Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spector- a liberty too far from Toyguru?

Wasn't Deadpool introduced in Marvel Comics in 1991? The original create-a-character contest was before that so this design from Toy Guru was actually pre-Deadpool but who knows if it's been altered since his original drawing/concept.

He is part of the -Men.

Heroic Warrior
    Compare Draego Man and this piece of plastic...

Do I have to say more?

Epic fail...

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanSD View Post
    SShhhh... no one tell Marvel.
    Does anyone have Marvel's corporate number?

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Wasn't Deadpool introduced in Marvel Comics in 1991? The original create-a-character contest was before that so this design from Toy Guru was actually pre-Deadpool but who knows if it's been altered since his original drawing/concept.
    That, and it's a pretty standard harness. You draw a lot when you're young and you're BOUND to make something that someone else has made.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Chewer of Trollans
    Well, I often feel Toyguru has kept things going in the line. This character (as a time-traveler) feels a significant gap that might allow all of our characters to play together. Not crazy about the playing card references...

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Just for the record, The Mighty Spector was created (visually) in the early 80's. I had a feeling when people saw him they would think Venom or Deadpool (or even Grendal) but in my mind those characters ripped off The Mighty Spector! He came first, just has not appeared till now! :-)

Also, he has a knife accessory that Eric has not finished yet. :-)

Heroic Painting Warrior GLJossan's Avatar
    Behind Sorceress' shower curtain with a camera... Better known as NJ.
    The one thing that caught my eye that made me say okay I'll buy this figure is the cosmic Key wrist band, that and he'd make awesome custom fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by tenno View Post
    Not crazy about the playing card references...
    Yeah, I don't know what those have to do with time. Cartomancy reference maybe? I think spades had to do with being widowed. Maybe Spector's wife was killed somehow and he's an avenger like the Crow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Oh NEAT! I like 'em a lot better in that pic. The Comic Key wrist item is friggin' brilliant!

Seriously though: If I were in Toyguru's position, i'd TOTALLY get a toy made of one of my favorite old drawings I used to do when I was little. Wouldn't hesitate. Wouldn't even care if people were complaining. I doubt he cares either. I say: more power to 'em! It's not like he's giving you a complete toyline of Toyguru Classics here. Stop thinking of this as "OH MAN I HATE IT, WHY DOES HE HAVE TO MAKE THINGS?!" and think of it as a guy who is not only working the job he wants, but also gets to live a little dream most of us have always had.
    I'm on the same page here.

I can see not liking him, but I personally dig MOTU for a being a mix of so much crazy stuff.

I'm kind of liking the idea of a sci-fi bounty hunter looking guy. The card suits almost made me think he was supposed to be Bow's new secret identity, which would be cool or terrible depending on who you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Just for the record, The Mighty Spector was created (visually) in the early 80's. I had a feeling when people saw him they would think Venom or Deadpool (or even Grendal) but in my mind those characters ripped off The Mighty Spector! He came first, just has not appeared till now! :-)

Yeah, no one is able to admit that, though. This complain-fest is going to go on forever...

Anyway, congrats on getting a childhood creation as a figure! Friggin' LOVE the Comic Key wristband idea.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    The more I see of it, the more I think that's Faceless One's head (or one of the unused versions), so they may have saved money on sculpting that part new too.
    OMG, you're probably right, gbakok !

Really, I think this is one of the most uncool MOTUC figures... with the notable exception of Mo-Larr, who's even plainer and who's a non-MOTU figure.

Heroic Warrior
    Well I reserved judgement until I saw a better pic and now that I have, I have to say Yeah this character looks just plain awful and doesn't belong in MOTUC. I can't believe they would allow this fig, but not the "Hyper Anime Detail" of the 200X figs.

IMHO this is definitely the worst figure so far.

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    The eyes are not intended to be diamonds. But yes the chest logo is a spade. When I was a kid I just really liked Spades and always used this as Spector's logo. He has always been a time traveling spy, Terry added the cosmic key wrist device to help fit Spector into the MOTU world. You will learn much more in his bio! On package he will be the "Heroic Master of Time Travel".

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    The more I see of it, the more I think that's Faceless One's head (or one of the unused versions), so they may have saved money on sculpting that part new too.
    You might be right. I really start to like him! I think TG did a very very good job on reusing parts. Happy to get him.

Still with so many reused parts I don't understand the cut down on Draego-Man's accessoiries! Hope they all come in 2012 afterwards. The shield should have stayed before all the rest!

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Still not digging it, but I think the larger picture makes the figure look a lot better............ until I see that darn spade on his chest.

If I buy this figure (and that's a big if), that spade will be painted over as soon as it's out of the package.

The eyes are not intended to be diamonds. But yes the chest logo is a spade. When I was a kid I just really liked Spades and always used this as Spector's logo. He has always been a time traveling spy, Terry added the cosmic key wrist device to help fit Spector into the MOTU world. You will learn much more in his bio! On package he will be the "Heroic Master of Time Travel".
    I like it, you've done well TG. Please ensure to bring all of Draego's accessoiries later on and please produce enough TOD Sorceresses to sell on matty. I would like to have it!

It doesn't bother me that he created a figure, what bothers me is how much of a marvel super hero it looks like! C'mon, is there ANY surprise here that he was designing a figure? in the contest they originally stated 2 figures were coming from mattel, 1 from design, 1 from marketing

"30th Anniversary Figures Series
    We've got an unbelievable line of figures planned completely separate from the 2012 MOTUC line that includes Fearless Photog, the winning design from the very first Create a Character Contest back in 1982! We've even tracked down Nathan Bittner, who was just 13 years-old when he submitted his concept and won the original contest. We'll be interviewing Nathan and his Fearless Photog* figure will be released in January 2012, followed by DragoMan* by the Four Horsemen (March 2012) plus (not necessarily in this order), one figure by Geoff Johns (DC Comics, Green Lantern, Infinite Crisis, Flashpoint), one from Mattel Design and one from Mattel Marketing. The sixth and final figure is planned to be the winning character from this year's Create A Character Contest and would be released in November 2012. All six figures will be new characters introduced for the first time into the Masters world. They'll be $20 each and available every other month here on MattyCollector.com. (Please note, these figures are not part of the 2012 Club EterniaŽ subscription.) "

that was ON THEIR WEBSITE! this isn't, nor should it be an outrage or surprise to anyone. again, I AM upset with the lack of originality, but more power to em
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

I like it, you've done well TG. Please ensure to bring all of Draego's accessoiries later on and please produce enough TOD Sorceresses to sell on matty. I would like to have it!

It looks like deadpool

deadpool is one of my favorite comic book characters

Love the spades

love the gun

whats not to like? great job!

Might get the anniversary sub now, might get the full sub now ( i need those cherry picker prices!)

Well then thank you Terry; that's a fantastic idea! And yeah, I hear you on the symbol; I was obsessed with different symbols back when I was a kid, and looking at old drawings you can see which ones I liked over the years. When my brother taught me to draw this diamond "S" I started putting it on a lot of characters that could use an "S!"

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    He's heroic? Dang. I made a joke about him and Bow joining a travelling gang, but I thought he might make an interesting foe for Bow!

I like the unintentional diamond eyes. I didn't notice that until it was mentioned here. Also, yes, thank you Terry! That wrist-key thing is really cool.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Well Scott, I for one love him, and you definitely deserve to have your figure made after all the great figures you've given us.

Thank you!
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

I was holding out on my decision to buy the 30th anniversary sub until I saw the 3rd figure. Now that I've seen it, the decision is easy: I won't get the sub! It's one of the 1st figures I absolutely dislike. It's so boring. there's a reason I don't collect DC Universe: I think they look very plain,ugly, boring... this figure just breathes DC!

I also think there should be limits to the creative liberty of it's creator... Let creative designers design the figures, let people who studied marketing manage the line.