Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A modest proposal for Stinkor to Scott.

Heroic Warrior

A modest proposal for Stinkor to Scott.

I may be a small portion of the fan base but there are certain individuals like myself that have VERY SENSITIVE allergies to perfumes and scents. As a child I still remember having to return Stinkor and Moss Man to the toy store because they literally made me sick. My proposal then to Scott and the other PTB at Mattel is why not include a plastic pouch of whatever scent it is you want him to smell like so that those of us who have allergies and want to display him loose could do so? The difference in production between simply "soaking" him with said scent and including a pouch would be minimal I'd assume given work on other toy lines I've had.

I can understand if this isn't possible but as adults we should have the option of being able to display these pieces of art as I view them without having to miss out due to issues that were logistically complicated in the 80's- I already had to miss out on Moss Man for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    I may be a small portion of the fan base but there are certain individuals like myself that have VERY SENSITIVE allergies to perfumes and scents. As a child I still remember having to return Stinkor and Moss Man to the toy store because they literally made me sick. My proposal then to Scott and the other PTB at Mattel is why not include a plastic pouch of whatever scent it is you want him to smell like so that those of us who have allergies and want to display him loose could do so? The difference in production between simply "soaking" him with said scent and including a pouch would be minimal I'd assume given work on other toy lines I've had.

I can understand if this isn't possible but as adults we should have the option of being able to display these pieces of art as I view them without having to miss out due to issues that were logistically complicated in the 80's- I already had to miss out on Moss Man for the same reason.
    I believe the scent is actually mixed in with the plastic.

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post

That sucks to have allergies but you expect them to change something for you and maybe a few others out of thousands. A little selfish don't you think.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

I dont think the new plastic holds the scent nearly as long as the old rubber they used in the 80's - my classics Moss Man doesnt hardly smell anymore and( was never that strong to begin with) after a year of being on the shelf in a smoke free home. I suggest opening them and putting them in the garage or something.
    PHP Code:
    J-DUBYA!! 

FEEDBACK LINK http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205315

J to the DUB at YA

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah my last resort would be to seal it somewhere and see if I can use a product to leech the smell from it completely. Also Mick I guarantee there are others more than a "few" who have scent and perfume allergies- without adding on the amount of adult collectors who are already expressing upset at the scent of Moss Man let alone a "bad" smell Stinkor would have. I do get what you're saying but I also never said I WON'T buy it if they don't offer an option- it would just be a pleasant compromise.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I'd love it if the scent didn't show up. I HATE that smell...
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    I'm not sure you'll have much to worry about. The smell on my Moss Man has completely disappeared. Unfortunately, when I open up the cabinet I don't get the Pine Fresh scent anymore

As far as Stinkor's scent...I LOVED it as a kid! It was my first exposure to a patchouli kind of scent, and it still sticks with me to this day. I was hoping that they would make Stinkor utterly reek, but I hope for folks with allergies or the like that it dissipates quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    That sucks to have allergies but you expect them to change something for you and maybe a few others out of thousands. A little selfish don't you think.
    You're all heart.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Wait a minute!....... gets into Kanye West mode.....

Toyguru Hates People who has Allergies!

Ok I am done now!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I would like it very much if the scent was minimal. It's one thing to have Moss Man stinking up the house with pine scent (which he did!), but at least that's a pleasant sort of smell. I hope they keep the bad smell a bit light. (Please!)

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Personally, I will be offended if all figures from here on out DON'T have a strong scent embedded in the plastic. All living things, and most mechanical, have some sort of scent, and I want my MOTUC collection to reflect that. I want a re-released Gygor, Battle Cat, and Panthor to smell like a real gorilla, tiger, and panther. I want Dragstor to reek of diesel fumes. Skeletor should be implanted with the actual odor of human decay, and Gwildor should be infused with the essence of the late, great, Billy Barty.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    You're all heart.
    Lately we have been flooded with small minority's *cough*Illumina wanter's*cough* among other silly demands. Not trying to be heartless just getting sick of all the people that think they deserve special treatment. This line is made for the many and not the few.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

Lately we have been flooded with small minority's *cough*Illumina wanter's*cough* among other silly demands. Not trying to be heartless just getting sick of all the people that think they deserve special treatment. This line is made for the many and not the few.
    And requests for Illumina and non-scented Stinkors are just as valid as requests for Man-E-Faces's flesh tone, Stinkor's feet, Style-guide PoP, and whatever the heck else people clamor for.

Something isn't irrelevant or silly simply because you don't like it, want it, or relate to it.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

just to be fare we have been demanding for 10 years we are not new

and i'm sorry about your allergies man i don't have any but i wish he did not stink

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Just when you thought you've heard it all.....I don't mean to sound cruel, but straight and to the point....Leave it how it was, and is, intended to be...

Should flocked figures not be flocked since there "could" be people with highly sensitive skin and therefore the flock could be a skin irritant when handled? We could go on all day with this sorta stuff people......

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    And requests for Illumina and non-scented Stinkors are just as valid as requests for Man-E-Faces's flesh tone, Stinkor's feet, Style-guide PoP, and whatever the heck else people clamor for.

Something isn't irrelevant or silly simply because you don't like it, want it, or relate to it.
    I disagree with your comments. I don't think your comparisons are in the same category as this subject. Back to the subject if Stinkor did not smell he would not be Stinkor. Nearly everybody and I mean everybody wants him to smell. As I said earlier if his smell causes you trouble that sucks but to ask for special treatment or to change something specifically for you and maybe a few others and not think about the thousands who want him to smell is selfish. I see this kind of behavior come up way to often on here.

stinkor will smell? is this official?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    stinkor will smell? is this official?
    yup it is. it's on matty

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Are there any odor-removing chemicals that could work on Stinkor without damaging the plastic? I've in the past used something (that I forgot the name of unfortunately) on a toy I bought from a smoking household, and I got at least the majority of the smell off completely. I know it's different when the odorous chemical has been mixed with all the plastic in the manufacturing stage, so it may not be possible. If that would work, though, maybe the toy could be made tolerable to an allergy sufferer even if it is manufactured with the smell?
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

My girlfriend has a lot of allergies, so I totally understand where this request is coming from.

Still, since I personally do not have any allergies, and love Stinkor for what he is, I would like him to smell awefully bad! Really bad and very intensively.

Maybe TG can step in and tell us if it is possible to produce 2/3 stinky and 1/3 without odors. They could do a running change on moss Man with flocking.

I know that the smell is mixed in the plastic to stay alive for longer, but also I don't really know the process in total, maybe it is possible to do it!

April is still far away and maybe TG can make it happen, cos it would totally stink if people who love the figure, cannot posses him, or only MOSC, just because of their allergies!

But if we have only one choice smelling or non-smellong.

I must say I would like to go with smelling!

TG said that that Moss Man had three samples.

Light odor
    Intermediate smell
    And pure artifical pine

They went with the intermediate one and still people complained it is too strong, but as already stated, it starts to fate on loose figures.

Make Stinkor intermediate as well and those with allergies must place him somewhere to store for a while and then they surely can display it as well.

My girlfriend, also not allergic to odors, would be totally ****** off, if the house smells like .....!

I would rather Stinkor not have a smell myself. I really do not see the point. I mean who goes around sniffing their figures ?

Yes he is based on a Skunk , and yes his main weapon was his stink , but do you really want a stinky action figure ?

They should have thrown up a poll to let the fan base decide like they did with flesh tones and swift wind colors.

Maybe they could do something like , not having the figure itself stink , but add a little vial of smelly liquid that you could put on him.

We got dials cause they were true to the 80s so, stinkor BETTER BE STINKY!! (cause he was in the 80s...)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenlon View Post
    I would rather Stinkor not have a smell myself. I really do not see the point. I mean who goes around sniffing their figures ?
    Me! I still go up to my Moss Man to have a sniff

Quote Originally Posted by Shenlon View Post
    i do! any time i open a new toy, the first thing i do is smell it. fresh plastic has a wonderful scent. with moss man, i didn't have to put the toy up to my nose. i could smell him as soon as i cracked open the package. but like everyone else's, the scent did become more mild over time and so i will put him up to my nose when i want that great pine sol aroma.

Ok, my only concern with Stinkor is, how BAD will he smell? I have all my MOTUC figures in a glass case from ikea and having Moss Man in their created a pine scent throughout the case. No biggie for me because pine is one of my favorite scents.

Now, Stinkor will be in the case....what is my case going to smell like? I am a little concerened about it. I still will be getting him with my sub and keeping him loose with everyone else...but...I do hope it isn't a frightening smell. I don't remember what the 80's toy smelled like. Does anyone else remember? Can it be explained in words?