Page 9 of 121 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Mighty Spector Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Met-Hild View Post
    I'm late for the party, where is this poll with the parody characters?
    PLEASE VOTE HERE
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214930

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    In a funny way I am liking him more and more because he's causing controversy.

It has just occurred to me that he is similar in some ways to Zodac. Zodac never had an feature. It was impossible to work out what he did just by looking at him. He needed an explanation.

For those who think it's wrong to have a spade symbol because it's from Earth - we already have an Earth connection with Marlena Glenn. Furthermore, several characters have Earth letters emblazoned on their armour.

For those complaining about reuse of parts - that is one of the fundamentals of the MOTU!

Before you complain about lack of armour and gimmicks, think back to the MOTU origins. Those original characters were pretty basic - a weapon, a piece of armour and little else.

I like Spector much more than the POP offerings, and considerably more than the NA offerings. He actually appeals to my Vintage preference much more strongly than weird aliens or warriors dressed in pink.

I honestly think this thread has created a new sport - indirect TG-bashing. Ease up on the jealousy folks.
    How is legitimately not liking a weakly designed figure jealousy? can't people dislike something without being jealous? and again as I've stated even the earliest MOTU figures had more designs to them, name one MOTU figure that is as bland as spector and i will show you where you are wrong, even a he-man or skeletor or man at arms without any armour has more design and personality than spector.

THE SINGLE good thing about Spector as an action figure is that it's ALMOST a blank buck for customizers to go nuts with.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

So, wait...Spector is supposed to be a good guy?? He SCREAMS bad guy to me...

Personally, I think the biggest problem with the design is that it seems to take itself way too seriously. This is a toy line with robots and skuill-faced dudes and guys with giant eyeballs for heads. Bottom line, they're "fun" designs for the most part. Spector looks like he's trying too hard to be "cool," so his design doesn't seem to fit.

My opinion, of course.

It has just occurred to me that he is similar in some ways to Zodac. Zodac never had an feature. It was impossible to work out what he did just by looking at him. He needed an explanation.

For those who think it's wrong to have a spade symbol because it's from Earth - we already have an Earth connection with Marlena Glenn. Furthermore, several characters have Earth letters emblazoned on their armour.

For those complaining about reuse of parts - that is one of the fundamentals of the MOTU!

Before you complain about lack of armour and gimmicks, think back to the MOTU origins. Those original characters were pretty basic - a weapon, a piece of armour and little else.

I like Spector much more than the POP offerings, and considerably more than the NA offerings. He actually appeals to my Vintage preference much more strongly than weird aliens or warriors dressed in pink.

I honestly think this thread has created a new sport - indirect TG-bashing. Ease up on the jealousy folks.
    I agree with you 100%. Guys please take it easy on TG. This is the same thing as telling a new parent their baby is ugly. If you don't like it, speak with your wallets. If you bought a sub, try to sell it on the secondary market or use it for a custom as someone mentioned above.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

Quote Originally Posted by beastor View Post
    I agree with you 100%. Guys please take it easy on TG. This is the same thing as telling a new parent their baby is ugly. If you don't like it, speak with your wallets. If you bought a sub, try to sell it on the secondary market or use it for a custom as someone mentioned above.
    so if we don't like the mighty spector we shouldn't voice our displeasure here because that will be taken as an indirect personal attack on TG?

I couldn't agree with u more on this one.
    bnl4life

Wait, so if a baby is ugly one shouldn't spend money on it? Harsh man, harsh....

Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    so if we don't like the mighty spector we shouldn't voice our displeasure here because that will be taken as an indirect personal attack on TG?
    He personally designed it so if you voice your opinion that it stinks I would say this could be considered a personal attack. Again, it's the "your baby is ugly" argument. I don't go in the customs forum and post messages like "that figure is horrible - what were you thinking?!?!". Everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion but just be sensitive.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

When I first saw it at power-con, I was like "who put deadpool in the case?"

It didnt really win me over right away, but I kept looking at it over the weekend and when i started noticing some things like the key wrist thing, the laser whip and the fact its the same guy from the guard 2 pack makes it more interesting to me.

As for any grief toward TG for his figure being made, I think its silly, I am honest enough to admit if I was in charge of this line I would be putting my own twist on it, I wish most people would admit they would be doing the same thing.

Its been said a bunch of times, but this figure has not taken anything away from anyone other MOTU/POP/NA/200X figure. Its part of the 30th sub, which from the beginning was said it would be figures never seen anywhere else and they didnt include them in the normal sub, b/c they knew not everyone would want them.

So again at the end, would I have picked a figure like this? No, not really. Is it going to kill the line? No way. Will people be complaining about this figure till the next figure reveals? Yup and then at the next reveals a new figure with take its spot. Its a never ending circle of hate sometimes.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

What happened to good old honesty? We should all clamor how great Spector is or even better, keep silent, just so we won't hurt the creator's feelings?

I'll remember that next time a figure comes with reversed shoulders or a glossy face... Don't say anything!! You might upset the 4 Horsemen or hurt some Chinese worker's feelings!!

He personally designed it so if you voice your opinion that it stinks I would say this could be considered a personal attack. Again, it's the "your baby is ugly" argument. I don't go in the customs forum and post messages like "that figure is horrible - what were you thinking?!?!". Everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion but just be sensitive.
    right so we shouldn't make any negative comments towards anyone's art. cause that's totally the same as saying something negative about someone's baby.

ok dude.

as for the customs forums, you probably don't do that because the majority of those are 100x better than spector (yeah, i went there) and because those figures aren't being released on matty.com as official figures (unfortunately).

and for those thinking there are attacks on TG, please read through this thread. i don't think anyone has attacked him in this thread. that was other thread which was rightly locked because of it.

Err, sorry, but that's pretty ridiculous. Anything you buy was made by someone. If you actually buy into what you're saying, then you shouldn't have opinions about films, videogames, music, or basically anything.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    The first thing that occurred to me when I saw that was "ooh-that'll be really easy to customize as Deadpool!"

As for the figure itself, it's just not strong. Same stuff that has been said over and over in this thread. Boring. Doesn't really fit with the rest of the line. Too super-hero-ish.

Whereas Fearless Photog looked like the result of an imaginative eight-year-old, this looks like the result of an un-imaginative eight-year-old. It honestly looks like what many of us probably were scribbling in our notebooks during math class.

People were asking what made it "not MOTUC". Nothing makes Spector special. Yes, the line was about gimmicks. And the gimmicks made nearly every single character recognizable. They made them special. Skeletor. Beast-Man. Clawful. Webstor. Ram-Man. Sy-Klone. Mechaneck. Put any of these in a lineup with random characters and you will likely know who is who. Not happening with this guy.

And before anyone gets butt-hurt because I "might hurt feelings", this was my opinion on the fig before I knew who designed it. People don't go into custom threads and complain because customs aren't being mass-produced and taking the place of what would likely be a better design.

People are negative on the internet. If you can't handle it, don't log on. Or do so. Whatever. I'm easily as tired of people acting indignant over legitimate complaints as you are of people ranting for no reason.
    Last edited by Prince Adam's Dad; September 26, 2011 at 01:01pm.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Cool concept - and if anyone has earned the right to design a MOTUC character it's ToyGuru....but the figure feels like a generic DC comics character or something like The Phantom from the old Charlton comic....not a MOTU character.

Would love to see more pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
    Is this a joke man? As funny as some your character names and designs are, I don't understand how your poll is going to be taken seriously. It does not present realistic alternatives for those who don't like Spector as-is. And he's winning the poll by the way.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    besides the deadpool/deathstroke look to him, I also think he kinda looks like a mix of Snake-Eyes, Cobra's Night Vulture, & Zen, the Intergalactic Ninja.
    Does Galactus fart?

*sigh*

We really need to keep this thread on topic here, folks. This is not the time nor the place to be discussing whether or not Scott deserved to design the character, his place in the line, or his place in the MOTU universe.

Posts have been deleted, and will be if the off-track discussion continues.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Heroic Warrior
    I really want to dislike this figure, but I just don't. It def doesn't "feel" motu, but as others have said, so what? One of the great things about this line is how many different types of characters make their way into the mythos.

My biggest problem with this guy is that he doesn't seem worth the money to me. But the added whip and knife might make it more palatable.

In any case he probably won't be a good guy in my motuverse. I'm thinking a freelance space ninja/assassin occasionally hired by the Horde.

here!!! here!!!

Heroic Warrior Horde Trooper 84's Avatar
    His design is just sadly uninspired. So bland. As a 30th anniversary figure I expected something very motu, over the top motu even, i thought that was the point of these 30th figures. Draego Man captured that aesthetic very well. Draego Man isnt my cup-o-tea, but he fits.

Spector doesnt scream motu and he should. He's a great example of why Mattel needs to start to rethink the reveal of new characters, ESPECIALLY for the 30th. Subscribers blindly enter into a contract with them and this happens. its not good enough. They need to start letting fans know well in advance of who's coming, for new stuff like this they need feedback early cos I bet its far too late in the production process to fix Spector. Sure its great fun to see figures at toy shows/cons with all the pomp and circumstance, but we're adults buying toys made for adults, we will vote hard with our wallets.

Its meant to be a celebration and its turned into a lynch mob. Im sure theres alot of angry people at Mattel after seeing our feedback. I cant understand how this got past the design stage, I really cant

Snake Hunter said it best, Spector will become the Jar Jar of MOTUC

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    He personally designed it so if you voice your opinion that it stinks I would say this could be considered a personal attack.
    Isn't a personal attack by definition something aimed at the person directly, not at something he's done? Calling TG ugly would be a clear personal attack, as would saying that he sucks at doing his job (which I'm not claiming here, by the way!) but criticizing something he's made is aimed at the thing he has done, not the man himself.

That's not to say that criticism of your work can't hurt your feelings. People tend to be emotionally invested in their creations. Still, it's considered fair to call out what you see as flaws in someone's works as long as you don't stoop to personal attacks.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Guys please take it easy on TG. This is the same thing as telling a new parent their baby is ugly.
    New parents don't ask me to pay $28.70 for their ugly baby.

If you don't like it, speak with your wallets. If you bought a sub, try to sell it on the secondary market or use it for a custom as someone mentioned above.
    Yeah! If you don't like MOTUC Deadpool, just (try to) sell it on the secondary market! That'll show Mattel!
    Last edited by ksensor; September 26, 2011 at 01:59pm.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    I am completely fine with well created, creative characters, with interesting bios, and a cool look to them.

that being said, this is the lamest "created" character that I have ever seen. thats the truth, no matter WHO created it. there is a reason why some people are artistic and some people are not.

wasted space. I would feel different, if it was better. it is not.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Everything in the industry is designed by someone, just as every TV show or movie is written or directed or produced by someone. Saying, "I think the design is lacking" or "it looks too much like a 90's hero" is in no way a personal attack on anyone. Saying "You are a creep and should jump off the nearest pier" is a personal attack. I'm sorry, but anyone working in any industry, designing product to be sold, had better be ready for both good and bad reviews, as long as they are constructive.

In that vein, I have to say I'm not overwhelmed by the figure, as it looks more like a generic super-hero/villain. I can see where the 90's Image comparison is coming from. On the other hand, I'm someone who wouldn't mind seeing a figure of Filmation's Negator, either, and his outfit was definitely in the spandex clad super-villain category, so it's hard to say that such designs don't belong in MOTU at all.

Honestly, I was hoping for something a little more fun from TG; he's always seemed to get the idea that MOTU is supposed to be, first and foremost, an enjoyable romp through any genre you can think of, where anything can fit in. It's not a terrible figure or concept, but I guess I just expected a little more whimsy from TG than we're getting here.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...Oy!! I can't believe the furor over this ONE figure. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but tactfully-stated opinion and misguided vitrol are two distinctly different things, folks. It's an OPTIONAL purchase on sales-day, or part of an OPTIONAL add-on subscription. Period. No one is puting a gun to anyone's head and saying "BUY THIS/LIKE THIS OR ELSE!!". As far as design goes, again, it all comes down to pure opinion. Personally, in my most humble of opinions, it looks pretty cool!! And "fitting in with the line" is nonsense, since as others have tried to point out (heaven forbid the voices of reason!), character design has been all over the map since the original line! Barbarians, weird animal-men, teched-out coyboys, ninjas, ghosts, robots, cyborgs, gals with bird-fetishes , TALKING BROOMS, and on and on! To make claims that ANY concept doesn't "fit" is just rubbish.