Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Spector- a liberty too far from Toyguru?

Heroic Warrior
    I don't know. May still like him better than Fearless Photog. Are all the 30th anniversary figures going to have adjectives before their names?

Lycan
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    I love how something this awful can get made, but Illumina can't be cause no one knows of her.
    First thing that came to my mind when I saw that.. Kinda sad really
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

Snappy Threader
    Well I think he looks pretty awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    For those bashing this figure you are all more than welcome to submit your own create a character figure for the contest
    No, I am not.

For those bashing this figure you are all more than welcome to submit your own create a character figure for the contest to put your design where your mouth is.

You could also put yourself through school and work your way up at Mattel to make one of your childhood dreams come true.

My own personal opinion, but a lot of people here are simply too hard on Scott. He obviously wants to please as many fans as best he can, but he continually gets bashed.

I for one am proud of a guy who grew up with similar interests to main and was able to make a career of it, and earned the ability to create a permanent token of that journey and success.
    Also agree on this one. It sickens me how some people completely loose their manners about a toy!

You may say you dislike it but remember it's the tone that makes the sound.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

For those bashing this figure you are all more than welcome to submit your own create a character figure for the contest to put your design where your mouth is.

You could also put yourself through school and work your way up at Mattel to make one of your childhood dreams come true.

My own personal opinion, but a lot of people here are simply too hard on Scott. He obviously wants to please as many fans as best he can, but he continually gets bashed.

I for one am proud of a guy who grew up with similar interests to main and was able to make a career of it, and earned the ability to create a permanent token of that journey and success.
    Well said! and for those that don't agree think of it this way, your all going out of your way to upset the guy who single handedly relaunched MOTU and currently runs the line! do you really want to get him upset? it will make him less receptive to requests and anything else

also its 1 OPTIONAL* figure in a line thats a 1 off and very unlikely to ever be produced again

*buying a sub is optional

Heroic Warrior

The "trolling for Mattel" department is back into action. Tremble, mortals !

OK, I'll finish with this, then I go on with other threads : I personally think this Spector figure isn't worth the money I'd have to pay for it. If others like it and want to buy it, I have no problem with it whatsoever. But I feel the general lack of enthusiasm when Spector was revealed shows what the public really thinks...
    Last edited by Prahvus; September 24, 2011 at 07:32pm.

Quote Originally Posted by labrat1881 View Post
    I wonder how you haters feel if you won the create a character contest and the majority hates it..give Toyguru a break he deserves it.These are also bonus figures and not a part of the sub
    It shows a lack of good judgement to produce this figure. The fact it would be a polarizing figure should have been anticipated. The weak design further exacerbates the ill feelings resulting from the brand manager producing his own figure. The line has already seen a decline in subscription sales next year. Bad decisions such as this just continue to chip away at the health of the line. Instead of discussing how awesome Stinkor is, the discussion is centering around how terrible Spector is. This is truly a shame because this situation was easily foreseeable and totally avoidable.

Whilst i realised that 2 out of the 6 30th anniversary figures were being designed by Mattel, ................... I just never thought it would be this!

Now, before i truely begin, i have nothing but sheer gratitude and thanks to Scott for the work he did to resurrect the MOTU franchise and was glad he had the eternian guard modelled after himself as a little nod to his hard work and dedication.

However, when it was announced that the mini comics were returning but the writing of these new comics was being done by none other than Scott, i felt concerned. Now, he has one of his designs produced as a full figure and has mentioned on this thread to 'wait and see his bio'. I feel even more concerned now.

First, can i answer the people who have said that if i was Brand manager( ps didnt he get a promotion recently?) wouldnt i put my own designs into production? Well yes but i would realise the implications this may have. All mattycollector subscriptions have been suffering recently so to put more pressure on this added extra that isnt exactly setting the heather on fire, may have an effect on the main subscription. If Scott turned round and said that sales of the 30th anniversary subs will have an effect on next years monthly subscrition, a lot more people would be in my camp.
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

My sentiments exactly

I'm usually 100% supportive of MOTUC designs, but this is plain aweful. What kind of direction could they possibly have been going with this? I loved the Draego designs, but I feel like this character took 5 minutes to compose. Well thats just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    I feel the same way.
    I might agree with the OP depending on the bio. If TG goes nuts on the bio & makes his character the be-all & end-all of the MOTU storyline then he's definitely gone mad with power.
    Until then, all he did was get his childhood design made. Who wouldn't have done the same thing if you were in his shoes?
    We would all do it. And others have said, he really is/was instrumental in this whole line. I begrudge him nothing, and am just thankful that one of us got to the position of power.

That's what people forget. He is one of us. We "know" him so well now, we forget. One of us made good, and does everything he can to give back.

So far I like this character design. I hope his bio is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Gibbs View Post
    the guy who single handedly relaunched MOTU
    ... that's not really true now, is it ? How could he have relaunched anything without Eric Treadaway's (unsolicited) prototype ?
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Its ok to bash the figure but a lot here are getting too personal on Toyguru

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Sorry, but this is a load of it! He should not have been allowed to be able to submit a figure to be created! I thought the point was to have Artists who were fans to create a new character! Saying that he created this character when he was a child? I call Shenanigans! He should not be allowed to have this Marvel reject character to be made! If he is allowed, I say let the most biggest fan here be allowed to create a new character also! There is 1 more spot open! I want a newly character created by Emiliano!
    Frankly he is the number one fan. He geared his whole career tword the toyline he loved in his childhood. And he made it. Hard work, determination, and focus. He is the fan who wanted to work in the line he loved so much he got there.

Besides, jealous much? At any rate, it's ok. I think it's a little bland, but then again it has some neat things that are new designs. That harness is cool. Sure I dont care for the spade, but then I dont know anything about him.

It's new. But that's all. Bring on the bio.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    ... that's not really true now, is it ? How could he have relaunched anything without Eric Treadaway's (unsolicited) prototype ?
    well no its not at all but if i'd said Scott and Eric, then i'd still not be true as lots of people were involved, so i could have had a huge post, or shortened it and twisted it slightly (a little white lie/half truth if you will) to help illustrate my point

basically you don't bite the hand that feeds you,
    were going beyond constructive criticism here and when Scott's online reading this i feel real guilty thinking about how he must feel

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    spector look like a dc character & even has the name of one too.
    his overall look lacks imagination & doesnt resemble motu.
    love new figures but was not expecting that.
    hope that is not all to his look.
    disappointed... & wondering why??

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I want to see more and better pictures of Mighty Spector.

It's REALLY too bad that MOTUC and DCUC aren't the same size (or that the DC figures in the two packs weren't made out of MOTUC bucks). He would really fit in, if that were the case.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    The eyes are not intended to be diamonds. But yes the chest logo is a spade. When I was a kid I just really liked Spades and always used this as Spector's logo. He has always been a time traveling spy, Terry added the cosmic key wrist device to help fit Spector into the MOTU world. You will learn much more in his bio! On package he will be the "Heroic Master of Time Travel".
    Nifty idea, TG! Congratulations on a fun new character. So is he a bad guy?
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Heroic Warrior
    I don't think the figure is going too far. He's the brand manager and there are certain perks to certain jobs, and he gets his childhood creation put into one of his favorite toylines. Jealous much? Anybody? The figure does not appeal to me and I intend to skip it but it's nothing he should be getting this type of feedback over. Don't choke on your HATERADE people.
    Good trades with: Cammor

What I find funny is the number of people trashing Spector as a rip-off or clone of Deadpool - a character who himself is just a derivative of Spiderman.

Pretty much all superheroes borrow from of the ones who came before them. There are very, very few truly original designs. You don't have to like the figure, but to me this particular critique holds no water.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post

If I wanted a DCUC character I'd go collect that line.

I hope Marvel files for copyright infringement on this unholy creation.
    WHICH IS IT?@?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Spector is okay. I like that he's a time traveller.

Yet again with another classic offering I dislike. STINKOR is a HUGE fan favorite but he registers near the bottom of all figures I'd want. Snout Spout, Photog.... now Stinkor. The offerings between now and next May are both bitter and sweet to me!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Spector is okay. I like that he's a time traveller.

Yet again with another classic offering I dislike. STINKOR is a HUGE fan favorite but he registers near the bottom of all figures I'd want. Snout Spout, Photog.... now Stinkor. The offerings between now and next May are both bitter and sweet to me!
    If Spector's real name was Josh, would that help?
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Gibbs View Post
    basically you don't bite the hand that feeds you,
    were going beyond constructive criticism here and when Scott's online reading this i feel real guilty thinking about how he must feel
    Fair enough, but you also don't eat what you don't like. Scott should worry about the health of the line, logistics, budget, whatever ... but he has no business interfering with the creative direction, that's not his field and he clearly has not what it takes. Let the proper artists take care of the design, you will have magnificent figures and everyone will buy them. Now the line is just losing potential customers.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader