Page 57 of 121 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 3015

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    It's been confirmed that all 30th Anniversary figures (minus the fan contest winner) will be featured in the mini-comics (at least one panel). So, that means The Mighty Spector is in the Powers of Grayskull story. Just like we remember.
    I hope it'll be no more then a "where's Waldo?" kind of appearance, but I'm quite sure it won't ... Spector is going to pop up to save the day.

I'm telling you, this thread won't disappear for quite a while
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior
    Spector is going to pop up to save the day.
    Yeah... I have the exact same feeling about this. And it makes me nauseous...

I'm telling you, this thread won't disappear for quite a while
    I think you're probably right, Crusader !

It's been confirmed that all 30th Anniversary figures (minus the fan contest winner) will be featured in the mini-comics (at least one panel). So, that means The Mighty Spector is in the Powers of Grayskull story. Just like we remember.

What sucks is that none of them were in the first issue, meaning they all get shoe-horned into the last two.

Unless one did show up in the first mini comic, and without this context we thought it was a Red Shirt.

I'm on vacation. Quick! Someone that was at SDCC, go grab your mini comic!
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

I still think about this and laugh to myself:

Quote Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6041/...88845844_b.jpg

Haahahahahaha! that is hilarious!!!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Was it a slow painful agonizing death? great comic, I would prefer Poochie in MOTU, hell I'll even take roy! Spector really seems like the Poochie of MOTU at this point huh?
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I'll say it again: Beam him up, Scotty !!!
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

I'm serious- I'm almost willing to forgive Spector's existence for that comic strip alone. Definitely the funniest thing I've seen on here.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Offcourse he is gonna appear in the comic and save the day, did anyone here aspect something different?

Don't fall over if the new movie in 2013 is called THE MIGHTIEST OF THE UNIVERSE and the leading act goes to TG. I would put LOL after this sentense but I'm gonna cry if that would happen
    I have the real power!

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/orkothewizard?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by orkothewizard View Post
    Don't fall over if the new movie in 2013 is called THE MIGHTIEST OF THE UNIVERSE and the leading act goes to TG.
    The Mighty Guru and the Spectors of the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    The Mighty Guru and the Spectors of the Universe
    LOL we can laugh about it but I'm shure TG and mattel are thinking and dreaming about it. They got more aces (of spades) up their sleaves then we can hope for

In the credits of the movie it will say: costumes- special thanks to the Marvel company
    Last edited by orkothewizard; November 2, 2011 at 07:19pm.
    I have the real power!

My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/orkothewizard?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    The fact of the matter is that there was never a need to exploit
    his position, especially if the 4H can simply construct him
    a personal replica of Spector specifically for him. Taking that approach
    would have also avoided any negative fan backlash since it is the fans
    that will be paying for it.
    I doubt Toyguru's bosses would've been too happy with him spending thousands of tooling dollars on a one-of-a-kind figure just for him. No, the only way his dream figure was going to become a reality was by making it a regular figure.

Last I heard, TG is starring as He-Man in the upcoming movie. He's also playing Spector, Skeletor and Teela as well.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Last I heard, TG is starring as He-Man in the upcoming movie. He's also playing Spector, Skeletor and Teela as well.
    last i heard, he-man, skeletor, and teela only make cameo's in the movie now starring TG as spector.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I doubt Toyguru's bosses would've been too happy with him spending thousands of tooling dollars on a one-of-a-kind figure just for him. No, the only way his dream figure was going to become a reality was by making it a regular figure.
    I'm sorry, but "thousands of tooling dollars" is a bit of an over estimation.
    It only costs that much when you mass produce it. I can customize something far more complex than Spector that would only cost me around 60USD (thats inclusive of the price of the MOTUC buck which is already around 30USD with shipping). I have a custom MOTUC Bravestarr on my work table that only cost me around 62USD to make.

Arguably, Spector is already basically a figure created just for TG under the guise of a mass-produced figure. Its pretty obvious that TMS was created with pleasing Scott primarily, and the rest of the MOTU fans secondarily.

Love TMS or hate him, none of us can deny that given a choice for a 30th anniv figure, fans would choose any of the missing main characters in MOTU over Spector.
    Last edited by Smashtoys; November 2, 2011 at 11:17pm. Reason: Grammatical errors
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    What sucks is that none of them were in the first issue, meaning they all get shoe-horned into the last two.

Unless one did show up in the first mini comic, and without this context we thought it was a Red Shirt.

I'm on vacation. Quick! Someone that was at SDCC, go grab your mini comic!
    Possibilities:

- Giant snake a Snakeman is riding
    - Sorceress Teela
    - Random Snakeman (couple of them)

I know Geoff Johns isn't any of these based on the very vague description of him having a power source and Roboto's loin cloth (I think it's Roboto's). No clues were given to Terry's character. Photog, Draego-Man are not in the first one. The Mighty Spector COULD be one of the shadowed characters in the background.

TG said the art from the mini-comics will be used on the back of their cards for their bios. So, I think we will very clearly see them in at least 1 of the next two mini-comics. I HOPE for them to be in a two panel 80's Eternia type poster. THAT would be cool, because then we would see all the new figures fighting it out, you know? I'd like that.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    The fact of the matter is that there was never a need to exploit
    his position, especially if the 4H can simply construct him
    a personal replica of Spector specifically for him. Taking that approach
    would have also avoided any negative fan backlash since it is the fans
    that will be paying for it.
    Bahhhhh that wouldn't make everyone happy either! Then there would a super secret MOTUC figure out there that the completists couldn't have... It'd be Spirit of Grayskull all over again...

the Rioting would be out of control!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smashtoys View Post
    Knowing that you know a whole bunch of people who are more qualified/talented to design the character, would you still do it?
    I love the concept about who is qualified and who isn't... Simply put, it doesn't require TALENT or QUALIFICATIONS to design a MOTU figure. It never did. It's all a mix and match from a bunch of reusable parts with an accessory or two tossed in.

How can people say that Spector wasn't a 'quality' figure... when he's sold side by side with Photog... who was made by a... XXX year old child? (anyone know how old Bitner was when the contest was made??) And is part of a celebration with a NEW Create a figure, resulting in thousands of entries being turned in by people with no qualifications or 'official' talent.

As much as we all love MOTU, we REALLY need to keep the franchise in perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Bahhhhh that wouldn't make everyone happy either! Then there would a super secret MOTUC figure out there that the completists couldn't have... It'd be Spirit of Grayskull all over again...

the Rioting would be out of control!!!!

I love the concept about who is qualified and who isn't... Simply put, it doesn't require TALENT or QUALIFICATIONS to design a MOTU figure. It never did. It's all a mix and match from a bunch of reusable parts with an accessory or two tossed in.

How can people say that Spector wasn't a 'quality' figure... when he's sold side by side with Photog... who was made by a... XXX year old child? (anyone know how old Bitner was when the contest was made??) And is part of a celebration with a NEW Create a figure, resulting in thousands of entries being turned in by people with no qualifications or 'official' talent.

As much as we all love MOTU, we REALLY need to keep the franchise in perspective...
    Please re-read my post. it says "more qualified".
    a Brand Manager vs professional designer, which of the two is more qualified?

With regards to your comment that designing MOTU does not require talent or qualifications; I'm sorry but I'll flat out call it preposterous.

I guess Mattel doesn't need to hire the 4H to do re-design work then?

Compare the design of the early MOTU characters (let's use Trap Jaw) vs Photog. It's apparent that Trapjaw's design is superior to Photog's. Thats the difference between having someone with talent doing the design vs a design of an 8 year old kid's.

Photog's "controversial" design became part of the MOTU because among the participants (who were all CHILDREN btw), his design was the strongest.

Spector was designed by an 8(?) year old Scott. It didn't win the contest. Back in 1986(?), Spector's design didn't cut it. Keep in mind that this was contest where only kids could join.

The NEW Create-a-figure contest is now open to ADULTS (not just for kids like in the 1986 contest).
    I expect Mattel would be getting thousands of designs from talents and professionals this time around, do you actually think TG's design, as an 8 year old, would fare better now that it would warrant Spector an actual shot of winning a slot in the new contest?

Next to the rest of MOTU, Photog is a weak design, but it was made by an 8(?) year old kid. Bitner didn't have 25 years to think about his design, he doesn't have the Four Horseman in his employ, and he doesn't have a toy design team at his disposal.

Spector was designed by a young Scott Nietlich. He grew up to be the Brand Manager of MOTU. He knows the Four Horsemen, and he does have a design team at his disposal. He's had 25 years to think about re-designing Spector before the chance to create him presented itself.

Ask yourself, Does MOTU really need another "Photog" knowing we have the means to create something so much better? Doesn't it bother you just the tiniest bit? Even if it doesn't , do you think NOW you can understand why there are a number of people who dislike Spector?

Maybe you should add that to your perspective, after all, perspective is a subjective word.
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

Possibilities:

- Giant snake a Snakeman is riding
    - Sorceress Teela
    - Random Snakeman (couple of them)

I know Geoff Johns isn't any of these based on the very vague description of him having a power source and Roboto's loin cloth (I think it's Roboto's). No clues were given to Terry's character. Photog, Draego-Man are not in the first one. The Mighty Spector COULD be one of the shadowed characters in the background.

TG said the art from the mini-comics will be used on the back of their cards for their bios. So, I think we will very clearly see them in at least 1 of the next two mini-comics. I HOPE for them to be in a two panel 80's Eternia type poster. THAT would be cool, because then we would see all the new figures fighting it out, you know? I'd like that.
    Terry's figure is male
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Simply put, it doesn't require TALENT or QUALIFICATIONS to design a MOTU figure. It never did. It's all a mix and match from a bunch of reusable parts with an accessory or two tossed in.
    Thanks for crapping on my job as a toy designer and on all the people that designed MOTU figures during the original line.
    This is one of the more insulting thing I ever heard.
    Is designing toys a job anyone can do? It doens't require any skill or talent according to you?
    So, Hasbro pays me to do nothing more than putting together pencil strokes randomly. I have zero qualification and talent and all I do is as good as the next child.
    So Mark Taylor and Ted Mayer were random guys with no skills.

Yes, I'm very very annoyed by this statement

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    The Mighty Spector continues to grow on me. I never outright hated him, but I thought he REALLY stuck out because he looks DC to me. He's starting to look like just another MOTUC figure to me now...this could be because of his immense exposure do to the controversy of him.

I just hope his colour purple stays the same. I want an extra Spector to make UK Horde Prime as he appeared in the comic "The Third Sword." AWESOME story!

Last edited by Darkspecter; November 3, 2011 at 06:13am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Thanks for crapping on my job as a toy designer and on all the people that designed MOTU figures during the original line.
    Is designing toys a job anyone can do? It doens't require any skill or talent according to you?
    So, Hasbro pays me to do nothing more than putting together pencil strokes randomly. I have zero qualification and talent and all I do is as good as the next child.

and you have every right to be

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post

I mean no personal insult to you or anyone else. Could you perhaps go into detail exactly what requirements a person should have to design a MOTU figure?

I'm sure the standards are higher on things like GI-Joe, where there are a lot of unique parts... and the vehicles require a lot of engineering... Even in 200x it would require a lot planning...

MOTU is a different animal than most other toy lines, It's all about shared parts. Arms, legs, body... all re-used. Even the Mark Taylors didn't have the toy turn out exactly like they envisioned in the box arts...

The fact remains, that we DO have figures designed by children in this line. There ARE figures that the grand thought process of 'ummmm... Ninja. ohhh give him the finned feet, or 'Guy with Armor 'C'... and ummm... Big Fist.' This guy should have a skunk head.... ehhh... use the fish head, it'll be fine!

They have a contest running right now, for anyone who can hold a pencil... or can describe his idea to a guy who can hold a pencil. There are no educational or resume required to enter the contest.

We're not even talking about sculpting or tooling the figure. I'm talking merely of the character 'concept'.

I whole-heartedly beleive that TG or anyone else for that matter has EVERY right to create a concept for a figure regardless of his percieved 'talent or qualifications'

YES, there are few TRULY inspired original characters...Personally I LOVE Stratos, and Classic He-man has never been improved upon.... However there are Many... MANY unispired slapped together designs too.

THAT was the point I was trying to make. Again, not a personal attack against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashtoys View Post
    I'm sorry, but "thousands of tooling dollars" is a bit of an over estimation.
    It only costs that much when you mass produce it. I can customize something far more complex than Spector that would only cost me around 60USD (thats inclusive of the price of the MOTUC buck which is already around 30USD with shipping). I have a custom MOTUC Bravestarr on my work table that only cost me around 62USD to make.

Arguably, Spector is already basically a figure created just for TG under the guise of a mass-produced figure. Its pretty obvious that TMS was created with pleasing Scott primarily, and the rest of the MOTU fans secondarily.

Love TMS or hate him, none of us can deny that given a choice for a 30th anniv figure, fans would choose any of the missing main characters in MOTU over Spector.
    If it was a custom of course it would be cheaper. I don't think Toyguru would be satisfied with a mere custom though, i'm sure he wants it to be an official release with it's own bio so it fits in with the rest of the line and also so that he can own two - one loose, one MOC. Making him an official figure also means he can appear in comics, cartoons, etc.

I think we agree that The Mighty Spector is a basically a vanity project for Toyguru. I'm just trying to look at this from his point of view, to try to understand his position.

I know I would not have done the same thing if I was in his shoes.

The Mighty Spector continues to grow on me. I never outright hated him, but I thought he REALLY stuck out because he looks DC to me. He's starting to look like just another MOTUC figure to me now...this could be because of his immense exposure do to the controversy of him.

I just hope his colour purple stays the same. I want an extra Spector to make UK Horde Prime as he appeared in the comic "The Third Sword." AWESOME story!

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...ofPower002.jpg
    I'm not fond of Horde Prime's design, but at least he has the Horde insignia & and shoulderpads to tie him in a bit more. Spector has none of these. If there was made some effort to gear him up with some (altered) palace guard armour and helmet, things could eventually turn around for him ... even in my eyes.

MOTU is a different animal than most other toy lines, It's all about shared parts. Arms, legs, body... all re-used. Even the Mark Taylors didn't have the toy turn out exactly like they envisioned in the box arts...

The fact remains, that we DO have figures designed by children in this line. There ARE figures that the grand thought process of 'ummmm... Ninja. ohhh give him the finned feet, or 'Guy with Armor 'C'... and ummm... Big Fist.' This guy should have a skunk head.... ehhh... use the fish head, it'll be fine!

We're not even talking about sculpting or tooling the figure. I'm talking merely of the character 'concept'.
    You clearly do not own the Power and Honour catalogue
    Last edited by Crusader; November 3, 2011 at 06:35am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost