Page 45 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 3015

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

  1. #1101
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    "Upper Management" made a mistake asking for TG et al to create characters who would unite the different story-lines.

    Not only is such a technique likely to be crude & messy (e.g. time-travel), but it is unnecessary. The bios are already the way all of the story-lines are being woven together (ironically creating yet another story-line!).

    Not only is TMS pointless & (too clearly) derivative, but it is yet another way that TG is putting his "stamp" on our favourite story/dolls. He wrote the bios (not a professional writer!) & he has a palace guard look-a-like (a fair homage to TG, in my view) - but when you now add the not-very-exciting TMS to this list, his involvement is too much "creative" input & too little management.

    I'd like to see him fix Digital River/Matty Collector before I am assailed with anymore of his "creativity".

    I'd like Scott to stop doing as writer's job (cos the writing is very bad) or designer's job (cos TMS just isn't interesting) & work harder at his actual job.
    So I take it you won't like the new animated holiday special Mattel is working on, The Mighty Spector Saves Christmas.

  2. #1102
    Heroic Warrior Azrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, CA
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    So I take it you won't like the new animated holiday special Mattel is working on, The Mighty Spector Saves Christmas.

  3. #1103
    Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Alicante, Spain
    Posts
    2,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    As Oscar said: the only thing worse then being talked about is not talked about!
    There are 2 ways of managing this:

    a) I will continue with my character without making any changes even a lot of people desagree about it.

    b) Ill try to do my best in order to improve the character and satisfy fans (AKA people who buy MOTUC).
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

    2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

  4. #1104
    Heroic Warrior WDWFreak53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    There are 2 ways of managing this:

    a) I will continue with my character without making any changes even a lot of people desagree about it.

    b) Ill try to do my best in order to improve the character and satisfy fans (AKA people who buy MOTUC).
    I asked over at Ask Matty and he said the Spade is staying. I don't have a problem as it's his design and it's how he envisions the character. I mean, who are we to say that we know best...it's not like we can walk into an art museum and tell the artist that the painting or sculpture would be better if...

    The piece is complete...whether we like it or not...it's complete and the "artist" feels confident in the work he put out.

    (I'm not directing this towards Snake Hunter even though I quoted his post)

  5. #1105
    Heroic Warrior Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    So I take it you won't like the new animated holiday special Mattel is working on, The Mighty Spector Saves Christmas.
    At the end of The Mighty Spector Saves Christmas, He-Man says "Don't thank me... thank Spector!"
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; October 18, 2011 at 03:09pm.

  6. #1106
    Court Magician Rookjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Aljiba Town
    Posts
    52
    I always thank Spector. Especially for him going back in time and modifying my want lists so they put him at the top of all of them (even my grocery want lists)

  7. #1107
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    153
    I just don't understand this thread. I'm not trying to stop discussion or anything, I just don't understand how there is over 1000 posts (mostly nagging) on this character? I do suppose, however, this is a testament to how serious .orgers take their MotuC (me being one of them). It may have been said before but... anyone who would get a chance to make their own character and get said character into the line, would be crazy not to do it.

    No matter how cool, lame, great, neat, fancy, or stupid (etc...) anyone's character would be... most people are gonna hate on it. That's not to say you can't dislike TMS, but he is here to stay. Take him or leave him.

  8. #1108
    Heroic Warrior Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNgZ View Post
    I just don't understand this thread. I'm not trying to stop discussion or anything, I just don't understand how there is over 1000 posts (mostly nagging) on this character? I do suppose, however, this is a testament to how serious .orgers take their MotuC (me being one of them). It may have been said before but... anyone who would get a chance to make their own character and get said character into the line, would be crazy not to do it.

    No matter how cool, lame, great, neat, fancy, or stupid (etc...) anyone's character would be... most people are gonna hate on it. That's not to say you can't dislike TMS, but he is here to stay. Take him or leave him.
    I think most people are just laughing at the absurdity of it all. You should take everything you read in this forum with a grain of salt. Sure, some people hate the figure, but I think most people are rather indifferent to him at this point. The new guy always gets teased, and right now, Spector is the Rookie. Time will tell if he is truly worthy of the title "Mighty"
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; October 18, 2011 at 03:46pm.

  9. #1109
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNgZ View Post
    I just don't understand this thread. I'm not trying to stop discussion or anything, I just don't understand how there is over 1000 posts (mostly nagging) on this character? I do suppose, however, this is a testament to how serious .orgers take their MotuC (me being one of them). It may have been said before but... anyone who would get a chance to make their own character and get said character into the line, would be crazy not to do it.

    No matter how cool, lame, great, neat, fancy, or stupid (etc...) anyone's character would be... most people are gonna hate on it. That's not to say you can't dislike TMS, but he is here to stay. Take him or leave him.
    What I don't understand is why the site's owners/mods let this go on, but if I voiced the same amount of vitriol on a thread concerning the creation of a forum member, I'd see my posts deleted immediately & probably be banned.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  10. #1110
    sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,139
    Itīs not that the spade is that bad, but the heroic skull symbol is so much more awesome, i want that so bad now
    Letīs make an interchangeable chest plate! Otherwise i have to create a sticker to stick over it! What a fiddling

  11. #1111
    Heroic Warrior Balthus Dire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    What I don't understand is why the site's owners/mods let this go on, but if I voiced the same amount of vitriol on a thread concerning the creation of a forum member, I'd see my posts deleted immediately & probably be banned.
    I think the difference here is that nobody is locked in to buy a crappy custom or crappy fan-design. If they don't like it, they have no obligation to buy it, so there's no fan-rage associated with it. However, for those who have the 30th sub, they have no choice on whether or not they purchase TMS, so they're obviously going to be a bit more vocal if they're unhappy with the figure.

  12. #1112
    The Original! guitargod694's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    What I don't understand is why the site's owners/mods let this go on, but if I voiced the same amount of vitriol on a thread concerning the creation of a forum member, I'd see my posts deleted immediately & probably be banned.
    I don't want to single you out or anything, but we've seen this come up a few times so I'm going to address it.

    There are a ton of posts in this thread that are generally negative toward The Mighty Spector, true.
    But none of these are insults to ToyGuru.
    If there are, please report those posts and we'll get rid of them.

    The Mighty Spector is a figure in this line just like any other and is open for debate and criticism.
    We didn't delete all the posts about how bad Clawful, Leech, Snake Man-At-Arms, etc... are either.

    Like I said, not trying to single you out, but I keep hearing that we are permitting people to rip Spector/ToyGuru apart and I don't agree.
    If you can show me the posts you are referring to, I'd be happy to moderate them.

    Thanks!
    Bill :: guitargod694

  13. #1113
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    I don't want to single you out or anything, but we've seen this come up a few times...

    There are a ton of posts in this thread that are generally negative toward The Mighty Spector, true.
    But none of these are insults to ToyGuru.
    If there are, please report those posts and we'll get rid of them.

    The Mighty Spector is a figure in this line just like any other and is open for debate and criticism.
    We didn't delete all the posts about how bad Clawful, Leech, Snake Man-At-Arms, etc... are either.

    Like I said, not trying to single you out, but I keep hearing that we are permitting people to rip Spector/ToyGuru apart and I don't agree.
    If you can show me the posts you are referring to, I'd be happy to moderate them.

    Thanks!
    That's OK. I opened my mouth(so to speak), so I deserved to be singled out. I think people have the right to complain, but a lot of the aggression towards TMS seems to lead to questioning ToyGuru's professionalism, ethics, intelligence & talent(at least with some forum members). I'm all for free speech, but I just feel that there is a lot more leeway when it comes to trashing Scott then if I did so with another forum member. Maybe my opinion is based on other recent threads & not just this one, but I know I'm not alone in thinking this.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  14. #1114
    The Original! guitargod694's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    That's OK. I opened my mouth(so to speak), so I deserved to be singled out. I think people have the right to complain, but a lot of the aggression towards TMS seems to lead to questioning ToyGuru's professionalism, ethics, intelligence & talent(at least with some forum members). I'm all for free speech, but I just feel that there is a lot more leeway when it comes to trashing Scott then if I did so with another forum member. Maybe my opinion is based on other recent threads & not just this one, but I know I'm not alone in thinking this.
    There certainly have been posts that have crossed the line from criticism and opinion into insult.
    And we try to catch all of those and edit/delete them.
    Like I said, if you see some that you think we've missed, please do use the report post function.
    Bill :: guitargod694

  15. #1115
    Heroic Warrior Azrael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, CA
    Posts
    835
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    I mean, who are we to say that we know best...it's not like we can walk into an art museum and tell the artist that the painting or sculpture would be better if..The piece is complete...whether we like it or not...it's complete and the "artist" feels confident in the work he put out.
    Who are we? we are the consumers & supporters of this product, that's who.
    Suffice to say, it definitely can use an improvement and many have made
    contribution that have vastly improved the character to streamline it in with
    the rest of the characters. The "artist" may feel that the work he made
    as a child is "good enough", but not everyone will agree.

  16. #1116
    Heroic Warrior WDWFreak53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Who are we? we are the consumers & supporters of this product, that's who.
    Suffice to say, it definitely can use an improvement and many have made
    contribution that have vastly improved the character to streamline it in with
    the rest of the characters. The "artist" may feel that the work he made
    as a child is "good enough", but not everyone will agree.
    Well...that's a risk that he has the right to take. Not all art is for everyone :-)

    I don't think he's too bad but there are things I would change but you can't please everybody.

  17. #1117
    Heroic Warrior Hosed Ovor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    I asked over at Ask Matty and he said the Spade is staying. I don't have a problem as it's his design and it's how he envisions the character. I mean, who are we to say that we know best...it's not like we can walk into an art museum and tell the artist that the painting or sculpture would be better if...

    The piece is complete...whether we like it or not...it's complete and the "artist" feels confident in the work he put out.

    (I'm not directing this towards Snake Hunter even though I quoted his post)
    Mattel isn't in the art business. They are in the toy business. Scott isn't an artist. He is the brand manager. The line will continue to survive as long as there is a demand for the products. As the brand manager, Scott is paid to choose products that fans will purchase.

    As Scott has previously stated, Mattel has a world class research facility and they do tons of research. Mattel supposedly spends ungodly amounts of time and money to determine what their customers want. Unfortunately, that's not why the Spector design is being produced.

    Scott should have attempted to create a character for the line that would have mass appeal to fans instead of choosing to produce his boyhood dream character. To further exacerbate the problem Scott has insisted that their will be no changes to the character despite overwhelming criticism. It reflects poorly on a manager to put personal wants above the success of a product line.

  18. #1118
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Toyguru's closet ^_^
    Posts
    2,152
    I question whether people criticizing Scott's "design" realize that he had to recreate from memory and DICTATE that to the DESIGNER- technically you should be directing part of the criticism to the concept artist who actually put the piece together in the first place.

  19. #1119
    sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    Mattel isn't in the art business. They are in the toy business. Scott isn't an artist. He is the brand manager. The line will continue to survive as long as there is a demand for the products. As the brand manager, Scott is paid to choose products that fans will purchase.

    As Scott has previously stated, Mattel has a world class research facility and they do tons of research. Mattel supposedly spends ungodly amounts of time and money to determine what their customers want. Unfortunately, that's not why the Spector design is being produced.

    Scott should have attempted to create a character for the line that would have mass appeal to fans instead of choosing to produce his boyhood dream character. To further exacerbate the problem Scott has insisted that their will be no changes to the character despite overwhelming criticism. It reflects poorly on a manager to put personal wants above the success of a product line.
    Amen to that! That is a vallid point.

  20. #1120
    Heroic Warrior Emiliano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Palermo, Italy
    Posts
    6,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    As Scott has previously stated, Mattel has a world class research facility and they do tons of research. Mattel supposedly spends ungodly amounts of time and money to determine what their customers want.
    And still, we've been told time and time again this line has no budget. All the money goes into the figures and there is nothing for anything less.
    I'm still wondering where the ungodly amounts of money spent for research come from.

  21. #1121
    SUBSCRIBE OR DIE!!! mick4metal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Posts
    1,040
    world class, world class, world class research!!!!! It's like when you tell that little snot nosed kid that you got something cool but he says he always has something better than you. When you know the little ******* is lying.
    Last edited by mick4metal; October 19, 2011 at 03:57am.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

  22. #1122
    Heroic Warrior Inhibitor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,706
    Sadly, I believe we're seeing a definite rift between Scott and the org. So Spector was something of a vanity project... I'd rather just let it go. Alot of these comments are really needlessly antagonizing and it helps to put some of Scott's comments in perspective.

    But not entirely excusable.

    TG, don't even think about turning your back on this community! Let's drop this back and forth already. We are fans and all that entails. Lots of cheers and sometimes, lots of boos. Even the hometeam gets an earful occasionally. Fact is, you need to hear the bad along with the good.

    Maybe we got spoiled along the way and thought there was nothing that could rattle you. Maybe it's finally starting to. You really put yourself out there and I can't help but think the overall reaction to the figure might have gotten to you. It's gotten to me, not because I'm into the design, but because I have respect for you.

    We have alot going on this year and it's kind of surreal to see this rift developing. The honeymoon might have been over alooooonnnnggg time ago, but a divorce of sorts could be just around the corner. That goes for all of us. Let's try to meet in the middle somewhere and refrain from getting too emotionally charged up. I know it's not gonna end well if the fans and the brand manager keep sniping at each other. Stop doing it!

    Peace.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

  23. #1123
    The Original! guitargod694's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,192
    I'm just going to leave this here and hopefully we'll get the point:

    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Also, everyone here should have read and be following our Board conduct guidelines, rules and how-tos (which we are going to be streamlining here in the near future along with the addition of an Infraction system).
    But I want to call attention to some terms that have gotten out of hand, plus give you some helpful guidelines for communicating with each other.

    For anyone here calls someone or a group of people here on the Org or another forum
    - purist
    - hater
    - cry baby
    - whiner
    - apologist
    - or any word of a similar nature (I will update this list if need be)
    I have two words for you:
    stop it.

    I'm sorry to sound harsh about this, but we're all supposed to be adults. Plus, we're also talking about toys.
    There is no reason to get into insults just because you have a differing point of view.

    But because some of you aren't getting the message, we're going to get a bit more hardcore about this.
    Respecting your fellow members is one of our cardinal rules here on the Org!
    So from here on out, expect warnings, suspensions and even bannings if you can't stop with the insults.

    If you want to disagree with someone's opinion on He-Man.org, that's fine.
    As long as you handle your opposing view point constructively and respectfully, and don't resort to childish insults, hostile comments and/or inappropriate remarks, you can always voice your opinion.

    Therefore, remarks like the ones I listed above need to stop here on these forums.
    Just because someone says something that you don't agree with does not make it okay to belittle someone else's opinion.
    It's very disrespectful to your fellow fans, and we try not to do that here at He-Man.org.

    You wouldn't want someone insulting you for what you hope to see in a toy line.
    So let's show mutual respect in that regard.

    If you see a comment or post that sparks an immediate response of a differing opinion, please count to 10 to relax first, then put yourself in the other person's shoes for a moment and think about where they are coming from before you reply.
    It's very important to not immediately go on the defensive. Most folks aren't trying to be insulting. Yes, some are, but most really are not.
    After you've taken a moment to reflect and you find that you still disagree, hopefully your reply will then be more even keel because you've thought about it a bit more.
    It may sound silly, but it really does help.

    We're all guilty of knee-jerk replies, where we let our emotions sometimes take control of us.
    If we were all standing around face-to-face, it would certainly be different.
    But online, it pays to be a bit more choosy with our words.

    Also, for folks who feel they've been insulted or attacked by another user:

    Do not take the matter into your own hands! That just makes things worse.
    Instead, report it and let the mods handle the situation!

    Click on the Report Post feature of the post you feel has attacked or insulted you.
    The Report Post link is found at the very bottom of a person's name/avatar/location/post count box, and looks like a little white triangle with a red line around it and a black line down the middle.
    When you click on it, you will be prompted with a box where you must explain what you feel is wrong with the post you are reporting, followed by a "Send Report" button that you click on.
    Mods will review the post and take action in a manner they see fitting. You may or may not hear back from the mods about a reported post.

    There is also a list of moderators and what sections they moderate found at the bottom of the main forum index under the View Forum Leaders link if you'd like to talk to them directly about another matter.

    But, turn about is fair play:

    If you want respect, you have to give respect. Even if you aren't using the specified terms at the top of this post, you can still end up sounding rude or insulting with your opinion.

    It's very important we all do our best to be as constructive and respectful with our opinions as possible.
    It doesn't matter if you're talking about other users, other forums or Mattel.
    Please treat others the way you want to be treated. It's a very simple policy that will almost always help everyone out in the end.

    Thanks!
    Bill :: guitargod694

  24. #1124
    Johan Eggink Eterniandreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,600
    Thank you!

  25. #1125
    HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    4,195
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    That's OK. I opened my mouth(so to speak), so I deserved to be singled out. I think people have the right to complain, but a lot of the aggression towards TMS seems to lead to questioning ToyGuru's professionalism, ethics, intelligence & talent(at least with some forum members). I'm all for free speech, but I just feel that there is a lot more leeway when it comes to trashing Scott then if I did so with another forum member. Maybe my opinion is based on other recent threads & not just this one, but I know I'm not alone in thinking this.
    There is a marked difference between a forum member's efforts in creating a character or custom and a professionally made figure that is being produced (regardless of whether the source is 4H, TG, Nathan Bitner, or whoever) and sold as part of the 30th anniversary celebration of Masters of the Universe.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •