Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Spector- a liberty too far from Toyguru?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by vid.tracey View Post
    Just heard the news from Powercon/thundercon and I'm stunned at the revelation that the 1st create a character is from........Toyguru?

Wasn't this created for fans? Hasn't he already had his little nod with Lt. Spector in the Eternian guards. Starting to feel that he's taking his position as Brand Manager of Mattel a little too far with this plus with the creative input in the new mini-comics as writer.
    This, along with the thread title, I think are what have many of us crying foul that things are turning to a bit of disrespect and all...

On looking at the figure, the first thing I thought was Cyclops body Jim Lee style with a Deadpoolesque/ Venom head? Hardly original either.
    A 3 paragraph original post, plus a title, and only 1 out of 4 components of the original post are about disliking the figure.

"A liberty too far...?" is not a statement about disliking the figure, but rather directly attacks TG's involvement in the figure, just like the first two of 3 paragraphs.

As others have pointed out, if TG had come up with something that was as "incredible" as Draego-Man, nobody would care so much that TG created the character. So, to those who say that this is a thread about disliking (or liking, for those of us who do like the figure) the character/figure is totally inaccurate, and only what it morphed into, not what the OP started as.

Heroic Warrior

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    You know I think it's hilarious that people are bashing Toyguru for getting a figure he designed made, yet probably most of those people bashing him would jump at the chance to have a character they designed made if Mattel asked them.
    Oh totally,Figure design aside....most of it is the Green Eyed Monster! Have no illusions bout that!

ka
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

To anyone who is defending Scott's right to have a figure (no matter HOW bad it is) or is suggesting that vocalising our dislike of the figure is somehow an attack on Scott, how would you feel if this was the winner of this year's create-a-character contest?

Quote Originally Posted by labrat1881 View Post
    I wonder how you haters feel if you won the create a character contest and the majority hates it..give Toyguru a break he deserves it.
    If my design was crap then I'd deserve it too. The 4HM copped it for characters like Buzz Off and Clawful. Why does Scott deserve a break when they don't get one?

Quote Originally Posted by LANTERN-RO View Post
    ...and give that freak 200x skeletor swords!!!!
    This is possibly the worst idea I've heard in a long time. Can you imagine if we all had to buy this horrible figure just to get Keldor's 200X swords??!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Is a fact that Toyguru has a business talent, brand manager talent, heīs doing an amazing job with this line and making a lot of us happy.
    However his artistic and creative skills have proven more that once to be not so good to say the least. He should know when to step aside and let the pros do their job.
    But thatīs just my opinion, I love this line keep it up!
    Exactly. The bios, the mini-comic and now this figure prove that.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I have nothing against that he create a character for himself and the 4 HM built it for him.

But he wants us to pay for it with our money and that is where it ends for me.....
    Somehow, this makes you a hater!!??

Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    You could also put yourself through school and work your way up at Mattel to make one of your childhood dreams come true.
    So if the MD of a condom company wanted to bring out a new line that smelled like cabbage cos he loved it as a child, should they go ahead with it because he worked his way into that position?

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    Frankly he is the number one fan.
    Really? Who decided this?

Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    While I'm not a huge fan of the new character (yet, it could change) I think it's cool they let Toyguru put his character in the anniversary line.
    No offence, but I think people are forgetting that this is a PRODUCT. Businesses make products to sell. If Scott wanted Spector so bad then the 4HM should have made him a one-off piece and left the third spot of the 30th anniversary figures for a figure we actually want to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    Oh totally,Figure design aside....most of it is the Green Eyed Monster! Have no illusions bout that!

ka
    I completely disagree. If he came up with Draego Man, I would still love Draego Man. And I would be impressed by Scott's artistic talent.

Heroic Warrior
    No offence, but I think people are forgetting that this is a PRODUCT. Businesses make products to sell. If Scott wanted Spector so bad then the 4HM should have made him a one-off piece and left the third spot of the 30th anniversary figures for a figure we actually want to buy.
    No offense, but don't you think if they are producing the figure, they actually thought it would sell? Remember New Coke, the Zune, the Sega Genesis, the PSPgo, the Nintendo Virtual Boy... Nobody put these things on the market just out of ego. They thought they would sell, thought they were pretty cool ideas. Obviously, if Mattel is putting this out they felt like it stood a chance (and it still might sell well, you never know... we've seen a few figures that people were up in arms over and then ended up liking... and if nothing else, he's great customization fodder, right?) of selling well.

Everyone disparaging Mattel for producing this, saying their job is to make product people will actually buy are assuming this is just about ego.

Oh, and don't forget, you are not "we", not the entirety of MOTUC fans... A lot of us do like the figure and will be buying him (and not just because he's part of the 30th anniversary sub) so a statement like leaving a spot for a figure we actually want to buy is totally unfair to the opinions of fellow fans. I'm not going to begrudge anyone who decides not to buy the figure because they don't like it; don't devalue those of us who do like it by speaking as if we don't exist.

How is it the 30th Anniversery line seems to have nothing to do with the 30th Anniversary?

I'm not attacking ToyGuru/Scott, but this figure is completely uncreative. I'd say it has no place in MOTU, but then again, I don't think Rio Blast or a few other entries belong in MOTU either, so that's a fairly biased statement. Draego Man is not a completely original idea either, there have been dragon people in other fiction, but at least this version is original to itself, where in it doesn't feel like it's a Alternate Company Equivalent or an Expy. Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if his bio was an anti-hero with a mouth with a past that has the death of a loved one that he could've prevented but didn't because he didn't know about the responsibility that came with his power.

Bottom line, Spector feels like a badly cliched '90's anti-hero while Draego Man feels like a forgotten MOTU character.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    So if the MD of a condom company wanted to bring out a new line that smelled like cabbage cos he loved it as a child, should they go ahead with it because he worked his way into that position?
    Really? THAT'S the analogy your going with?

Aside from your analogy, alot of your points are on base, the problem I am having with alot of this negativity is that the figure ISN'T bad, it really isn't, the basic layout works for a TON of superheros that are extremely popular, many are saying spiderman and deadpool. If the figure SUCKED there is no question in my mind that those characters wouldn't be as iconic as they are. No, my problem with this figure is that it is bland and generic. In a line with barbarians, crab people, skeletons, slugs, cat people, wizards, pirates, snake people, yea, ok, this type of character COULD fit, but all of those other characters i mentioned had something that made them stand out. Mighty Spector doesn't have that stand out feature (and spider-man and deadpool also have a stand out feature in their personas and powers) I just don't think "time travel" cuts it as a stand out feature, I'd really expect Spector to have some stand out accessories, and his gun in the photos JUST isn't cutting it. I know toyguru said he'll also have a knife, but I just don't think for a time traveler a knife is a stand out item. I mean heck, give em some kind of cool pocket watch on a chain, with some sweet glow effect or something, incorporate time into the theme
    Last edited by jackstatic; September 25, 2011 at 12:18am.
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

This is crap. Absolute garbage. I will not buy it.

Keep collecting these folks, because they will get rarer as more superfans like, me who have every figure from the vintage 200X, and MOTUC (so far), will stop buying them.

Mattell thinks that during this economy, we are just going to shell out our cash for brainless concepts just because they call them "MOTU", and this is an obvious "they'll buy whatever we make up" concept slapped right in our faces.

I for one, am absolutely disgusted by this figure and am starting to look at Mattell the same way i did whiile the 200X series was being destroyed by their genious.

Ooooph, this figure is a tough one. I'll try to put it as civil as possible. Don't want to bash on Toyguru, so I'll try to give my constructive criticism.

The purpose of the character is to be a timetraveller, but the design doesn't really do anything with that purpose besides to give him a cosmic key, that one of the 4H designers added on later in the design stage. To me that is not very creative. Besides that we have Gwildor, who invented the Cosmic Key and PD He-man who also uses this device. Now there is a third, completely new designed character that doesn't really do anything with the source material of being a time traveller.

This character seems to me a little too easy. Especially when there are fan created characters such as Fungor who uses his spore-powers to create a small army and Caught-N-Mouth who's able to devour entire characters with his snake like ability to stretch his mouth. Those characters are first original and second creative.

Then there are characters who are not very original but have a very visually striking design, like Draego Man. He's a flying dragon man with a tail. Nothing exceptionally original but very beautifully designed with a striking color pallet.

Spector doesn't fall in any of these categories which is a pity. The fact that he's a character created by Toyguru for the create-a-contest of the 80's doesn't matter to me. If it was a figure that blew everyone away, no one would care. So I don't have any hate for this figure but it won't be my personal favorite.

EDIT: I love Stinkor, Slush Head and the Griffon all very much. Very happy with them.
    Last edited by The Horrorist; September 25, 2011 at 12:54am.

I say loose the 90s Image/Jim Lee harness & weapons and make him in translucent purple plastic with glitter in the plastic

Something more like this?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
    How is it the 30th Anniversery line seems to have nothing to do with the 30th Anniversary?
    Have to disagree with you here... As we have seen TG say many times, MOTU has always been about the imagination of the fans, and in numerous threads on this site, you see so many of us talking about how we have our own canon, our own bios for the characters, our own relationships and such. Heck, judging by folks interest in Bravestar, many of us probably mixed "universes" and played with MOTU figures and figures that weren't true MOTU side-by-side as if they were teammates.

These 30th Anniversary figures are celebrating that "avatar of the imagination" mentality. They have everything to do with the 30th Anniversary.

At least, that's my feelings on it.

Ummm...i like it...we need charcters like that...simple fighters....im gettn one

Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post
    Besides that we have Gwildor, who invented the Cosmic Key and PD He-man who also uses this device. Now there is a third, completely new designed character that doesn't really do anything with the source material of being a time traveller.

The little worm has a THIRD key!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    OK, the last one!

Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    No offense, but don't you think if they are producing the figure, they actually thought it would sell? Remember New Coke, the Zune, the Sega Genesis, the PSPgo, the Nintendo Virtual Boy... Nobody put these things on the market just out of ego. They thought they would sell, thought they were pretty cool ideas. Obviously, if Mattel is putting this out they felt like it stood a chance (and it still might sell well, you never know... we've seen a few figures that people were up in arms over and then ended up liking... and if nothing else, he's great customization fodder, right?) of selling well.

Everyone disparaging Mattel for producing this, saying their job is to make product people will actually buy are assuming this is just about ego.

Oh, and don't forget, you are not "we", not the entirety of MOTUC fans... A lot of us do like the figure and will be buying him (and not just because he's part of the 30th anniversary sub) so a statement like leaving a spot for a figure we actually want to buy is totally unfair to the opinions of fellow fans. I'm not going to begrudge anyone who decides not to buy the figure because they don't like it; don't devalue those of us who do like it by speaking as if we don't exist.
    That was me, not vid.tracey. Anyway, total LOL - I don't know about the other projects you mentioned, but the guy who invented Virtual Boy quit Nintendo after it failed; and he invented the gameboy (no need to tell you HOW successful that was) and worked on the original Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. Are you comparing him and his successes and failures to TG? Come on now.

No offence to you, but if a handful of fans liking this figure is equal to a "lot" of people, what would you call the number of people not happy with it? You can't deny the overwhelming sigh of disappointment over this figure.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstatic View Post
    Really? THAT'S the analogy your going with?
    What's wrong with it? It covers the points and the message is clear. Isn't that the point of an analogy?

Curiously, you've expressed a dislike of my analogy - does that make you my hater?
    Last edited by He-Boy; September 25, 2011 at 01:02am.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    The Mighty Spector in no way feels like he fits into MOTU. This is no offense to the idea or the design, but it's like having a DC Create A Character contest and putting Tri-Klops in there. Tri-Klops just doesn't fit as a superhero or supervillain. The Mighty Spector is out of place. I worry about the Create-A-Character contest now and the Geoff Johns figure, because we might be getting some bizarre new universe of MOTU superheroes. It's taken me 20 years to finally accept New Adventures.

I hope I'm not sounding ungrateful because I think ToyGuru has done a great job with keeping this line alive, being friendly, and putting up with us, but if he wanted a figure for his own design, I'm sure the Four Horsemen could have made one on the side for him as a "thank you" and kept it at that.

I'm still sticking with my 30th anniversary sub, and glad they created it, but I plan to customize The Mighty Spector. I never thought there would be a toy I disliked more than Toothless Skeletor.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    OMG, that picture is SO funny!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    IMHO Mighty Spector looks at least, or better than, Buzz-Off or Ninjor. If MS was a character we grew up with and TG designed Buzz-Off we would all be crying about his stupid bee concept.

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    The Mighty Spector in no way feels like he fits into MOTU. This is no offense to the idea or the design, but it's like having a DC Create A Character contest and putting Tri-Klops in there. Tri-Klops just doesn't fit as a superhero or supervillain. The Mighty Spector is out of place. I worry about the Create-A-Character contest now and the Geoff Johns figure, because we might be getting some bizarre new universe of MOTU superheroes. It's taken me 20 years to finally accept New Adventures.

I hope I'm not sounding ungrateful because I think ToyGuru has done a great job with keeping this line alive, being friendly, and putting up with us, but if he wanted a figure for his own design, I'm sure the Four Horsemen could have made one on the side for him as a "thank you" and kept it at that.

I'm still sticking with my 30th anniversary sub, and glad they created it, but I plan to customize The Mighty Spector. I never thought there would be a toy I disliked more than Toothless Skeletor.

To be fair, ToyGuru did say that his design entry was that of a superhero back in the day.

For whatever reason....I expected it to be a guy in tights with a cape....

Also, I've read Blackest Night; I know what Geoff Johns can do. I don't think he'd sketch a guy meant for the Green Lantern comics as a MOTU character.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Quote Originally Posted by Bjjer View Post
    IMHO Mighty Spector looks at least, or better than, Buzz-Off or Ninjor. If MS was a character we grew up with and TG designed Buzz-Off we would all be crying about his stupid bee concept.
    Do you honestly think that we would all hate Draego Man if we found out that TG created him? Put down your 'hater' pitchfork and accept that we dislike the work, not the artist.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    More Mighty Spector pics!

I think the straight purple is what bothers me most. He needs more colours. Like...if his undies were black and the center part the same colour it is, might help!

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    To be fair, ToyGuru did say that his design entry was that of a superhero back in the day.

For whatever reason....I expected it to be a guy in tights with a cape....

Also, I've read Blackest Night; I know what Geoff Johns can do. I don't think he'd sketch a guy meant for the Green Lantern comics as a MOTU character.
    Even if he said it, I still don't think superheroes fit into MOTU, and I think most MOTU fans would agree. Maybe I'd be more accepting if they had made for example, Superman MOTUC sized in those DC vs. MOTU packs.

All of a sudden we go from "has to feel vintage" to "anything goes"? I prefer vintage over all eras, but now, I don't feel like Mattel has a right to exclude the hyper anime, NA stylized stuff, etc.., even though this is just an experimental line (30th anniversary).

Regarding Geoff Johns, honestly, I don't know much of anything about him, other than he works at DC. I was a Marvel guy growing up, so I have a bit of a bias. I hope he understands MOTU enough to make something that fits.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    The little worm has a THIRD key!!!!!
    Nice one, Urban.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    Do you honestly think that we would all hate Draego Man if we found out that TG created him? Put down your 'hater' pitchfork and accept that we dislike the work, not the artist.
    Some of these posts are just coming off as immature. I think we are all adults and we have the capability of criticizing without sounding like a bunch of whiny children.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by labrat1881 View Post
    I wonder how you haters feel if you won the create a character contest and the majority hates it..give Toyguru a break he deserves it.These are also bonus figures and not a part of the sub
    Man-o-man! I forgot we can't (as a PAYING public) have an opinion.

Thanks for that reminder!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz