Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A modest proposal for Stinkor to Scott.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mick4metal View Post
    That sucks to have allergies but you expect them to change something for you and maybe a few others out of thousands. A little selfish don't you think.
    A couple facts:
    Number of people in the U.S. who have either allergy or asthma symptoms: one in five.

Percentage of the U.S. population that tests positive to one or more allergens: 55%.

Me, I think it's a little selfish not to have some small consideration for the MANY folks out there in the world who have allergies and asthma. My allergies aren't that bad (I get a bad runny nose and sneeze my head off, but that's it); even so, I had to leave my original Mossy and Stinky closed up in a package for near a decade until the smell faded enough to put them out on display without reacting to them. I can imagine what folks who are more suceptible to such things might go through, so some way of allowing you to have Stinkor both ways would seem a reasonable move.

Truthfully, I don't know if it's going to be a big problem here, though, as Moss Man's supposed scent was almost gone by the time I got him. This is one case where Mattel's shoddy standards actually worked in my favor. I will say, however, that he isn't in my bedroom, and Stinky won't be either.
    Last edited by scott metzger; September 28, 2011 at 02:21pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Even though I had Stinkor brand new, I can't remember him ever smelling so i'm looking forward to seeing what the stink is like.

Someone out there is allergic to everything, bit of a mine field if matty start worrying about everything someone might have an allergy too. What if someone is allergic to plastic lol, they can't re-release all the figures in metal for them.

Heroic Warrior
    People who reacted so defensively failed to see the part where I clearly stated I will STILL PURCHASE HIM AND TRY TO LEECH THE SMELL OUT- I just wondered if it was possible and therefore posed the question to Scott. It's not meant to be a snobby request or making a stir I was just curious of the possibility. I still LOVE the figure and will still purchase him for my loose collection (through subscription) but it would rock if there was an option if not, I'll still have him anyway as the 4HM and Mattel knocked his design out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    HE HAS A SUB! MATTY IS FORCING POISON INTO HIS HOUSE AND UP HIS NOSE!!!

but seriously, if he has a sub, he doesn't have much of a choice. hopefully the smell doesn't escape the box and he can just leave it in there.
    As if we're talking about hazardous waste sent to us. The scent on Moss Man was very mild. People are referencing their childhood allergy stories being recreated by Mattel 25 years later.

IDk...i have asthma..and a **** ton of allergies... im kinda like a bubble boy
    however i don't ask people to make any exceptions in my case.... i just make due with the situation at hand...way it goes man...
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

Heroic Warrior
    I feel bad for vertigoink and his allergies. It must suck to need an antihistamine just to get near your toys. I once bought some MOTU stuf off ebay and when I got it from the seller it all reaked like an ash tray. I was really upset so even though it's not the same, I kinda understand where he is coming from.

But, as a kid to have figure that really smelled was what made Stinkor so popular. So I hope he smells.

Personally I don't want him to have a smell. Moss-man smells awful, but at least it has weakened over time. My wife is very unimpressed about Stinkor's release because she hates Moss-man's smell and to her the thought of this is worse.
    Smelly toys were awesome when I was 5, as an adult not so much.

I'll just put him in the garden shed until the smell has weakened enough to bring him in the house.

Take them in the bath with you and wash off the smell

Quote Originally Posted by Granamyr View Post
    I feel bad for vertigoink and his allergies. It must suck to need an antihistamine just to get near your toys. I once bought some MOTU stuf off ebay and when I got it from the seller it all reaked like an ash tray. I was really upset so even though it's not the same, I kinda understand where he is coming from.

But, as a kid to have figure that really smelled was what made Stinkor so popular. So I hope he smells.
    God I hate that too when stuff from ebay stinks of ****. Disgusting. Have to leave them outside for a day or two and really wash them hard to get rid of it.

I have asthma as well as allergies to perfumes. I have to hold my breath when walking through the perfume section of a dept store but for Stinkor I say, "Bring on the stink!"
    Last edited by jerec350; September 28, 2011 at 03:11pm.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Funny, back when this line was new and Moss Man and Stinkor weren't even remotely on the table yet, it was said that if they were ever done they most likely wouldn't smell.

And there was much complaining.

It was also brought up back then about this "Scent packet" and it had the same divided audience.

I should know, because I'm the one that suggested it.

As for those who want the smell and would think it wouldn't smell as much as being mixed into the plastic, trust me, it does. I scented my vintage Perfuma myself over a decade ago (who never was scented to begin with) and trust me, she STILL smells...

The only concern I'd see is some idiot doing something with the scent packet they shouldn't be (ingesting it, experimenting with it, or an allergic person fooling with it) and then Mattel gets sued.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    The only concern I'd see is some idiot doing something with the scent packet they shouldn't be (ingesting it, experimenting with it, or an allergic person fooling with it) and then Mattel gets sued.
    A Warning label could always be applied , and it cannot be more toxic than the little stay fresh packs in food and shipping containers to keep things fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenlon View Post
    A Warning label could always be applied , and it cannot be more toxic than the little stay fresh packs in food and shipping containers to keep things fresh.
    Yeah, but you're not supposed to ingest those, either...

Also with the scent packet, you could make your figs smell as little or as much as you wanted, and those who wanted more could get scent packets from those who didn't want them. It'd work out for everyone!
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    as if we're talking about hazardous waste sent to us. The scent on moss man was very mild. People are referencing their childhood allergy stories being recreated by mattel 25 years later.
    alert the post master general!

The scent packet idea is ridiculous. So what do we do for the MOC collector now, make a special run for him/her with the scent already incorporated? It never ends. If it's not one thing it's another.

Such drama over toys.... As mentioned...leave it how it's intended to be.

Hello...He's STINKOR. Evil Master of Odors. Of course he's going to stink. I hope it's just like the vintage smell. I now can tell my wife "it's not me, it's probably that darn Stinkor."

^^

Hey great meeting you at the Con. Thanks for hooking me up with the ticket.

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    A couple facts:
    Number of people in the U.S. who have either allergy or asthma symptoms: one in five.

Percentage of the U.S. population that tests positive to one or more allergens: 55%.
    Now out of those 55% how many are allergic to the Stinkor (Patchoulie) smell? I have allergies but not to Moss Man or Stinkor so while I am in that 55% it does not mean that the toy will cause allergies in 55% of the customer base.

I am sorry that these particular allergies affect you. I hope you are able to remove the smell but it will be hard since it's mixed with the plastic. You may have to do a variation on the suggestion of a scent packet and make him smell like something you are not allergic to. Even then you may still get adverse symptoms.

The current possible option is to buy a Stinkor toy and perhaps get a custom Stinkor made for you out of Mer Man and Beast Man parts. If Stinkors armor is not smelly you could then transfer that over. I have a feeling the whole figure will smell though that is just me guessing. Also getting the custom will probably cost you more.

Sadly I just don't see them making a special run of figures for the small percent of the population that have this specific allergy.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

Leave Stinkor Alone!

Sorry to the alergy sufferers, but I want my Stinkor to stink.

You have every right to make the request, but my vote goes towards a stinky Stinkor. I suffer from serious hayfever so I know how bad alergies can be. But it's stinkor. Just last night I was going through my zip-locked vintage collection and they still had that familiar smell. I was high on nostalgia!