Thread: Do Blu-Ray players come with AV cables?

HD figures on youtube

Do Blu-Ray players come with AV cables?

Yeah, STUPID question, since av cables defeat the purpose of Blu, but let me explain. I in no way shape or form can afford a HD tv right now, but what I am doing, is getting Blu-Ray discs each month. Every time I want a new movie, and they have a Blu/DVD combo pack, I snatch it up.

But sometimes, like the new Star Wars sets, they ONLY offer blu. So, I'm out in the cold on those in til I buy a new TV. And on the movies, like X-Men First Class, that don't offer a combo pack, I feel strange buying the DVD, when I know I'll be buying the BR later. So, even though it will NOT be HD, is there anyway I could buy a Blu-Ray player, and use it with my current TV?

I looked at amazon, and none that I could find say av cables are included, but I'm not even sure if it would mention it even if it had them. Or the PS3 maybe? Yeah, like I said, it's a stupid thought, but I could more afford a blu-ray player then a HD tv right now.

Thanks for reading.

I'm not sure about the A/V cables thing, but I bought X-men: First Class from Target and it's a BluRay/Dvd combo pack.

HD figures on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by LesPaulPS2 View Post
    I'm not sure about the A/V cables thing, but I bought X-men: First Class from Target and it's a BluRay/Dvd combo pack.
    Whoa, just found it on amazon, $49.99. Maybe I can get it cheaper somewhere(have no targets).

Don't know for certain about others, but my player only has hdmi out. I really doubt you'd get any with av cables though since, as you point out, it defeats the purpose of blu-ray.

If you're not getting a new TV any time soon then I'd say just get the DVD versions. When you do get round to buying HD kit, the blu player will upscale pretty well in most cases until you decide to replace the DVDs.

HD figures on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by byinfernoslight View Post

If you're not getting a new TV any time soon then I'd say just get the DVD versions. When you do get round to buying HD kit, the blu player will upscale pretty well in most cases until you decide to replace the DVDs.
    Yeah, the only thing that kinda makes me wonder about that, is I keep hearing Blu discs are hard to damage, and last much much longer. So I really like buying Blu when I can, but that might not even be true anyway.

i can confirm that the ps3 comes with A/V cables. i bought one last year but didn't have HD until a month ago.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Most stand alone players, to my knowledge, some with composite yellow, red, and white AV cables.

You may just want to double check what is included with a player before you decide to purchase it (i.e. see if there's a list on the box that states what is inlcuded, etc).

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

HD figures on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
    i can confirm that the ps3 comes with A/V cables. i bought one last year but didn't have HD until a month ago.
    Awesome, did you ever play Blu-Ray movies? Thanks for telling me.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I thought they had some sort of HD component video output - I see inputs in the back of my TV that don't match red/white/yellow video output cables. Not sure what those are for. They're not HDMI cable jacks either.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I thought they had some sort of HD component video output - I see inputs in the back of my TV that don't match red/white/yellow video output cables. Not sure what those are for. They're not HDMI cable jacks either.
    Are the inputs red, green and blue? If so, that's component video.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Are the inputs red, green and blue? If so, that's component video.
    I figured it was some kind of component video - perhaps high def.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    My parents own a Panasonic Blu-Ray player that they have hooked up to a CRT television (the older style) with composite video cable {red & white for audio, yellow for video}. My parents are able to watch blu-ray discs just fine on the CRT T.V. so you shouldn't have any problems either provided you buy a player with the necessary outputs.

A website will at least have a listing of the player's ports, but ideally there'll be a picture of the back panel up. You might want to take some time to check out a few stores, (EG Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) where you can handle a unit and see the back panel, then compare store pricing with online pricing.

Here's a picture of a composite video cable, the player should have color matched outputs:

Unedited Director's Cut Captain Wow's Avatar
    I have a Magnavox Blu-Ray player and yes, it comes with A/V cables. Although I'm sure I'll probably never use them.
    "You see, I've got this real moron thing I do...it's called 'thinking'...and I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin

I actually work in electronics retail / home theater installation for Best Buy so I can confirm every blu-ray player on the market today will offer you MINIMUM :

Composite AV (audio / video) out (that's the yellow, red, white cables)
    These cables will be included in the box on 99.9% of players you buy, if not, they are probably around $10 bucks for a set of them separately.

and either an Optical or Digital Coax audio out port (for surround sound connection to an AV receiver that doesn't support HDMI. If you're not doing a surround sound system, ignore this entirely.

HDMI out for connection to an HD TV directly (supports up to 1080p HD video and stereo audio in one cable) ...

...or to an AV surround-sound receiver (supports 5.1 or 7.1 audio, again, if you're not doing a surround sound system, don't worry about that part for now)

P.S. if you are buying the DVD / blu-ray combo's now at give or take $30, maybe hold off on a couple and you can get a no-frills BD player for $100 or less now. (by no-frills I mean it won't support internet connected features or 3D playback, but will play BD, DVD and CD discs fine)
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    My parents own a Panasonic Blu-Ray player that they have hooked up to a CRT television (the older style) with composite video cable {red & white for audio, yellow for video}. My parents are able to watch blu-ray discs just fine on the CRT T.V. so you shouldn't have any problems either provided you buy a player with the necessary outputs.

A website will at least have a listing of the player's ports, but ideally there'll be a picture of the back panel up. You might want to take some time to check out a few stores, (EG Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) where you can handle a unit and see the back panel, then compare store pricing with online pricing.

Here's a picture of a composite video cable, the player should have color matched outputs:

http://i.imgur.com/uXNrL.jpg
    Yup, it will work just fine. For the most part, it really won't be much different than watching DVDs on a regular TV, though you may still notice a slight increase in quality. For most movies, depending on the aspect ratio you will either have black bars on the top and bottom of the screen where there wouldn't be any when watching the movie on a widescreen HDTV, or in the case of wider aspects ratio movies, you will just get bigger black bars.

I have, out of sheer curiosity, hooked a PS3 to a regular old CRT TV before and playing Blu-Rays on it works just fine.

The only issue is watching any 4:3 content on Blu-Ray on a CRT TV. 4:3 is the screen size ratio of old CRT TVs. Some older movies (The Wizard of Oz comes to mind, as well as several older animated Disney movies, and even the first 2 out of the 3 Family Guy Star Wars parodies) are in the 4:3 ratio. The "problem" is that when formatted for a Blu-Ray, what you are actually getting is a 16:9 "widescreen" picture with black bars going up and down the sides, in which those black bars are actually part of the picture.

When you watch something like that on an old CRT TV, you basically get a "window box" effect in which the actual movie/tv show image is small and in the middle of the screen, surrounded by black on all sides. This is because the black immediately to the left and right of the picture are part of the picture, and since the TV/player is registering that as a 16:9 picture, it's adding the black bars to the top and bottom of the screen.

The content that will be effected by this is few and far between, though. Most movies are widescreen, and in the case of Disney movies, most of those come in combo packs with DVDs anyway, so you could just opt to watch the DVD copy.

But IMO it's not a bad idea to collect Blu-Rays now for whenever you can eventually afford an HDTV. If you are going to buy those movies anyway, you may as well pay a couple of bucks more and get the blu-ray versions. That way when you get an HDTV, you'll have plenty of HD content to watch.

And contrary to what some believe, upscaling DVDs really does not compare to watching a Blu-Ray. The quality difference is quite noticeable.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

HD figures on youtube
    You guys have been even more helpful then I ever emagined, thanks so much. I will be getting a Blu-Ray player for sure in a couple weeks. So now, I might not even bother with combo packs, but instead just get straight Blu, since I can watch them.

BlueLobster1979-Thanks a LOT for all that info. So, even if I happen to get one without the cables, it should come with the outputs, awesome to hear. Yeah I don't want all the internet & 3D crap anyway.

Again, thanks to all, very helpful forum.

Quote Originally Posted by BCreviews4628 View Post
    Awesome, did you ever play Blu-Ray movies? Thanks for telling me.
    both iron man blu-rays worked just fine. i didn't have any others to try prior to the new tv.

HD figures on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
    both iron man blu-rays worked just fine. i didn't have any others to try prior to the new tv.
    Good to know, thanks man.

I have been thinking of getting one since I recently got a new TV that is HD capable. But I have only begun the "shopping around" process for it, and being so broke I can't pay attention isn't helping.