Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spector- a liberty too far from Toyguru?

Quote Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
    I think the total silence and lack of applause in the room when The Mighty Spector was revealed during the panel says it all...
    100% agree

MOTU 30th aniversary deserves better figures than this extravaganza devoted to Toyguru's nostagia. Sorry Scott, I understand you want to leave your imprint on MOTUC...and your face on a figure is a funny nod and homage to your great work... but making a second Spector character as a way to celebrate 30 years of MOTU is a little off limits IMHO

Heroic Warrior
    Paint him black and cut a hole for his eyes and you would have a decent start on Ninjor.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar

Jeez...copycat much?

And the design sucks. This is about as much MOTU as the Hulk holding a Power Sword.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    sorry, I don't like it. Doesn't look like a MOTU character at all to me.
    I hope Draego wasn't the best the 30th anniversary is going to have to offer.
    Draego sets the bar pretty high, though.
    I'll lead you into danger
    And all that troubles man
    I'll lead you far from hunger
    Just take my frozen hand

The 30th anniversary figures should be about producing characters for the joy of the fans. This figure seems like it is being made solely for the personal gratification of its creator. It was a poor decision to produce this figure. If the backlash wasn't anticipated, it highlights just how out of touch someone is with the line's fanbase.

I still can't believe it ... he's worse than Photog

anyway this abomination makes it very easy for me to skip on the 30th anniversary add-on
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I wonder how you haters feel if you won the create a character contest and the majority hates it..give Toyguru a break he deserves it.These are also bonus figures and not a part of the sub

It is a very Marvel-esque looking figure, I'm not too big on this one. Sorry Scott. Don't want to sound irrational but I'm reconsidering a 30th sub...this guy isn't the lynch pin, but he made me realize, the horsemen aren't designing the rest they are making them based on the designs of others, and maybe I won't like what others have to offer, I don't like photog though I think the horsemen made him work, I don't like this mighty spector, very plain imo. so it's making me wonder will i like anyone other than drago man?
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    I think Mattel probably revealed the BEST character of the 6 30th anniversary figures during SDCC : Draego-Man. Personally, I don't see how they could possibly top that 4 Horsemen designed figure...

I would probably have greeted this figure (Mighty Spector) better if it hadn't reused parts so heavily.

As it is, I feel like TG is trying to sell a cheap repaint that he claims is "his original idea from his childhood".

The lure to sell this figure, of course, is to make it an important character in the bio (master of time travel and even, if what some fans noticed is true, the son of Skeletor)...

Oh, and by the way, I think Mattel should let the 4 Horsemen design new ideas, new characters and figures. We may take risks with other persons, but when things come from Mattel inhouse, we usually end up pretty disappointed (that reminds me some of the worst 200x vehicles which, "coincidentally", had been designed by Mattel inhouse too)...
    Last edited by Prahvus; September 24, 2011 at 06:12pm.

Quote Originally Posted by labrat1881 View Post
    I wonder how you haters feel if you won the create a character contest and the majority hates it..give Toyguru a break he deserves it.These are also bonus figures and not a part of the sub
    having a valid reason for disliking something does not make one a hater. honestly it WOULD hurt if no one liked my design (hell it hurts that no one comments on art work I put up that I think looks good) but putting stuff out there opens you up to criticism and praise (or in my case disinterest)

so while it's unfair to bash scott personally, if people dislike the figure they should be allowed to (fairly) state why.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    Okay I will say I don't really care for this guy but I will NEVER say he -or anyone- "doesn't feel like a MOTU character".

First, I've had that said about some of my original characters and, honestly, it kinda hurts. Particularly when it comes from someone showing off their own characters that sometimes I don't feel are quite right, be it design or backstory.

See a character may not fit into your canon, but that doesn't mean it can't fit into the overall MOTU mythos.

And that's the other thing and really the most important thing: ANYTHING can fit into the MOTU mythos. ANYONE can fit in. Why" Because at it's core MOTU combines elements from all genres. It's primarily a combination of fantasy and sci-fi and that in and of itself opens the door to pretty much anything. Given the vast number of MOTU stories that include ordinary people swept up into the main plot really nothing is out of place. It may not be the most interesting character but there is no one who really "doesn't belong"

Well said. The elephant headed guy, ninja, cyborg cowboy and transforming rock people agree.

I'm warming up to this figure. I like that he's got a different look in MOTUC, despite being a simple design made of parts I'm familiar with.

Is a fact that Toyguru has a business talent, brand manager talent, heīs doing an amazing job with this line and making a lot of us happy.
    However his artistic and creative skills have proven more that once to be not so good to say the least. He should know when to step aside and let the pros do their job.
    But thatīs just my opinion, I love this line keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    Well Scott, I for one love him, and you definitely deserve to have your figure made after all the great figures you've given us.

Thank you!
    I second that. If I'd get the chance to bring a character I created in my childhood to life then hell, I would do it, too!
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    I think the total silence and lack of applause in the room when The Mighty Spector was revealed during the panel says it all...
    ... WOW...!!!
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Heroic Warrior
    I have nothing against that he create a character for himself and the 4 HM built it for him.

But he wants us to pay for it with our money and that is where it ends for me...

I have to agree that this design is not worthy for the 30th anniversary of this great brand...

yep...that is a bad toy and 20 bucks i will never get back...sigh
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

What an utterly terrible figure.

I love how something this awful can get made, but Illumina can't be cause no one knows of her.

Total crap from TG and Mattel on this one. I don't care if Spector is a 30th figure or not. Then make Illumina a 30th as well. I can guarantee you just about 100% more people will be excited about her than they would be for Spector. (clearly the lack noise in the room has already confirmed this, though I'm sure there will be revisionist remarks made how the people on the floor of the con raved about it all weekend and that the silence didn't happen at the panel)

Such a joke.

If I wanted a DCUC character I'd go collect that line.

I hope Marvel files for copyright infringement on this unholy creation.

Heroic Warrior
    I have nothing against that he create a character for himself and the 4 HM built it for him.

But he wants us to pay for it with our money and that is where it ends for me...

I have to agree that this design is not worthy for the 30th anniversary of this great brand...

Berserker79, you just summarized precisely what I'm thinking.

I love how something this awful can get made, but Illumina can't be cause no one knows of her.
    I agree wholeheartedly, Soulfly. I'd buy Illumina for sure ! But I won't buy Mighty Spector. His totally different, anti-MOTU look, and the fact that he reuses parts so heavily, is not worth the money I'd have to spend to get him. Let's be clear and honest, here : it's not really Toyguru's concept that I criticize : it is what seems to be a ripoff under a thin "30th anniversary" disguise.
    Last edited by Prahvus; September 24, 2011 at 06:23pm.

They will probably be packaging Draego-Man's missing shield and whip with this awful figure to ensure some of us actually buy it...

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post

That's a point of view.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

They will probably be packaging Draego-Man's missing shield and whip with this awful figure to ensure some of us actually buy it...
    stop giving them ideas, man
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Very bland figure. The only thing that looks interesting to me is the cosmic key wrist thingy - and it looks totally out of place when compared to the rest of the figure.

For those bashing this figure you are all more than welcome to submit your own create a character figure for the contest to put your design where your mouth is.

You could also put yourself through school and work your way up at Mattel to make one of your childhood dreams come true.

My own personal opinion, but a lot of people here are simply too hard on Scott. He obviously wants to please as many fans as best he can, but he continually gets bashed.

I for one am proud of a guy who grew up with similar interests to main and was able to make a career of it, and earned the ability to create a permanent token of that journey and success.

Lycan
    Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post
    Draego sets the bar pretty high, though.
    Yes, but.. seriously? I expected a LOT better than this. And I'm expecting the rest of the 30th Anniversary line to be as cool as Draego and hoping this one is just a blip. I have faith that the 4HM could make *anything* look cool, but.. this shakes my faith a bit
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    Okay I will say I don't really care for this guy but I will NEVER say he -or anyone- "doesn't feel like a MOTU character".

First, I've had that said about some of my original characters and, honestly, it kinda hurts. Particularly when it comes from someone showing off their own characters that sometimes I don't feel are quite right, be it design or backstory.

See a character may not fit into your canon, but that doesn't mean it can't fit into the overall MOTU mythos.

And that's the other thing and really the most important thing: ANYTHING can fit into the MOTU mythos. ANYONE can fit in. Why" Because at it's core MOTU combines elements from all genres. It's primarily a combination of fantasy and sci-fi and that in and of itself opens the door to pretty much anything. Given the vast number of MOTU stories that include ordinary people swept up into the main plot really nothing is out of place. It may not be the most interesting character but there is no one who really "doesn't belong"
    100% THIS!

While I do agree that Mighty Spector looks more like a DC Classics figure than a MOTUC figure, he is still not a bad figure. I mean thatīs the great thing about MOTU, itīs a mixture of ALL genres. Seems like we have at least one representitive of each genre, but one we havenīt had until now is a superhero looking character. Plus I think a lot of people are trying to compare him to the vintage type characters, which would explain why he looks a lot more out of place. I think he might actually not look too bad mixed in with the NA characters, especially since he is a time traveller from the future. He may be a good character to help bridge the two eras together.

Also I for one am happy that Toyguru got to make his childhood creation a reality. For all he has done for the line, and for his dedication as both a brand manager and a fan, he deserves it. Like the figure or not, if any of us ever had the same chance, I think most of us would do the same thing. Plus since he designed it as a kid, I think thatīs a lot of the reason it looks so superhero-y. Im sure it was the comicbook influence that a lot of us were getting at that age. As for the similar name to Lt Spector, I could be misremembering but Im pretty sure when the Palace Guards came out and Lt Spector was revealled, we were told that they named him in honor of Scottīs Create A Character entry from when he was a kid. Since this is that same entry, that explains the similar name.