Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Spector- a liberty too far from Toyguru?

Hey,

Toyguru's got it like that at this point in time, and good for him. I hate on him every now and again for having a figure in his likeness but that's just jealousy on my part.

Besides, now there's a figure that it could be argued bumps Molar up one in rankings, and whoever thought that would happen?
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Heroic Warrior
    Weird. Why are we getting Deadpool in MOTUC?

Surely a MOTUC version of Superman or Batman would have sold better than Deadpool? Actually, I probably would have purchased a MOTUC version of Superman or Batman.

After already being honoured as a Palace Guard, I do find it strange that Toyguru was permitted to "design" a 30th Anniversary figure and that such an underwhelming and out-of-place design was permitted to be produced as a MOTUC action figure.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliusMarx View Post
    I wish I had a ton of money ... I would fund a tour and send Scott/ToyGuru all around the world and I send him to work with each of the *****y haters so he could nit pick their jobs all day long.

This is a rags to riches story of a 10 year old kid who submitted a design 30 years ago and then grew up to be the brand manager of the toys he loved. If you can,t appreciate that then you need to give up collecting toys and be the grumpy old guy in your neighborhood.

Have a heart and stop being so damn selfish.
    Maybe Toyguru will guest star on Mario Lopez' new show "H8ter" where the celebrity meets their biggest hater and tries to get them to like them!

I personally have no problem with TG putting his design in MOTUC...I'm just not very excited about that character. I do like the Cosmic Key wrist band and the spade (goes with Bow's heart). He doesn't feel very MOTU to me though. I hope I warm up to him.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I've always viewed the MOTU as a place where anything can happen.
    We have guys with cannons for arms, slugmen, green tigers, guys with radar dishes in the chests and a lot or people running around in fury underwear.

If anything my only complaint is Spector is too plain.
    They need to ramp up the playing card motif. Give him a spade sword or a diamond shield.
    I've got the 30th sub so I will be buying him, probably would have bought him anyway

As for the idea that ToyGurur has stepped over some kind of line, no I don't think so. we knew 2 of the 30th line would be character designed Mattel. So why not have the Brand Manager design one?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    If Spector was an awesome figure, would this thread even exist?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think a better question is: If Spector was an awesome figure, would we be acting any differently?
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Well in this time continuity he is not. It only rubs salt in the wound that this guy gets a new knife but Draego man has missing accessories.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I'm sorry, but this entire thread is in very poor taste, is rude, disrespectful and completely unnecessary.
    I can`t agree with that...

If the figure would be for free, okay, but I`m not willing to give my money away for a plain, crappy looking figure, if it could be something more amazing like Draego Man.

Besides, Im not caring, if it`s his greatest dream, he is the brand manager for this line, it is his job to present this line as good as he can and he gets paid for it.

I`m thinking it would be much better, if he had take a step aside and being not that egoistic to push his fan character into this line, except the design is blowing most minds away.

When he wants money for that, the fun is over...
    Last edited by Berserker79; September 24, 2011 at 10:19pm.

Likely not

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    I think a better question is: If Spector was an awesome figure, would we be acting any differently?
    Strange given my first answer, but also likely not
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Heroic Warrior
    Wasn't TG's likeness on the guard something done by the 4H as a surprise that TG didn't know was coming initially? I seem to recall hearing/ reading that somewhere... If that is correct, then you can't really count that as him having direct creative control over it happening.

As for him writing the minicomics, does anybody think he's getting paid extra to do so? He's probably doing it as part of his day job or as a freebie on the side, thereby reducing the cost associated in making them, which probably helped in finding the production budget to make these 3 for us. And he's following the outline set forth back when the originals were planned, with tweaks based on current canon from the bios. Say what you will about the dialog, the rest was mostly laid out before he had anything to do with it.

He-ro as the SDCC exclusive was a bad thing? I love the character, and I thought it was pretty cool to get a never-before-produced figure as an exclusive. Oh, and I don't know if you can call scheduling a figure "creative direction"... That's a production decision, not a creative one.

So, that leaves us with Spector. TG's first true major creative input and mark on the line. And given where the line was headed when he created this concept as a child, except perhaps for the harness, there's nothing too out of the ordinary here when compared to latter day MOTU or NA characters. His getting to put this figure in the line is not really any different from Geoff Johns getting to use ideas he came up with as a DC fan when he became a writer with the company. And just like Geoff's writing, not everyone is going to like the idea(s) he presents, but they come from someone who grew up a fan and is living the dream of playing with those toys in a grown-up way (please don't twist that into something tawdry).

Anyway, folks, if you really aren't happy with the figure, look at the bright side... He's a 30th Anniversary figure, so he's not taking up one of the precious monthly figure slots. He's taking up an extra slot that wouldn't have had any figure/character you already know and love.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    It's hard to say. I think Draego-Man is 10000% awesome...but some people hate him like poison. *shrugs* I think he fits in so well with the line, great colours, great concept/design...but others think he's a wasted space and "stupid" because he's a "human dragon" in a line with real dragons coming.

You can't win them all.

At least Toyguru's character design hasn't been ragged on for about 30 years. Think of poor Nathan Bitner!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Heroic Warrior
    No, if he would , I would have bought 2 subs.

That wasn`t the best PR for the 30th sub...

The hate for this figure and its creator is really a bit much in my opinion. He's not the most amazing character, but neither are several, more established characters in the line. Once I was able to see a better picture of Spector, I definitely warmed up to him more. He's obviously not going to be the darling of the line, but people are really overreacting.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    The hate for this figure and its creator is really a bit much in my opinion. He's not the most amazing character, but neither are several, more established characters in the line. Once I was able to see a better picture of Spector, I definitely warmed up to him more. He's obviously not going to be the darling of the line, but people are really overreacting.
    hay he's better then BG Evil-Lyn! LOL

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Alright, correct me if I'm wrong but: Wasn't Draego-Man going over budget for a single figure with all his accessories? If that is so, then how - HOW - could you possibly get his shield back by not making Spector or any of his accessories? Draego is over budget. That's the end of the story. You can't put all those accessories in without going over 20 bucks (or whatever it's being raised to). They already went over how they can't make him a special higher priced guy. Why are folks still saying that cutting things elsewhere could get Draego back his shield?
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    It's hard to say. I think Draego-Man is 10000% awesome...but some people hate him like poison. *shrugs* I think he fits in so well with the line, great colours, great concept/design...but others think he's a wasted space and "stupid" because he's a "human dragon" in a line with real dragons coming.

You can't win them all.

At least Toyguru's character design hasn't been ragged on for about 30 years. Think of poor Nathan Bitner!
    Well, I'll never understand that dragon logic, since we already have Carnivus existing alongside Battle Cat, Panthor, etc.

I mean, Disney's been doing it with Goofy and Pluto forever.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    The eyes are not intended to be diamonds. But yes the chest logo is a spade. When I was a kid I just really liked Spades and always used this as Spector's logo. He has always been a time traveling spy, Terry added the cosmic key wrist device to help fit Spector into the MOTU world. You will learn much more in his bio! On package he will be the "Heroic Master of Time Travel".
    i think he looks cool, but a playing card motif would bug me.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Ok, did any of you guys commenting about this figure ripping off Deadpool read the previous posts? Deadpool didn't debut in Marvel Comics until 1991. Spector was submitted by Scott in the original create-a-character contest in the 80's. Let's please stop with the ripoff comments.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    The eyes are not intended to be diamonds. But yes the chest logo is a spade. When I was a kid I just really liked Spades and always used this as Spector's logo. He has always been a time traveling spy, Terry added the cosmic key wrist device to help fit Spector into the MOTU world. You will learn much more in his bio! On package he will be the "Heroic Master of Time Travel".
    Clubs > Spades.

Well that was my lucky suit of choice at least.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Hmmm.... interesting figures. I think the only thing I'm not crazy about on Spector is the colour of his harness. IMO if it was black and the spade was either red or green I think it would be better but nothing wrong with figure. Jazzed about the Griffon...need to decide if I want to go for 1 or a trio.

Is the temple of Darkness in some other media than the MOTUC bios? Just trying to figure out where this Sorceress would fit in?
    Last edited by RavenousPuma; September 24, 2011 at 11:45pm. Reason: Because I can.
    All caught up on figures...now what

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousPuma View Post
    Is the temple of Darkness in some other media than the MOTUC bios? Just trying to figure out where this Sorceress would fit in?
    "The Obelisk" mini-comic:

Heroic Warrior
    Edit: Never mind. I was too slow... Weird that they named it after Temple of Darkness, when the figure is of the Sorceress in The Obelisk.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousPuma View Post
    It's only in the mini comic, Temple of Darkness.

http://www.he-man.org/publishing/item.php?id=2683
    Last edited by joe-or; September 24, 2011 at 11:56pm.
    ne jabba no badda!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliusMarx View Post
    Have a heart and stop being so damn selfish.
    You got the selfish part right, it's just directed at the wrong person.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I'm sorry, but this entire thread is in very poor taste, is rude, disrespectful and completely unnecessary.
    Why should this be protected from opinion? If you watch a TV show and it's crap do you not say so? Someone created that too.

Exactly! The fact is that this figure is not up to scratch. It wasn't good enough 20 years ago and it's not good enough now. If we were told that the 4HM designed this everyone would be confused. If Scott has come up with Draego Man then he would get praise for being so talented because Draego Man is awesome.

Is the other "Mattel designer" another one of Scott's creations?

I think that people are forgetting that this is a product - one that needs to sell. The best comment I've seen is people defending Scott's right to design a character because he "brought back masters" (???). I don't recall reading anyone say that actually like the figure.
    Last edited by He-Boy; September 24, 2011 at 11:58pm.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coptur View Post
    I don't know why people think they can be out right rude to the creator, it's becoming unpleasant to come on the forum with opinions of a vile nature. yes i'm all for expressing your own opinions but the nature of them is becoming tiresome.
    amen brother......sadly its been like this for months! Its depressing coming here!

Too many Trolls! not enough Bridges!

Some of the most cheerful, freindly, positive and inclusive members are beaten down by the Raptors.

I dont like this Figure, but its no worse than the Camera thing, and so many like that! I see no difference between them!

It has convinced me to not get a '30th' sub, as I think two strikes your out! especially in a small set of just six!.

ka

Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post

I think that people are forgetting that this is a product - one that needs to sell. The best comment I've seen is people defending Scott's right to design a character because he "brought back masters" (???). I don't recall reading anyone say that actually like the figure.
    I totally agree with this.

Even Hitchcock used to cameo in his films......and TG has done that in a subtle way (Guards).

This is too far-IMO.
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; September 25, 2011 at 12:03am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

You know I think it's hilarious that people are bashing Toyguru for getting a figure he designed made, yet probably most of those people bashing him would jump at the chance to have a character they designed made if Mattel asked them.

While I'm not a huge fan of the new character (yet, it could change) I think it's cool they let Toyguru put his character in the anniversary line.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.