Page 8 of 121 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    I totally agree with almost everything you just said. We even share the exact same views on toy collecting and "new" concepts. We might be kindred spirits in a way. There's only one thing we're not seeing eye-to-eye on... Deathline's design totally sucks. Yellow on purple is repugnant and a visual turn-off. I love new characters and if I don't like the story it comes with, I think of my own. I don't want to do that with Bloodspeck here. I don't want to pay $20+ for Speckstroke either, but I "have to" being that's the easiest way to get the other 30th figures.
    I'll admit yellow is a bit in-your-face, but maybe they'll change the colors a bit before final production? If the figure is due out in May, he's still 7+ months away so anything could happen between then and now. Changing colors during production is easy compared to changing parts that already had steel molds cut for them at the factory. I can even see some blue fun-tack holding his head on in the display, leading me to believe this is a prototype and not anywhere near a finished product.

Ice Cream Soldier didn't suck. Only his name and uniform colors.
    So then the basic shape of the figure was good, I can agree with that. They even re-painted that mold years later as a 'Shock-Viper' I think, and it looked pretty cool.

I love Battleground Evil Lyn. Her colors match and her new headsculpt is beautiful. She's superior to both the vintage (colors) and 200X (costume design) in every way.
    See I'm more a fan of the older figures colors as far as toys go- but I don't even own the MotUC Evil-Lyn or any of her incarnations for that matter. I liked monsters and robots when I was a kid buying MotU figures, so even today as an adult collector I tend to avoid human figures without alot of accessories I find cool/fun.

Evil-Lyn is a very well done figure from the photos I've seen, but I'd never drop $30 on a figure that doesn't have alot of features that I find fun in a toy. Leech - awesome. Grizzlor- Awesome. Clawful & Man-E-Faces- double awesome. Princess Adora- Nice for what it is, the fans first chance to get an Adora figure, but not worth $30 of my money.

Icarius/Flipshot looks amazing, because you get alot of stuff for your money so I'm totally buying him. Same goes for Snout Spout as he's a figure with a robotic elephant head. That's just too weird not to buy it. Demo-Man looks pretty cool & I want that Skeletor head for my Skeletor figure as I really liked the artwork in those early mini-comics. Fearless Photog I'm totally buying as he's a weird obscure character & for some reason I'm just drawn to those oddball characters. The Sorceress, a figure just about every MotU fan will be wanting I'll pass on as to me I just don't find it to be a fun toy. Fisto I'll be buying, same for Kobra Khan & Dreago-Man as he's freakin' awesome. Stinkor I'll also buy, will pass on the griffin due to the price odds are, Slushhead I'm totally getting and Mighty Spector aswell. If his yellow holster/harness doesn't change colors then I'll just have to either deal with it, or find a way to paint it.

~Co-Lec-Tor
    "Heroic Master of Collecting!"

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Yesterday, when I first learned about the Mighty Spector, I refrained from any comments in the 'rate the reveal-thread'. I took some time to think it over, watch the pics again... and I came to the same conclusion as the one I had a nanosecond after seeing the reveal for the first time: don't like it. Perhaps this character is part of TG's childhood fantasy and as such but only as such I am willing to show the necessary respect.

- imho, it does not look or 'feel' anywhere near MotU. Not even the little Cosmic Key-thingy can change my feelings about that. I am not opposed to timetravelling storylines as such, but there's already Gwildor (not in this line but in general) and PD He-Man,
    - which brings me to my second point: there better be a mighty, mighty bio for this guy or better still: not at all. Just 'TG's childhood fantasy figure'. I don't see this guy fitting in the timeline/universe that easily,
    - as for the general design: not really impressed,
    - I am, like many others, worried about the possible consequences (e.g. like some suggested, less subs etc. ...).

As was stated at the beginning of this thread: this is not a personal attack. TG as a manager? Superb! I am just talking about the Mighty Spector, not TG.
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

Illustrator for Hire Prince He-Dude's Avatar
    Ugh this guy looks lame! He's boring and his colour scheme is just awful! How did this guy even get approval to be created? A little more thought and imagination coulda gone into making this guy.
    HEROIC ILLUSTRATOR FOR HIRE!
    My Webcomic:
    http://juviescomic.blogspot.com/

My DeviantArt page:
    http://kaos2007.deviantart.com/

www.kaosproduktionstudios.com

I actually spoke to Toyguru at Power-Con and asked him about The Mighty Spector. He told me that it was the character he submitted back when the original contest came out in 1985. He said that when they named the Royal Palace Guard Lt. Spector, he had no idea a year later he would have the opportunity to actually create the character he made for that contest and that had the name originally. If he had know that, he probably would have named the guard something different and kept "Spector" for his character instead. All in all, it's not a big deal that Spector is used twice. I for one don't refer to the guard as Lt. Spector at all. In my opinion, his name is "Cannon Fodder".

Now, here are my thoughts on this whole Mighty Spector controversy...

I have absolutely no problem with the idea that Scott produced his character from the original contest. I mean, isn't that kind of the point? Fearless Photog was from the original contest too. Love him or hate him, he won the contest. And that is what these 30th anniversary characters are leading up to; the winner of the 2012 C-a-C contest. So, why not? I know I would have done the same thing. It's not an ego thing. It's not an abuse of his position.

I'll admit, when it was announced there would be new characters and Mattel would be handling two of them, I was hoping that they might dip into the unproduced characters and make a couple; like Tank Top, Goretusk, or that Horshoe Crab/Brain guy. But even creating something totally unfamiliar and never seen before has it's merits. Like Draego-Man, for instance. Awesome idea, unexpected, and executed extremely well. I just hope a way is figured out for us to get those additional weapons.

Now...The Mighty Spector...I will say, was not what I was expecting, hahaha. And I will explain what I like and dislike about it. And this is a critique on the figure and not at all on Toyguru.

1) Theme and character design don't seem to match
    - He is a heroic warrior of time travelling....if I were to take a look at this character and, without knowing that subtitle, I would have no idea that is what his ability pertained to. I didn't even realize that was a mini cosmic key on his wrist until it was pointed out to me. My first instinct was that he was an assassin or spy of some sort. That may be due to my unconscious association with various assassin characters in the comics that look similar. And the symbolism of the spade usually is associated with death and ill-fortune. Never the less, it was my first thought. And that is not good when it comes to design. Clawful = evil dude with a huge crab claw...Slushhead = mutant with a slimey head in a glass dome...Sweet Bee = chick with a bee costume and bee wings. Pretty cut and dry and easily translated without use of a tagline. We get the concept in the visual design. Then again, it was originally designed when he was probably 6-10 years old, and the cosmic key was added on recently to coincide with current cannon, so I am taking that into consideration.

2) Theme and Character Name don't seem to match
    - Now, I do realize that "The Mighty Spector" was his character's original name. But, it might not have hurt to come up with a new one. Again, Spector is an parody of Spectre, or ghost, again associated with death. And spectres are usually represented as menacing or unpleasant. Plus, he has a title of "Mighty", when I don't feel the ability of time travel as showing "might", or even skill, considering the cosmic key apparently does all the work. I would have used a different adjective, or none at all, since no other characters in the MOTU toyline had one; not even He-Man is called "The Mighty He-Man". But when it comes to the theme of time traveling, I would never had guessed that a character called "The Mighty Spector" had anything to do with time. Intangibility, maybe?

3) Yet another character has access to the cosmic key
    - For something so dangerous, considering what it can do, it sure seems like they just let anyone use it lately; or have access to the blueprints to make a mini-forearm version for "personal use". The more a plot device gets used the faster it becomes trite and unspectacular. I am sure the bio for TMS will have, or try to have a perfectly good reason as to why he is using the key. Still, I wish they would have refrained from having this character, or any more characters involved with it. No one else, other than Gwildor, truly should have any connections to it, whatsoever.

4) Use of pre-existing parts seems more like a kit-bash
    - HAHA, this one is just me being super picky...I know the idea is to use as many existing parts to save money on tooling. But this character could have used a couple more unique or complimentary pieces. I look at it and think kit-bash. Or "Hey, what pieces do we have lying around the factory?" While, not completely awful (I mean, the mix of parts could absolutely be a worse combo), I do feel uninspired. It doesn't feel like a new character. It feels like reused parts, if that makes any sense. The straps over the chest and gun holster are not enough to trick my mind into seeing something new, like with Stinkor. He's completely rehashed pieces, except for the armor and tanks, but he's Stinkor...not Beastman, not Mer-Man...a totally different character.

5) The fact that is it a superhero character doesn't bother me
    - While, none have existed prior, it brings a new element and genre to a toyline that has all kinds of genres mixed together. It's just another thing to get used to, that's all.

Overall, I'd say that the Mighty Spector does not thrill me, but I am not hating it. I think, before going into it's final production stages, it should have been re-evaluated. Then again, it is based on the idea of a child (at the time of it's conception) and brought to life in the collectors line as part of a celebration to the 30 years of it's existance. In that respect, this is actually fun and a cool character. Imagine all the crazy characters all those kids from the 80's submitted. This is one of them. Do you really think they all had a solid design and theme? I recently looked back at the 12 or so I submitted. While some actually were pretty good, even for a 7 year old, there were a few that had they been made now (keeping my original concept intact) I would have been getting an equal amount of hate right now, hahaha. It's all in good fun. I completely understand that this collectors line is a much more serious deal for some people out there, and that you don't want to spend money on characters you don't like/want. But, the reality is, the 30th characters were going to be a gamble no matter how you slice it. They are all new, never before seen, and with no nostalgic value. At least with the regular subscription we know that the characters involved are based on the previous toys and cartoons we grew up with. That's not the case for the 30th figures. That puts a lot of pressure on the people deciding what these new characters will be. Especially with how critical the fans can get. At least with Spector, Scott had fun with it and that's kind of the point. Those of us that entered when we were kids might understand that more than others. So, I'd say that for those buying the sub, it should have been a decision based on one of two things; A love for all things MOTU (completist, perhaps), or just enjoying the spirit of the whole concept in general.
    Last edited by King Tamusk; September 26, 2011 at 04:51am.

Yikes. That's an awful figure. I had planned to get the 30th sub. Now i'm probably not. A helmet and a proper armor could save him, but as it is, that there is a new low for motuc.
    Check out my blog about toys and food: http://toysandbacon.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Valo487 View Post
    If Toyguru had designed Draego-Man everyone would be applauding him, so while it may be personal to some, I think for the majority of people it's just the fact that its such a puzzling design.
    QFT. For me it has nothing to do with who designed the character and everything to do with the design of the character. I am sure someone at Mattel could have made a custom Spector as a birthday/holiday gift for Toyguru and another figure which fits into MOTUC could be in the 30th Aniversary spot.
    Matty needs to do pre-orders !!

Quote Originally Posted by Marek View Post
    QFT. For me it has nothing to do with who designed the character and everything to do with the design of the character. I am sure someone at Mattel could have made a custom Spector as a birthday/holiday gift for Toyguru and another figure which fits into MOTUC could be in the 30th Aniversary spot.
    That would have been fun idea, actually. Maybe The Mighty Spector could have been a Mattel "in-house" figure made for the staff only. Then TMS would be extremely rare and also unique and personal for those involved with Matty.

I know the folks that worked on the Justice League Unlimited figures had something similar created for them; like a Hal Jordan figure and a single carded Gray Ghost, signed by Bruce Timm.

Heroic Warrior

Hey Toyguru, chin up!

Though I like the whip/laserblade wrist weapons and even the blaster, I miss the barbarian influence that is so typical for MOTU.

I don't find it in Fearless Photog either. In the Drageo character I do, and that's why this one does feel part of Masters of the Universe to me.

Nothing personal to who designed Spector or Photog. In my book I' m eternally grateful for what Scott (Toyguru) did for MOTU(C) up 'till now.

So keep on going Scott, chin up and no worries on all the negative comments towards 'Mighty Spector'.

But I 'm planning to customise my Spector to a motu version of Lemmy from Motorhead, thx to the ace of spades symbol on his outfit though!

Cheers!

robin

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    If I have seen this horrible figure... I have bought 2 30th Ann subs...

I hate the superhero design, I hope a lot of changes must been done to this figure...
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Quote Originally Posted by jackstatic View Post
    Not ranting against you at all, and for the most part I feel the same way, that he IS missing something to pop out at us, and that is something I think that needs to be worked out, but who I AM ranting at are those saying the design is terrible, or that superhero costumes don't belong in MoTUC, because that to me makes no sense based on the history of similar costumes (added details like spiderman make the costume explode) or the history of character types in MoTUC (all the different type of characters we have)
    I figured as much just wanted to clarify my stance though. Looking at Fearless PHotog (a character I'm not a fan of) illustrates perfectly how Spector doesn't fit in (in my eyes) the duotone body suit, the little sculpted details, he's a great figure in terms of the MOTU Aesthetic. Silly idea for a figure IMO but executed VERY well. (what's with the Adjectives these kids used for their entries?? "Mighty Spector, 'Fearless Photog"??? that doesn't really fit into MOTUs naming philosophy either huh? I don't remember the characters I submitted, but they had names more MOTUish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjjer View Post
    How does Ninjor, a guy in a karate gi and gimmick from Earth's fuedal Japan, fit more into the MOTU "universe" than a guy in in spandex with a spade on his chest? I get some people don't like the design for whatever reason(Ninjor was designed in the 80's, when the ninja boom hit the U.S., seems kind of unimaginative and uninspired to me), but the whole "he doesn't fit in the MOTU universe" argument is kinda ridiculous.
    very easily. he still retains the MOTU design philosophy, sure he wears a ninja tunic, but he has demon feet and gauntles and furry shorts and the red feet and hands along with the dragon emblem break up the black very nicely and he isn't named "The Stealthy Ninja"
    Last edited by krosfyah; September 26, 2011 at 06:34am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    1. I'm talking about his looks, not his characterization. Take off Spiderman's webs and you've basically got Deadpool.

2. You obviously missed my entire point.

3. Maybe it is. But I guarantee most people here would be a lot more forgiving and careful with their words if Spector had been created by someone from the Org instead of Toyguru.
    Actually it was comibination of both Deathstroke and spidey the Rob drew upon when creating Deadpool, both design and characterization.

And i do agree with your point, who cares what inspires what, rumour is he-man was inspired by another barabarian after all and look how he turned out.

don't matter what your thoughts are on spectors origins. judge it on the final product. for that is what matters.

the more i look at it, the more i love his attatchment thingy; it is like a weaponised cosmic-key. awesome.

i'm not sure about how the spade ties in to his character; though from TG's comments it is just something he liked as a kid. i thought of his name spector as something to do with vision (which ties in to the spy bit) rather than ghosts.

I like the figure very very much, although I think that Draego-Man cannot be topped!

The purple and yellow looks very cool, the more I look at him, the more I like him. It is very well done regarding the re-use of parts.

Very excited for all to come in 2012.

Hopefully Granamyr will be gigantic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and comes with the rest of Draego-Man's weapons. At least the flamed shield. That is a MUST!

The name "The Mighty Spector" is alright.

Another name would be cool though.

Something like TIME-OR, or X-SPECTOR

Mighty Spector looks great on the concept art :

Court Magician
    I signed up the 30th sub...
    Not exactly sure how many of these I will actually open and add to the display though - they might end up like Molarr and stay MISB

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar

WHY I DONT LIKE SPECTOR.

-The name is very stupid. I canīt see why he is Mighty (like Thor) and I canīt see him like a Spector...
    - Why a Time Traveler have an Earthtian Ace symbol in his chest?
    - A time traveler. Is really necessary in order to fill plot holes in MOTUC? Does he adds something to MOTU or is just another character with nothing to say...
    - Horrible design. Reminiscences of Deadpool, Vigilante, Deathstroke...
    - He will be the Jar Jar Binks in MOTUC.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Evil Vixen/Heroic Chef Starshine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joseephus View Post
    I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember, but here are the 2 pages of example characters for the 1985 Create a Character Contest from the vintage MOTU magazines. If you look at the second page, you can see body parts that could have inspired ToyGuru for his creation. And on the 3rd "mock up" page, you can see what a few color changes and additions can do. So what do you think?

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...1&d=1316986257

This is fantastic, thank you! Instantly reminded me of the "Mighty Men and Monster Maker" set that I got for Christmas in the 70s!!
    ".....We wouldn't think of putting something on the screen - whether for theatres, television, or home video - without building in pro-social values..."

- Lou Scheimer (1984)

This is what its all about, folks.

To me Ram-Man will always appear as a i rip of the Juggernaut

Big guy with metal helmet runs into things.....

again, i really don't care whether he's a rip-off or an original idea. i don't care who created him (i first saw him on FB, disliked it, and then came here and found out he was TGs creation). i just find him completely boring.

i don't care about photog, but at least the idea of a camera for a head is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    I actually spoke to Toyguru at Power-Con and asked him about The Mighty Spector. He told me that.... he had no idea a year later he would have the opportunity to actually create the character he made for that contest and that had the name originally.
    This means there should be no bio.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Your chance at voting...will you take it?

Please check out the Poll in the Poll threads and cast your votes =)

Here is a message to Mattel I posted with this mornings results:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
    Well well,

what results we have here so far.

So Mattel, i suppose it's good to see that 42% of the 85 consumers who have voted so far would prefer Spector. That's good news I suppose, if you discount the comments that some voters chose Spector as their vote because the other choices were more of a parody than an actual character to incorporate in this line.

Still, almost the same percentage would prefer an enhanced Buzz lightyear knockoff.

over 20% combined would prefer a parody over Spector; a Teddy-bear eared batman knockoff wielding a stick and confused about what side of his pants to wear his undies, or a drooling superhero who's superpower is unclogging the toilets of eternia.

I dont really know what to make of these results, but seeing that Parody characters were waged against an idea that will actually be up for sale, I'd be concerned about what ideas are concieved into action figure form when it is clear that even silly concepts might be just as well appreciated.

This thread was created to prove a point; that even absurd characters would be formidable concepts to the ones released in a similar fashion to Spector.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
    Please check out the Poll in the Poll threads and cast your votes =)
    I'm late for the party, where is this poll with the parody characters?
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Add me to the growing list of people who do not like this figure. If it were not that I purchased the subscription this would be the very first figure I would pass on. I'm debating on if it will even get displayed on my shelf. The colors are way off. The purple is ok but the red eyes, yellow harness and holster, and the spade logo are way off.

Also why is this blank, expressionless head ok for this figure but it wasn't possible for The Faceless One?
    View my collection and customs HERE!

I like it.
    It is new and looks cool, he fits nicely in the NA line up.

Heroic Warrior
    In a funny way I am liking him more and more because he's causing controversy.

It has just occurred to me that he is similar in some ways to Zodac. Zodac never had an feature. It was impossible to work out what he did just by looking at him. He needed an explanation.

For those who think it's wrong to have a spade symbol because it's from Earth - we already have an Earth connection with Marlena Glenn. Furthermore, several characters have Earth letters emblazoned on their armour.

For those complaining about reuse of parts - that is one of the fundamentals of the MOTU!

Before you complain about lack of armour and gimmicks, think back to the MOTU origins. Those original characters were pretty basic - a weapon, a piece of armour and little else.

I like Spector much more than the POP offerings, and considerably more than the NA offerings. He actually appeals to my Vintage preference much more strongly than weird aliens or warriors dressed in pink.

I honestly think this thread has created a new sport - indirect TG-bashing. Ease up on the jealousy folks.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk