Page 6 of 121 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

Umm... guys?

DEADPOOL WASN'T EVEN ORIGINAL. HE WAS A RIP-OFF, CLONE, DERIVATIVE, etc. OF SPIDER-MAN.

Do none of you see the irony in lambasting Spector by way of Deadpool when he himself is one of the more blatant rips in comic history (along with a few other Liefeld creations)?

The late 80s and early 90s gave birth to dozens of characters with belts, pouches, eye markings, etc. That was the look of the era, just as capes, tights, and underwear on the outside were the generation before. Pretty much all superheroes are amalgamations of each other. There are very, very few truly orginal designs.

You don't have to like or accept Spector. I'm honestly ambivalent about him. But I think criticizing him as a "rip-off" is one, ignorant of comic history, and two, unfair and mean spirited.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    Umm... guys?

DEADPOOL WASN'T EVEN ORIGINAL. HE WAS A RIP-OFF, CLONE, DERIVATIVE, etc. OF SPIDER-MAN.

Do none of you see the irony in lambasting Spector by way of Deadpool when he himself is one of the more blatant rips in comic history (along with a few other Liefeld creations)?

The late 80s and early 90s gave birth to dozens of characters with belts, pouches, eye markings, etc. That was the look of the era, just as capes, tights, and underwear on the outside were the generation before. Pretty much all superheroes are amalgamations of each other. There are very, very few truly orginal designs.

You don't have to like or accept Spector. I'm honestly ambivalent about him. But I think criticizing him as a "rip-off" is one, ignorant of comic history, and two, unfair and mean spirited.
    1. deadpool wasn't a rip off of spiderman. he was a rip off of deathstroke.

2. just because deadpool was a rip off doesn't make a rip off of deadpool ok.

3. rip off or not, this figure is weak.

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    1. Really? Because an elephant helmet firefighter, a neck extending guy, a guy with a tire on his stomach? What is so dumb about Spector?
    Aside from being an unimaginative rehash of used parts, he's a throwback to every cliched comic book character in a mask to come out in the last 25 years. He doesn't look like he fits into the MOTU universe anywhere. On top of that, he's just so damned ugly I have a hard time believing that a majority of fans are going to want to buy him, much less display him on their shelves.

I could go on and on about what else is dumb about the figure and its execution, but there's already twenty pages of reasons between this thread and the other if you'd like to investigate further.

2. Really? I like it and I'm buying a few 30th Anniversary subs, and even if I wasn't I'd buy this figure
    That's cool. I'm sure that the Four Horsemen could sculpt a plastic turd with a lightning whip and call it "Dook-or" and some people would still buy it. But I think the vast majority would react to it the same way they've reacted to Mighty Spector, which is to pan it into oblivion and hope that the line gets back on track.

3. So the line is now ending because a brand new character in an alternate sub is being produced??? Makes sense. Whatever.
    I never said that. If you'd re-read my post, I posit that if the people behind MOTUC continue making poor decisions like this, then the line *could* eventually disappear altogether. As it stands, the subscriptions are at an all-time low and it seems that nobody can really understand why figures like these are being turned out instead of ones that are in heavy demand from the fan base (you know, the guys that are actually buying the toys as opposed to designing them).

So no, this one figure won't be the death of the line, but keep churning out trophies like Spector and it won't be long.

People don't like new or different for whatever reason....
    As others have already pointed out, there's nothing new or different about this guy. He's every lame Toy Biz figure from the 90's thrown into a MOTU box for only the most completest of collectors to snatch up, because there would be no other way on Earth this thing would have made it to retail if it weren't for the guys that absolutely have to have everything with a He-Man label on it.

So it takes something really special to be accepted..
    Not really. Just something not lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    Epic fail! Worst figure to date...

Plain design and coloration, nothing that gives me the impression of being a MOTU character.

It would be okay, if TG`s figure would be a killer, but it isn`t...

This is not the method to promote a sub...
    That's the thing, it shouldn't be in the sub at all. It would have been ok if it was a limited exclusive of some kind for a select crowd but it will now end up in the ownership of people who never wanted it (and still don't) through the 30th Anni sub.

This sort of limited appeal figure should not be in a mainstream sale. Figures like Spector and even Photog should have been limited number exclusives offered for sale at a convention or the store - They should have never been incorporated into the sub.

Seriously, TG should have known that his own 'childhood' figure would have very limited appeal and should not have been placed it in a sub - That would have been common marketing and business sense. Due to this, people who were on the fence when it comes to the 30th sub (like me) will probably decide against getting one. Photog was bad enough but kind of understandable due to its history as a winning entry that never came to be but this puts it over the edge.

To me the figure does look like a 5th rate DC villain and his 'powers' or character concept do not match his aesthetics which also goes against it.

- Should have been a limited release non-sub exclusive.
    Last edited by kup; September 25, 2011 at 09:41pm.

Sorry, I am not feeling him at all. He looks so generic and cheap. I don't even like his coloring.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    1. deadpool wasn't a rip off of spiderman. he was a rip off of deathstroke.

2. just because deadpool was a rip off doesn't make a rip off of deadpool ok.

3. rip off or not, this figure is weak.
    1. I'm talking about his looks, not his characterization. Take off Spiderman's webs and you've basically got Deadpool.

2. You obviously missed my entire point.

3. Maybe it is. But I guarantee most people here would be a lot more forgiving and careful with their words if Spector had been created by someone from the Org instead of Toyguru.

We probably would be more forgiving if it came from the Org. But I can't say the same for sales figures. I see this guy going one of two ways:

1) No one buys him and he floats around on overstock for months being re-released on "matty" special days. He devalues to the point of 4-5 dollars on secondary markets like ebay.

2) Few people buy him and he ends up being a lost character that somehow becomes an obssession by completists 20 years from now and his value skyrockets.

Each of those options are not outside the realm of possibility.

I have been pretty open minded with MOTUC figures but Spector just doesn't work for me. His name doesn't really seem to fit with his design. Also his look feels more mercenary than time traveler. Doesn't seem to fit in the heroic ranks in my mind.
    My blog: huckthedog.com

My trade feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=174899

This figure is, like everyone says, dull and uninteresting. I sure hope Mattel reads the boards and pulls the figure, or at least makes Scott come up with a better designed figure.

I have read about so many people not buying the 30th sub because of his figure. That isn't good business.

Mean spirited yes, unfair, not really. unlike Drago-Man and essentially every other MOTU character (toy wise) Spector (I'm not calling him mighty) lacks imagination to set him apart from these characters that people say he's a rip off of. ZERO pattern on the body suit aside from very oddly placed diamond type patterns on his eyes withstanding it's just a bad design and feels like a bootleg of an already established character, so rip off is an understandable reaction.

3. Maybe it is. But I guarantee most people here would be a lot more forgiving and careful with their words if Spector had been created by someone from the Org instead of Toyguru.
    I don't think anyone would like it more than now but I agree that most people would have been much more careful with their wording. But also I believe that most of us who don't like the figure aren't attacking TG as a person, we just think that his design is lacking in a big way. When I didlike an artists' work on the boards I usu don't comment on it as I feel bad doing so, TG is a toy company employee, I don't feel bad for criticizing a product the company he works for puts out to buy, no matter who designed it.

looks like Spector is the Smash blade of MOTUC. or at least the disco skeletor.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    The more I look at him the more I'm warming to him. He is pretty super-heroy, and I guess in that way doesn't fit in all that well with MOTU, but he doesn't feel that far removed from the style of the NA universe to me. I really dislike the spade on his costume, but I kinda dig the clashing color scheme.
    Not my favorite design, but it hasn't ruined my life like it seems it has for so many.

I like the spirit of the 30th anniversary line. I like the idea of people involved in the current line being able to toss a new design in there. I like having a pair of fan designed characters too. I guess I don't expect to think that ANY of them are better than any vintage figure, but that's partially because I have no history with them. I never had a Ninjor figur as a kid, and when I first found out about him when I was probably about 25 I thought he looked like a dollar store ninja toy and really didn't think he belonged in MOTU either. But I've gotten used to the idea of him being in the old line, and I'd be way more excited to get a Ninjor than to get Draego Man, who looks like he belongs in one of the Horsemen's other lines more than in MOTUC.

So whatever, I like the concept of the 30th line, Spector's not that bad really, and if he's the worst thing we get in 2012 then 2012 is going to be a great year for MOTUC.

Ok first and foremost people need to quit complaining saying this guy is being forced on us because we bought subs. He is NOT part of the main sub, he's part of the add on sub, that the fans begged and pleaded for. Scott ORIGINALLY mentioned that he KNEW not all fans would want all these figures and thats why they didn't offer them in the sub. If you bought the 30th sub then you KNEW before hand that there could be some bombs. THESE FIGURES HAVE NEVER BEEN IN MOTUC. If you got a sub I highly HIGHLY doubt your upset about this as your a completionist. If you bought a 30th sub and ur upset by this figure you had PLENTY of knowledge before hand that these figures might suck or you may not like them. I knew this before hand, I'm not really sure how anyone couldn't have.

Secondly, the design is *** fine, its worked before, and its held up over time for MANY characters. If the design sucked I doubt those superheroes that look like that would have held up as well over time. Its a standard for a reason. I mean spider man has essentially the same costume has held up for YEARS and its an iconic costume, you mean to tell me HIS costume is boring?

Why can't a guy wearing full spandex fit into this line? We got guys wearing nothing but furry underwear. We got pirates, we got cat people, lobster people, bee people.

The more hate this guy gets I honestly end up liking him more and more. Alot of people seem to be contradicting themselves saying his super hero style doesn't belong or is a rip off of something else. So many elements of this fantasy line rips off other stuff. I could understand if your argument is he is generic, that was/is mine but it is slowly changing with the new photos and drawings of him that i have seen, but to simply say he is a rip off and doesn't belong just doesn't make sense to me when He-man himself is essentially a rip off of Conan or other barbarians throughout history.

(This rant isn't directed to those saying he is generic and needs something added, because i completely agree with that, its really directed towards the haters who really are using contradicting statements)

btw
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Economical in that it uses a lot of parts reuse. And I really have no idea on how many will be bought, just quite a few org members seem to be passing on him.
    I remember this board lighting up over green goddess and she ended up being an unsought after figure upon release. I HARDLY think this message board speaks for the ENTIRE consumer base for this line.
    Last edited by jackstatic; September 25, 2011 at 10:16pm.
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstatic View Post
    I mean spider man has essentially the same costume has held up for YEARS and its an iconic costume, you mean to tell me HIS costume is boring?

Why can't a guy wearing full spandex fit into this line? We got guys wearing nothing but furry underwear. We got pirates, we got cat people, lobster people, bee people.

SPider-man's costume has a LOT of detailing in it, and witht he black suit it has a striking design with the big white eyes and spider, the pirates, barbarians and bee people again have detailing that makes them visually interesting, this body suit does not.
    but to simply say he is a rip off and doesn't belong just doesn't make sense to me when He-man himself is essentially a rip off of Conan or other barbarians throughout history.

(This rant isn't directed to those saying he is generic and needs something added, because i completely agree with that, its really directed towards the haters who really are using contradicting statements)
    The barbarian look is kind of standard, he-man's design elements were made to make him look different enough but evoke the same emotions when seeing him, Spector being a 'ripoff' it's just a very DULL look and those diamond eyes are just so amateur looking in terms of design. He doesn't have an iconic look like he-man (iconic of a barbarian) he just looks generic, that's MY issue with him and the full spandex body suit. as that's ALL it is a monotone body suit, no details or textures or anything to make it visually interesting. so I'm not saying you're ranting against me, but I am defending my stance if it seems contradictary (based on some of the arguements you made.)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

i wonder if they did him to take the heat off of BGEL now she's not the most hated fig lol

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    He doesn't have an iconic look like he-man (iconic of a barbarian) he just looks generic, that's MY issue with him and the full spandex body suit. as that's ALL it is a monotone body suit, no details or textures or anything to make it visually interesting. so I'm not saying you're ranting against me, but I am defending my stance if it seems contradictary (based on some of the arguements you made.)
    Not ranting against you at all, and for the most part I feel the same way, that he IS missing something to pop out at us, and that is something I think that needs to be worked out, but who I AM ranting at are those saying the design is terrible, or that superhero costumes don't belong in MoTUC, because that to me makes no sense based on the history of similar costumes (added details like spiderman make the costume explode) or the history of character types in MoTUC (all the different type of characters we have)
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    i wonder if they did him to take the heat off of BGEL now she's not the most hated fig lol
    I don't think BG Evil-Lyn is hated. I think that people are just very disappointed and see it as a missed opportunity at something truly great.

I like her and will be buying her but I am too disappointed by the dress choice.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I want to go on record as saying I really like Spector!! I am happy to add him to my MOTUC's collection. I would say my only comment on what I kind of would like better on this figure would be a different color. I'm not terribly fond of the purple on him. Otherwise, I think he looks really cool. I like the look of the oddly shaped red eyes! They are kind of creepy and almost made me think of Rorshark (spelling - ?) from the Watchmen.

Also, I met Scott this weekend at Power Con and he is a top notch guy!!! For all of the work he is putting into this line and for all of the negative garbage he has to take, I truly feel bad for the guy. I personally believe that he is the best man for the job when it comes to managing this brand. For all of his ongoing hard work, he deserved to get one crack at designing a MOTUC's figure, and he did pretty well IMO. He has a true passion for MOTU and it really shows through when you talk to him in person! The mini cosmic key on his wrist looks SO cool in person. That alone sells me on this figure. I'm glad I got 3 of the 30th Anniversary subs!!

Heroic Warrior
    The only thing they can make this figure better is to completley rearrange the coloration without the red paint on his face and giving him a more interesting color sheme...

Maybe something which fit to some weapons pak items...

I bet his knife will have a gold/orange handle
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

I like him. MOTUC never had a guy with time powers, it didn't have a purple guy, and it didnt have a super hero guy. Spector checks off all three of those boxes, so he fills a lot of gaps. This will be the perfect figure to display the cosmic key with, and his green energy weapons are awesome too, so I'm looking forward to this figure. Some people say that the purple and yellow clash too much, but to me it isn't any different than blue Faker having orange armor. My only disappointment is that Scott said that his eyes weren't intended to be diamonds, which is too bad because I feel like a full playing-card theme is cooler than just a single spade. Hopefully they don't change his eyes too much from the prototype, because I would still like to pretend that they are diamonds.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    If this figure "Kills TEH LEIN" Im gunna laugh myself into a frenzy. Due to logistical nonsence the line will not be able to continue due to Mighty Spectors hyper anime detail being bashed apoun by cherry pickers......

Nah I mean I looked at it again and again, and its not terrible... but its also not Masters. If this was a DC guy or some random off shot comic sure... but nothing screams Masters.

If Masters tanks without Gwildor im gunna be ****** lol.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

That's all I have to say about this figure.

It could be. An even better question is who decides to produce a figure they designed about 30 years ago at the age of ten? It makes no sense to produce such a figure. Why not draw upon your current knowledge, skills, and experience to design the best figure possible now?

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksensor View Post
    http://gofigureactionfigures.com/med...ml-variant.jpg

That's all I have to say about this figure.
    Post of the day.

Close thread.

Game over.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Warrior
    Spector is kind of how I pictured Grimace (Ronald McDonald's pal) if he were to lose the weight and buff up.

Is Spector the same exact color as Panthor? I like Panthor better.