Page 4 of 121 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

how about a version with a red harness.. to match the highlights
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

I don't like him, I've said so before, I'm not getting a 30th sub now. not BECAUSE I don't like this character, but because he made me realize I may not like any 30th figure outside of Drago- Man. Anyway I've never been a fan of characters with this design either. I'd guess the closest that I like would be Batman Beyond. but his design never quite grew on me, it's that the show was done so well.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    I'm open-minded on this one. Not sure about the 'mighty' part or the spade, but I think he's much more MOTU than the Star Sisters, Optikk or Slush Head. He reminds me a little of Webstor. The colouring is good.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    *Adding Marvel's Constrictor to list of comic characters this figure combines*...

I'm all for diversity in the line. And I would even love to see the Meteorbs re-done here. But this character doesn't work for me at all. Since I'm gonna get the figure through the sub, I'm most likely gonna use Bow's non-mustache head and a couple Weapons Pak items to turn Spector into something that at least kind of fits into my display.
    Fantastic idea!

Could this have been inspiration for Mighty Spector?

I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember, but here are the 2 pages of example characters for the 1985 Create a Character Contest from the vintage MOTU magazines. If you look at the second page, you can see body parts that could have inspired ToyGuru for his creation. And on the 3rd "mock up" page, you can see what a few color changes and additions can do. So what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    1. Really? Because an elephant helmet firefighter, a neck extending guy, a guy with a tire on his stomach? What is so dumb about Spector?
    What's dumb about Spector in MOTU? he doesn't DO anything. A neck-extending guy in a line that essentially introduced action features, same with a Snout SPout and Dragstor. they all fit in MOTU because they were something, Spector is just a dude in a leotard. there isn't any imagination to the character, Even He-Man as a barbarian design, he focused on the twist waist punch feature and though his design is just a barbarian, it's a cool look and concept. Spector feel like a creation of someone who wasn't that good at drawing or coming up with details. Again personally I'm not a fan of these full body suit characters, I don't mind a mask that covers an entire face but give me detailing to make it look interesting.

I mean for those that dig the character I mean honestly like him rather than being contrary to some venom or loving anything MOTU just because, that's great, more power to you, but the guys that existed in the MOTU line prior to MOTUC all fit into a certain design philosophy, yes it was and is a very diverse line, but there was always something extra to make the figure unique to Eternia. Spector lacks that something.
    Last edited by krosfyah; September 25, 2011 at 06:41pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Interesting. Nice find!

Gorilla beastussapien Beastmangler's Avatar
    Very interesting...

wow Very interesting
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

could be. I said in another thread the face design feels like a decision from someone who couldn't draw details (faces) very well. I mean whether or not this was Scott's template is irrelevant, it doesn't make me like or loathe the character's design any more or less. it actually illustrates what I dislike about it, as the pieces in this scan show some very cool ideas, and Spector has none of them.

Fear is faith in failure

1. Really? Because an elephant helmet firefighter, a neck extending guy, a guy with a tire on his stomach? What is so dumb about Spector?

2. Really? I like it and I'm buying a few 30th Anniversary subs, and even if I wasn't I'd buy this figure

3. So the line is now ending because a brand new character in an alternate sub is being produced??? Makes sense. Whatever.

Now as for my take on Spector, I love and I mean love masked/helmeted characters (Deadpool, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Boba Fett, Stormtroopers, Snake Eyes, Black Manta, Dr Doom, Baron Zemo, etc.) they have always been very visually appealling to me for some reason? So I like the look, he is very Deadpool esque which I don't mind. The more I see of him the more I like the figure. Cool gun, great arm cosmic key accessory, and that art makes him that much cooler hope we get those green electric/fire accessories.
    Which would be all fine and good if this was a Marvel comic book line, which it is not, it is not Star Wars, GI Joe, Fantastic 4 or X-Men, it is Master of the Universe. And most people are saying, whether you like the figure or not, it looks out of place in this line, the closest thing in MOTU history that he even remotely looks like is those comet guys from like the second or third Filmation episode. I don't knock the figure, it's OK to me, not one that screams "BUY ME NOW!" and I won't, because I,me, myself....I don't like, and I am entitled just as anyone else who doesn't like it is entitled not to. Just because someone turns blue in the face defending something won't make someone who really doesn't like that something to change their mind.

And to your....
    #1)...those characters have been part of the lines since the 80's we all know them, like them or not, they are there, they are not new figure / character that not only looks out of place, but actually looks and feels to belong in another line entirely, that already exists, and has existed for many years...your answer is opinion, not mine, not anyone else, just because someone likes something someone else doesn't, why does there have to be a death match over the crap?, it's stupid, like it, you like it, you don't, you don't.... get over it, people need to quit knocking others for their opinions, it's childish.

Granted a lot of people need to tone down their emotions behind their opinions in the first place, they are your opinions, not necessarily someone else's, a lot of us are in our 30's right?, come on take some Ritalin, lay off the 5 Hour Energy, and chill.

#2) Not everyone wants a sub..30th or not, people need to get over that too, buying a sub doesn't make anyone better than someone who doesn't, it doesn't give anyone the right to poke at or down someone who don't buy one. People are entitled to spend their money however they like, not the way someone else thinks they should....unless you're married to that other someone.....that is.

#3) OK one figure every once in a while will not kill the line, if more and more figures produced are unliked over and over again, then that is another story entirely.

No one can have an opinion around here that contradicts someone else's, that is pretty sad, they are only toys, and we are mostly all adults here, I mean come on.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; September 25, 2011 at 07:13pm.

I think it's just the armour (too much yellow maybe?) He could be cool but I'm just not feeling the figure/concept as is.

For me, his holster/leg strap is what deviates him from MOTU most of all and the armour is just too "meh". The spade is not my thing either as I can't disassociate it from poker. Sorry TG.

Here's a quick mock-up of what I think could change him for the better (even if it's ever-so-slightly.) Props to the .org member who posted the create-a-character sheet stuff.

* I feel something could be done for his head but I wasn't sure what to do in the few minutes I put this together. Maybe a Fisto-esque headband thing? I don;t know... just something with a small splash of colour.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

My DeviantART

i cannot wait for the ask matty sessions when questions about this figure are in abundance...actually after all that is happening with the subs...ghostbusters cancelled... dcu sub controversy...etc
    this was a great way to get focus off those other issues

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"

I would go with a silver harnass or red harnass to match the boots/highlights.

Im diggin the laser whip, I still think a small "pocket watch" on a chain that doubles as a morning star would be sweet and fit perfectly with the time feature, maybe have the watch attach to the spade area on the chest? idk, the whip is a huge improvement.

with that said, and this is gonna sound like blasphemy here, but i really just don't care about Illumina, i feel like she's bein shoved down my throat by fans, and is just as "MoTUC" to me as Spector is, not more, not less, and strikes a very similar appearance to that of Princess Tyrande Whisperwind from Warcraft, who coincidentally is usually seen with her pet tiger. Just saying, EVERYTHING is based off of or similar to something else. as I have been saying all along i have no problem with spector being a character, its a fine character and that outfit works for SOOOOOO many popular superheroes, he is just missing that one stand out element that makes HIM unique
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    what is new or different about this figure?
    Which character in MOTU does he resemble? And I was talking in general about the 30th anniversary figures, but this being Tuyguru's design people are out with venom.

Wow, that actually makes Spector even cooler to me! I cannot wait for his Bio!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

here is a great example of what i think the problem is...
    just on this page alone 2 ARTISTS i really respect on this board (iceman and sllocin) both of whom have an excellent understanding of character design...can see the flaws in this design...and go to show with some very simple changes....(removal of the yellow and the spade_ we COULD still get a pretty cool figure

Maybe he'll get the pink Zodak armor and staff.

Which character in MOTU does he resemble? And I was talking in general about the 30th anniversary figures, but this being Tuyguru's design people are out with venom.
    but what is new or different about him? i mean, yeah, he doesn't look like any motuc fig, but he looks a lot like another character.

if you knew anything about me, you'd know i don't hold any ill will towards TG. i've defended him in the past. in fact, before he made the mighty spector, i thought he deserved to make a 30th fig...but now that i've seen it...well...i'm changing my mind on that.

my opinion on the mighty spector figure is based on the mighty spector figure. i could care less who created him.

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    Maybe he'll get the pink Zodak armor and staff.
    that might look cool....pink is a much better choice then yellow for this figure..

here is my version of a fixed Spector

Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

My thoughts:

-Time Travel=Awesome. I love it, and the inclusion of a mini-cosmic key is stellar!

-Laser Pistol=Super Aweome; it looks like old Ralph McQuarrie SW stuff.

-Use of the old Create-A-Character sheets=Very nifty!

-Spade Design=Why not? We have precedent with letters showing up on He-Ro, a maltese cross on He-Man himself, and the Wonder Bread dots on Wun-Dar!

-Scooter being the Designer=Wheee! I'm a big TG fan, so hex-yeah!

I look forward to adding the Mighty Spector to my Classics Collection! I can't wait for the Bio; I think he's going to be Lt. Spector.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

oh i like the tiger guy and robot girl

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

I really don't care the logistics behind the creation of this figure. All I know that the figure is lame. There is no bio in the world that could make it a cool figure.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    I'm thinking that is likely the case. It looked familiar, besides the obvious. No doubt the pieces shown influenced Scott's design.
    I love an all inclusive canon!