Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Spector- a liberty too far from Toyguru?

Quote Originally Posted by Coptur View Post
    I don't know why people think they can be out right rude to the creator, it's becoming unpleasant to come on the forum with opinions of a vile nature. yes i'm all for expressing your own opinions but the nature of them is becoming tiresome.

I actually embrace this new addition to the MOTU-Universe and hope to see more like it.

ps Toyguru I have a great idea for a new snakeman and i'm happy to give it to Mattel
    I couldn't agree more. I'm sorry, but this entire thread is in very poor taste, is rude, disrespectful and completely unnecessary.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Fair enough, but you also don't eat what you don't like. Scott should worry about the health of the line, logistics, budget, whatever ... but he has no business interfering with the creative direction, that's not his field and he clearly has not what it takes. Let the proper artists take care of the design, you will have magnificent figures and everyone will buy them. Now the line is just losing potential customers.
    I hear ya, look at my beloved Ghostbusters line.....

This only adds to my view that Toyguru sees MOTUC as his own personal fanfic toyline.

Is this figure in the sub? I hope not otherwise it only adds another reason not to get it which isn't good. Last night I was contemplating to get one just because I want Shadow Weaver.

Edit: Never mind, I just read it's for 30th anniversary - I guess I won't be buying that either
    Last edited by kup; September 24, 2011 at 07:19pm.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    this is marvel comics magus

Attached Images Attached Images

Scott wasn't out of line creating a figure, I've said it once and I'll say it again, we ALL KNEW a figure was coming from mattel marketing, they told us up front one was coming and if anyone thought it WOULDNT be from scott or heavily influenced by him than i don't know what to tell you, because it was pretty obvious from the get go.
    Im happy for scott, he had his dream of a figure he designed as a kid finally come to life and he is in the perfect position to make that happen.

I just wish the figure wasn't so plain and "generic", i REALLY hope his knife that it comes with is kinda sweet looking as i feel like he NEEDS something extremly standout interesting, because to me thats all this figure is missing, that one piece of the puzzle, whether it be a hood and cloak, or whatever, MAYBE the cosmic key wrist band is it, but i feel like we need some clear high res photos to show it off as i've not seen any yet
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    I for one am glad that Toyguru got to design a figure. He has been instrumental in bringing Masters back to life, and he suffers so much grief for it. We can debate whether we like his design, but let's not say he is acting outside of what is "fair" by actually getting to design a toy. He put in the long hours preparing for this career; he interviewed and got a job at Mattel; he probably has to work on projects that are not his dream projects; he has put his job on the line in some ways for being such an advocate for Masters; he has to put up with fans who are jealous of his job; he has to endure accusations of malfeasance just because some people think he is out to get the fans; for goodness' sake, let's let him design a figure without grief!!!!!
    This.

Do I love the design? Not really. But I'm diggin' the fact that Scott got one in there. As much crap as people give him here, Scott does a pretty damn good job. Remember, final decisions are not usually his, and he gives us info that a lot of other companies (or even Matty in the past) would refuse to reveal to consumers. He deals with our crap, and tnat of the company, and works his ass off, and has a family. He could have given us "Wisconsin Pride Orko" and I would've been happy to see him get a creation in.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

Heroic Warrior
    If people don't like the figure, then so be it. That's their opinion. (mine as well) I personally don't like the character.

But It seems that many of TG'S fanboys are up in arms because people don't like Spector's design. Well just as there are those of you that like the design, there are others that don't. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

And I am pretty sure that Scott was prepared for the backlash that this would cause. It happens when you post your work of art online for others to see, some will like it, some will hate it. It comes with the terrtory.

My 2 cents.......

If in fact the figure was designed in the 80's or 90's lets see the original concept pic please. then it may not be so bad as a rip off of modern day characters.

I like the cosmic key arm band. Its good to tie him in that way.

The spade could have been incorporated into his weapon not his logo. It dosent really fit in with the MOTUC way of things. Besides He-man no one really has a logo. Besides the Horde. Characters have Gems and designs but no need for a Spade.

I will say one thing that yea this figure really dont belong in MOTU desgin wise but does the Ninjor or Rio Blast do. I mean they are not in the whole barbarian look of things either. So I will give TG that.

Finally...............Give someone else some input into this line TG. Stop stealing the spotlight. And for gods sake man can you stop calling your creations Spector. How many spectors are there gonna be in MOTUC.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I don’t think it’s too much of a surprise that Toyguru himself has designed one of the Mattel-designed figures. It was pretty obviouse really. He is the brand manager. I will say that as a figure he’s a little too generic for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by labrat1881 View Post
    I wonder how you haters feel if you won the create a character contest and the majority hates it..give Toyguru a break he deserves it.These are also bonus figures and not a part of the sub
    But Toyguru already had a figure and that was Lt. Spector from the Palace Guards. This new figure seems more self indulgent and taking advantage of his position as brand manager to 'inject' his personal fanfic and style into the franchise. This feels even worse when the figure is being placed in the 30th anniversary sub 'forcing' people who already got one to buy this figure.

I can understand Photog as there is some official history there but not this..
    Last edited by kup; September 24, 2011 at 07:53pm.

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    The more you all hate The Mighty Spector™, the more I will like him! Keep up the great work guys!

-Fearless Leader of the Matty Apologists™
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

I'm envious that this figure has dark purple, red and silver on it and Tallstar doesn't.

Nobody would have made the silly accusation that Toyguru is "misusing his power" if they liked the design.

So let's get back to the design. Why is it good, why is it bad?

And BTW: Most people wrote they disliked the design and didn't "hate on ToyGuru" as some here misconstruct.

Court Magician
    I wish I had a ton of money ... I would fund a tour and send Scott/ToyGuru all around the world and I send him to work with each of the *****y haters so he could nit pick their jobs all day long.

This is a rags to riches story of a 10 year old kid who submitted a design 30 years ago and then grew up to be the brand manager of the toys he loved. If you can,t appreciate that then you need to give up collecting toys and be the grumpy old guy in your neighborhood.

Have a heart and stop being so damn selfish.

Evil Apologist of Mattel® Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JuliusMarx View Post
    I wish I had a ton of money ... I would fund a tour and send Scott/ToyGuru all around the world and I send him to work with each of the *****y haters so he could nit pick their jobs all day long.

This is a rags to riches story of a 10 year old kid who submitted a design 30 years ago and then grew up to be the brand manager of the toys he loved. If you can,t appreciate that then you need to give up collecting toys and be the grumpy old guy in your neighborhood.

Bravo! +1 (and then some) to that!
    -=¤EvilCøuntMarzø¤=-
    BLÅÇK FLØWËRŠ!!!!

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    I am not mad at Scott for bringing his childhood creation to MOTUC. We are getting a number of new characters next year, his is just one.

However, the figure just doesn't seem to fit the masters style. What do most figures wear? Fuzzy shorts. What do most figures carry? A sword or spear. His figure is too much like a superhero. In fact, when I first saw him I thought of my DCUC Vigilante.
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    Ouch...

It's certainly a familiar design, but I actually like the look of this guy.
    Thanks Mangs.
    -Buzz out
    www.hyveofvillainy.com - Evil Action Figures

My ORG FEEDBACK is here.

Regardless of the background behind the figure, alienating a good chunk of your customer base is never a good idea.

It's not selfish to disagree with the inclusion of a figure nor is it selfish to voice a dislike for a particular design. It would be easier to respect your passionate defense if you didn't receive so much free product from Mattel every month.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    The more you all hate The Mighty Spector™, the more I will like him! Keep up the great work guys!

-Fearless Leader of the Matty Apologists™
    Ha! Mighty Spector's gaining some major underdog points for me. I found him interesting a couple hours ago, but he's quickly becoming my favorite figure ever. Ever!

after BG Evil-Lyn i will NEVER be a Matty Apologists™ but i have to say i like this figure i think he looks cool

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I'm sorry, but this entire thread is in very poor taste, is rude, disrespectful and completely unnecessary.
    Since i'm the originator of this thread, I'll repeat to you what i've and others have said to clarify any misunderstandings. This is not an attack on Scott but concerns over either the figure, its part of the 30th anniversary and its possible effects on the whole line. No-one has abused Scott himself but they are allowed to have their opinions on the toy or sub itself I would imagine.

My concern is that for the 30th anniversary of Masters of the universe, we have received a 6 figure sub which has little connection to the property, in a time of financial depression very few can afford, which will probably have an effect on the continuing property as it is showing very little interest and it needs to pay for itself somehow.

It is also the 4th time Scott has had direct influence on the line itself- 1. selection of He-ro as 1st SDCC exclusive 2. Inclusion of face and name on Eternian guard 3. Writing duties on mini-comics in 30th anniversary and 4. Production of figure based on his own childhood designs

I think he has had the spoils of the 'fan came good' notion some people may have on here

Whilst my opinions and others will have no effect regarding the outcome of this, it is my hope that any or all extras in future concentrate on the previous incarnations that we all love and purchase the line for. Thank you
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

This figure is what is is at this point. Certainly not worth getting worked up about but definitly my least favorite thing MOTU related maybe ever. I'm a completist at this point so I'll be getting him but right now I'm thinking he may stand behind Molar on my shelf.

This will definitely hurt 30th anniversary sub sales. As I said, I'm a completist but even I am thinking maybe I don't want the 30th anniversary sub is this is where some of the figures are headed.

Heroic Warrior

I'm not a fan of Spector but I don't intend that to be a personal attack on his creator.

The quote got me interested in Scott/ToyGuru's background. Is there a bio somewhere describing his "rags to riches" story? Sounds interesting.

I'm happy for Scott, he's finally getting his dream figure made.

I'm not keen on the character or his design though. What meaning does the spade symbol have within the storyline? Is he meant to be a gambler like Bow? It seems very random to me.

The wrist mounted Cosmic Key is kinda cool, but calling him the Master of Time Travel makes him sound ridiculously powerful, IMO.

He looks very bland to me. Almost looks like he was designed for a DC create a character contest, as he seems more like a 90s comics supervillain than a MOTU hero.

I'm good with them making new characters for the line, and I'm sorry that chestnut is coming up again. We've been over that debate a lot, and I guess we'll never resolve it. It's probably most true that people wouldn't object to them if they liked the designs more. But there were a lot of comments that Draego-Man didn't fit in the line either, so nothing will get by without negative notes from someone with a different vision for MOTU than what gets officially released. I can accept that, but can't the official one be as wide as possible? If there's room for Spector, there's got to be room for Illumina. I know, to the Nth degree, but by now it's clear that there will be opposition to any and all figures except, maybe, original 80s MOTU characters (excluding the ones that don't have heads that offend).