Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spector- a liberty too far from Toyguru?

Spector- a liberty too far from Toyguru?

Just heard the news from Powercon/thundercon and I'm stunned at the revelation that the 1st create a character is from........Toyguru?

Wasn't this created for fans? Hasn't he already had his little nod with Lt. Spector in the Eternian guards. Starting to feel that he's taking his position as Brand Manager of Mattel a little too far with this plus with the creative input in the new mini-comics as writer.

On looking at the figure, the first thing I thought was Cyclops body Jim Lee style with a Deadpoolesque/ Venom head? Hardly original either.
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by vid.tracey View Post
    Just heard the news from Powercon/thundercon and I'm stunned at the revelation that the 1st create a character is from........Toyguru?

On looking at the figure, the first thing I thought was Cyclops body Jim Lee style with a Deadpoolesque/ Venom head? Hardly original either.
    Nope, 6 figures 1 first Create a Character in Photog, 1 by the Horsemen- Draego Man, 1 by Geoff Johns, 2 by Mattel (1 is Spector), and 1 for the new create a character.

Deadpool = Spector.
    Last edited by cbomb23; September 24, 2011 at 08:49pm.

I don't know... I KNEW it WAS going to happen, I just didn't expect it to be THAT crappy.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by vid.tracey View Post

Wasn't this created for fans? Hasn't he already had his little nod with Lt. Spector in the Eternian guards. Starting to feel that he's taking his position as Brand Manager of Mattel a little too far with this plus with the creative input in the new mini-comics as writer.

Only one figure is a create-a-character for the fans (unless you count Photog from twenty-five years ago.

Toyguru and Mattel did absolutely nothing wrong with designing this character in the sense that it was well within Matty's rights to have Scott design one of the two Matty-designed add-on figures that we knew were yet to be revealed.

I for one am glad that Toyguru got to design a figure. He has been instrumental in bringing Masters back to life, and he suffers so much grief for it. We can debate whether we like his design, but let's not say he is acting outside of what is "fair" by actually getting to design a toy. He put in the long hours preparing for this career; he interviewed and got a job at Mattel; he probably has to work on projects that are not his dream projects; he has put his job on the line in some ways for being such an advocate for Masters; he has to put up with fans who are jealous of his job; he has to endure accusations of malfeasance just because some people think he is out to get the fans; for goodness' sake, let's let him design a figure without grief!!!!!
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I think we should reserve judgement for now...

I've just seen a slightly better pic on the Matty forums - his design seems to be based on a pack of cards and I *think* he has a Cosmic Key motif somewhere on his arm or it could be a reflection in the display case

Guys please keep it civil, before anything gets out of hand. It is OK to critique the figure and its place in MOTU but please do not cross the line and start bashing its creator. Thanks!

Scott is actually walking around the Con and talking to people about the figure, so for what its worth I think his contribution is a genuinely fan oriented one.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I thought we knew that 1 was going to be Toyguru's design, I wouldn't be surprised if the other Mattel offering is his too. But this figure is plain awful. Every other figure in the line, even one's I don't like, I can find something redeeming about it. This figure is bland, boring, and looks like a 90's Marvel knock-off character.

There's a reason why there are separate departments for art design and business. One can be good at one and not good at another.

It looks like Toyguru only took a slot that required all re-used parts. Dislike the figure if you want, but he let the Horsemen go loose on theirs while being conservative with his own. I'll give him a lot of credit for that, and also for getting to see a dream come true. I can appreciate that even if the figure that came from it isn't really speaking to me. All I have are blurry photos too, I may see more to like when clearer ones show up. Why does the head look like a black version of what I thought Faceless One's head should have been? Maybe I can customize it!

Also, they tried to get other creators to design a character for free and they turned it down.

It's a pity they didn't open up the create-a-character contest a few years ago and then chose not one but four winners from it to fill out the year. I say that assuming I might like those designs more than the next three figures though. I may not.

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    I don't know... I KNEW it WAS going to happen, I just didn't expect it to be THAT crappy.
    I feel the same way.
    I might agree with the OP depending on the bio. If TG goes nuts on the bio & makes his character the be-all & end-all of the MOTU storyline then he's definitely gone mad with power.
    Until then, all he did was get his childhood design made. Who wouldn't have done the same thing if you were in his shoes?

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    The most legitimate grip is that it doesn't seem to look very MOTU at all. With that said, I'm with everyone else, let's wait until we see a better picture.

In the least, The Mighty Spector would be a good candidate to get rid of the head. Thankfully with this line, we can do that with armor, heads, and weapons. Since we're getting an extra Icarius head, might be a good time to put it to use.

Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    I feel the same way.
    I might agree with the OP depending on the bio. If TG goes nuts on the bio & makes his character the be-all & end-all of the MOTU storyline then he's definitely gone mad with power.
    Until then, all he did was get his childhood design made. Who wouldn't have done the same thing if you were in his shoes?
    Not to disagree, but I'd have had to burn mine because Draego-Man is basically a better version of it.

I understand why they let him make a figure, I just wish it wasn't the worst figure of the line.

I just saw a better picture of him, it didn't help. The logo on his chest is a black spade, and his eyes are red diamonds. I expect there will be a black club and red heart on his back or someplace.

Last edited by BadVermin; September 24, 2011 at 03:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    I feel the same way.
    I would... but he would've been an expendable character that gets killed off or something... AND he'd be an Etherian...

I only hope that Spector does not OutMary Sue Bella Swan...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I'm fine with it so long as they stop with the whole 'toy pop are dolls that don't fit in with MOTUC' nonsense.

Heroic Warrior
    After the reveal of Spector, my 1st thought was : OK, Mattel, PLEASE let the 4 Horsemen design the characters (or the fans). But I beg you to refrain from creating Mattel inhouse concept figures !

Still, I won't be too critic, because I need to see better pics of Spector first...

EDIT : just saw the bigger, clearer pic above... unfortunately, I must say it will be VERY difficult for me to buy this guy. He doesn't feel or look like he belongs in MOTUC. Mainly reused parts, except the head and accessories... This is not "Mighty Spector"... I think I'll call this one "Lame-o Cheapor".
    Last edited by Prahvus; September 24, 2011 at 03:17pm.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post
    I understand why they let him make a figure, I just wish it wasn't the worst figure of the line.

I just saw a better picture of him, it didn't help. The logo on his chest is a black spade, and his eyes are red diamonds. I expect there will be a black club and red heart on his back or someplace.

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/y...e/4d2df64c.jpg
    So apparently, playing cards are famous throughout the universe?

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    I must admit i dig the "Skywalker Gun"! Donīt like the spade.

Oh NEAT! I like 'em a lot better in that pic. The Comic Key wrist item is friggin' brilliant!

Seriously though: If I were in Toyguru's position, i'd TOTALLY get a toy made of one of my favorite old drawings I used to do when I was little. Wouldn't hesitate. Wouldn't even care if people were complaining. I doubt he cares either. I say: more power to 'em! It's not like he's giving you a complete toyline of Toyguru Classics here. Stop thinking of this as "OH MAN I HATE IT, WHY DOES HE HAVE TO MAKE THINGS?!" and think of it as a guy who is not only working the job he wants, but also gets to live a little dream most of us have always had.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Sorry, but this is a load of it! He should not have been allowed to be able to submit a figure to be created! I thought the point was to have Artists who were fans to create a new character! Saying that he created this character when he was a child? I call Shenanigans! He should not be allowed to have this Marvel reject character to be made! If he is allowed, I say let the most biggest fan here be allowed to create a new character also! There is 1 more spot open! I want a newly character created by Emiliano!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

It could be a fun figure. And since it's in the fan-created sub line then there's nothing wrong with it. Like it or Not TG is a fan too. I can't be upset with him for wanting to make one of the figures. I just wish now the Royal guard had a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    This figure is bland, boring, and looks like a 90's Marvel knock-off character.
    They call those: DC characters. I kid I kid!
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

For whatever my humble opinion counts, I'm really shocked that such a bad figure is going to be produced. I see sales of the 30th sub plummeting after people see this. Don't get me wrong, I really like Scott, but this is about the furthest thing I've ever seen from MOTUC design principles, and really, a very bland and uninspiring figure. Got to rework this thing immediately Mattel, or perhaps it's already too late, either way, this is a huge blow to the 30th sub in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure Scott said at Comic-Con that one of the 30th figures from Mattel was a design he came up with for the original create-a-character contest in the 80's so you shouldn't be surprised this was coming. As to the design of the character, there are probably better ones out there, but I'll reserve judgment until I see better pictures. If you don't like it then it might be better for you not to buy the 30th subscription at this point.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar

SShhhh... no one tell Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Mainly reused parts, except the head and accessories...
    The more I see of it, the more I think that's Faceless One's head (or one of the unused versions), so they may have saved money on sculpting that part new too.