Page 7 of 121 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    It could be. An even better question is who decides to produce a figure they designed about 30 years ago at the age of ten? It makes no sense to produce such a figure. Why not draw upon your current knowledge, skills, and experience to design the best figure possible now?
    ^Exactly. But who knows, his creative skills may be on the near the same level and we still get the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    1. deadpool wasn't a rip off of spiderman. he was a rip off of deathstroke.

2. just because deadpool was a rip off doesn't make a rip off of deadpool ok.

3. rip off or not, this figure is weak.
    Just bumping this quote for it's merit.
    Last edited by Colder Soldier; September 26, 2011 at 12:06am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    If nothing else, we DO know where the "Mighty" Spector trains...

The purple makes sense, at least...
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    I wasn't really a fan when I saw the slide at the panel, but seeing the proto in person really won me over. The paint detail and sculpt are great and the mini cosmic key is fantastic. Still not in love with the spade, but overall, I am looking forward to owning this bad boy.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Hi all! I just had to pop out of my long hibernation and comment on the so-called Mighty Spector.

Several people have already nailed what the main problem with this character is, in that it is simply uninspired. There is very little about the design that jumps out as interesting (except for the Cosmic Key bracer, which is admittedly a cool gadget).

In my opinion, the main problem is that the design lacks the key thing that all MOTU figures should have - a theme! Every figure in the original line, apart from the first wave (who were still based on core barbaric fantasy archetypes) had a strong core fantasy or sci-fi (or both) theme that tied into their action feature gimmick.

Clawful = crab guy with snapping claw action.
    Dragstor = humanoid drag racer with racing action.
    Leech - leech guy with suction action.
    Scare-Glow - ghost with glow-in-the-dark action.
    Butt-head - space mutant with head-butting action.
    Draego-Man - dragon guy with flaming weapons.
    And so on...

Mighty Spector = ???

What is Mighty Spector's theme? The name evokes thoughts of eyeglasses, superior vision, or even something to do with ghosts (as in 'spectre'). Yet in the design we see a masked superhero figure with a spade on his chest and a laser whip on his wrist. What is this supposed to suggest to us?

Even the name goes against MOTU convention - almost all figures have one-word names, unless it is a title (such as King Randor or Prince Adam) or a variant (Thunder Punch He-Man, Too-tall Hoove). Again, the 'Mighty' suggests a superhero connection, which doesn't fit in easily with the existing fantasy/sci-fi concepts of every other figure.

Extendar = extending guy
    Fisto = punching guy
    Ram Man = ramming guy

Mighty Spector = ???

Time and time again we find that the design of this figure ignores the key qualities of the MOTU franchise. I don't see how you can pay tribute to the history of the line (30 years, after all) by ignoring everything that made it what it is!

I don't begrudge Toyguru his chance to create his own MOTU character - it's an awesome privilege. I just feel that his design is so uninspired and has such an ill-defined theme that you would be hard-pressed to identify it as a MOTU character.

- JEDIboyy
    "The boyy is dangerous. They all sense it, why can't you?"

http://jediboyy.pawnbrand.com/
    http://jediboyy.deviantart.com/

Happy that Scott's childhood dream to come true but...

I just don't like the design. I tried so very hard to like this figure but I just couldn't. I looked at him so many times throughout the con to see if he would win me over but I just couldn't. I just couldn't look past that it looks like he simply doesn't belong at all. I understand that he was a genius to have thought up this design before Deadpool, Cable, Grendel, and Deadshot but this character just doesn't look like he fits in. There is nothing about him that demonstrates that he is a master of time. If he is a spy then they should have given him better stealthy colors and not barney purple colors. I liked every other toy released so far except Spector. If he had a clock instead of a spade I think he would have made some kind of sense.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Court Magician
    I'm not in love with the figure, but I don't have the hate for it I see in a lot of posts. I'll be scrapping the bio and making him whatever I can think of, because characters like this and Draego-Man are blank slates as far as I'm concerned. I agree with the statement made by some that it's not so much Toyguru designing it that's the issue, it's the fact that its such an odd design. If Toyguru had designed Draego-Man everyone would be applauding him, so while it may be personal to some, I think for the majority of people it's just the fact that its such a puzzling design.

The one negative remark I'll make is that I bought a sub for the 30th line, and so far of the three that have been revealed only one I would have made a special effort to seek out based on the quality of the figure itself. I find Fearless Photog absurd and Spector's ok but nothing I'm really excited about, so far Draego-Man is the only figure from this series that is really making the most out of the potential the 30th line has as a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post

http://retailtrafficmag.com/photo_ga...et-fitness.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! OMG I havent seen one of those since I was last in Texas!
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaSmooth View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! OMG I havent seen one of those since I was last in Texas!
    I usually only look at those..."places"...when I need to puke for some reason and can't find the ipecac!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    It could be. An even better question is who decides to produce a figure they designed about 30 years ago at the age of ten? It makes no sense to produce such a figure. Why not draw upon your current knowledge, skills, and experience to design the best figure possible now?
    They've updated the design, even said Bill designed the cosmic key "gauntlet" on his left arm. Funny that almost all of the figures in this line are based off of designs from 30 years ago.... yes I know you said "at the age of ten?" I just find it ironic.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    spade

wade
    I'll one up you, & say Slade.
    Does Galactus fart?

Quote Originally Posted by Valo487 View Post
    I find Fearless Photog absurd and Spector's ok but nothing I'm really excited about, so far Draego-Man is the only figure from this series that is really making the most out of the potential the 30th line has as a concept.
    As ridiculous as Fearless Photog is, at least he has a strong, definable theme - a camera guy who captures people by taking their photo. Camera for a head, picture reels on his belt, etc.

And I guess Fearless Photog is another character that has the same style name as Mighty Spector. Perhaps they have formed their own superhero team? Is it too late to have the Burning Draego-Man?
    "The boyy is dangerous. They all sense it, why can't you?"

http://jediboyy.pawnbrand.com/
    http://jediboyy.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    They've updated the design, even said Bill designed the cosmic key "gauntlet" on his left arm. Funny that almost all of the figures in this line are based off of designs from 30 years ago.... yes I know you said "at the age of ten?" I just find it ironic.
    My point wasn't that it was a thirty-year-old design. The original characters were designed by professionals thirty years ago, not ten-year-old kids. An update of a ten-year-old child's design isn't the same as a thirty-something-year-old man relying on his current skill level and knowledge to create a fresh design. A gauntlet is a fairly insignificant update and certainly isn't enough to save this poor design.

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIboyy View Post
    As ridiculous as Fearless Photog is, at least he has a strong, definable theme - a camera guy who captures people by taking their photo. Camera for a head, picture reels on his belt, etc.

And I guess Fearless Photog is another character that has the same style name as Mighty Spector. Perhaps they have formed their own superhero team? Is it too late to have the Burning Draego-Man?
    I agree - in my eyes Fearless Photog is the right kind of goofy to fit in the MOTU/POP-verse; a guy who's head is a camera! I think Spector looks good for a superhero-type of guy and I was thinking that he'd be a good base for a MOTUC-scaled Snake-Eyes custom, but I can't see him as anything else than custom-fodder.

Though I'm glad that some people dig him!
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

I think he'd look better flocked!

Given it's the same purple as Panthor - I AM CALLING FOR A FLOCKED SPECTOR!!!

Heroic Warrior
    How does Ninjor, a guy in a karate gi and gimmick from Earth's fuedal Japan, fit more into the MOTU "universe" than a guy in in spandex with a spade on his chest? I get some people don't like the design for whatever reason(Ninjor was designed in the 80's, when the ninja boom hit the U.S., seems kind of unimaginative and uninspired to me), but the whole "he doesn't fit in the MOTU universe" argument is kinda ridiculous.

Heroic Warrior
    "The Mighty Spector" ain't doing it for me. We need to come up with a crappy 90's comic name to go with this Spade Wilson here. Something like...

Specstroke
    Bloodspeck
    Specshot
    Killspeck
    Deathspeck
    Speckline
    Linekill

I got it! How 'bout...

Deathline!!

Perfect name for this guy.

Tough crowd! I like him.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

I'm a toy collector first and a MotU fan 2nd. To me, this figure is a cool looking toy. The yellow gives a sharp contrast to the dark blue (or purple?) of the rest of the figure and I like how the metal parts of the costume really give that feel of being armor worn on-top of that blue/purple jumpsuit.

I'll totally buy this figure when it comes out as I personally love new character designs that I can put my own imagination and backstory into. If it looks like Deadpool/Snakeyes/Deathstroke/etc., that doesn't bother me. MotU has ninjas, cowboys, samurais & knights in it so a super-hero/ninja looking guy doesn't really seem that out of place for me.

I'm still stunned how year after year, toyline after toyline people continuously bash prototypes of action figures and then months down the road the full production toy comes out and the figure looks completely different. Half the time reading these posts is like watching an angry mob from some old Frankenstein movies:

"I don't like this figure!! LET'S BURN DOWN THE CASTLE!!! *angry townspeople yelling in agreement*"

If you don't like the figure: don't buy it. No one is forcing you to...at least I don't think there is.... If other people enjoy it but it's completely ridiculous to you (G.I. Joe's "Ice Cream Solidier" comes to mind), let them enjoy it. I doubt if the Mighty Spector is released the world will come to an end....then again it is coming out in 2012...

~Co-Lec-Tor
    "Heroic Master of Collecting!"

Quote Originally Posted by Co-Lec-Tor View Post
    If you don't like the figure: don't buy it. No one is forcing you to...at least I don't think there is.... If other people enjoy it but it's completely ridiculous to you (G.I. Joe's "Ice Cream Solidier" comes to mind), let them enjoy it. I doubt if the Mighty Spector is released the world will come to an end....then again it is coming out in 2012...

~Co-Lec-Tor
    um yes there is they are called Mattel they lock us in BEFORE they show us the crap we have to get

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I don't think BG Evil-Lyn is hated. I think that people are just very disappointed and see it as a missed opportunity at something truly great.

I like her and will be buying her but I am too disappointed by the dress choice.
    oh trust me she is lol
    Last edited by Dark Sorceress; September 26, 2011 at 03:22am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin View Post
    I think it's just the armour (too much yellow maybe?) He could be cool but I'm just not feeling the figure/concept as is.

For me, his holster/leg strap is what deviates him from MOTU most of all and the armour is just too "meh". The spade is not my thing either as I can't disassociate it from poker. Sorry TG.

Here's a quick mock-up of what I think could change him for the better (even if it's ever-so-slightly.) Props to the .org member who posted the create-a-character sheet stuff.

* I feel something could be done for his head but I wasn't sure what to do in the few minutes I put this together. Maybe a Fisto-esque headband thing? I don;t know... just something with a small splash of colour.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...1&d=1316987214
    This is an awesome tweak! He looks a hundred times better now!!

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIboyy View Post
    Hi all! I just had to pop out of my long hibernation and comment on the so-called Mighty Spector.

Several people have already nailed what the main problem with this character is, in that it is simply uninspired. There is very little about the design that jumps out as interesting (except for the Cosmic Key bracer, which is admittedly a cool gadget).

In my opinion, the main problem is that the design lacks the key thing that all MOTU figures should have - a theme! Every figure in the original line, apart from the first wave (who were still based on core barbaric fantasy archetypes) had a strong core fantasy or sci-fi (or both) theme that tied into their action feature gimmick.

Clawful = crab guy with snapping claw action.
    Dragstor = humanoid drag racer with racing action.
    Leech - leech guy with suction action.
    Scare-Glow - ghost with glow-in-the-dark action.
    Butt-head - space mutant with head-butting action.
    Draego-Man - dragon guy with flaming weapons.
    And so on...

Mighty Spector = ???

What is Mighty Spector's theme? The name evokes thoughts of eyeglasses, superior vision, or even something to do with ghosts (as in 'spectre'). Yet in the design we see a masked superhero figure with a spade on his chest and a laser whip on his wrist. What is this supposed to suggest to us?

Even the name goes against MOTU convention - almost all figures have one-word names, unless it is a title (such as King Randor or Prince Adam) or a variant (Thunder Punch He-Man, Too-tall Hoove). Again, the 'Mighty' suggests a superhero connection, which doesn't fit in easily with the existing fantasy/sci-fi concepts of every other figure.

Extendar = extending guy
    Fisto = punching guy
    Ram Man = ramming guy

Mighty Spector = ???

Time and time again we find that the design of this figure ignores the key qualities of the MOTU franchise. I don't see how you can pay tribute to the history of the line (30 years, after all) by ignoring everything that made it what it is!

I don't begrudge Toyguru his chance to create his own MOTU character - it's an awesome privilege. I just feel that his design is so uninspired and has such an ill-defined theme that you would be hard-pressed to identify it as a MOTU character.

- JEDIboyy
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post

http://retailtrafficmag.com/photo_ga...et-fitness.jpg

nice! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    um yes there is they are called Mattel they lock us in BEFORE they show us the crap we have to get
    True, but isn't the Mighty Spector not part of the subscription because he's from the 30th Anniversary sub-line to MotUC? Or did they amend that rule and include those figures aswell?

~Co-Lec-Tor

Out of curiosity, do you think there could be any licensing issues with this figure due to the similarity to Deadpool?
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Quote Originally Posted by gummi View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you think there could be any licensing issues with this figure due to the similarity to Deadpool?
    I'm not sure? I assume Mattel already encountered this when they were getting the trademark/copyright for the name and likeness of the character. If you look at Deadpool & Mighty Spector (original colored Deadpool, not the X-men costumed version) they really don't share the same colors or shapes. If they did, Mattel never would have been able to trademark his likeness.

~Co-Lec-Tor

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-Lec-Tor View Post
    I'm a toy collector first and a MotU fan 2nd. To me, this figure is a cool looking toy. The yellow gives a sharp contrast to the dark blue (or purple?) of the rest of the figure and I like how the metal parts of the costume really give that feel of being armor worn on-top of that blue/purple jumpsuit.

I'll totally buy this figure when it comes out as I personally love new character designs that I can put my own imagination and backstory into. If it looks like Deadpool/Snakeyes/Deathstroke/etc., that doesn't bother me. MotU has ninjas, cowboys, samurais & knights in it so a super-hero/ninja looking guy doesn't really seem that out of place for me.

I'm still stunned how year after year, toyline after toyline people continuously bash prototypes of action figures and then months down the road the full production toy comes out and the figure looks completely different. Half the time reading these posts is like watching an angry mob from some old Frankenstein movies:

"I don't like this figure!! LET'S BURN DOWN THE CASTLE!!! *angry townspeople yelling in agreement*"

~Co-Lec-Tor
    I totally agree with almost everything you just said. We even share the exact same views on toy collecting and "new" concepts. We might be kindred spirits in a way. There's only one thing we're not seeing eye-to-eye on... Deathline's design totally sucks. Yellow on purple is repugnant and a visual turn-off. I love new characters and if I don't like the story it comes with, I think of my own. I don't want to do that with Bloodspeck here. I don't want to pay $20+ for Speckstroke either, but I "have to" being that's the easiest way to get the other 30th figures.

Ice Cream Soldier didn't suck. Only his name and uniform colors.

I love Battleground Evil Lyn. Her colors match and her new headsculpt is beautiful. She's superior to both the vintage (colors) and 200X (costume design) in every way.