Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My MOTUC collection is up for auction to recoup expenses for this site and Power-Con

My MOTUC collection is up for auction to recoup expenses for this site and Power-Con

Hi everyone. First of all, I apologize for this thread, and posting it in the discussion section. I also apologize for the mass PM I sent out about it and hope you'll all forgive me for doing so.

Many of you know who I am. But for those who don't, I'm Val Staples, the owner of He-Man.Org and event director of Power-Con. I've reached a point in my life where, after twenty years of doing what I felt is my part for helping to provide a great online resource and community, as well as working to create a fun convention for He-Man and She-Ra fans, I am asking for some help from all of you.

No one likes going hat-in-hand, but I'm hoping to recoup a small portion of what has gone into providing He-Man.Org and Power-Con. I don't want to go into exact specifics, but years of providing what I hope many fans feel have been great resources and outlets for their fandom has left me tens of thousands of dollars out-of-pocket. I've been very fortunate to have a great career in comics and toys. But a sizable chunk of that income helps me to float the losses or expenses I've put into the brand I love with hopes it brought joy to fans everywhere.

I did all of this by choice, so I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me. We all have obstacles in life to overcome and I know all of you have your own hurdles you face. For me, this is the first time in twenty years that I have ever hosted an auction that benefits me. The last three auctions were 2002, 2004 and 2008. The first helped this site, the second helped repay artists who worked for me on the 200x comic when CrossGen went bankrupt, and the third was again to help this site.

But as much as I love MOTU and POP, and the fan community, it's been hard over the years to keep it all going. I've made a lot of voluntary sacrifices that most fans aren't aware of. And, here in my later years, I realize just how little I've done for myself. For example, I got engaged in 2013 at Power-Con, but I haven't been able to afford a wedding. And I'm not talking anything fancy for a wedding, but all my available finances went back into He-Man.Org and Power-Con. And that's been a bit of a wake-up call. It was easy when it was just me because I didn't mind not having much. But when you're hoping to build a life with someone and possibly even have a family, you quickly learn how priorities need to be balanced better.

I don't have a lot to sell. I've sold off most everything I owned over the years for the prior auctions. But the one thing I do have is a MOTU Classics collection I've been building over the years out of support for the line. I've been subscribing since 2012 (except for Club Grayskull in 2016, as I couldn't afford it), and I've been very fortunate to receive some MOTUC as gifts from fans who knew I didn't have any of the earlier figures. I've been able to enjoy them these past years, but I have to let them go to get back a little bit of my life and hopefully make a small dent in building a new one. I hope fans who gave me those gifts understand, and know I wouldn't part with these if I didn't have to. It means the world to me that some of you think enough of me to have done something so generous as to send me gifts. So thank you.

This is difficult to put out there and I hope you will forgive me for this. I feel I've done right by this fandom for as long as I've been a part of it, and I hope some of you may feel the same way.

So, starting tonight, a friend of mine is selling and shipping my collection for me using the He-ManOrg eBay account, given my crazy schedule with Power-Con coming up, along with Super7 MOTU packaging I'm working on, plus my other work in comics and toys. He's a really good guy and I'm grateful he thinks enough of me to help out like this.

All auctions are starting out at $0.99 per item, and they will go for whatever they go for. Even if you have no interest in bidding to show support, you might want to check them out as my loss could be your gain. Because who knows? Some of these items could go for next to nothing since they are starting for just $0.99 each. And more items will be added throughout the week. Plus, he will also combine shipping for people who win multiple items.
    You can click here to see everything that is up for auction.

I know it's a bit much to suggest, but if bidding on toys isn't your thing, donating to this site could help out as well. Even if it's just $1.00, every bit helps. It will go towards me recouping whatever I can for what had gone into keeping this site alive all these years. If that's something of interest to you, please click here to check out the He-Man.Org donation page.

I have no plans to leave MOTU and POP. I love both brands so much, and I love our community. Even when things have been rocky or there's been differences, participating and contributing to it is an important part of each day for me. So please know I don't expect anything from anyone. I don't want anyone to feel pressured as this is purely voluntary.

No matter what, I appreciate you coming to this site, and supporting Power-Con, and also taking the time to read this message. I hope I can continue to provide you a site and convention for years that you enjoy. I really appreciate all the fans and friends I've been blessed to have in my life all these years. And even if you can't help out with this, thank you for being a He-Man and She-Ra fan.

-Val Staples
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with these auctions!
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    I sincerely wish you the best of luck with these auctions!
    Thank you. I really appreciate that.

Heroic Warrior
    Hey Val,

I know this probably doesn't account for much for the site, but since it is kind of a related topic, does the Amazon link from the site still work so that it can make a tiny bit of money from that?

Quote Originally Posted by ian_highful View Post
    Hey Val,

I know this probably doesn't account for much for the site, but since it is kind of a related topic, does the Amazon link from the site still work so that it can make a tiny bit of money from that?
    I had forgotten about that ad on the main page. It had become invisible to me all these years.
    It wasn't working, but I changed the link so if you click on it, any sale helps out a little bit. And thank you so much for asking!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I had forgotten about that ad on the main page. It had become invisible to me all these years.
    It wasn't working, but I changed the link so if you click on it, any sale helps out a little bit. And thank you so much for asking!!!
    You're welcome. I remembered that I use to use it all the time but hadn't in a while. I will be doing some amazon shopping in a couple of weeks, so I wanted to make sure it would work. Thanks for all you have done, by the way. I should have said that in my first post.

My hubby is a techie geek and offered to help, but he is unsure what help you might need (I think in regards to your PM). In terms of monetary help I would be happy to donate to the site and I am also bidding on Teela I hope your auctions do well!

Carol Ann
    Last edited by IceyCat; June 13, 2017 at 12:05am.

Wow, Val... even your Two-Bad?!?!

I hope that many of these auctions reach their full potential... you have some really desirable items up there, so I wish you the best of luck!
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Already did some bidding, Val! Good Luck!

Heroic Warrior
    Best of luck, Val! I'll put in a bid or two and see how it goes.
    MASS REJECTION
    www.facebook.com/massrejection

Wanted in Collector's Choice:

Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Attack Trak, Hoove, Mini-comics Tri-Klops.

Best of luck on these, Heroic Leader! I'll certainly check them out!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I used that link when I bought the compendium book and plan to use that link again when I order from Amazon next time.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

Good luck with the auction. Can't bid on anything unfortunately because of the international shipping costs.

I'm sure you'll manage to get a fair price for everything.

Sorry to hear you have to go this route, but I understand. As much as I do love Power Con, I don't think anyone should be obligated to incur a lot of debt in order to keep it going year after year.
    Most wanted: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) Masks of Power Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Kittrina, 17) Vizar, 18) Butthead, 19) Nocturna, 20) Melaktha, 21) Stridor, 22) Uncle Montork & Dree-Elle, 23) ABC Giants

Thank you so much everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    I used that link when I bought the compendium book and plan to use that link again when I order from Amazon next time.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    Sorry to hear you have to go this route, but I understand. As much as I do love Power Con, I don't think anyone should be obligated to incur a lot of debt in order to keep it going year after year.
    Breaking even is the goal on Power-Con, and this year is on track to break even. And a couple months after last year's show, I broke even on that and had a small bit extra to give as bonuses to people who helped with the show. It's the prior year shows that I didn't break even.

I hope to make money on it one day, as there's nothing wrong with having your time compensated or getting paid for doing what you love. But the show isn't at that point.

It's why I had to add exclusives, and was fortunate enough to have that option. Without them, a small show like that couldn't survive. It's why shows like BotCon depend so much on exclusives.

Sorry to see you have to sell your collection Val! I'll place a few bids. I hope you make some bank with this. Thanks for all you do for the community!

Most things look to be doing quite well, particularly after only 1 day in a 7 day auction. I'm guessing you're going to end up outperforming the average price of many of these items.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Widget
    Amazed at your dedication, hard work, and love of the property. Amazed. All the same, please do not feel an obligation. If the site is too much of a stress/drain on your finances, time, and/or energy, just put your life/wife/family first, let the site off fade into the sunset, and hold your head high for having run a really cool site for years.

Widget
    Best of luck with the sales! Your dedication to the brand is unparalleled!

I bid on a few items...Is the Sky High / Jet Sled still going to be up for bidding? Looks like the auction was cancelled.

I'm not really able to bid on anything. I have been spending hardcore on MOTUC for the past few months and I think my wife might cut my debit card up if I spend any more. That being said, I hate to see you lose your collection, Val, especially some of the core figures. Have you thought about launching a patreon?
    Tales of Masters of the Universe
    The story of Masters of the Universe - spanning from Skeletor's origin to the final fate of He-Man!
    Masters of the Universe: New Legacy
    Find out what happened after the 200x series! Featuring stories and artwork from throughout the fan community!

WANTED: Spikor, Snake Mountain stands, Wind Raider, and Despara

I'm sorry to see you selling all of these. It's almost ironic you're selling what you're passionate about to keep other's love, communication, and discussion running. While I need only need a Green Granamyr from your auction (alongside a bronze King Grayskull and Battle Armor Faker) to say that I have a complete MOTUC, I'll be going the donation route in July to help out. I'll PM you when I send my support. Thank you for all you do from someone who has only lurked for years until finally getting on these boards. Cheers!
    Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

Good luck with the auctions. I think part of the popularity of Power-Con 2016 besides the exclusives was that it hadn't taken place in a few years. Even Star Wars Celebration doesn't take place every year. With the new MOTU movie coming out in December of 2019 at the earliest, maybe 2018 would be a good you time (i.e., wedding).

All of the items are now up. My friend posted the last of it yesterday evening.
    Thank you SO much to all of you who have, are, and will be bidding on these. I don't really have the words to express how grateful I am.

Good luck with the auction, man. I've got several items on my watch list.

Thank you so much!