Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spector- a liberty too far from Toyguru?

Heroic Warrior
    There is nothing on this figure that reminds me of anything MOTU...

I can`t believe that Mattel wants money for that...

I won`t buy the sub because of this figure...

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    I think this figure is gonna hurt the 30th anniversary sub like the Star sisters did on the normal one. Seriously why would you want this figure? I thought one of the rules of thought was to make a figure that looks and feels like a MOTU figure. This guy looks like he belongs in a cheap knock-off comic not MOTU. Wow I can't even find the words to it just boggles my mind at how awful that figure is.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Just for the record, The Mighty Spector was created (visually) in the early 80's. I had a feeling when people saw him they would think Venom or Deadpool (or even Grendal) but in my mind those characters ripped off The Mighty Spector! He came first, just has not appeared till now! :-)

Also, he has a knife accessory that Eric has not finished yet. :-)
    Sorry Scott, but tell Eric to stop making the knife! You the tooling cost to give Graego-Man his shield. Besides, I do not want Skeletor and Evil-Lyn's son!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

If we display him with Bow and Shadow Beast we get a MOTUC royal flush gang!

Spector has spade and diamond
    Bow has hearts
    Shadow beast has a huge Club

I'm actually loving him the more i see of him

Hmmm... This guy doesn't look MOTU at all to me.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

If I was Toyguru I'd want to get my design in there too. Can't say I blame him.

We can make our own decisions on whether or not we want the subscription/figure. If you like it, buy it. If not, don't. If you get it in the sub and don't want it, sell it off.

I'm not sure about the figure myself, but I want to see a better picture of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Besides, I do not want Skeletor and Evil-Lyn's son!
    What does Skeletor's son have to do with Spector? Do you think he's the same guy? And I'd want Skeletor's son as a figure unless he's a really awful looking figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    The eyes are not intended to be diamonds. But yes the chest logo is a spade. When I was a kid I just really liked Spades and always used this as Spector's logo. He has always been a time traveling spy, Terry added the cosmic key wrist device to help fit Spector into the MOTU world. You will learn much more in his bio! On package he will be the "Heroic Master of Time Travel".
    Interesting. Considering how NA isn't (apparently) in the future anymore, I'm curious about how this all fits together and what part Gwildor plays since he's been the big time travel cosmic key holder.
    Last edited by gbagok; September 24, 2011 at 05:04pm.

Griifin 2012 Club Eternia Beast for April

Stinkor Club Eternia April 2012

Slushhead Club Eternia May 2012

The Mighty Specter MOTU 30th Anniversary May 2012

Temple Of Darkness Sorceress With Grayskull Orb Stand ( Available at all Regional Conventions in 2012 except SDCC)
    (Remaining Stock sold on MattyCollector in December 2012)

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Here at Power-Con / lunch break so I thought I'd check in. IMO the figure is incredible. Looks great in person and totally in the spirit of what the 30th creations are all about. In the booth I think he blends in really nice. Can't wait to read the bio!

Jeffrey really likes him to - actually he is one of his favorites, next to DeMo man, so hey, to each their own!

Heroic Warrior
    I Think the problem is the cyclops armor! re-do that piece and we should be fine! and give that freak 200x skeletor swords!!!!

I don't know why people think they can be out right rude to the creator, it's becoming unpleasant to come on the forum with opinions of a vile nature. yes i'm all for expressing your own opinions but the nature of them is becoming tiresome.

I actually embrace this new addition to the MOTU-Universe and hope to see more like it.

ps Toyguru I have a great idea for a new snakeman and i'm happy to give it to Mattel

Yeah...crap. That Sorceress repaint has grown on me already. I was trying not to like it in case it becomes hard to get. Dang, those wings will look cool on a lighted base...
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    What does Skeletor's son have to do with Spector? Do you think he's the same guy? And I'd want Skeletor's son as a figure unless he's a really awful looking figure.

1, This character was said to come from the future. Secondly, he is wearing purple. Third, he has a small Cosmic Key on his wrist! Last we heard it went to the future with Evil-Lyn. Who left to be with her son! Son comes from the future and surprised he is a good guy!

Quote Originally Posted by LANTERN-RO View Post
    I Think the problem is the cyclops armor! re-do that piece and we should be fine! and give that freak 200x skeletor swords!!!!
    Better yet, can the figure and put the cost towards what people want, Draego-Man's extra weapons!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Griifin 2012 Club Eternia Beast for April

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...2012Grffin.jpg
    Is anyone else excited by how much this recalls the Triton winged bull from the Blackstar toy line?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Well Scott, I for one love him, and you definitely deserve to have your figure made after all the great figures you've given us.

Thank you!
    I've got to agree. MOTUC will turn 4 years old in a few months. The 4H definitely deserve a figure and so does Scott for his leadership of the line. Make no mistake, I have issues from time to time about some of his decisions, but under his reign, the fans will see MOTUC will be entering it's 4th year this November. While I'm not too crazy about the character itself, he deserves it.

Besides, if you guys were the MOTUC brand manager, wouldn't you put your own characters/ideas into the mythos OR change things to fit your idea of what MOTU should be?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I have to say, 2012 is really bringing it in spades (sorry for the pun)...

I love all of the 30th anniversary figures so far, and Stinkor looks great... Never had Slushhead, but he looks really cool. That Sorceress is worth fighting for in December next year, and the griffin is fantastic (I love griffins, so this is a fantastic surprise). I assume Beast Man should ride him... And are those Snake Mountain stands off to the side in one of the pics? Holy crap!!

2012 is showing why this line is totally worth collecting!

Heroic Warrior
    I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to add their guy to the line. My personal opinion is that the figure was designed poorly and I’d never consider buying it. That's okay because I have Stinkor to look forward to.

Many of you are comparing Spector to Deadpool. I see his design as a lot more of a Baron Zemo clone.

Last edited by Granamyr; September 24, 2011 at 05:54pm.

Lycan
    sorry, I don't like it. Doesn't look like a MOTU character at all to me.
    I hope Draego wasn't the best the 30th anniversary is going to have to offer.
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Is anyone else excited by how much this recalls the Triton winged bull from the Blackstar toy line?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...rtritonb1c.jpg
    OMG, THANK you! I've had that wing and saddle since I was about 4 but never knew what the hell it went to! We never even HAD that creature, so I don't know how I ended up with them! lol

He really does look like that. I'm really getting excited for the Griffen!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    I'm not totally sold on him yet... seems a bit too monochromatic to me, though I like the Cosmic Key wristguard. Maybe if the colors were jazzed up a bit I would warm up to him more... 50/50 for me. He does kinda look like a Liefield scrapbook drawing (he needs tiny feet that disappear off the panel!), but I think I agree with the majority: he doesn't look enough like a MOTU character.
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

I think the total silence and lack of applause in the room when The Mighty Spector was revealed during the panel says it all...

Temple of Darkness Sorceress looks great! i was just wondering if we would get a "Spirit of the Sorceress" figure - and there she is! for me her spirit will stay in Grayskull after her death and help/teach Teela.

The Mighty Spector - boring, generic, unoriginal, and worst of all: no MOTU feeling at all! what a waste of "logistics"... i already regret i got the 30's anniversary sub.

An all-around terrible design that reminds me of something you'd find in a cheap off-brand 90's comic book. The left hand shows some interesting tooling, but that's sadly all we can get from this design. Master of time travel? Looks like a second-rate thug. Certainly not a master of anything. The color scheme is too flat. The gun holster is too big. Pretty odd using a futuristic-ish design but then giving him a He-Man wrist. Was there any critiquing that went into this? I doubt it. What production and tooling that could have gone into a great new figure was once again wasted.
    I'd like to know why someone thought it would be a good idea to create new characters for the 30th anniversary celebration instead of making use of Mattel's Filmation rights and releasing characters we've grown up with and loved for 30 years!

"Also, he has a knife accessory..."
    *facepalm*
    Last edited by AdultCollector; September 24, 2011 at 06:58pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, Toyguru has the right to bring his figure/character in the line. Which he DID once before with Lt. Spector, by the way...

Now, if Mighty Spector is the son of Skeletor, then it means he is NOT a powered-up Lt. Spector.

Hence the question : why 2 figures with the same name (Spector) ? This sounds really unimaginative, and even confusing...

I don't think I'll buy cheapor... oops, sorry - Mighty Spector. I'm all for novelty in the line and for new characters, as long as they're not just repaints with a few accessories. Unfortunately, that's what Mighty Spector is : a repaint with just a few new accessories (harness, leg holster, weapons). Feels like a ripoff to me, especially at that kind of price... I see more and more repaints coming, lately : BG Evil Lyn (agreed, she has at least a new head and a cape), TOD Sorceress, Mighty Spector.

It has to be noted that at first, Mattel was very careful with variants and repaints... Now, it seems Mattel has taken the road to "variants and repaints galore", once again. They try to be subtle about it, but hey, we adults will usually notice this kind of reuse.

I wonder if the second Mattel inhouse character for the 30th anniversary will be as plain and uninspired, and will reuse parts so heavily as Mighty Spector...
    Last edited by Prahvus; September 24, 2011 at 05:55pm.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Okay I will say I don't really care for this guy but I will NEVER say he -or anyone- "doesn't feel like a MOTU character".

First, I've had that said about some of my original characters and, honestly, it kinda hurts. Particularly when it comes from someone showing off their own characters that sometimes I don't feel are quite right, be it design or backstory.

See a character may not fit into your canon, but that doesn't mean it can't fit into the overall MOTU mythos.

And that's the other thing and really the most important thing: ANYTHING can fit into the MOTU mythos. ANYONE can fit in. Why" Because at it's core MOTU combines elements from all genres. It's primarily a combination of fantasy and sci-fi and that in and of itself opens the door to pretty much anything. Given the vast number of MOTU stories that include ordinary people swept up into the main plot really nothing is out of place. It may not be the most interesting character but there is no one who really "doesn't belong"
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/