Thread: custom cards question

custom cards question

I am currently considering putting one of my vintage customs on a custom card. Well, not really considering, I want to put him on a card. I have a few questions though. Hope someone can help me with this.

- What material is best to print the custom card on? Sticker sheets? Photo paper? Cardboard? (can that actually fit into a printer?)

- How does one make a 'sturdy' card? Any (photo)paper that goes through a printer will not be strong enough to function as a card back. Is multiple layers glued together the best option? If so, how do I ensure it won't bubble?

- As for now I figured I'd print both sides of the card on photo paper and glue front and back together, maybe with a piece of cardboard in between for 'thickness'. When done, I need to attach the bubble. If I use regular transparent hobby glue, will that work? And will that not cause the ink from the print to look al dodgy and stained?

Anny tips and comments are appreciated!! I've seen some wonderful custom cards here on the boards and they look quite professional!

Hi I'm not sure what the rest of the community do or the 'normal' thing to do would be but I've had plenty of experience in presenting dummy packaging proofs etc. So I would say use a sturdy card and stick good quality print outs to both sides with a permanent mount spray. A scalpel is a very useful tool when it comes to things like this. As far as gluing the clear plastic to the card I'd either experiment with a Bostik type of glue or perhaps even double sided sticky tape. Good luck :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Motu View Post
    I've had plenty of experience in presenting dummy packaging proofs etc. So I would say use a sturdy card and stick good quality print outs to both sides with a permanent mount spray.
    Ah, that IS a very good idea. The thought of using mount spray has never crossed my mind. That will give the layers a nice and even layer of glue!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Motu View Post
    As far as gluing the clear plastic to the card I'd either experiment with a Bostik type of glue or perhaps even double sided sticky tape. Good luck :-)
    I quite like that double sided tape idea. Has anybody here had any experience in this?

I did this one time.. I printed my cardbacks on 200 gr semi gloss paper (with crop marks) and stuck it on board with spray on glue.. then I cut it to size.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I did this one time.. I printed my cardbacks on 200 gr semi gloss paper (with crop marks) and stuck it on board with spray on glue.. then I cut it to size.
    Thanks, I will have a try at that! I have the paper, I have the board...
    Will get me some spray on glue later this week.
    How did you attach the bubble, if I may ask?

I never found a bubble I could use. But the plan was to make it resealable so I wasn't going go glue it on. Do you know the transparent plastic poster hanging strips? I was thinking of using those to clamp the bubble in place.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I never found a bubble I could use. But the plan was to make it resealable so I wasn't going go glue it on. Do you know the transparent plastic poster hanging strips? I was thinking of using those to clamp the bubble in place.
    Ah, that's a good idea!!
    BTW - If you are looking for vintage bubbles, I have a few extra left. PM me if you ant any (I live in The Netherlands also)