Page 1 of 121 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

Here's the official thread for discussing the new MOTU figure The Mighty Spector created by Toyguru for the 30th anniversary line.

Please keep in mind that this thread is for discussing the figure itself. Please do not turn this into a thread about whether or not he should be created, it's creator or anything of the sort.

Thanks!
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

ok, I like very much this figure, its not so motu but...its really nice, and it come with a knife but the 4h still not sculpt. the colours are ok, the face is awesome and the detail of the mini cosmic key are impressive. thumbs up to scott

I like the gun and the left arm... I may consider repainting the extra TG head I have lying around IF I get this figure...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

that fig needs to go back to the drawing board. whether or not it's a copy of a certain marvel character is irrelevant. it's uninspired, unimaginative, and downright boring. it's a guy in a pull over mask. there doesn't appear to be any interesting sculpts and paint going on. the best thing about the figure is the gun and that's pretty sad.

i'm not too sure on the eyes, but this figure has sold me on the mini-sub; going to get it tonight. i love the mini cosmic key-esque thing he has. i loooove time travel story arcs; but i do hope they keep it limited in motu as it doesn't feel like a cornerstone of the motu lore.

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    I want to know if he is the palace guard john spectre turned renegade. Cool concept.

I like 'em! It reminds me of all the crazy crap I used to draw back in elementary school, and that's as nostalgic as any MotU figure. I do wish the guy had some sorta tech armor rather than a harness, but it doesn't bother me that much. The spade and the Comic Key Portable (CKP) are really the highlights for me. The harness would have been even plainer without the spade, so I'm glad it's there; that and the spade also reminds me of being a kid and using favorite symbols on various robot drawings. I used to draw this diamond "S" all over the place!

As for this character: like any other figure in this line, I'll wait to see the bio and use it if I like it. If not, I'll make up my own story (heck, I already am, but I like to wait for the bio to really seal the deal). Either way, I hope they keep up the interesting and crazy designs for the 30th. One way or another, the 30th figures are starting to have this...imaginative appeal. Like it's bringing home the ideas we all had as kids.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

This figure pretty much sums up everything that is wrong with the MOTUC line for me.

And I really don't understand the responses along the lines of "Well, if it was you, wouldn't you dig up your old create-a-character submission from 1987 and put that figure into production?" Hell no! I remember my guy, and he was just as lame as Mighty Spector. In fact, he even looked like Mighty Spector, except his costume was yellow and blue. Why in the world would I possibly think that anyone but myself would want to buy something like that?

My point is this:

1. This is a really dumb figure, even by dumb figure standards. (This coming from a guy that actually liked Wun-dar and Clawful.)

2. Putting this figure into production was a really dumb idea.

3. Dumb ideas like this are going to end up (at best) costing Matty subscriptions, and at worst killing the entire line.

Heroic Warrior andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it's Avatar
    What I really dislike most of this figure is the concept. A time traveler. I don't like much time travels, when you enable time travels in a story then you can really create many problems.
    Yet the MOTU continuity uses time travels. The Preternia minicomic travel in the past, the search for Keldor. The New adventures line begins with skeletor that escapes in the Future in Trisolar system.

Now it should really be a MIGHTY character to be a time traveller, or just a guy from another UNIVERSE that accidentaly land on Eternia in the time of the battles between heman and skeletor.

I don't like a ELDER or a figure important as a COSIMC WARRIOR to be introduced that way.

By the way, WHY he show the spade symbol of the Earth poker cards?
    This ruins a lot the credibility of the characther.

It seems that the diamonds simbol also are used on his eyes, but I may be wrong.

I think if he had different armor he would feel more like a MOTUC figure and less like an X-Men. Perhaps a repaint of Stinkor's armor or a similar armor to Man-E-Faces. It will be interesting to see what photoshoppers and customizers will do with this one. I also think making the eyes smaller diamonds would make it a bit more MOTUC.

BTW does anyone have a scan of the body parts from the create a character activity in issue 2 of the MOTU magazine ... I think one of the characters there had a holster.
    Last edited by Marek; September 25, 2011 at 01:49pm.
    Matty needs to do pre-orders !!

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    In fact, he even looked like Mighty Spector, except his costume was yellow and blue. Why in the world would I possibly think that anyone but myself would want to buy something like that?
    Because there are plenty of people out there buying simplistic figures and are just interested in toys in general. One thing I love doing is going to the dollar store every so often and finding the cheap and crazy robots they chuck out there. Got one recently that has one button you press to hear a good 20 seconds of crazy screetching and beebing gun/laser noises and GOOD GOD it's hilarous!! If you brought out a toy of your simple design that you made as a kid, I'd be at least interested to see it. Heck, I wouldn't mind a thread dedicated to people's old drawings! A toyline completely made of insane kid drawings brought to life would be pretty interesting to me.

So there, that's how at least one person could possibly wana buy something like that. I like toys, and I've always liked toys. This Spector guy is a simplistic and obviously old-fashioned kid-made toy, and that's pretty much the reason why I like it.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I do think the figure is cool enough.Maybe his unsculpted knife would make it better and maybe a backpack perhaps...or just make the knife into a really nasty looking gun

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    Not a fan of the Mighty Spector. I dislike the spade design because it really just doesn't fit with the rest of the concept. I also don't like the marks near the eyes. A different pattern instead of the current ones would really help get rid of the Deadpool comparisons.

If those two parts were changed I would start to like this character a bit more.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    It will be interesting to see what photoshoppers and customizers will do with this one.
    No photoshop can save this guy

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    A toyline completely made of insane kid drawings brought to life would be pretty interesting to me.

So there, that's how at least one person could possibly wana buy something like that. I like toys, and I've always liked toys. This Spector guy is a simplistic and obviously old-fashioned kid-made toy, and that's pretty much the reason why I like it.
    Poetry. I couldn't agree more.

Not a fan of this one!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

I actually think he's a cool looking figure on his own. I dig the colors, the gun, the armor. I just wonder how he's going to fit with MOTUC. That is my problem with him. A spade symbol is a very Earth-like symbol to have. I don't know if the diamonds over the eyes are intentionally card referenced or not. Perhaps they are planning on this guy actually coming from Earth to Eternia through time travel or a dimensional gate. Maybe he has some connection to Queen Marlena.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    He is at any rate a lot better then the Star Sisters, lol!
    Like the gun and cosmic-key armband

I don't hate him, but he simply doesn't interest me. He looks dull, the spade emblem makes no sense, and I don't see much use for him in my collection.

I am interested in reading his bio though, which hopefully won't make him too overpowered. His tagline "Heroic Master of Time Travel" already makes him sound like he's going to play a pivotal role in the storyline.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    that fig needs to go back to the drawing board. whether or not it's a copy of a certain marvel character is irrelevant. it's uninspired, unimaginative, and downright boring. it's a guy in a pull over mask. there doesn't appear to be any interesting sculpts and paint going on. the best thing about the figure is the gun and that's pretty sad.
    I've been going with the comic book look rip-off thoughts, but I think you hit the nail on the head. This figure is boring. And since he is blah, he's out of place in MOTU.

I like the figure.

Out of place in a past/future world?? nothing is really out of place in MOTU.
    No less different than Kazar running around manhatten.

It's a terrible design that utterly fails to fit in with the eclectic nature of Masters of the Universe. On one level, it's amazing that a figure could achieve such a feat. Unfortunately, it also manages to be the most polarizing figure in the modern line. The reveal has cost Mattel subscription sales, which is the opposite of what it should have accomplished.

obviously there are ALOT of mixed emotions...
    to be honest i am SURPRISED to see as much love for this character and how many people are really liking it and supporting it....

i really do not understand it though... i am really, REALLY unimpressed by the character....however i am happy for all those who like him...not to sound like a jerk but i just do not see him being very popular...

----------------------
    i think the greatest problem here is that I thought this 30th anniv. line was going to be something really special with chaxters being created by yhose that have been doing toy design for years...

on one hand we have photog... which has reached legendary standards...the story in itself is in itself worthy of being made into plastic espically with the idea of a new contest being held...

on the same hand is a character design by basically the what you can call the rockstars of the toy business the four horseman..when they showed this design i think it really impressed everyone...

still on the same hand we have a promise of a chacter that Geoff Johns a man KNOWN to have shaking things up and help introduce so many NEW characters to one of the longest running and well known companies in comic book history....

so you have basically 4 really wonderful and promisng NEW editions to the MOTU universe...

now you have "SPECTOR" a character created by a brand manger at mattel..

now i for one was really excited for the mattel disigned figures at first ... i mean look at waht some of the stuff they do there...i know i loved stuff like battle force 5, max steel,and their sculpters and fabricators at mattel have done some amazing things over the years...

i really thought that the plan was is to get some of these wonderful creative talents and design a vision of what and ARTIST today would do in creating a new chacter for this mythos...

i actually like the idea of a time traveling sorta "anti" bow from pop spy character...it is actually a really great idea to explore IMO... i would have taken the orginal design from when he was a kid and given the artists at mattel and let them do their magic with design and i think we COULD have had something really really special..that was inspired by a very young toyguru....

but as it stands it has a feeling that the BOSS said i want you to make this and there was no one there to tell him no...

i really feel that the design is very unimaginative, uninspired, and poorly executed....

once again let me say if you love this figure i could not be happier for you but as for myself i feel more than a bit let down...
    Last edited by gatchagrey; September 25, 2011 at 02:39pm.
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Hot damn! I think he's going to come with Draego-Man's fire whip attachment...but in green!

Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

The only thing I find interesting in this figure is the cosmic key wrist thingy. The problem is, it doesn't really seem to fit with the rest of the figure - it's way more detailed than anything this figure has to offer.

The problems I have:
    1. It looks very bland with the large single-colored surface
    2. The armor... the yellow... it... it just looks cheap.
    3. I do not see the spade fitting the time travel theme
    4. I do not see the time travel theme fitting the name
    5. I do not see the name fitting the spade