Page 64 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 3015

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

Not sure, but aside from being Brand Manager, Scott is also involved (Head?) with MOTU's Marketing right?
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealo View Post
    i see your point. i think though that he comes here because he is a fan (of course in his capactiy as a mattel employee), as he wants to engage directly with fans. remember, he isn't a PR guy. these are also forums, so their nature is going to be casual. if people aren't comfortable with that (and it is of course for them to decide what they are comfortable with) then TG shouldn't post here as it is always taken the wrong way and incites arguments. he should stick to press releases.

actually, personally i'm starting to think he should not post here; some people expect a certain lvl of PR standards in what he writes and scott just isn't up to it.
    I agree with the latter part of your post. It's been well established that PR is not in TG's wheelhouse.

And unfortunately, you have to make concessions when you are placed in the position of 'mouthpiece of a company'. It's like the guy who gets the big promotion at work. He can't go back to the mailroom and joke around the way he used to.

Pete@BotCon on the Allspark forum is a great example. He works for Fun Publications, the company that does the Transformers Convention-BotCon. He can frequently be seen in the "Viewing this thread" list-especially when news about the Con or the Con toys comes out. He engages the fans to drop hints or let people know what they can or can't do. He is very personable, informative, and I can't remember a time where he has posted with a troll/joke comment. I know everyone is different, but I would hope that TG would learn that people aren't interested in his jokes when they are looking for ways to make his design palatable (for example).
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Heroic Warrior
    are people really going to take offense at a light-hearted joke that he even pointed out was a joke; then basically say that they shouldn't be held to the same standards because he works for mattel? i think that's a bit of a convenient excuse to hide behind. 'don't tell me i can't be offensive while i'm busy telling scott how he offended me'
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    It isn't a convenient excuse. Scott Neitlich DOES work for Mattel and IS NOT just another forum member. So yes, customers can't and shouldn't have the same standard at all. It seems basic PR an Marketing to me.

Gotta disagree here. He may not be JUST another forum member, but he IS a forum member. In the general rules for posting here... the #2 rule is

Respect your fellow members and do not harass.

I do not see any kind of astericks there with 'Unless they work for Mattel' attached there.

Unless he's got some kind of special membership/administration/honorary membership that the rest of us don't have... He should get the same respectful treatment the REST of us should expect.

I see it as VERY hypocritical to mock, insult, and offend one member.... but when he makes a joke that SOME people don't like... gang up on him again.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Gotta disagree here. He may not be JUST another forum member, but he IS a forum member. In the general rules for posting here... the #2 rule is

I do not see any kind of astericks there with 'Unless they work for Mattel' attached there.

Unless he's got some kind of special membership/administration/honorary membership that the rest of us don't have... He should get the same respectful treatment the REST of us should expect.
    I didn't say he shouldn't get the same respectful treatment, and surely there are non special written rules for Mattel's employes on this forum, in fact, we're not talking about Scott Neitilich breaking any rule but just about how people react to his posts.

There indeed are "unwritten rules" for what is good or bad to post and what may rub people the wrong depending by the position you're in.
    I learnt the hard way that I can't simply say everything I think and how I want to say it. Just because of my position on the forum.
    It's a matter of saing what's it's opportune to say, not just what's written in the rules. And that is also much more important for site mods, admins, and surely Mattel people too.

So it's perfectly normal for people to have double standards on what we post and judge our words differently. You can't ask other fans to discard what the Brand Manager says because is just another forum member. Is status on the forum is technically the same of all the other forum members. In the real world, his status is very different, and we can't change or forget that.

I see it as VERY hypocritical to mock, insult, and offend one member.... but when he makes a joke that SOME people don't like... gang up on him again.
    You seem to be missing the point. We are discussing his posting with regards to his post as a mattel representative, and from a PR standpoint-whether these kinds of posts are a good idea.

And as to whether to not you think anyone is "harassing" TG for his post, I think you are wrong. The backlash against Kup was much harsher than anyone's response to TG's recent post.

And I think that everyone needs to take a deep breath and start to separate TG from TMS. On both sides. Criticizing TMS on its merits is NOT a direct shot at TG himself. Plenty of people don't like the figure because they don't like the figure. If he takes it as a personal assault, he should learn to be a little more thick-skinned. At the same time, people need to realize that their dislike for TMS does not give them carte blanche to be nasty to TG himself. If you don't like the circumstances surrounding his childhood design becoming a figure, state your opinion and be done with it. It's coming out as-is, and thats the end of it.

If anyone's comments about another poster offend your sensibilities, the mods here are very good about correcting that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Prince Adam's Dad; November 7, 2011 at 12:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    You seem to be missing the point. We are discussing his posting with regards to his post as a mattel representative, and from a PR standpoint-whether these kinds of posts are a good idea.

And as to whether to not you think anyone is "harassing" TG for his post, I think you are wrong. The backlash against Kup was much harsher than anyone's response to TG's recent post.

And I think that everyone needs to take a deep breath and start to separate TG from TMS. On both sides. Criticizing TMS on its merits is NOT a direct shot at TG himself. Plenty of people don't like the figure because they don't like the figure. If he takes it as a personal assault, he should learn to be a little more thick-skinned. At the same time, people need to realize that their dislike for TMS does not give them carte blanche to be nasty to TG himself. If you don't like the circumstances surrounding his childhood design becoming a figure, state your opinion and be done with it. It's coming out as-is, and thats the end of it.
    Beautifully said.
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    I didn't say he shouldn't get the same respectful treatment, and surely there are non special written rules for Mattel's employes on this forum, inf act, we're not talking about Scott Neitilich breaking any rule but just about how people react to his posts.
    My point was, How people REACT to his posts... is in effect 'breaking the rules.'

If Tallstar or Uki or any of the major posters had mad a joke in poor taste, or posted something that people didn't agree with... Personal attacks would not be tolerated.

YES, as a professional TG should be careful what he posts on a public forum. He could well be held accountable for his words.

But not to US.

If the Mattel executives don't like his spin control, then that is between THEM.

It really has no bearing whatsoever on us, and regardless of what he does in the 'real world'. Here on the .org, he is a member of the community, and should be treated with the same respect as me, or you or any other member.

This is what I was getting at.

There has been a blurring between the quality of the figure and the quality of the man.

My point was, How people REACT to his posts... is in effect 'breaking the rules.'

If Tallstar or Uki or any of the major posters had mad a joke in poor taste, or posted something that people didn't agree with... Personal attacks would not be tolerated.

YES, as a professional TG should be careful what he posts on a public forum. He could well be held accountable for his words.

But not to US.

If the Mattel executives don't like his spin control, then that is between THEM.

It really has no bearing whatsoever on us, and regardless of what he does in the 'real world'. Here on the .org, he is a member of the community, and should be treated with the same respect as me, or you or any other member.
    So what you are saying is that people should not react to TG's post the way they reacted to Kup's post?

There has been a blurring between the quality of the figure and the quality of the man.
    I absolutely agree. In both directions.
    Last edited by Prince Adam's Dad; November 7, 2011 at 12:39pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hey guys!

I just wanted to post a friendly reminder here. If anyone sees a post that they feel is attacking another member, whether it's ToyGuru or anyone else, please feel free to click the Report Post button ( ) and let us know. That will send a message to all moderators of that area, and we will look it over.

It's really a big help to do that. There are tons of posts every day, and it's hard for us to catch everything.

Thanks!
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

But not to US.

i agree totally; though it is easier for some to just pass judgement on all this as if scott is their employee.

as someone else said, it is just like the guy that got the big job and then goes back to the mail room to try to chat with his old mates... that only works though if his old mates are actually mature enough to handle chatting in a casual way with someone that has more power than them; far easier to attack your former mate, then blame him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    B.) Total double standards about "acceptable" behavior. Poster after poster can make lame Deadpool jokes and show over and over how they'd do it better but TG can't make a joke. We want him to be a part of the board and do stuff for us and relate to us and change stuff for us... but don't make any jokes! Just do what we say and don't try to play around with us or we'll be offended!
    Yeah, I agree with this 100%. I appreciate Scott's humor in regards to Spector. Sure, I've posted a few suggestions on things I would do to improve the figure (see my current avatar for example.) And yes, I am the one who made the Spector/Poochie comic (that was just meant in good fun ). But at the end of the day... it's just an action figure! Truth be told, Spector is not a bad looking figure. He is just different from what we are use too. Wouldn't the line be boring if they all looked the same? I'm actually excited to get this figure.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; November 7, 2011 at 01:09pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I still got the feel, that something is not right in the communication between company and customers.

And when my money is involved, I'm not a fan anymore!

i agree totally; though it is easier for some to just pass judgement on all this as if scott is their employee.

as someone else said, it is just like the guy that got the big job and then goes back to the mail room to try to chat with his old mates... that only works though if his old mates are actually mature enough to handle chatting in a casual way with someone that has more power than them; far easier to attack your former mate, then blame him for it.
    No, you missed the point. The guy who got the promotion can't come back to the mailroom because you can't carry on like someone who works in a mailroom when you have a corner office.

No, you missed the point. The guy who got the promotion can't come back to the mailroom because you can't carry on like someone who works in a mailroom when you have a corner office.
    i wouldn't say that TG is carrying on like someone who works in the mailroom. he's been terribly restrained in posting in a thread that is full of personal attacks. he's merely having a casual chat with the fans/old friends in the mailroom.

everyone should go read what he wrote again. read it twice. did it really actually bother you? if it did, then you can't accept anything that hasn't been through the PR spin cycle a couple of times. that's fine, but if that is the case then TG should stop posting on a fan forum like this as it is too much for some to handle; again go read what he wrote, does it really bother you?

everyone is always crying for more information, better contact with fans etc, rather than just cut and paste 'can't comment past...' answers. well, i'm not sure the org can handle that.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I agree 100%.

All I can say is that ToyGuru is a far better man than me(or at least far more in control of his emotions). I wouldn't keep posting on this site when the company that pays my salary has their very own message board. When you include all of the insults, trash talk, and mocking he endures, I'd have definitely stopped coming here(if I wasn't already banned for giving some of the aggressors a "piece of my mind"). That he keeps coming & offering good-humored replies is impressive imo.
    Since MOTUC is an online only line, I'd think that we're the main people keeping him in business. He'd have to come here to see how his clientele is doing. It's not a lion's den all the time. When Toyguru does well, he's a hero. When he does or says something questionable, he's villainized.

Unfortunately, fans tend to dwell on the negative or controversial instead of the positive. Where's Fisto, Kobra Kahn or Stinkor's 50 page threads at? I guess it's far easier to say something sucks multiple times than to say how great something is, keeping doing that multiple times.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I like TGs humor.
    Everybody should lighten up.

i wouldn't say that TG is carrying on like someone who works in the mailroom. he's been terribly restrained in posting in a thread that is full of personal attacks. he's merely having a casual chat with the fans/old friends in the mailroom.
    "Gee, guys. Sorry about those layoffs in your department. Looks like you all better start letting me win in the Fantasy Football league, huh? LOL, just kidding."

everyone should go read what he wrote again. read it twice. did it really actually bother you? if it did, then you can't accept anything that hasn't been through the PR spin cycle a couple of times. that's fine, but if that is the case then TG should stop posting on a fan forum like this as it is too much for some to handle; again go read what he wrote, does it really bother you?
    If you had read the whole thread, you would have seen my response to your question. I said I didn't find the joke itself particularly unfunny (even if it came across as a bit trollish), I just don't think it's wise of him, given his position, to make light of the reception of his own figure in the toyline by joking about repaints.

everyone is always crying for more information, better contact with fans etc, rather than just cut and paste 'can't comment past...' answers. well, i'm not sure the org can handle that.
    So which one is it? Is TG a representative of Mattel, or is he just another of the "200 posters" on the .Org?

a double-edged sword cuts both ways

So which one is it? Is TG a representative of Mattel, or is he just another of the "200 posters" on the .Org?
    going on TG's post, if that level of trolling incites people, then i think he shouldn't post here at all.

going on TG's post, if that level of trolling incites people, then i think he shouldn't post here at all.
    Like it or not, he is going to be held to a different standard (as Emiliano mentioned about his experiences). If you or I make the same comment about the repaints, nobody looks twice. Whether it is fair or not, people are going to take notice when he says it.

And "incites"? Aren't you embellishing just a bit? One guy said he didn't like the post, and a handful questioned if it was a good idea to post. Nobody is calling for his head.

As "too far" as the negative comments go (in terms of nastiness and wild "Killin Teh Lein" remarks), they are easily matched by the manufactured outrage over even the most innocent of discussions. People are looking for something to be outraged over at this point.

Like it or not, he is going to be held to a different standard.
    this is true. i think it is unfair, but it is true. this, coupled with the fact that scott is not a PR guy and lacks that PR spin polish that people can't seem to forgive him for lacking, i think he just shouldn't post here. it isn't just this last post of his either; just take a look in the last month at reactions to his posts.

this is true. i think it is unfair, but it is true. this, coupled with the fact that scott is not a PR guy and lacks that PR spin polish that people can't seem to forgive him for lacking, i think he just shouldn't post here. it isn't just this last post of his either; just take a look in the last month at reactions to his posts.
    How is it unfair? It's not like he is chatting with people in the "Console Wars" thread in general. He has made mis-step after mis-step in discussing or releasing information pertaining to the line he personally is responsible for. How do you not get that someone in that position needs to maintain a certian level of decorum when talking to his customers?

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Boy, now we've got tons of redeco options to re-release Spector over and over and over!
    As apathetic as I am about his toy design I have to give the man points for trolling his own customer base. Either that or he's a fool. Not sure which. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though.
    Always in the market for Painted Backgrounds from the Filmation MOTU + She-Ra Toons, Bravestar, Blackstarr.

Heroic Warrior
    His job is to please the customers and to motivate them to keep buying those figures.

His concern should be to keep his customers happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    His job is to please the customers and to motivate them to keep buying those figures.

His concern should be to keep his customers happy.
    No his main job is to make money for Mattel, which includes making customers happy, but you can not make every customer happy, its never going to happen.

find me a real toy line that no body has any complaints about.
    the ignore list is my new best friend