Page 53 of 121 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 3015

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

  1. #1301
    Heroic Warrior orkothewizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antwerp (Belgium)
    Posts
    354
    If you think like a ten year old of how someone comes up with a name and look for a figure you can see he just combined a lot of existing charachters at the time.

    mighty: came from mighty mouse
    spector: came from inspector gadget
    overall look: deadpool
    weaponbelt and colour: xmen cyclops

    This is what I first thought when I saw the figure and heard the name.
    I can't erase my childhood memories of other cartoonfigures and think oh man what a great original motucfigure.

    Remember vintage motu figures mostely had abilities that the actual figure could do.
    Fe. snout spout, DB skeletor and kahn could spray water, extendar could extend, ratlor ratelled, most figures where wariors that had spring arms or hips to fight.
    That motuc figures can't do that is no shame and acceptable.
    But if spector was made 30 years ago as a vintage figure what playable ability would the figure then have got?
    Would it have said on the back of the card: to make him timetravel throw him as far as you can true the room? And if you brake something your parents will timetravel the figure to the bin and your ass in the corner.

    My point is every vintage figure had a playable ability in some form and that is what made a motu figure. It didn't mather if he was barbarian, ninja, cowboy, snake or elephant.
    Photog would have been playable with his camera and draego would had sprinklings like saurod.
    But tms would have got what?
    That's why a lot of us don't feel like he belongs in the motuworld.

    For a 30th anniversaryline when creating new figures they forget in my opinion with tms the most important thing that makes any figure a motu figure and that's playability. It's not because motuc figures don't include that now that it should be forgotten when creating new charachters.
    Finding a name or making a figure is easy but making him motu is not just using old bodyparts, it's going back and thinking what the figures where created for in the first place: to play with when you're a kid.

    How tms could ever fit in to the motuworld is a mistake I think. And no bio is going to change that for me.
    Ask yourself this Q: if you went to the toystore when you were a kid and could choose a motufigure out of the whole motu rack, would you have bought tms or would you choose any other figure that had playability?

    A 30th anniversaryline new figure should remenis the feeling of why you liked those figures so much as a kid and why you still love them now.
    Last edited by orkothewizard; October 27, 2011 at 01:19pm.
    I have the real power!

    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/orkothewizard?feature=mhee

  2. #1302
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,883
    Plenty of vintage motu didn't have an action-feature gimmick--outside of the power punch. The majority of those are the most iconic characters. Not that Spector is in the same league, but c'mon. He's got some neat weapons and such, and if he was in the vintage line he'd have been just as playable as any other figure. Having a silly gimmick doesn't automatically make one figure or character better than another.

  3. #1303
    Heroic Warrior Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Plenty of vintage motu didn't have an action-feature gimmick--outside of the power punch. The majority of those are the most iconic characters. Not that Spector is in the same league, but c'mon. He's got some neat weapons and such, and if he was in the vintage line he'd have been just as playable as any other figure. Having a silly gimmick doesn't automatically make one figure or character better than another.
    Yes, Mighty Spector would have most likely had the standard 'power punch' action feature. I could also see them giving him light up eyes in the 80s, or clear plastic used for the eyes that glow under lights. Or they could have given him glow in the dark parts. Heck, his cosmic key could have been a mini-rocket launcher. Plenty of action features they could have given a figure like this back in the day, so I don't see that being a problem.

    I think the deciding factor for me will be when I get Spector and display him with the other figures. Tell then, I will reserve judgment.

  4. #1304
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,336
    It`s not that TG got his childhood figure...

    It`s that he wants us to pay money for it...

    If I would be TG, I would make sure, that my design for the 30th anniversary would blow the fans`heads off!!!

  5. #1305
    Heroic Warrior orkothewizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antwerp (Belgium)
    Posts
    354
    In what vintage wave would you place tms?

    True the first waves didn't have the action features but they are iconic figures from the cartoon so no mather what they look like, every motufan has accepted them.
    They where and are main charachters that kids chose because they liked them.

    Heman, skeletor, hordak, MAA, teela, evelyn are so iconic that tms can't be fit in with those.
    All lather figures and waves did have action features and people can see photog and draegoman would have fitted in in these waves because they don't represent iconic figures and would have gotten action features if created for the vintage line.

    Where do you put spector to represent a 30th celebration, in what vintage wave would he fit and what makes him classic?

    If you look at a motu figure it must be obvious what he is or does just by looking at the figure or the name on the package.
    If you ask someone that doesn't know motu to look at rioblast and ask what he is they will say a cowboy that blasts with a lot of guns. Photog a camera dude, ninjor a ninja, snoutspout an elephant that spouts.
    If you let them look at spector they will say is he from the new movie xmen5: the mighty dude.
    If someone will say just by looking at the name or figure that he is a timetraveller I will eat my magic hat
    I have the real power!

    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/orkothewizard?feature=mhee

  6. #1306
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,804
    Quote Originally Posted by orkothewizard View Post
    In what vintage wave would you place tms?

    True the first waves didn't have the action features but they are iconic figures from the cartoon so no mather what they look like, every motufan has accepted them.
    They where and are main charachters that kids chose because they liked them.

    Heman, skeletor, hordak, MAA, teela, evelyn are so iconic that tms can't be fit in with those.
    All lather figures and waves did have action features and people can see photog and draegoman would have fitted in in these waves because they don't represent iconic figures and would have gotten action features if created for the vintage line.

    Where do you put spector to represent a 30th celebration, in what vintage wave would he fit and what makes him classic?

    If you look at a motu figure it must be obvious what he is or does just by looking at the figure or the name on the package.
    If you ask someone that doesn't know motu to look at rioblast and ask what he is they will say a cowboy that blasts with a lot of guns. Photog a camera dude, ninjor a ninja, snoutspout an elephant that spouts.
    If you let them look at spector they will say is he from the new movie xmen5: the mighty dude.
    If someone will say just by looking at the name or figure that he is a timetraveller I will eat my magic hat

    What would a 'time-traveler' look like? Hypothetically...

    PERSONALLY, if I was to place him in a 'wave'... it would probably be one of the last waves. Either around the movie figures, or the king Randor/sorceress/clamp champ wave.

    He would have 'whip flailing' action attack as a gimmick

    ALSO, I would have made him of that 'turn cold/make invisible' type of plastic... giving him a space ghost kind of feel to him. He's a time traveler, but can't let people know that he's interferring with the time stream....

    Hence bringing in the 'Spec-Tor name.


    Granted in MOTUC we don't get ANY of these kind of features... so a classicized version of MY spector.... would probably look pretty similiar to what we're getting

  7. #1307
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    6,992
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    So, what makes the character is the name? Shouldnīt the visuals be killer? As soon as the first Horde Prime picture was shown, the audience should have cheered. But they didnīt until after the name was revealed.
    I know I am polemic, but sometimes one has to be, to make a point ;-)
    I won't argue the details of when a cheer needs to happen in order to validate a design, but if the room was anything like me, they were trying to figure out what the bleep they were looking at because HP has never had a very familiar design. Once I got who it was, I thought it looked pretty good, but I kind of needed to make that ID connection first. TMS isn't familiar either, but his reveal definitely came with more of a "meh" within me that HP and Draego-Man did not have.

  8. #1308
    Fighting Foe Fan Whiplash7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,883
    Yeah, good points, back then he might have been a bit different. He would have been called "Time-ster" or something and might have had a clock on his chest or some other gimmick. Those kind of gimmicky names and action features aren't needed any more and weren't always a good idea to begin with, imo...
    Anyway, I understand that people don't like the figure, but damn, you'd think it was ruining people's lives or something.

  9. #1309
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    6,992
    Quote Originally Posted by orkothewizard View Post
    In what vintage wave would you place tms?
    Honestly he feels PoG or even NA era more than classic. It's hard to guage that since NA characters are being changed to reuse parts they didn't reuse originally. Likewise figures from later in the vintage line will reuse parts they did not before. Who knows what Spector might have looked like if he'd been sculpted with his own unique parts like figures in the late 80s and early 90s had.

  10. #1310
    Heroic Warrior Eternian Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,837
    Time-Or

    Watch-Or

    Sekond-Or

    Last edited by Eternian Poet; October 27, 2011 at 05:01pm.
    ***
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

  11. #1311
    Heroic Warrior orkothewizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antwerp (Belgium)
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Honestly he feels PoG or even NA era more than classic. It's hard to guage that since NA characters are being changed to reuse parts they didn't reuse originally. Likewise figures from later in the vintage line will reuse parts they did not before. Who knows what Spector might have looked like if he'd been sculpted with his own unique parts like figures in the late 80s and early 90s had.
    I don't find that tms would fit on the box art of eternia or on the backside of the tyrantisaur.
    NA I don't see him either but maybe I would fit him in to NA because NA was for me a turningpoint as a kid and didn't like that motu.

    But with his special ability he can travel into every timeline so he doesn't need to look motu at all.
    The way I see it is they could name this figure whatever they want, he could look like whatever figure and they could still justify he's motu because his bio says so
    Let's make a timetraveller, how should he look: give him a lash to whip people, some tights and a spade on his shest if you brainstorm a little is this the best you can come up with?
    Why not give him an hourglass on his shest or an hourglass like the timekeepers of the 4HM in his hand he can use as a hammer to crack some skulls. A cosmic key in his other hand and a body that looks like he rules the world and people would say hey he looks like he's a cool timetraveller.

    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    It`s not that TG got his childhood figure...

    It`s that he wants us to pay money for it...

    If I would be TG, I would make sure, that my design for the 30th anniversary would blow the fans`heads off!!!
    Wright, he doesn't blow heads of now, he just blows
    Last edited by orkothewizard; October 27, 2011 at 06:03pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I have the real power!

    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/orkothewizard?feature=mhee

  12. #1312
    Heroic Warrior Marvelous0ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Outside of Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    6,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    It`s not that TG got his childhood figure...

    It`s that he wants us to pay money for it...

    If I would be TG, I would make sure, that my design for the 30th anniversary would blow the fans`heads off!!!
    Exactly! If Toyguru wanted the figure. I'm sure The Four Horsemen would have made one specifically for him. And he could keep it on his desk for himself to admire only. Now I am stuck paying $30 for him! $30 could be saved and used to buy another figure. One that I do find interesting and cool!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

  13. #1313
    Heroic Warrior Smashtoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Thrilla in Manila
    Posts
    237
    Spector was created with one specific Fan in mind, TG. He wasn't created because the design was cool, or if he was toyetic, or an action feature could be incorporated with him, or because he won a contest, or if the MOTU Fanbase would simply "buy" him.

    He was created for Scott first then the other Fans later, and I think it should have been the other way around (like how the 4h did Draego-man).
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

  14. #1314
    Heroic Warrior orkothewizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antwerp (Belgium)
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Yeah, good points, back then he might have been a bit different. He would have been called "Time-ster" or something and might have had a clock on his chest or some other gimmick. Those kind of gimmicky names and action features aren't needed any more and weren't always a good idea to begin with, imo...
    Anyway, I understand that people don't like the figure, but damn, you'd think it was ruining people's lives or something.
    A cool name at the time would have been CALEN-DAR.
    A clock on his shest is a beastie boys trademark.

    Those kind of gimmicky names and action features is what made motu stand out and made it motu at the time.
    Why change that concept for an anniversary celebration?

    Tms is certainly not ruining my life, just ruining and changing motu concepts that we grew up with. Wait for the bio and wait for the comic and then we all wish we could travel in time
    I have the real power!

    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/orkothewizard?feature=mhee

  15. #1315
    Heroic Warrior Smashtoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Thrilla in Manila
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by orkothewizard View Post
    ...Wait for the bio and wait for the comic and then we all wish we could travel in time
    Good one!
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

  16. #1316
    Alcala Idolator Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,722
    Quote Originally Posted by orkothewizard View Post
    Tms is certainly not ruining my life, just ruining and changing motu concepts that we grew up with. Wait for the bio and wait for the comic and then we all wish we could travel in time
    Right on !!!
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

    http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

  17. #1317
    Heroic Warrior orkothewizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antwerp (Belgium)
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Exactly! If Toyguru wanted the figure. I'm sure The Four Horsemen would have made one specifically for him. And he could keep it on his desk for himself to admire only. Now I am stuck paying $30 for him! $30 could be saved and used to buy another figure. One that I do find interesting and cool!
    Absolutely wright and I got 2 anni subs so that doubles the pain

    I've got to work a day to pay for an other mans ego.
    What a celebration, whoohoo

    That's like demanding a 60 dollars donation for the make a wish fund of our brandmanager.
    If he goes on sale the button next to the figure should say donate now instead of buy now.
    Poor matty thanks us
    Last edited by orkothewizard; October 27, 2011 at 08:05pm.
    I have the real power!

    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/orkothewizard?feature=mhee

  18. #1318
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,336
    Most MOTU figures have some kind of medieval touch to them, with furry loincloths, axes, shields, swords...

    Also some "techno" guys like Roboto or the Horde have some old school stuff like crossbows or axes...

    I would buy a viking Gar with a white beard or a orkish-like guy with some armor and a blaster, those would be more MOTU than MS...

    I hope the last 3 are better than that...

  19. #1319
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    6,992
    Quote Originally Posted by orkothewizard View Post
    I don't find that tms would fit on the box art of eternia or on the backside of the tyrantisaur.
    NA I don't see him either but maybe I would fit him in to NA because NA was for me a turningpoint as a kid and didn't like that motu.
    I'm thinking along the lines of the MOTU line when it started to feature the dinosaurs with PoG labels, so Extendar, Laser Light He-Man and Skeletor, Dragstor--that era when we were well and truly leaving behind the sword and sorcery for more sci-fi stuff. And if he were in there, he'd have featured more original parts than the MOTUC version does.

  20. #1320
    Casual Fan slackrguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    What would a 'time-traveler' look like? Hypothetically...
    like this

    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

    If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

  21. #1321
    HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    4,167
    In case anyone is curious, TMS is kinda getting slaughtered in the poll.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

  22. #1322
    Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Rideau Lakes, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,716
    Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    Bea Arthur once played Dr. Who? (top row, 2nd from right)

  23. #1323
    Casual Fan slackrguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,406
    Quote Originally Posted by marndt8448 View Post
    Bea Arthur once played Dr. Who? (top row, 2nd from right)
    hahaha, that was a great laugh, thanks for that.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

    If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

  24. #1324
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,804
    Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    ROFL!!!!

    Very nice


    I still think MOTU is the wrong franchise to complain about people 'looking' like a time traveler. I mean, we have a shelf with Loincloth and battle axes... next to cowboys with Laser guns... next to Spacemen with Jet packs.

    There is no linear timeline in MOTU. It all crams together like the bottom of a toy box.

    The best case scenario would be to have him in some kind of ancient outdated fashion like Ascots and bowties... but then people would complain about 'earth fashion' in the line.

    Though... I think a reuse of Scareglow's cape might have been pretty sweet

  25. #1325
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    What nobody seems to be addressing though... is why does a 90's comic book character NOT fit into the MOTU line?? Or a GI Joe commando type character?

    MOTU has always combined all genres and all themes together rather well... It STARTED as a sci-fi/barbarian mix.... and then went on to add ninjas, cyborgs, cowboys, mermaids, fireman with elephant heads... We have Giant Eyeballs in a mech suit... and a flying monkey with a jetpack....

    now people look at a character like this... and say NO... HE doesn't fit in!!

    It confuses me...

    YES, it's an uninspired design.... YES, he'll never be a favorite character...

    but he fits the line.

    Considering how few 'new' parts he has... How can ANY character that shares the same body NOT fit in the storyline???

    If anything... with the great melting pot of the MOTU world... super-hero was one of the MOST needed ingrediant.

    Heck, I remember a thread that stated that SHE-RA was a 'super-hero' archtype. There's nothing about her that screams barbarian... or even really 'warrior'. The gold colors, cape and the mini-skirt are much more 'super-hero' than any of the OTHER characters.... and Nobody (well.. almost nobody) says that SHE doesn't fit the line.


    With a line as varied as MOTU... I don't honestly expect anything NEW and CREATIVE.... It's all been DONE before. The best we can hope for is like the '87 movie... where there are new and interesting characters... who are direct rip offs of long established characters... and are kind of redundant in their own right.
    Based on the type of characters who have been released for MOTU over the years, there's no reason why Spector wouldn't fit. I can understand people saying they don't like him or don't want a superhero looking toy in MOTU, but so far all of the reasons for why Spector supposedly doesn't fit in MOTU don't make any sense to me. The first wave for MOTU 30 years ago featured a barabrian, a flying ape, & a spaceman. One of the last waves featured a cowboy, a ninja, & a human go-cart.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •