Page 14 of 121 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Something about him reminds me of Zen: The Intergalactic Ninja.

Weird.
    I thought that, too.
    Does Galactus fart?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post

But, then again I'm mature enough to realize that each and every figure isn't made just for lil' old ME and accept them as they are, designed by a TEAM of individuals to appeal to a wide range of fans.
    i realize that too. but i don't feel i HAVE to like everything. if you do, that's fine. i mean, do you take the same approach to everything in life? movies? tv? comic books?

Any other view is just selfish.

IMO.
    uh, ok. if it's selfish to express your own honest opinion which means i don't like EVERYTHING, then yeah, i'm selfish.

I hope they leave Spector as he is...just to annoy certain people.
    Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Is that the reason why you seem to unconditionally love everything Mattel does?
    YEP!
    So you DO make your 'Leave Matty alone!' posts in every thread just to annoy people who are more discerning. Fair enough.

But, then again I'm mature enough to realize that each and every figure isn't made just for lil' old ME and accept them as they are, designed by a TEAM of individuals to appeal to a wide range of fans.
    Designed by a team? I guess the two people who created Deadpool are a team. A team at Marvel. Nice work, Rob Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza!

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...I dislike ILLUMINA!!!!

...Bwahahaha!!! Just KIDDING, seriously! I like Illumina, thought it was a nifty design & concept and Hope it does someday get made...

Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    Designed by a team? I guess the two people who created Deadpool are a team. A team at Marvel. Nice work, Rob Liefeld and Fabian Nicieza!
    ah, come on man. lets keep the discussion about the figure. TG said he created it in 1982, which would be before the creation of deadpool, and i for one am willing to take him at his word.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    If you like to gamble, I tell you he's the man, you win some lose some, it's all the same to him.
    OMG you just made him even more awesome. That's gona be his theme song, and he's gona be time traveling, sliding on his side, and shooting badguys all at the same time - THROUGH time.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    i realize that too. but i don't feel i HAVE to like everything. if you do, that's fine. i mean, do you take the same approach to everything in life? movies? tv? comic books?

uh, ok. if it's selfish to express your own honest opinion which means i don't like EVERYTHING, then yeah, i'm selfish.
    Reread my post. What I meant is...it's selfish for anyone to even EXPECT to like EVERYTHING. That means they basically expect everything to be tailor made the way THEY want. THAT is what's selfish.

Of course there are things I don't like about some of the figures, and some I like less than others. The difference is, I just ACCEPT that they weren't tailor made for ME and move on, instead of complaining about it constantly and repeatedly.

Example...MOLARR. I really hated him, so I just didn't buy him. Simple as that.
    I didn't post over and over again how stupid he was, or that he was a waste of plastic, or that he took up another, better figure's slot...but I know lots of folks here who DID post stuff like that.
    Last edited by Skeletortilla; September 26, 2011 at 08:50pm.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

the more i look at him the less i like this fig

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Quote Originally Posted by beastor View Post
    It's a good thing Rotar and Twistoid were not first announced as part of the classics line because they would have never fit in with the look and feel of the MOTU universe .
    I can't wait for Rotar and Twistoid! Especially if the 4H add the detachable legs that have been proposed. And if Toyguru keeps his word, we'll eventually see them offered along with all the other classic characters.

In my opinion, EVERY single MOTU character that was released between 1982-1988 "fits in" to the line. Even at their goofiest (Snout Spout, Rotar/Twistoid, the Meteorbs) they had that trademark gimmick action feature that made MOTU what it is. Hell, even Ninjor could at least do a karate chop! And the movie characters, which I've never been able to warm up to, at least have a 25 year legacy behind them. A quarter century is a long time to get used to a figure "fitting in" to the MOTU legacy.

Of course, none of this can be said for poor old Spector. What's his past history with the rest of the line? "The marketing director created him in 1982" doesn't count. What's his gimmick? "******* off the 30th Anniversary Subscribers" doesn't count. Where's his trademark MOTU "larger than life" design that screams from the package "BUY ME!!!!!!"? Nowhere that I can see.

On the other hand, this figure is a good candidate for customizers that want to recreate an epic Deadpool vs. Taskmasker battle with the help of a spare Skeletor.

After reading Eric Treadway's interview at the Fwoosh, it's obvious that he has a tremendous amount of respect and reverence for MOTU and all its fans. He approached the task of adding a new character to the mythos seriously and put forth his utmost effort.

I expected Mattel to do the same with its two characters. I was disappointed and actually surprised when I realized that didn't happen with their first character. I know Toy Guru also has a great deal of love and respect for MOTU. I don't disagree with Toy Guru creating a figure. I just disagree with the choice of Spector. It was time for Mattel to bring their A game. It wasn't the time to indulge a childhood fantasy. Mattel and Toy Guru should have put forth more effort and added a truly meaningful character that would have blown away the fans.

MOTU is what is today due to the contributions of so many people. I know if Val and Emiliano had been given a slot they wouldn't have disappointed us. It would have been an intelligent public relations move on Mattel's part too. As it stands, Mattel is really blowing the opportunities presented by the 30th anniversary figures.

Other than the spade, I think it's a great and cool looking looking figure.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    After reading Eric Treadway's interview at the Fwoosh, it's obvious that he has a tremendous amount of respect and reverence for MOTU and all its fans. He approached the task of adding a new character to the mythos seriously and put forth his utmost effort.

I expected Mattel to do the same with its two characters. I was disappointed and actually surprised when I realized that didn't happen with their first character. I know Toy Guru also has a great deal of love and respect for MOTU. I don't disagree with Toy Guru creating a figure. I just disagree with the choice of Spector. It was time for Mattel to bring their A game. It wasn't the time to indulge a childhood fantasy. Mattel and Toy Guru should have put forth more effort and added a truly meaningful character that would have blown away the fans.

MOTU is what is today due to the contributions of so many people. I know if Val and Emiliano had been given a slot they wouldn't have disappointed us. It would have been an intelligent public relations move on Mattel's part too. As it stands, Mattel is really blowing the opportunities presented by the 30th anniversary figures.
    thank you...this is EXACTLY the way i feel
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

OK, after hearing the Spector section of the walkthrough with TG, he NEEDS a second Helmetless TOYGURU HEAD!! cause it would look better than the masked head...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    Guys, guys... don't sweat it!!!
    If you have an extra Skeletor head, an extra Keldor cape, and mod Skelly's or Faker's armor, this figure actually would look badass!!

I give you,

"TIME TRAVELER SKELETOR"
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/pict...ictureid=14406

HAHAHA, this has got to be the single best suggestion/comment in this entire thread, hahaha! I love it. I can't believe I actually prefer and want THIS version instead....well, yes I can, haha!

I have to admit, what you say here makes a lot of good sense. And while I know a part of me excepts Spector the the fun it was supposed to be, the other half of me agrees completely with this very opinion. And this part is growing stronger and starting to take over.
    Last edited by King Tamusk; September 26, 2011 at 11:14pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If he's meant to be an intergalactic time traveller - then sci-fi him up a bit! More gadgets and tech-filled armour like most of the NA figures. Put a clock somewhere!

If he's meant to be a superhero - then superhero him up! Give him a cape, give him a big emblem on his chest (but not a spade, I beg you!) and give him an alter ego!

If he's meant to be a gambler - then cowboy him up! Give him a cowboy hat, a space poncho and cyber-spurs. Make him Rio Blast's nemesis!

If he's meant to be an assassin/spy - then espionage him up! Give him a sniper rifle, a backpack, a row on knives strapped to his leg, an executioners hood, etc.

Right now the Mighty Spector is caught between these four archetypes and is all the weaker for it. Pick a theme and go all out with it!

In my opinion.
    "The boyy is dangerous. They all sense it, why can't you?"

http://jediboyy.pawnbrand.com/
    http://jediboyy.deviantart.com/

When he was first revealed at the panel I didn't know what to think. I'll admit, it was like a DCUC slide got mixed in with the rest. But then I saw him in person, and it grew on me. I actually think Purple and Yellow can be a nice mix. Efforts for people to edit that out on here haven't really done it for me. I think the pop of color is effective and actually more "MOTU" than making him more monochromatic.

If I were designing it, I might have made the yellow holster gold and have re-thought the red on purple of the eyes. Maybe it's just the exact colors they used but it has a sort of unpleasant "vibration" effect that happens with some color combinations. I will say this is much less pronounced in real-life when you view the figure though. Heck, I might have just left the red off.

But I didn't design it, so I look at what we have and judge it on what's there. I really liked the sketch Higuchi did and I realized one of the things I like so much about it is that the holster isn't so huge. I think that's one thing that's throwing me off a bit. Right now it looks like the over-sized holsters you see on a Marvel Universe figure. Maybe that's just for the proto? Also, I think the idea of the energy knife and whip are very cool.

I still want to know what's up with that spade though! I REALLY hope they explain that in the bio.

For some strange reason... Mighty Spector reminds me of Lodar.

I like the energy whip and blade attachment to his cosmic key gauntlet. Just upped him to even cooler.

I myself am a bit at odds with the spade, would like a bio explination of this, but am not that worried.

I actually really like his harness. Sets him appart from most others, but many others have a harness of some sort.

Really curious about his face. No eyes at all? LIke beind a cloth mask? Or sculpted eyes, but not separately painted?

I think I'm going to like him. Anyone who doesnt is because they arent wearing nostalgia glasses. Which is fine

But I'm trying to picture a time hopping agent back in those stories, and I can picture it. And I like it. Kinda pops up at weird times, and never really is on the same timeframe as everyone else. Like Dr. Who.

Still waiting for the bio, hope it hits it home. Alot of possible fans can be created from a good bio.

The whole face looks like Spawn. And thatīs ALWAYS good!

Iīm sold on the figure. Especially after having seen PDs interview with Scott. He took more time explaining The mighty Spector than all the other reveals together. He really loves his creation, and for everything Scott has done to make MOTUC the line we have, he deserves to be this lucky.

I feel bad for everybody that doesnīt like the character but have to buy it via the subs, but at the same time I might be able to shoot me some cheap doubles on the secondary market for customizing. And that cosmic key weapon is gorgeous!
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

I actually like the figure; I was on the fence at first but the figure has really grown on me over the past few days. The small background Scott gave, thanks to Dan, has peaked my interest.

I completely agree with this post.

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    OK, after hearing the Spector section of the walkthrough with TG, he NEEDS a second Helmetless TOYGURU HEAD!! cause it would look better than the masked head...
    Yet another post I completely agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Two excellent examples over the last 2 pages of how to make this figure not swim in the river of suckitude!
    Not the most diplomatic way to put it but I also share this mans sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIboyy View Post
    If he's meant to be an intergalactic time traveller - then sci-fi him up a bit! More gadgets and tech-filled armour like most of the NA figures. Put a clock somewhere!

If he's meant to be a superhero - then superhero him up! Give him a cape, give him a big emblem on his chest (but not a spade, I beg you!) and give him an alter ego!

If he's meant to be a gambler - then cowboy him up! Give him a cowboy hat, a space poncho and cyber-spurs. Make him Rio Blast's nemesis!

If he's meant to be an assassin/spy - then espionage him up! Give him a sniper rifle, a backpack, a row on knives strapped to his leg, an executioners hood, etc.

Right now the Mighty Spector is caught between these four archetypes and is all the weaker for it. Pick a theme and go all out with it!

In my opinion.
    Little things do go a long way. It would only make sense to follow the philosophy in this post seeing as Spector seems like a hot mess in all facets.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    When he was first revealed at the panel I didn't know what to think. I'll admit, it was like a DCUC slide got mixed in with the rest. But then I saw him in person, and it grew on me. I actually think Purple and Yellow can be a nice mix. Efforts for people to edit that out on here haven't really done it for me. I think the pop of color is effective and actually more "MOTU" than making him more monochromatic.

If I were designing it, I might have made the yellow holster gold and have re-thought the red on purple of the eyes. Maybe it's just the exact colors they used but it has a sort of unpleasant "vibration" effect that happens with some color combinations. I will say this is much less pronounced in real-life when you view the figure though. Heck, I might have just left the red off.

But I didn't design it, so I look at what we have and judge it on what's there. I really liked the sketch Higuchi did and I realized one of the things I like so much about it is that the holster isn't so huge. I think that's one thing that's throwing me off a bit. Right now it looks like the over-sized holsters you see on a Marvel Universe figure. Maybe that's just for the proto? Also, I think the idea of the energy knife and whip are very cool.

I still want to know what's up with that spade though! I REALLY hope they explain that in the bio.

I wanna like this fig so bad but so far I just cant. BTW the spade is like the icing on the sucky cake of Spector's design,
    Last edited by CocoaSmooth; September 27, 2011 at 05:55am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    The whole face looks like Spawn. And thatīs ALWAYS good!

Iīm sold on the figure. Especially after having seen PDs interview with Scott. He took more time explaining The mighty Spector than all the other reveals together. He really loves his creation, and for everything Scott has done to make MOTUC the line we have, he deserves to be this lucky.

I feel bad for everybody that doesnīt like the character but have to buy it via the subs, but at the same time I might be able to shoot me some cheap doubles on the secondary market for customizing. And that cosmic key weapon is gorgeous!
    This is basically how I feel. I like that the mighty spector is linked to john spector. This was a question of mine in an earlier thread.

I would hate to be scott right now. People just tearing him up saying its an abuse of power that he is getting his figure made. Well I'm happy for him.

And we do need an alternate toyguru head for the mighty spector!

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    1. Really? Because an elephant helmet firefighter, a neck extending guy, a guy with a tire on his stomach? What is so dumb about Spector?

2. Really? I like it and I'm buying a few 30th Anniversary subs, and even if I wasn't I'd buy this figure

3. So the line is now ending because a brand new character in an alternate sub is being produced??? Makes sense. Whatever.
    1. Really....You compared Spector to these much greater characters and designs???

3. Its quite possible that this guy just might not sell and quite possibly set the line back. Here is hoping Mattel is smart and under produce this character. Spector the only reason so far that have made me start to understand why Cherry Pickers Pick.
    Last edited by CocoaSmooth; September 27, 2011 at 07:28am.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Illustrator for Hire Prince He-Dude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
    For the jealousy coments out there... How many people have NOT submitted a "Create-a-character" concept, who also think this figure is garbage?

I'm one of them. Although I am an artist, I just never submitted a design. So, in essence, no competition=no jealousy. Just a serious lack of beleif that this idea made it into a figure I have to buy if i want a complete collection.

I would have been laughing if Bandai made this character, but Mattel? C'mon.
    I would LOVE to enter the "Creat-A-Character" contest and imho i could....actually scratch that... I HAVE designed a cool concept for a character. The only problem is MATTY is not allowing international fans the chance to enter.
    HEROIC ILLUSTRATOR FOR HIRE!
    My Webcomic:
    http://juviescomic.blogspot.com/

My DeviantArt page:
    http://kaos2007.deviantart.com/

www.kaosproduktionstudios.com