. I don't understand why anyone would not want to have a choice. If you don't like one head don't use it, you can put it away, and you don't even have to look at it.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I prefer plastic.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I would have to say "no" to rooted hair...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    Out of the options I selected plastic sculpted hair. My strong preference if for some type of head gear that totally limits hair altogether.

I like my women made of plastic. (Their hair, that is.)
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

definately a big N O to rooted hair, i like the nostalgic motu style theyre running just fine, no need to go nostalgic pop
    I dont need no instructions to know how to rock !!

Heh, winner. I also hate rooted hair.

It just never looks right. Or if it does, it's basically shellacked to stay in place, and once you mess it up by misfortune, it'll never go back the way it was supposed to.

Sorry roothair folks.

When they do MOTUC girls as barbies, which I believe they will do eventually if this line lasts at least as long as they think it will, you'll get your rooted hair.

Heroic Warrior
    I prefer plastic, but if you give me the option to take both, of course I'm taking all I can get...

I would worry about the dust collecting,frizzing, and shedding that would go along with rooted hair.
    I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.

Rooted hair only works for figures 1/6th scale or larger, smaller than that never really works well....those end up looking either like Bon Jovi groupies from the late 1980's, or the white trash ladies seen on cop shows.

So, leave rooted hair on 1/6th or larger scale figures, says I.

I think they should all be bald that way they can merge with V-Ger if it ever threatens Eternia. If not then plastic hair like it has been so far.
    The Portal to the Terrible Dimension of Despondos
    "Either a certified genius or an authentic whacko"

RATTLOR FOR MOTUC!

Expendable Vintage Cherry Picker

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    love the filmation look. id be embarrassed if they had rooted hair like a doll.

As they are without a doubt!

No rooted hair, please. That was the one thing that totally ruined 200X She-Ra for me.
    200X Power Sword, 200X Toon, 200X Continuity.... Yeah, it's all about 200X!!

I think all POP toys should have come with a second head with rooted hair. Even though I much prefer the Filmation designs to the POP vintage toy designs, I feel the rooted hair & toy designs hold an important place in MOTU/POP history. They were their own entity(a toyline for little girls) rather than just an attempt to "upgrade" the characters like the various redesigns the Four Horsemen have given us over the past 10 years.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!