Page 25 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 625 of 3015

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

  1. #601
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    766
    Crusader that means nothing to me. Demo-Man and Vikor were ultimately shot down at one point as well. He-Ro never made it into production.

    This is a line and universe that lives and breathes on the MISFITS of the toy world. This toy line and universe encompasses the underdog. Slush-head, need I say more. Thank you, g'night.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

    -CM Punk

  2. #602
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    914
    I hate Ninjor. I hated him when he was released in the 80's. I am in no hurry to see Ninjor released in the new line. However, I won't be surprised if the 4H make him so cool that I feel compelled to pick one up. The 4H are just that talented.

    I wanted to like the 30th Anniversary figures. I was actually looking forward to them. Spector is so terrible that no matter how hard I try I just can't find anything redeeming about the design. Spector has made me lose all confidence in Mattel's judgment on character selection for these new characters. I wanted to buy the sub so bad and now I just can't bring myself to.

    As far as not fitting in, much of it has to do with the actual design. Spector's design screams horribly bad fan custom. Moreover, I can't picture the other characters in the line as mainstream Marvel comic book characters. He-Man, Skeletor, Snout Spout, and even Ninjor just don't look like they could be Gambit's son.

  3. #603
    Lord of the Patch baronterror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    4,426
    I'll walk out and say it.

    MOTU has everything in it, nearly. I've decided I'm glad we finally got a spandex wearing "superhero" type. It was the one thing this line is missing.

    Was missing.

  4. #604
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    766
    Spector doesn't even look like Gambit's son.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

    -CM Punk

  5. #605
    Alcala Idolator Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,725
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Crusader that means nothing to me. Demo-Man and Vikor were ultimately shot down at one point as well. He-Ro never made it into production.

    This is a line and universe that lives and breathes on the MISFITS of the toy world. This toy line and universe encompasses the underdog. Slush-head, need I say more. Thank you, g'night.
    Vikor and Demo-Man were not shot down, they were the first concepts that evolved into something better. Now 30 years later they got re-introduced because they are interesting designs. I don't recall threads were page after page was filled fans that wanted to speak out against Vikor or Demo-Man when they got revealed ... on the contrary.

    I don't see MOTU as a line that celebrates misfits or underdogs, far from it, although there clearly are some misfits like Snout Spout and Mekaneck it's first and foremost about mighty warriors, powerful sorcerers and beautiful princesses.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

    http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

  6. #606
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    766
    They were shot down because they were concepts that never were actually produced.

    Not unlike The Mighty Spector.

    Being a misfit and underdog doesn't mean you can't be a mighty warrior. King David comes to mind. And that was real life.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

    -CM Punk

  7. #607
    Alcala Idolator Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,725
    I meant 'shot down' as in 'despised, detested, vilified, ...'

    David was only an underdog when he was still a mere shepherd's boy fighting a giant not in his later battles.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

    http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

  8. #608
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Spector doesn't even look like Gambit's son.
    How do we know he wasn't adopted by Gambit and that Barney is the biological father?

  9. #609
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    766
    Something else I wanted to throw in. if Ninjor is OK because he encompasses the pop-culture version of the ninja, than Mighty Spector can sort of evoke the modern American superhero style. So there you go. Booyah again for Mighty Spector.
    Last edited by TheVileOne; September 30, 2011 at 05:21pm.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

    -CM Punk

  10. #610
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Spector can sort of evoke the modern American superhero style. So there you go. Booyah again for Might Spector.
    I just wish he evoked a desire to purchase him and faith in Mattel. I want the fans to win. Producing this abominable design isn't a winning situation for many of us. It's causing division in the fan community, lost subscription sales, and fostering a further loss in confidence in Mattel management.

  11. #611
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    766
    Do you have some financial statistics you care to share with us Hosed Over?
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

    -CM Punk

  12. #612
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Do you have some financial statistics you care to share with us Hosed Over?
    If you want financial statistics then you'll have to contact Mattel, which as we both know they won't provide. It's up to you if you want to ignore the posts of people stating they aren't buying the add on sub because of this figure.

  13. #613
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    766
    People that bash Spector are loud. That doesn't mean they are numerous.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

    -CM Punk

  14. #614
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    14,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    If you want financial statistics then you'll have to contact Mattel, which as we both know they won't provide. It's up to you if you want to ignore the posts of people stating they aren't buying the add on sub because of this figure.
    Anecdotal evidence is a bad indicator of anything. For one thing, people who are unhappy are much more likely to bother commenting. Plus, add on those who have long since grown bored of the back and forth of this (I have, but I did one to make this one last point.) Also, remember Mattel launched these figures without even planning a subscription. There is a sub for it only because fans wanted one.

    The real test of how this character went over will come on his sale date. If he sells out, he was a success (no matter how long it takes.) If not, then he wasn't. Making prognostications and assumptions might be fun but are ultimately pointless.

  15. #615
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    People that bash Spector are loud. That doesn't mean they are numerous.
    Do you have some actual statistics to back up that assertion?

  16. #616
    The Original! guitargod694's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,192
    Debating and discussion is completely welcome here of course...
    But in general, the more we stay to speaking only for ourselves and voicing our own opinions rather than trying to infer a majority stance, the better our discussions/debates will be.

    We don't have any numbers or facts to back up any claims one way or the other about what effects Spector or any other figures have on the line, sales, or customers.
    Bill :: guitargod694

  17. #617
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    The real test of how this character went over will come on his sale date. If he sells out, he was a success (no matter how long it takes.) If not, then he wasn't. Making prognostications and assumptions might be fun but are ultimately pointless.
    Since, according to Mattel, day of sales account for such a small percentage of sales then isn't the 30th Anniversary subscription sales total the best indicator? Furthermore, will the day of sales tell us much since we aren't privy to production numbers? Since Mattel won't release the data will we ever really know if the figure was successful from a sales perspective?

  18. #618
    The Original! guitargod694's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    Since, according to Mattel, day of sales account for such a small percentage of sales then isn't the 30th Anniversary subscription sales total the best indicator? Furthermore, will the day of sales tell us much since we aren't privy to production numbers? Since Mattel won't release the data will we ever really know if the figure was successful from a sales perspective?
    Nope. You won't get any of those numbers.
    Or any other metric for measuring success/failure.
    You might get a yes or no statement from Mattel about whether or not it was successful.
    But that doesn't mean everyone will take that at face value.
    Bill :: guitargod694

  19. #619
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    14,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    Since, according to Mattel, day of sales account for such a small percentage of sales then isn't the 30th Anniversary subscription sales total the best indicator? Furthermore, will the day of sales tell us much since we aren't privy to production numbers? Since Mattel won't release the data will we ever really know if the figure was successful from a sales perspective?
    Well, it's hard to say but, again, the 30th Anniversary sub is a different beast than the main sub. What you say may not apply to it. It's a fan-demanded sub for a group of figures that are complete unknowns that was offered long after the main push of the subs. I would not be surprised if it had far less subscribers than the main one.

    Also, you have to realize - if the figure sells out, it doesn't matter what the production numbers were. They have minimum order quantities for these things. They won't make figures unless they think they can sell enough figures to justify the cost. If they sell out, the figure will be a success in Mattel's eyes - whether it was sold through subs or day of sales.

  20. #620
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Well, it's hard to say but, again, the 30th Anniversary sub is a different beast than the main sub. What you say may not apply to it. It's a fan-demanded sub for a group of figures that are complete unknowns that was offered long after the main push of the subs. I would not be surprised if it had far less subscribers than the main one.

    Also, you have to realize - if the figure sells out, it doesn't matter what the production numbers were. They have minimum order quantities for these things. They won't make figures unless they think they can sell enough figures to justify the cost. If they sell out, the figure will be a success in Mattel's eyes - whether it was sold through subs or day of sales.
    It's strictly conjecture on both our parts. The bottom line is neither one us of actually knows.

    I personally think Spector has had a significant, negative impact on subscriptions sales. Just for fun, I'll be curious to see when, if, and how many pre-orders bbts offers on the 30th Anniversary figures. I think the price increase and opening up subscription sales again was to entice resellers into ordering more product. I wonder if it worked?

  21. #621
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    Do you have some actual statistics to back up that assertion?
    Yup, the number of people here that dislike Spector are not numerous.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

    -CM Punk

  22. #622
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Yup, the number of people here that dislike Spector are not numerous.
    Just for fun, average the character ratings in the reveals thread. I'm off of here. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

  23. #623
    Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Neuthonian Suburbs
    Posts
    2,568
    25 pages in here. Scroll through and count then. I am sure u could figure it out

  24. #624
    Heroic Warrior Moominsthenmotu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    East Kilbride
    Posts
    678
    I've criticised ToyGuru in the past, but he has championed MOTU at Mattel and for that he deserves his own figure in the line... but I see he also got his own figure in DCUC Green Lantern, one 'Nite Lik' or some such figure.
    By his own admission though, we're getting a Marvel reject as a MOTU character... I think I'd rather have MOTUC Lubic.
    In any case, Kudos to TG for what he's done with MOTUC, but, sir, I beg you to revamp Spector.
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

    "Worked on me!"

    "Me too!"

  25. #625
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    766
    I thought the Nite-Lik figure was a Horsemen creation simply named after Neitlich.

    Also, his parts were alternated with the Skallox figure. So it wasn't like he was at the cost of another pre-existing comic character.

    Neitlich is a creative force behind MOTU. Why can't he create a character that is incorporated into the universe?

    25 pages doesn't mean 2,500 different people are saying they hate the Spector.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

    -CM Punk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •