Page 10 of 121 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

I'm extremely disappointed with this figure. When I first saw the list of figures being revealed and read the name "Mighty Specter" I guessed it was a powerful ghost or skeleton like Scareglow. Then, when I first saw the pictures, I skimmed past the Mighty Specter as I assumed it was a just a custom figure somebody had made, not an official one. This figure does not fit with the design esthetic that MOTU has established, instead, it's a typical comic book super hero in tights. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they would ever consider making this figure until I read that is was designed by ToyGuru when he was a child. Ugh. As a professional designer, I know where my strengths and weaknesses are. As such, if I was asked to write up a bios for a figure, as honored as I would be, I would pass as I know it wouldn't be the quality wouldn't be up to par.

ToyGuru should have know better than to go forward with this design, the very fact that he is being made and takes up a subscription slot does not bode well for the health of this line.

You know what? The more I look at Spector, I think he needs a cape. I seriously think a cape would improve his look 10 times over.
    In fact, a drooping cape attached from the back of his harness and attached at each wrist would be super cool...almost give him a manta-type look.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kolobosrexx View Post
    ...Oy!! I can't believe the furor over this ONE figure. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but tactfully-stated opinion and misguided vitrol are two distinctly different things, folks. It's an OPTIONAL purchase on sales-day, or part of an OPTIONAL add-on subscription. Period. No one is puting a gun to anyone's head and saying "BUY THIS/LIKE THIS OR ELSE!!". As far as design goes, again, it all comes down to pure opinion. Personally, in my most humble of opinions, it looks pretty cool!! And "fitting in with the line" is nonsense, since as others have tried to point out (heaven forbid the voices of reason!), character design has been all over the map since the original line! Barbarians, weird animal-men, teched-out coyboys, ninjas, ghosts, robots, cyborgs, gals with bird-fetishes , TALKING BROOMS, and on and on! To make claims that ANY concept doesn't "fit" is just rubbish.
    Why is it that when people say they don't like something, people immediately climb over each other to wave the "you don't have to buy it!" flag? This is the Spector discussion thread, and people are discussing it, for better or worse. And given how many people think the design is poor or boring, it's perfectly reasonable for them to lament what could have been, if a figure slot had not been taken by this particular figure.

Throttle down the indignation a bit.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by kolobosrexx View Post
    To make claims that ANY concept doesn't "fit" is just rubbish.
    The concept of a time traveling guy isn't the issue, its the execution that does not fit the established design esthetic that the line established. Spector is straight from the "comic book hero in tights" template which is a very different esthetic than MOTU.

Why the hell are people so butt hurt that others think Spector is a boring design? I don't see anyone running to claim that people are personally attacking the 4H when their designs aren't liked. I guess we can't critique anything done by Toyguru without it being a personal attack?
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayor View Post
    Why the hell are people so butt hurt that others think Spector is a boring design?
    it would be completely different if it was offered on the website to buy alone.

mattel and TG knew that the acceptance of a toy like this was very little chance, so they made sure they could get it in with photog, and other much much better designed toys.

again, before i even knew TG did this toy I would state EVERY issue i have with it. my problems with it are in no way connected on a personal level to Scott.

I personally think that him having a personal toy made by the 4H of this character for himself, would have been the more tactful way to make this line better for the average fan.

At first, I was really surprised but I personally like him !

First of all, this is a NEW character.... THE concept of the 30th Anniversary line.

Then, as I already said, there is no rule on Eternia.. We have a ninja, a cowboy, a robot, a wizard, an elephant .... They are living together

At the end, the concept is original! A mini cosmic key, a violet body, a cool whip and blade....

Master of Time Travels.. That's cool

Spector has some neat design combos going on.

The Cosmic Key Wrist guard, that I believe I read the TG credited to someone else - iirc, and using the Trap-Jaw/Kronis had on that arm to make it like a gauntlet while having a simple gloved hand on the other. That's pretty clever.

The paint job on the Trap-Jaw boots. A simple paint application on the calf makes it look like it has a metal strap instead of being a full boot, I never thought about that being an option.

Optikk's hip piece looks a bit clunky to me, I'd like to have seen Bow's on him, for a smoother aesthetic with the non-contrasting body color pallette he has going on. I'm not too crazy about the head, thankfully I've got spares laying around that I can slap on there if I ever change my mind and buy a Spector figure.

Oh, and I am kind of bummed that his hip holster is attached to the chest harness because that would've been cool to be able to reuse.

(The Fwoosh)

Sadly his pose is unfortunate, shoving his crotch out there like that is just off-putting.
    Last edited by slackrguy; September 26, 2011 at 04:40pm. Reason: said Trap-Jaw's hip piece, should've read Optikk's
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by beastor View Post
    He personally designed it so if you voice your opinion that it stinks I would say this could be considered a personal attack.
    What??? That's crazy talk.

So design teachers should never comment their students work? How do you expect people to improve their skills in a void without criticism?

Heroic Warrior
    That's the difference between Draego Man and the Spector thing:

One has a MOTU touch, the other not...

Wow guys, calm the **** down. Seriously. I'm pretty sure if we didn't get this figure, the 30th Anniversary sub line would have simply had one less figure. This is just like with Mo-Larr. You guys act like if it's not 100% canon then it better have a damn good reason to be immortalized in plastic else you'll let your fury be known.

Do I agree that he's not the most visually inspiring character? Yes. I also think He-Man himself is an incredibly boring design as well. Skeletor is cool. Hordak is cool. He-Man is just a shirtless Mr. Universe model. Then again He-Man was designed by a grown man and Spector was doodled by a child. What's He-Man's excuse?

It really makes me sick that so many of you just can't be happy for Toy Guru. Yes, because of his position he's able to "take advantage" of it and "force" his contest design into toy form. Just like the Four Horsemen "forced" their design in. Just like Toy Guru "forced" Chief Carnivus into the line so early, just like all the other numerous decisions made to appease the fans (Battleground Teela, Battle Armor Faker, Keldor's swords, etc etc) were "forced" into this line.

This line is about exploring every conceivable corner of the MOTU mythos. If it were somehow cost effective to include every single contest entry in this line, I bet they would do it. But hey, Toy Guru happened to design a relatively simple repaint as a kid, and not another Netta. So he and Mattel saw an opening and they took it. And like clockwork, he was **** on by the fans because it seems most of you subconsciously think everything Matty does is orchestrated by Toy Guru himself and that every night he falls asleep on a huge pile of money and orphan tears. Just be happy for the man, for god's sake. He's a fan first and a brand manager second-- half the **** this line accomplished wouldn't have happened if that wasn't the case. Let Toy Guru have his purple Deadpool and sell your figure if it really offends you so much. Just please keep your vitriol to yourself lest you sound ungrateful to those of us who aren't as familiar with how anal this fandom can get.

[/rant]

Toy Guru, if you ever see this post, I want you to know that I'm really thankful for all you're doing for this line and I'm happy that one of your childhood dreams came true. Please keep up the good work. We're all very thankful, even if you usually don't show it.

Quote Originally Posted by TechTrek View Post
    mattel and TG knew that the acceptance of a toy like this was very little chance, so they made sure they could get it in with photog, and other much much better designed toys.
    Um you do know that Mattel didnt include the 30th figures in the sub, just this very reason. They knew not everyone would like the new figures. but it was the fans that asked for the 30th sub, so who is really to blame?

and on another note there are people that accept this figure as a MOTU figure. not everyone hates it. and that can be said for every single MOTUC figure to date. Not one figure has gotten 100% approval from everyone.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

concept is cool, but i bet the execution could have been done much much better. i think it would actually be cool for fans in the customs section to draw up a better design for the concept. not a fan.

but i will agree with you the concept of the time traveler is something that (out side of the cosmic key) something that MOTU has lacked.

Quote Originally Posted by RageTreb View Post
    Wow guys, calm the **** down. Seriously. I'm pretty sure if we didn't get this figure, the 30th Anniversary sub line would have simply had one less figure. This is just like with Mo-Larr. You guys act like if it's not 100% canon then it better have a damn good reason to be immortalized in plastic else you'll let your fury be known.

Do I agree that he's not the most visually inspiring character? Yes. I also think He-Man himself is an incredibly boring design as well. Skeletor is cool. Hordak is cool. He-Man is just a shirtless Mr. Universe model. Then again He-Man was designed by a grown man and Spector was doodled by a child. What's He-Man's excuse?

It really makes me sick that so many of you just can't be happy for Toy Guru. Yes, because of his position he's able to "take advantage" of it and "force" his contest design into toy form. Just like the Four Horsemen "forced" their design in. Just like Toy Guru "forced" Chief Carnivus into the line so early, just like all the other numerous decisions made to appease the fans (Battleground Teela, Battle Armor Faker, Keldor's swords, etc etc) were "forced" into this line.

This line is about exploring every conceivable corner of the MOTU mythos. If it were somehow cost effective to include every single contest entry in this line, I bet they would do it. But hey, Toy Guru happened to design a relatively simple repaint as a kid, and not another Netta. So he and Mattel saw an opening and they took it. And like clockwork, he was **** on by the fans because it seems most of you subconsciously think everything Matty does is orchestrated by Toy Guru himself and that every night he falls asleep on a huge pile of money and orphan tears. Just be happy for the man, for god's sake. He's a fan first and a brand manager second-- half the **** this line accomplished wouldn't have happened if that wasn't the case. Let Toy Guru have his purple Deadpool and sell your figure if it really offends you so much. Just please keep your vitriol to yourself lest you sound ungrateful to those of us who aren't as familiar with how anal this fandom can get.

[/rant]

Toy Guru, if you ever see this post, I want you to know that I'm really thankful for all you're doing for this line and I'm happy that one of your childhood dreams came true. Please keep up the good work. We're all very thankful, even if you usually don't show it.
    Please stay on the topic of the thread as stated by Dorrmann. It's not about being happy for TG. If people can't complain that he got his figure made, you can't slurp him for doing just that.

It's about the toy. The boring, uninspired toy.

And as for 'not fitting in with the line', let me ask people this: if you put this figure in front of a seven-year-old, what are the chances he says "Oh! That guy is a time traveler!"?

That's how you know it doesn't fit the MOTUC motif.
    Last edited by Prince Adam's Dad; September 26, 2011 at 02:56pm.

If Spector had a dial on his back, I'd have been in!
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; September 26, 2011 at 03:02pm.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    Um you do know that Mattel didnt include the 30th figures in the sub, just this very reason. They knew not everyone would like the new figures. but it was the fans that asked for the 30th sub, so who is really to blame?

and on another note there are people that accept this figure as a MOTU figure. not everyone hates it. and that can be said for every single MOTUC figure to date. Not one figure has gotten 100% approval from everyone.
    i am saying that they are able to release a figure like this, that is not a great design, because of the other 2 so far they have revealed (drageon , a great design, and photog because of who he is)

its a marketing thing. i am not mad about it. its how business works. its how they have been doing this line for a while now!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    If people can't complain that he got his figure made, you can't slurp him for doing just that.
    I don't give two ***** if he got a character he designed made. But I'm capable of being an sympathetic human being and being happy for him. As long as we're agreeing not to hate on the figure because he was designed by a young Toy Guru and wouldn't have been made if he wasn't in charge, if you can honestly promise none of us are doing that, then most of my issue with all of this is forgotten. But you really can't promise that.
    It's about the toy. The boring, uninspired toy.
    What's there to complain about? Show one shred of evidence to suggest that another character would have taken Spector's place. Like I said, for all we know, in Spector's absence the 30th Anniversary figures might have just been out one figure. It's not like he's taking very much of the tooling budget either.
    And as for 'not fitting in with the line', let me ask people this: if you put this figure in front of a seven-year-old, what are the chances he says "Oh! That guy is a time traveler!"?
    Zero. Unless that 7-year-old was Toy Guru. That's the whole point. It's kid logic.

Also, if we're really going that route, I can list off character attributes of classic characters that are in no way hinted at by their designs.
    Last edited by RageTreb; September 26, 2011 at 03:02pm.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    i would like to know why does he have the ace of spades as a symbol on his outfit??

That's how you know it doesn't fit the MOTUC motif.
    I don't disagree with you on the fact that people are totally allowed to voice interest or disinterest in the figure itself.

This however...I dunno. What if you put Spikor in front of a kid? "Oh! That guy is a...um..spike guy. COOL!" What does it matter who they are? Just matters if it piques interest. You put Spector in front of a kid and you're gona get "yay" or "nay" regardless of whoever the heck he's supposed to be. Sure, they aren't gona know he's a time traveler, but no one is gona know what Spikor is besides a cool or dumb looking spike guy, no one is gona know what Man-E-Faces is besides the cool or dumb looking guy with three faces (and certainly not an actor), and no one is gona know what Spector is besides a cool or dumb looking costumed gambler guy (who knows what kids would think of the spade).

I understand that this figure has failed to pique the interest of many so far, but I don't see how having or not having an obvious use in any way makes him MotU or not MotU.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

if you put kid logic to it, this guy should be called "TIMOR"

i think i would like him more than. and have a clock on his chest instead of a spade, or maybe an hourglass

see, i already made the design better with little or no effort!

if you put kid logic to it, this guy should be called "TIMOR"
    And Fearless Photog should be called Photor.
    i think i would like him more than. and have a clock on his chest instead of a spade, or maybe an hourglass

see, i already made the design better with little or no effort!
    Congratulations! You have more creativity than a child. Proud of yourself?

I don't give two ***** if he got a character he designed made. But I'm capable of being an sympathetic human being and being happy for him. As long as we're agreeing not to hate on the figure because he was designed by a young Toy Guru and wouldn't have been made if he wasn't in charge, if you can honestly promise none of us are doing that, then most of my issue with all of this is forgotten. But you really can't promise that.
    So people are so defensive now that we aren't allowed to dislike a boring toy because of who designed it? Ok.

What's there to complain about? Show one shred of evidence to suggest that another character would have taken Spector's place. Like I said, for all we know, in Spector's absence the 30th Anniversary figures might have just been out one figure. It's not like he's taking very much of the tooling budget either.
    Nobody is complaining about the tooling cost. It's the slot that they are upset about. FP, while a goofy concept, is a solid figure that has a tangible place in the line's history. Draego-Man was nigh-universally lauded for being awesome. And then we get...this. People are upset because there could have been even more awesome coming down the pipe for the 30th line. Instead of...this.

Zero. Unless that 7-year-old was Toy Guru. That's the whole point. It's kid logic.

Also, if we're really going that route, I can list off character attributes of classic characters that are in no way hinted at by their designs.
    The vast majority of characters in this franchise have had some sort of nod to their design in their very name. Ram-Man. Spikor. Scare-Glow. Fisto. Flutterina. Slush-Head. It's part of what made the line goofy and fun and endearing. I think that's what is missing with Spector. He's not goofy. He's not fun. He's not endearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I don't disagree with you on the fact that people are totally allowed to voice interest or disinterest in the figure itself.

This however...I dunno. What if you put Spikor in front of a kid? "Oh! That guy is a...um..spike guy. COOL!" What does it matter who they are? Just matters if it piques interest. You put Spector in front of a kid and you're gona get "yay" or "nay" regardless of whoever the heck he's supposed to be. Sure, they aren't gona know he's a time traveler, but no one is gona know what Spikor is besides a cool or dumb looking spike guy, no one is gona know what Man-E-Faces is besides the cool or dumb looking guy with three faces (and certainly not an actor), and no one is gona know what Spector is besides a cool or dumb looking costumed gambler guy (who knows what kids would think of the spade).

I understand that this figure has failed to pique the interest of many so far, but I don't see how having or not having an obvious use in any way makes him MotU or not MotU.
    Like I said above, it's part of what has given Masters of the Universe its charm in all its iterations.

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    i would like to know why does he have the ace of spades as a symbol on his outfit??
    he's a time traveler.

And Fearless Photog should be called Photor.

Congratulations! You have more creativity than a child. Proud of yourself?
    Photog is short for Photographer. There really is no change calling it "Photor".

And 4H tweaked the Spector design with some accessories. Is there a big reason they couldn't have swapped the spade for an hourlass? That would have been a start. With the diamond and spade, he would have made more sense to have been a time traveller that was also a card shark or something.

And more importantly, why are you acting like people are insulting you personally?
    Last edited by Prince Adam's Dad; September 26, 2011 at 03:38pm.

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    If you like to gamble, I tell you he's the man, you win some lose some, it's all the same to him.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!