Page 15 of 121 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

Maybe they should tweak the purple he has to a shade nearer to blue, then give him an extra head ala the unmade WindRaider pilot. That way, everybody's happy

Quote Originally Posted by Smashtoys View Post
    Maybe they should tweak the purple he has to a shade nearer to blue, then give him an extra head ala the unmade WindRaider pilot. That way, everybody's happy
    I think he should come with two heads. Even the "Lt Spector" head, with a repainted helmet to match the figure (silver or metalic purple), would be cool.

As for the masked head (as my avatar now shows), adding green eyes to the mask would look good! Simple, but effective
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; September 27, 2011 at 08:07am.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I think he should come with two heads. Even the "Lt Spector" head, with a repainted helmet to match the figure (silver or metalic purple), would be cool.
    Oh, great idea. Iīve got some doubles of that head. So if one wonīt be included, Iīll just repaint one
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    You're kidding right?
    Well, as other posters have pointed out, you do have a habit of coming into threads, pointing ire at people for expressing their opinions of figures, and throwing out antagonistic comments like the one from this thread. Don't claim to be mature and then make a comment intended to troll your fellow posters.

If you want to be constructive and don't like what people say about the figure, engage them with well thought-out counterpoints and develop a discussion. "I'm going to like him, regardless of what anyone else says, so NYAH NYAH" is not constructive.

You say that there are aspects of figures you don't like, but you keep them to yourself. That's not how an open forum works, and it's not particularly helpful. Honest, legitimate criticism shouldn't be stifled. Yes, the droning complaints about every little thing get old. No argument here. As does the stonewalling of discourse.

Here, I'll get you started. Some of the most vocal complaints about the figure are that it comes off as bland and that he has the look of a knockoff 90's comic superhero. Do you agree or disagree? You mentioned that you thought he needed a cape. Do you think that will make him more interesting? Do you think that would make him look more "superhero-ish", furthering the earlier complaint?

C'mon. Discuss. I know it's more difficult than "I will love it, so NYAH NYAH", but I promise you, it will be more interesting. In my opinion.
    Last edited by Prince Adam's Dad; September 27, 2011 at 10:39am.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

I've taken a few days to digest The Mighty Spector. My instant reaction when I first saw the figure was a definite 'ugh' as the 90's super hero costume elements jumped out at me.

Now i've thought over a few days, as well as having watched Pixel Dan's walkthrough with Toyguru, i'm really warming up to him. The spade symbol on his chest is cool and makes him unique, and I also like the cosmic key gauntlet that powers his suit. I think he'll fit in nicely with my other MOTUC figures and has a distinct look.

With a good story behind him, The Mighty Spector could become pretty awesome. I used to hate Zodac and thought he looked uninspiring, but the 200X cartoon made me love Zodak, and as a result Zodac also become a favourite. If we get new MOTU media then I wouldn't be against seeing Toyguru's creation in it.

I took a couple of days to make up my mind about the Mighty Spector. I have no problems with Toyguru designing one of the figures. He is quite passionate about the line and despite all the negative things that happen here and then I think he is doing a great job overall.
    The design of the figure is allright I guess. I think a superhero does not look more out of place then a Ninja or a Cyborg Sheriff in MOTU. The figure itself is a little bit bland but after looking at Pixel Dan's video I quite like the accesories the figure has.
    However I do not like the paintjob at all. The card symbol is totally distracting and the red symbols on the eyes look weird as well. I think these two aspects of the figure make it look the most like a child's design to me. Only a child would put some random meaningless symbols on a figure because they thought it looked cool. At this point Toyguru should have realized that it would have been better to deviate from his childhood design in order to make the best figure possible instead of sticking to childrens concept just to make his childhood dream come true. A different color for the body and the harness might have worked better too.
    The second thing I do not like is that this figure will tie in some loose ends in the MOTUC story. I think he is allright enough to be a minor character in the overall mythos but he is neither as a character nor as a figure strong enough to become a key player in the MOTU universe.
    To summarize I think the figure is not so bad and all the hatred against it or its creator does not seem to be justified to me. However it is not very good either and I wish there was still time to make some changes to the paintjob and the story of this guy. Anyway while I do not hate this figure I do not plan on buying it either.
    Last edited by hauke; September 29, 2011 at 12:42pm.
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

I don't hate the figure, but i certainly don't love it either. I think some changes would make it a lot more appeling to others as well.

As others have stated before, perhaps updating the childhood design a little with all of Scott's experience would be a little more important than just having a life long dream realized. I think the many images people have posted of the Deadpool costume variations more than validates an update to the chest harness. I don't get the point of the spade icon, but maybe because all i can see is an X-men harness, and not MOTU armor.

I hope there is time for some amount of changes to the armor, and hopefully something can be done to differentiate the mask as well. I am forced to get the fig due to the sub, but would imagine I would pass on it if it was a day of option. Please lets see if we can get some changes made in time!

Thanks guys!
    Proud member of the Arizona MAZTERS since 2003

I think I'd like the figure better if the armor were a tad different... I'm not opposed to the idea or the name or his role in MOTUC or anything like that... just that the armor itself with the spade and not much else, it just looks too random. The holster with the energy bullets or whatnot that power the gun and the cosmic key wristband is VERY cool... but the chest part of the armor I would tweak some.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    After watching the Power-Con video with Scott, I find myself warming up to figure more - in a very specific way. It feels to me like it's there to represent all those countless broken dreams of children who sent their designs in but failed to make it among the finalists. A sort of counterpoint for the Fearless Photog. It doesn't make the design itself any more exciting, but gives it a fitting justification as part of the line.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Met-Hild View Post
    It feels to me like it's there to represent all those countless broken dreams of children who sent their designs in but failed to make it among the finalists.
    True, he really is the personnification of failure
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    True, he really is the personnification of failure
    Ok, now that's pretty funny.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaSmooth View Post
    1. Really....You compared Spector to these much greater characters and designs???

3. Its quite possible that this guy just might not sell and quite possibly set the line back. Here is hoping Mattel is smart and under produce this character. Spector the only reason so far that have made me start to understand why Cherry Pickers Pick.
    You honestly think Spector is a worse character design than dragstor? It's all subjective and personal taste, of course, but I have a hard time seeing that...

To each their own, though. I certainly understand why some wouldn't like him that much, but I'm digging him.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Quote Originally Posted by musclor View Post
    You honestly think Spector is a worse character design than dragstor? It's all subjective and personal taste, of course, but I have a hard time seeing that...

To each their own, though. I certainly understand why some wouldn't like him that much, but I'm digging him.
    At the very least Dragstor had the wheel action that defined the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    At the very least Dragstor had the wheel action that defined the character.
    The Mighty Spector does have a cool outfit and mini cosmic key which is more than enough to define him as the traveller of time and space.

Quote Originally Posted by Coptur View Post
    The Mighty Spector does have a cool outfit and mini cosmic key which is more than enough to define him as the traveller of time and space.
    He has a cool-looking gauntlet with a bunch of buttons on it. Not exactly obvious to the uninitiated.

And "cool-looking outfit" does not a time-traveller make.

Quote Originally Posted by musclor View Post

O.k. While the wheel in his belly might be ridicoulus Dragstor has quite a few things going for him. He has a cool helmet design, lots of details and a cool dark color sheme that fits. The mighty Spector on the other is quite bland and generic looking. Does he make more sense then a character with a wheel in his belly or an elephant head? Yes he does. Is he more interesting looking? At least for me he is not. I never had a problem with MOTU figures looking weird or bizarr. Most of them do.They are toy designs and have the right to have a certain amount of sillyness about them. I have however a problem with MOTU figures looking bland. Unfortunately Spector does look bland to me. He is not terrible. He just is nothing special either. I am not happy with Snout Spout either. But I would rather buy him then Spector. He might look more ridicoulus but at least his sillyness makes him ten times more visually interesting then Spector.
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

Quote Originally Posted by hauke View Post
    O.k. While the wheel in his belly might be ridicoulus Dragstor has quite a few things going for him. He has a cool helmet design, lots of details and a cool dark color sheme that fits. The mighty Spector on the other is quite bland and generic looking. Does he make more sense then a character with a wheel in his belly or an elephant head? Yes he does. Is he more interesting looking? At least for me he is not. I never had a problem with MOTU figures looking weird or bizarr. Most of them do.They are toy designs and have the right to have a certain amount of sillyness about them. I have however a problem with MOTU figures looking bland. Unfortunately Spector does look bland to me. He is not terrible. He just is nothing special either. I am not happy with Snout Spout either. But I would rather buy him then Spector. He might look more ridicoulus but at least his sillyness makes him ten times more visually interesting then Spector.
    i'm not interested in snout spout or photog, but i can see how someone might look at them and see something interesting.

After seen PD video and give mighty Spector a closer look and a second thought, I see that the character has some potential :
    The idea of a time traveller is good.
    The cosmic key gadget is very cool!
    The "flux capacitor" ammo is a nice touch.

I wold change only a few things on him:
    1- I would make him a cosmic enforcer, changing his spades armor for the Zodac armor (armor color matching his boots)
    2 - Change the color of his blaster holder for a aged dark silver metallic.
    3 - Give him a glow in the dark eyes!!!

And voila !!!
    Last edited by bianchi5; September 27, 2011 at 01:15pm.
    My Feedback

The fortress of mystery and power!

Hey, no bad words about Dragstor as long as I am active here!

"Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

I think the concept of Spector's character has some interesting potential, but the execution of the figure leaves much to be desired. I think bianchi5 has a cool idea with changing the random spade logo to Zodac/Wun-Dar/Zodak's logo. I also think the head really kills the figure. You've got an ultra-plain body but instead of having a cool headsculpt to balance that out like Snout-Spout or something, the head is equally bland and uninspired, so the whole figure feels "bleh."

now that dude has some unique features and looks interesting. there's no way a case could be made for him looking bland.

The Mighty Spector has become quite the topic. I was shocked Sunday morning when checked the board before going to Power Con that there was already 8 pages about him. There was an awful lot of talk about him at the Con as well. I personally don't like the look of the figure but there are other that do so that's great.

TG answered a question about his vintage drawing of The Mighty Spector on the Ask Matty boards and I found the answer intresting. He was asked if he still had the original drawing he did as a kid.

Answer:
    Oh man! I wish. I sent the original into a comic book company as a pitch when I was 11 and didn't make a copy! For the new MOTUC fig I did a pencil sketch from memory and Terry rendered it as an actual B sheet based on my memory sketch.

I wonder if doing it from memory after all these years and having had the 90's X-Men designs being so iconic for the last 20 years influenced his sketch. Not to mention he also submitted it to Marvel when he was 12, no doubt tweaking TMS to fit into that world. Because as I said a few times at the Con, TMS does not look like a design from the 80's.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

I just watched the Powercon video and had a closer look at Spectre and he is GREAT!!!
    he should be seen as a NA style figure. I LOVE the mini cosmic key, the gun and the laser parts that will come with him. The colour scheme is great too.

I just have one word to say about this figure:

:: Odrakir ::

My Feedback Thread

Heroic Warrior
    Since the molds are done, the only way to make him more MO.tU is to change the color design...

In MOTU most figures have big armors and those who don't, have a better coloration (Moss Man, Roboto, even Stratos)...

If he would have a bulkier armor, the face not designed as a mask, but as a real facelees guy, maybe a shield and definitaly a better color sheme, he would have some potential!

Colors are on a figure extremely important! Imagine if Demo Man would be brown or grey, I dont think, he would be so good looking...