Page 12 of 121 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

Heroic Warrior
    I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong the with the character... that being said it does have to live up to the MOTUC brand. First off, this being TG's creation does make me go grrr, but that's only because I'm jealous. We all would love to manifest our childlike imaginations into 7 inches of plastic. Secondly, if they retool this guy a bit he could be something special. The color scheme needs a bit of work as do the accessories but personally I think he's just a couple pieces away from being a bad ass cosmic merc (i.e. mad max influences). Lastly I do think the spade has to go, some people may end up loving it, but it's almost TOO blatant of symbol... maybe he is a master of all things cards. Anyways it looks like the symbol is just painted in the recess of his harness. Any monkey could put something in there to their liking or just paint over it, no customizing skill needed. That being said, his plain buck could be excellent in the hands of some great artist/customizers.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    Mattel's professional drawings of all of the top five characters were quite a bit different than the drawings submitted by the actual kids. The Photog figure is based upon Mattel's professional rendering and interpretation of Nathan's entry. The Spector character was also entered in the contest, which it obviously didn't win. The Spector concept wasn't good enough then so why would it be now?
    Did you not see the art of Spector? Do you think this drawing is the one Toyguru submitted as a child? I'm sure he received plenty of design support.

You hit the nail on the head. It's receiving the most negativity ever because it's by far the worst MOTUC figure to date.
    Your personal veiw, I feel he is much better than the Star Sisters, Photog, Stratos, Sy-Klone, and probably more that I just did'nt feel got enough of an update.

So I woke up from a nap.. and came here to see what reveals we were getting.. umm yawn.. I think I will go back to having a longer nap.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    just for the record. All of you at home working on your create-a-character; you do realize that if you win, your prize will be

a) a dozen copies of your toy
    b) three dozen threads on these forums of people hating on your figure.
    lmao!!!! Qft.

Heroic Warrior
    I have to say that I really dont like Spector at all he likes like something out of Marvel and he does not fit MOTU imo

Guys, guys... don't sweat it!!!
    If you have an extra Skeletor head, an extra Keldor cape, and mod Skelly's or Faker's armor, this figure actually would look badass!!

I give you,

"TIME TRAVELER SKELETOR"
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

I got to follow some of the coverage online this weekend. I really wished I could go. The articles and photos have been awesome. Mighty Spector however, was very weak. He doesn't feel like a MOTU character and the only thing on his that's MOTU-ish (the cosmic key) was designed by Terry. It's just a Rob Liefeld character with feet. I wouldn't complain about anyone getting to design the figure as long as it's a great design, but even the Four Horsemen couldn't save it. That's saying something.

I also wanted to touch on a couple of things:

- Toyguru said that Illumina is invalid for the 30th anniversary line, because she is an established character, and the characters will all be new. Uh, isn't Spector, as a palace guard, already an established character? He contradicts himself.

- Toyguru, in an attempt to clear the air of any confusion, said that his face being a palace guard was a "surprise" from the Four Horsemen. Sorry to sadden anyone, but Scott being "Lt. Spector as a palace guard" was at his request. It 100% planned, and always was. When Scott got the opportunity to take his character and have it realized as a full-fledged "Master," he made a variant and storyline out of his own guy. Nothing wrong with it, but lying at a panel to the fans about his face being a surprise when so many others know otherwise and can contradict the misinformation, was bad form. Nobody granted him the right to make Spector. It was his decision to Mary-Sue himself into He-Man. He is the brand manager. Many of us would do the same thing, but there's no reason create this white lie about the origin. There was no surprise. He wanted to be a character in He-Man (and Marvel), no secret there.

- Also not to hijack it into a Sorceress thing, but why did Mattel say that they couldn't glue the wings to Sorceress's upper arms because the piece is too small to glue? If you're already making a mold of the wing, make new upper arms/bicep as part of the wing mold and there's nothing to glue. Now her wings won't go forward as the prototype intended.

Just wanted to set the record straight. I wish I could hope and I can't wait for next year. Sounds it was a great weekend.
    Last edited by Caesar; September 26, 2011 at 06:09pm.

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...Regarding the ace of spades, it occured to me that Bow's "magic arrow" heads are all based off of card-suites also... Maybe those symbols are just somehow "universal"?

Actually the Skeletor armor and cape make it feel more MOTUC for me. I did write in an earlier thread different armor would make a huge difference...and the eyes.
    Matty needs to do pre-orders !!

Let's try to be constructive here. Obviously this "Mighty Spector" Bloke is no Spikor, but many people will end up with this figure as completists, or being in the sub or both.

He does seem like he is not in the general "spirit" of MOTU, but isn't too far off of New Adventures. I think his design is ok, if he gets that energy whip thing that comes out of the mini cosmic key, that would be great. Mostly though, I think he is a little drab looking. His face needs something more, maybe an extra line of orange behind the red of the eyes, something to keep the same general design but give it more pop, as it is now, His face is his weakest feature. With his heavy and large boots as a thick trunk, the rest of him with his huge holster at his hips tapers up as a triangle with that smooth no detail head. I think something else like a helmet or some more detailed paint apps like (shudder) white or black eyes in the red, or some extra design somewhere on his face, would help balance this bottom heavy design out. As now his head just looks like a shadow. I hope it comes out looking great for everyone's sake, including Scott's, who deserves to have his character made for all the work and passion put into this line, let's just see if we can make some recommendations to help him pop more and be a great figure? Anyone else have any more ideas that could be implemented before it goes to production to help?
    Last edited by darkmoon766; September 26, 2011 at 06:38pm.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    Just for the record. All of you at home working on your Create-A-Character; you do realize that if you win, your prize will be

a) A dozen copies of your toy
    b) three dozen threads on these forums of people hating on your figure.
    Absolutely! This should have been the last post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Did you not see the art of Spector? Do you think this drawing is the one Toyguru submitted as a child? I'm sure he received plenty of design support.
    I have seen the art work. It's a professional, 2D rendering of the terrible toy. No amount of "design support" was enough to save this abomination. It would have been better if Toy Guru had used his current knowledge and experience to come up with a fresh design. Recycling a poor design that wasn't good enough to win the original contest was a bad idea.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    I have seen the art work. It's a professional, 2D rendering of the terrible toy. No amount of "design support" was enough to save this abomination. It would have been better if Toy Guru had used his current knowledge and experience to come up with a fresh design. Recycling a poor design that wasn't good enough to win the original contest was a bad idea.
    not good enough to place top 20 in a contest should not be chosen. at least dragon-man guy was a really cool concept, and I dont really like the figure.....

For the jealousy coments out there... How many people have NOT submitted a "Create-a-character" concept, who also think this figure is garbage?

I'm one of them. Although I am an artist, I just never submitted a design. So, in essence, no competition=no jealousy. Just a serious lack of beleif that this idea made it into a figure I have to buy if i want a complete collection.

I would have been laughing if Bandai made this character, but Mattel? C'mon.

I think he would look better if the gun holster was smaller, it looks very big and clunky IMO. I also think they could have used a more original symbol then a spade.
    I also hope they explain the time travel power further as it is a very powerful ability to have. I mean whats to stop him from going back time and stopping Evil Lyn freeing the SnakeMen and Horde, or even stopping Skeletor from bringing down the mystic wall.
    Last edited by 13977; September 26, 2011 at 06:56pm.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
    For the jealousy coments out there... How many people have NOT submitted a "Create-a-character" concept, who also think this figure is garbage?

I'm one of them. Although I am an artist, I just never submitted a design. So, in essence, no competition=no jealousy. Just a serious lack of beleif that this idea made it into a figure I have to buy if i want a complete collection.

I would have been laughing if Bandai made this character, but Mattel? C'mon.

Hey Pyre, I saw your Plunjor design, it was a great character design and hilarious at the same time. I would buy that guy. Since we are getting this figure(Spector) in the line no matter what, do you have any design Ideas that could help it before it goes into production? Like paint apps or maybe a piece of tooling that already exists? Captain Atkin's eye idea a few pages back makes him look more comic booky, but it makes him look way better. Any ideas to help it?

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I think he would look better if the gun holster was smaller, it looks very big and clunky IMO.
    Agreed, it makes him look bottom heavy like a triangle. I don't think he is supposed to be a Jabba styled character but obviously more dynamic. Maybe they haven't cast the tooling for this yet and can make it smaller. By the way, his leg bandolier seems to have green bullets, and the gun and cosmic key have them as well, Are these time bullets, and is time indeed green in the motuc cannon?
    Last edited by darkmoon766; September 26, 2011 at 06:55pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    Hey Pyre, I saw your Plunjor design, it was a great character design and hilarious at the same time. I would buy that guy. Since we are getting this figure(Spector) in the line no matter what, do you have any design Ideas that could help it before it goes into production? Like paint apps or maybe a piece of tooling that already exists? Captain Atkin's eye idea a few pages back makes him look more comic booky, but it makes him look way better. Any ideas to help it?
    You would? lol. well, yeah, so would I. But for MOTU, i dunno

But yeah, tweak the spector design? sounds like an idea. I'll see what I can whip up.

Don't forget to vote in support of, or against Spector people!!
    VOTE HERE-->http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214930

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    I also hope they explain the time travel power further as it is a very powerful ability to have. I mean whats to stop him from going back time and stopping Evil Lyn freeing the SnakeMen and Horde, or even stopping Skeletor from bringing down the mystic wall.
    His time-travel power gives him the ability to Ret-Con himself into any MOTU(C) story-line.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    His time-travel power gives him the ability to Ret-Con himself into any MOTU(C) story-line.
    But would it give him the power to go back and change himself into a more liked figure?

But would it give him the power to go back and change himself into a more liked figure?
    Impossible.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I personally have not submitted and character entries, nor do I plan to.

I harbor no illusions about my talents as an artist. I know my entry would not win. I know my entry would not place in the Top Five. I know that I would hate the fact that Mattel would own it anyway.

With that said...

Grown up Scott should have created an all new character if he so strongly felt the need to design one of the 30th Anniversary figures.

Regardless of its design merits (or lack thereof), The Mighty Spector does NOT deserve a figure over the other four finalists in the original contest.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

he's a time traveler not a God

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Good lord, haters are adamant about hatin.'
    I guess the cool thing is, I like him. So...I'm happy and you're not!!!! Neenerneenerneener!

Seriously, I haven't seen one valid reason for all the negativity. We're all He-Fans here! Feel the love!

I can't wait until you guys all rip my winning entry to shreds.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Sorry I don't like this figure a bit! MOTU reading on this one is zero.. On the other hand G.I.JOE is 100% and who sees a heroic warrior to look like that.. really?

"Cosmic Key" gadget is cool tough!
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

This thread is going to be off the chain if he's heavily featured in the mini-comic more than already established characters. Currently it's already almost as heated as when Star Wars fans found out that N'Sync was going to have a cameo in Episode II...well, maybe not THAT heated ;P
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.