Page 11 of 121 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...Points for quoting MOTORHEAD!!! Maybe that's his theme-song??

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RageTreb View Post
    And Fearless Photog should be called Photor.

Congratulations! You have more creativity than a child. Proud of yourself?
    considering I am 3, yes. yes I am proud.

Maybe they could make the awful spade symbol removable and create an alternate symbol so the handful of people who do purchase the horrible figure can swap it out.

After really looking at the figure, I wish it came with a second head. Lose the ski mask, and he wouldn't look so out of place (i.e. super hero-ish). Also, I personally don't like the spade motif on his chest. It makes an otherwise menacing character look cartoonish.

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    i would like to know why does he have the ace of spades as a symbol on his outfit??
    When Spector isn't travelling time saving the Universe & all life, he takes out a pack of cards hidden on his chest piece & plays solitaire.

Because no-one likes him.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    When Spector isn't travelling time saving the Universe & all life, he takes out a pack of cards hidden on his chest piece & plays solitaire.

Because no-one likes him.
    ***Winnah!***
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Please stay on the topic of the thread as stated by Dorrmann.

It's about the toy. The boring, uninspired toy.
    You're only half right. Yes, the thread is about the toy. Boring and uninspired is YOUR OPINION.

Stop stating it as fact. Thanks!
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

I do not think people do not like this figure because Toyguru designed it ... people do not like this figure because in their opinion it is does not have that MOTUC je ne sais quoi.

While it might be great that as a fan Toyguru gets to see something he drew as a child immortalised in plastic, as a brand manager he has a responsibility to preserve the brand; IMHO as one of six 30th anniversary figures this does not enhance the brand. Anyway, Photog is the embodiment of a child's dream finally come to "life" and the Four Horsemen get how to design for MOTUC...hence the positive reception of Draego Man.

In the end only Mattel will know how successful Spector is. In the mean time everyone is entitled to their opinion whether positive or negative; if you put your artwork out there you cannot expect anything else.
    Matty needs to do pre-orders !!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    My point wasn't that it was a thirty-year-old design. The original characters were designed by professionals thirty years ago, not ten-year-old kids. An update of a ten-year-old child's design isn't the same as a thirty-something-year-old man relying on his current skill level and knowledge to create a fresh design. A gauntlet is a fairly insignificant update and certainly isn't enough to save this poor design.
    And Photog wasn't a kids design? And I have no idea what got updated and what didn't from the original design, I haven't seen it? I just know that it was said the Bill Benecke designed the arm Cosmic Key. So Bill is part of design, and the Four horsemen sculpted it, professional enough for you?

Look Spector is not my all-time favorite design for Classics, I just think it's getting a lot of hate because of where it came from and what people perceive it to be replacing. I like him more than any of the Star Sisters, more than Sy-Klone, and more than Startos. Did I want him more than Illumina, Ram-Man, Two-Bad, Prahvus, Tung Lashor, Lizzor, or countless other unmaid Masters? Well NO! But I also understand this is a line of 6 all new figures never seen in the mythos, so I already knew none of those were coming. And I also understand many won't like these new figures because they have no history, nostalgia, or just don't like it for any number of reasons. But I also feel people are being very biased because of a dislike for Scott (which makes little sense to me?) and I'm not saying everyone. Couple that with people not liking it because well they just don't like it and it has nothing to do with the designer, and this figure is receiving the most negativity ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    You're only half right. Yes, the thread is about the toy. Boring and uninspired is YOUR OPINION.

Considering how descriptions like "boring and uninspired" are subjective terms, how was I claiming them to be facts?

Learn about adjectives. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post

This again?

IMO people shouldn't have to put IMO before every comment, it's already implicit.

Quote Originally Posted by BadVermin View Post
    This again?

IMO people shouldn't have to put IMO before every comment, it's already implicit.
    I'm saying something negative. Instead of engaging my opinion and debating it, it's easier to project and decry.

I Like him, is he a favorite no, but anything He-Man is cool with me. Just GET RID OF DIGITAL RIVER!!!!!!!!!!
    Currently Looking for:
    MOC:
    Dragon Walker with tattoo he - man MIB.
    Parts I need:
    Zodak Calves, Feet and Loin Cloths.

Quote Originally Posted by RageTreb View Post
    I don't give two ***** if he got a character he designed made. But I'm capable of being an sympathetic human being and being happy for him. As long as we're agreeing not to hate on the figure because he was designed by a young Toy Guru and wouldn't have been made if he wasn't in charge, if you can honestly promise none of us are doing that, then most of my issue with all of this is forgotten. But you really can't promise that.

What's there to complain about? Show one shred of evidence to suggest that another character would have taken Spector's place. Like I said, for all we know, in Spector's absence the 30th Anniversary figures might have just been out one figure. It's not like he's taking very much of the tooling budget either.

Zero. Unless that 7-year-old was Toy Guru. That's the whole point. It's kid logic.

Also, if we're really going that route, I can list off character attributes of classic characters that are in no way hinted at by their designs.
    This is what I was trying to say earlier - thank you for being more eloquent. I'm not saying don't critique the figure. I myself am not a huge fan of the spade symbol. I just feel that some people are being extra critical just because they can under the anonymity of the internet. I saw Scott yesterday and I could tell he was bummed by the fan's reaction which is too bad since he really does so much for this line. I think we should hold judgment until the weapons are finished (whip and knife). They looked pretty cool on the image behind the figure. It's a good thing Rotar and Twistoid were not first announced as part of the classics line because they would have never fit in with the look and feel of the MOTU universe .
    Last edited by beastor; September 26, 2011 at 04:21pm.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    Maybe they could make the awful spade symbol removable and create an alternate symbol so the handful of people who do purchase the horrible figure can swap it out.

i worked when certain artists complained about Bow being too girly because of his chest symbol......

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    And Photog wasn't a kids design?
    Mattel's professional drawings of all of the top five characters were quite a bit different than the drawings submitted by the actual kids. The Photog figure is based upon Mattel's professional rendering and interpretation of Nathan's entry. The Spector character was also entered in the contest, which it obviously didn't win. The Spector concept wasn't good enough then so why would it be now?

the Four horsemen sculpted it, professional enough for you?
    The 4H are exceptionally talented. It testifies to how bad the design is when even the 4H's brilliant sculpting abilities can't save it.

Couple that with people not liking it because well they just don't like it and it has nothing to do with the designer, and this figure is receiving the most negativity ever.
    You hit the nail on the head. It's receiving the most negativity ever because it's by far the worst MOTUC figure to date.

Quote Originally Posted by beastor View Post
    I saw Scott yesterday and I could tell he was bummed by the fan's reaction.
    It's going to be a professionally produced action figure. Regardless of whether or not the designer is professional, they should keep that in mind. People are going to be paying their hard-earned money for it, and have every right to like or dislike it. If the designer can't handle this, they shouldn't design anything for public consumption.

I think we should hold judgment until the weapons are finished. They looked pretty cool on the image behind the figure.
    And then people could lament how much cooler that energy-whip would have been on a cooler figure.

It's a good thing Rotar and Twistoid were not first announced as part of the classics line because they would have never fit in with the look and feel of the MOTU universe .
    Rotar and Twistoid (and Stonedar and Rokkon and Multi-Bot and Modulok) were a lot of things, and boring was not among them (in my opinion, Skeletortilla ).

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Having seen this figure at Power-Con on the weekend, I do think that the body and armor looks good. What I do not like is the lack of eyes. Paint on some black eyes, or white eyes like Batman, or glowing green eyes, and he would look way cooler. Hopefully it isn't too late to make that small change. Otherwise, I'm down with the figure.

Here is a quick mock-up to show what I am talking about:

Last edited by Captain Atkin; September 26, 2011 at 04:31pm.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    Having seen this figure at Power-Con on the weekend, I do think that the body and armor looks good. What I do not like is the lack of eyes. Paint on some black eyes, or white eyes like Batman, or glowing green eyes, and he would look way cooler. Hopefully it isn't to late to make that small change. Otherwise, I'm down with the figure.

NICE! I like the green eyes.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

Having seen this figure at Power-Con on the weekend, I do think that the body and armor looks good. What I do not like is the lack of eyes. Paint on some black eyes, or white eyes like Batman, or glowing green eyes, and he would look way cooler. Hopefully it isn't to late to make that small change. Otherwise, I'm down with the figure.
    Nice job! The green eyes are a small improvement. Anybody want to add to it and change the spade symbol?

Having seen this figure at Power-Con on the weekend, I do think that the body and armor looks good. What I do not like is the lack of eyes. Paint on some black eyes, or white eyes like Batman, or glowing green eyes, and he would look way cooler. Hopefully it isn't too late to make that small change. Otherwise, I'm down with the figure.

That does help A LOT. But that is just my opinion... in case someone one here gets mad thinking I'm stating this as a non-subjective fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    I do not think people do not like this figure because Toyguru designed it ... people do not like this figure because in their opinion it is does not have that MOTUC je ne sais quoi.

While it might be great that as a fan Toyguru gets to see something he drew as a child immortalised in plastic, as a brand manager he has a responsibility to preserve the brand; IMHO as one of six 30th anniversary figures this does not enhance the brand. Anyway, Photog is the embodiment of a child's dream finally come to "life" and the Four Horsemen get how to design for MOTUC...hence the positive reception of Draego Man.

In the end only Mattel will know how successful Spector is. In the mean time everyone is entitled to their opinion whether positive or negative; if you put your artwork out there you cannot expect anything else.

comparing photog to spector just does not mak any sense to me....

photog is a promise that is finally being fulfilled by mattel...it embodies a right that was wronged....(wait a sec... reverse that)

spector on the other hand is PERCIEVED as a brand manager who has taken his power and has run to far with it....

=======================================
    to me that is either here nor there... if the 4H designed it ..i would still think that the design concept is poor...

1. the spade has no real appeal or sense of meaning with the character..
    2. the color choice are just to contrasting
    3. the oversized weapon holster and right wristguard make it almost cartoony when mixed with the detail on the cosmic key and boots and does not make for an appealing character flow (like puting a micky mouse hands on a jim lee design)
    4. the 2 giant RED diamond shapes are not at all interesting and seem out of place even..an all purplr head would be more appealing or a unique design...
    (heck even a large spade on the face would appear more interesting)...

there is alot of POTENTIAL ...
    i throw down a challenge now to all the customizers out there.. i cannot wait to see what you guys are capable of doing with this figure....
    Last edited by gatchagrey; September 26, 2011 at 04:36pm.
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

I'm curious to see how he'd look in Deadpool's colours. Can someone please do a red & black mock-up?

Just for the record. All of you at home working on your Create-A-Character; you do realize that if you win, your prize will be

a) A dozen copies of your toy
    b) three dozen threads on these forums of people hating on your figure.

Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    Just for the record. All of you at home working on your Create-A-Character; you do realize that if you win, your prize will be

a) A dozen copies of your toy
    b) three dozen threads on these forums of people hating on your figure.
    But the thing is that it will be much better than Mighty Spector. Of course, Toyguru will probably pick something that's not that great just to say. Look at the winner! My figure is better!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban