Page 17 of 121 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of "Mighty Spector" but I seriously don't think this is an issue nor worth trying to get Scott or Mattel in trouble over.

This is as silly as the group that is advocating against Illumina just out of spite.
    Who said anything about getting anyone in trouble? It's just a fun and intriguing discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    Who said anything about getting anyone in trouble? It's just a fun and intriguing discussion.
    Not to mention, if Marvel DOES own the rights, pointing out the possibility to Mattel before they sell the figure saves them a whole lot of legal hassle.

IF Marvel does own the rights and IF it were a fan submitting the character for the Create a Character Contest, it would have violated the contest rules.

From MattyCollector:

"Each contestant (and his or her parent/legal guardian if applicable) agrees, warrants and represents that a) each design submitted by the contestant is the original work of such contestant, b) no one else has any rights with respect to such design configuration, and c) the use of the design by the Contest Entities will not violate the rights of any third parties."

let me represent the voice of Marvel if someone tattled on everyone involved in this "figure"..

"Pfffftt! Uh, no. Mattel can have him, but thanks. We actually like pleasing our fans and, you know, making a profit."

Maybe this is why Marvel characters are immortalized while we're not even on the radar.

But think of us, Marvel! PLEASE PLEASE issue a cease and desist!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
    let me represent the voice of Marvel if someone tattled on everyone involved in this "figure"..

"Pfffftt! Uh, no. Mattel can have him, but thanks. We actually like pleasing our fans and, you know, making a profit.
    Too funny!

If anyone attempted to tattle to Marvel I doubt they would even bother to open the email or the envelope.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    But think of us, Marvel! PLEASE PLEASE issue a cease and desist!
    That would be a dream come true!

I was not a fan but now that I see that the figure came from TG when he was a kid and how it all came to be - I am sold on it.

I said this at con, if I was in his shoes my entree into the 80's contest would be in the works...lol. And his is much better than Man-Carp, not quite sure what was in my milk at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post

"Pfffftt! Uh, no. Mattel can have him, but thanks. We actually like pleasing our fans and, you know, making a profit."

Maybe this is why Marvel characters are immortalized while we're not even on the radar.
    lol very good point

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

if Scott sent it into Mattel first, wouldn't the character then be property of Mattel? Then it wouldn't be Scott's property to then give to Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashWatchman View Post
    if Scott sent it into Mattel first, wouldn't the character then be property of Mattel? Then it wouldn't be Scott's property to then give to Marvel.
    The point of view pretty much goes off of that Mattel lost the rights to the submissions because Fearless Photog's creator had resign creative rights again. I know there's a word for it, but creative rights was as close as my mind could get right now. So Mattel would not be able to prove rights where as Marvel might. The counter argument is why would Marvel want to?
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I'm sure Mattel legal would have shut it down if it was an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    JonWes is right, Scott would have to disclose to Mattel legal any previous submissions he made with that character. If it had been a problem they'd have shut it down.

I like some of the clever wit in this thread though and it is a good discussion regarding the IP rights in relation to MOTUC.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneepoo View Post
    I really like the idea of the Grayskull symbol instead of the spade...I would definitely sign on for this change! Makes it fit in much better IMO.
    I think the Grayskull symbol goes very well with the armor. Make it glow in the dark like the original rings, and it would be even cooler. Glowing gren eyes would also be cool too. It just gives the figure more... power!

I really do like this figure, and I think that with a few minor design tweaks, the prototype we saw could be made even cooler.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; September 27, 2011 at 10:41pm.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Marvel passed on the character and TG still has the rejection letter. Marvel has no claim to it.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

That looks good Cap't. A smart entrepreneur should be looking at ways to make a decal to replace the spade and sell them in the marketplace

I don't mind the spade personally, but it does sound like some alternatives to it would please a lot of fans. I think the red diamond-like marks on the mask (I know not meant to be diamonds) are more out of place, but that's not a big deal. I think his armor might be good to appear in a weapons pack with alternate colors, although I think the yellow looks okay.

The cape/hood and the Grayskull symbol would make him look much better, but still not great. I agree with what others said in that he shouldn't have indulged in his childhood fantasy to get this figure done. Why not take the opportunity to make a brand new figure from his current imagination? Was he so in love with this design that he still thinks it's the best thing he can come up with? If so, that's unfortunate, for him and us. And as others have said, his entry lost, so why are we getting it now? And putting Trap Jaw boots on him and the wrist guard do not make him feel like MOTU
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

I've steered clear of this thread because TG gets enough LEGITIMATE criticisms from me... and I'm not a heartless monster. I actually felt bad for a moment when the room went deathly silent after the reveal of Spector...

I got over it... because as I looked at it, I thought, "Did this man care that this figure doesn't look like a MOTU figure? Did he not think about redesigning the playing card symbol?" That symbol was apparently specifically intended to invoke a Marvel character, yet it wasn't updated/changed for this new incarnation.

The figure looks like a Jim Lee design from X-Men... it looks like Deadpool with Cyclops' armor and... Gambit's Spade symbol.

Quote Originally Posted by Plinio View Post
    My suggestion:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6159/...8e9d89231b.jpg

Keldor's cape + Skeletor's hook

This is brilliant! THIS would make this look more like a MOTU figure as opposed to a Marvel X-Men figure.

As a Marvel character design, I actually like it.

As a MOTU design, it doesn't work as well
    Last edited by bcrduke; September 27, 2011 at 10:18pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Gotta dig Nutnog's style. audman's Avatar
    Did I miss that Spector was actually mighty? I think they could get away with MOTUC Spector or Spektor if they really had to. I see it with a couple marvel figures. Marvels so and so due to dc having one too.

And a rejection letter really sells me on buying a product. Just saying. Kidding.
    Highly Recommended for Fantastic Trades/sales: cayman shen, ElkThunder, Geek-man,

in my opinion, the only motu character worse than mighty spector is netta.

why didn't they just go with eye beam?

How do we know that they are even aware of the Marvel submission? It's not like this line brings in much revenue compared to their major toy lines. I can't see Mattel legal scrutinizing every minute detail of this line. If Toy Guru didn't think to mention the submission to legal, then there isn't any way they would be remotely aware of it. If I was Toy Guru, I probably wouldn't have thought of it. Granted in all likelihood it's probably not truly an issue to anyone.

We might be wise to lay-off this Spector thing...

Scott doesn't like criticisms... and this is his creation.

It's happening whether we like it or not. We don't have to buy it.

I'm trying to learn to like it. I will have to change the figure a bit, if I decide to buy the 30th Anniversary Sub (ironic that I have not yet, as I was the one who asked for the add-on at SDCC ).

I was thinking about giving him a cape and the pink Cosmic Enforcer armor and weapons. He could be a renegade cosmic enforcer.

If it turns out that he IS Keldor/Evil-Lyn's son, I won't accept that. Regardless of anything I have ever said about this brand manager's style, THAT would be the most flagrant abuse of power ever in the history of this line I don't think he is shameless. No.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

having seen the figure in person at the con, i think it might be safe to say people will likely enjoy him more in person than through online photos. when he was first revealed at the panel slideshow, i was sorta "meh", but after seeing him in the case, i warmed up to him quite abit. plus, once he has his cool blue laser-blast accesories, i think it will really make him shine abit more.
    anyway, i CAN see why some might simply not like the design, BUT i'm afraid it seems painfully obvious that many may "hate" on this figure simply because it's Scott's... to me, despite some perceived shortcomings, the man takes too much flak. meeting him, it's clear he has a true passion for this property and this job, and i'm glad to recongize he has a thick skin to weather all the undue ire sent his way. yes... most of us likely WOULD seize the opportunity to get OUR childhood design/submission into the line if we were in his shoes (which i don't fault him for in he least), but that's really beyond the point of whether or not any one "should" like or dislike this figure in-and-of-itself.
    yep, it's abit "tame" in design compared to many of the time-honored and more outrageous designs we know and love like snout spout or dragstor, BUT i remember a recent thread where many were clamoring for a "superhero" type character to be added to the motu mythos. for me, i feel this character will fill that void nicely. the world of superheroes is full of many instantly-recognizable images, and as such it'd be nearly impossible NOT to replicate or reference some of them (yep... my instant thoughts went to deadpool at the panel), BUT the design remaining as simplistic as it is allows the character to fulfill the "superhero" archetype WITHOUT coming across as a cookie-cutter rip-off of any known heroes. i cannot abide by arguments that a character with this look doesn't "fit" into MOTU... how the heck do two characters like, say, buzz-off and mekanek, "fit" together in the same line/universe?? MOTU is predicated on it's crazy diversity! that said, in a conversation with my buddy last night, i think he may have touched on the one thing that MAY be the basis of some of the disappointment in this figure (beyond my expectation that it's largely due to the creator)... and that is, with nearly every existing character, just by simply looking at them you can identify what is their schtick or gimmick... this guy does NOT have that going for him. his imagery is non-descript enough that it isn't evident just by seeing him what he'd be all about. perhaps that's the only justifiable critique. maybe a different insignia pertaining to time-travel would help?? perhaps though when we see his bio it will help alittle to justify the spade? regardless, the figure is actually pretty cool, in part due to the fact that he IS different (and that's increasing hard to accomplish in a line with so many differences)... i for one like him, and i hope others can set aside the hate and perhaps come to like him too. i fear this "all new characters" experiment may illuminate the fact that fans may NOT take to them with love, specifically because there exists no reason TO love them, due to no story connection or nostalgia. draego-man is cool, but honestly abit TOO detailed to "fit" with the general asthetic of the line. but in opposition to spector, i feel many unduly LOVE that character simply BECAUSE the 4H created him.
    for my two cents, if we look at him for exactly what he is, spector should be seen as a welcome addition to the line. he's no more or less exciting in design than, say, ram man or fisto or zodac.

Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    hahaha, a knife shotting cosmic key at that. Seriusly though, I'm sure it is fine. Nobody would ever open themselves up to a potential legal fiasco like that.
    He or she might if he or she had overlooked the legal issues...

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    Totally different character! This one has a cosmic key on his wrist.
    LOL!!! That's the part I like the most.

Again, I wonder... it might not know. I thinka lot of people here think Scott has some big boss team above him who approve or disapprove of everything from character selection to budget.

I do believe he answers to higher-ups regarding budgets, etc. I don't think he does when it comes to character selection... barring any reviews of the roster for the year that find anything indecent or degrading to the property.

Spector wouldn't send up any red-flags. If Mattel Legal didn't know that Scott had submitted this idea to Marvel, they why would they suspect Spector of being anything other than a re-design of an existing character?

This is very interesting.

I can tell you right now, it would be the BEST way, and a non-embarassing way for Scott to cancel the figure, and go back to the drawing board. He could do a cool thing and create a totally new character from scratch. It would be an interesting history for the development.

Of course then EVERYONE will go crazy forever wanting a Spector figure LOL!!