Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Spector- a liberty too far from Toyguru?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    More Mighty Spector pics!

I think the straight purple is what bothers me most. He needs more colours. Like...if his undies were black and the center part the same colour it is, might help!

http://thefwoosh.com/wp-content/uplo...ty-Spector.jpg

http://thefwoosh.com/wp-content/uplo...-Spector-2.jpg
    i would like him more if the yellow was the same dark gray as the boots

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    For those bashing this figure you are all more than welcome to submit your own create a character figure for the contest to put your design where your mouth is.

You could also put yourself through school and work your way up at Mattel to make one of your childhood dreams come true.

My own personal opinion, but a lot of people here are simply too hard on Scott. He obviously wants to please as many fans as best he can, but he continually gets bashed.

I for one am proud of a guy who grew up with similar interests to main and was able to make a career of it, and earned the ability to create a permanent token of that journey and success.
    When someone critiques an NFL team, do you ask for their NFC coaching resume?

No?

I thought not.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    i would like him more if the yellow was the same dark gray as the boots
    What about gold to match his bracelets? I'm thinking gold harness and black undies.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Ok, did any of you guys commenting about this figure ripping off Deadpool read the previous posts? Deadpool didn't debut in Marvel Comics until 1991. Spector was submitted by Scott in the original create-a-character contest in the 80's. Let's please stop with the ripoff comments.
    We have proof of that, where?
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Bjjer View Post
    Some of these posts are just coming off as immature. I think we are all adults and we have the capability of criticizing without sounding like a bunch of whiny children.
    I consider 'immature' such an inaccurate description. Don't you think it's hypocritical to call me (or whoever) a 'whiny child' and yet complain about people attacking Scott? IMO nothing close to that has been said about Scott in this thread? In fact, any comments calling Scott a whiny child I'm sure would have been removed. Will yours?

The only attack I've seen towards Scott (regarding Spector) is the suggestion that he has used his position to put out a sub-par figure. I find it baffling that any opinion that doesn't agree with Scott is considered an immature hater. I don't hate Scott; he's done some great things as brand manager. When it comes to the creative stuff, he is not skilled enough IMO. Nothing to do with hating him. It's the same as EVERYWHERE else in life - if you aren't good enough for the job, you shouldn't get the job.

Has Scott earned the right to submit an idea for a figure? - of course he has. But he still has to bring it! And I don't think he has. This figure should have been rejected at the concept stage (just like it has been two times already).

I would love to say something positive about the figure's design. I've stared at the images and I'm struggling to find one thing I like. There is a reason this design didn't win years ago when it was submitted for Mattel's original contest. It's just a terrible design. The identity of the creator has no bearing on how horrible it is.

What I find amusing is how poorly our criticism is being received by a vocal few. If you love the figure then I think that's fabulous. Please don't get upset with and disparage those of us who don't.

I just saw some pics of this guy. I think he looks kind of neat. He resembles an X-Men character and that's fine with me.

I believe he will blend in perfectly with the rest of the line once he's in hand. At first He-Ro stood out to me and looked like he didn't fit in at all. We've since added Marzo, Optikk, Faceless One, Carnivus, Gygor, Flipshot, and we'll be adding Draego Man and Fearless Photog very soon.

Quite the diverse group. The more varied designs the better as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
    This is crap. Absolute garbage. I will not buy it.

Mattell thinks that during this economy, we are just going to shell out our cash for brainless concepts just because they call them "MOTU", and this is an obvious "they'll buy whatever we make up" concept slapped right in our faces.

I for one, am absolutely disgusted by this figure and am starting to look at Mattell the same way i did whiile the 200X series was being destroyed by their genious.
    I could not agree more...

He's a GREAT brand manager. But this figure and the bios show that creative is not where his talent lies.
    Last edited by Larry Waters; September 25, 2011 at 03:15am.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    THis figure absolutely sucks. Between this and that Draegoman is losing everything but his sword, I have decided to pass on the sub for the 30th anniversary figures.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    This is probably the best face-on pic.

Also...I was just looking at him and thinking "Mighty Spector" doesn't seem to fit his look...what could his name mean? Spectre is a ghost or phantom. Then...BINGO! The Phantom! He has the gun, gun holster, is all purple, has the "mask", black boots. Pretty close! He was created in 1936. Could have been inspiration! The names even mean the same thing!

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

This is probably the best face-on pic.

Also...I was just looking at him and thinking "Mighty Spector" doesn't seem to fit his look...what could his name mean? Spectre is a ghost or phantom. Then...BINGO! The Phantom! He has the gun, gun holster, is all purple, has the "mask", black boots. Pretty close! He was created in 1936. Could have been inspiration! The names even mean the same thing!
    I considered that, then remembered that if he were a Phantom rip-off, Billy Zane would simply handcuff him in the master-at-arms office on the Titanic and sink his butt for the rest of us!

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Thirty years from now mighty spector will be the Gwildor of MOTUC.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    Thirty years from now mighty spector will be the Gwildor of MOTUC.
    No need to wait that long.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I'm not so much bothered by the figure. It's the name that gets to me. If what I saw is correct and he's a time traveler, I would have gone with Chronar or even Chrono-man The Heroic (Evil) Masters of Time. I don't know if he's good or evil, but whatever.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

and i thought mo-larr was a bad idea...

p.s. thanks to berserker79

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Is That a mini cosmic key on his wrist?

I'm happy Scott is getting his toy, but I do feel from a business standpoint it will be his toy alone. Spector doesn't have that bizarre larger than life feel that most motu display. He's just a dude in a x-men suit. Perhaps if the colors were tweaked or his gimmick was more obvious he would fit in more.

Ive been a completist thus far but between him, the star sister, even the Griffen(!) they just don't work in my motu world enough to warrant the wallet being open. I think alot of buyers see that mattels sales are slowing a bit to not extend to a grayskull, reissues etc... And were all a bit afraid of keeping investing only to end up with a half complete vintage update line again before pulling the plug. (please note I'm not including she-ra and Na for compairison only because of their release rate thus far)

I don't wanna be the guy that says "uhh I'm not getting my ram man so **** mattel!" , no I wanna be in the camp that can rebuild my childhood army and branch out after, even though mattel I'm sure feels people will drop the line after their done with the old crew, if anything that would leave me hungry for new blood not the other way around . And that's just my opinion, woo woo woo you know it!
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    More Mighty Spector pics!

I think the straight purple is what bothers me most. He needs more colours. Like...if his undies were black and the center part the same colour it is, might help!
    I agree, something is missing and maybe the colours are too bland, need more colours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Terry added the cosmic key wrist device to help fit Spector into the MOTU world. You will learn much more in his bio! On package he will be the "Heroic Master of Time Travel".
    Im really glad he added that device or he would be really plain.

Also people saying there is a conflict of interest as far as Scott making his own toy im sure he had this approved through upper management, i dont care if Scott makes 10 figures as long as they are quality and this one isnt fitting in. Sorry. I just hope this figure is nothing to come for the mini comics storyline.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

So now we have G.I. Joe in MOTUC.

Since it seems like we can incorporate everything in Classics, may as well go all out.

Quote Originally Posted by lorde trooper View Post
    I just hope this figure is nothing to come for the mini comics storyline.
    Golly gosh, I didn't even think of that. Can you imagine if we get to the end of the third comic, all hope is lost and then BAM Spector comes in and saves everyone! "Yay Spector, you are really awesome!"

Now here's a big turn-off
    OMHO the figure itself it's not that "mighty" and seriously, just because he will have a bio, doesn't make him a part of the MOTU mythos, at least for some of us.
    I'm not criticising the liberty of Scott of chosing this figure in anyway. This is just one those cases, where i'm glad i'm not having a 2012 sub. If so I would end up with a unwanted figure that would go straight to the secondary market (probably sold by less that it will cost) or for trading.

Heroic Razor-Edged Weapon Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    Why would it be going too far? He's connected to the history of MOTU in a very big way, just like the 4HM (thought not to as large a degree as them because they also worked on the 200X line). The better question is if getting Geoff Johns - who has never had any connection to MOTU - to make a figure is going too far. All the talent associated with MOTU over the years - Bruce Timm, J.M.S., Paul Dini, Larry D, Bob Forward, even some dude named Val Staples - and they had to go to someone who's never worked an hour on the MOTU franchise?

BTW, for everyone who's complaining he looks like a ninja ... we do have Ninjor in the cast, ya know.
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

GO FORWARD. Please support the Christopher Reeve Foundation by purchasing a set of Superman tags at www.ChristopherReeve.org

If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    I could not agree more...

He's a GREAT brand manager. But this figure and the bios show that creative is not where his talent lies.
    I agree. he's helped make the line grow to a great level, it's the uncontested most successful matty line bar none, thanks in part to what he does behind the scenes (his job description duties) but I don't find him to be a great creative person at all.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Constructively speaking, IMHO I think either Marzo's, Carnivus' or (re-worked) Man-E-Faces' armor would go a long way in making this figure feel more MOTUC; that and making the eye diamond shape smaller. I cannot comment on the character because I have not read the bio, but the figure does not feel like a MOTUC figure at all.
    Matty needs to do pre-orders !!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    Golly gosh, I didn't even think of that. Can you imagine if we get to the end of the third comic, all hope is lost and then BAM Spector comes in and saves everyone! "Yay Spector, you are really awesome!"
    Spector is starting to sound like Shane McCarthy's Drift from Transformers who is also a bad 'super cool and awesome' fan character that became official.

Another sound mattel decision.