Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Official Griffin Thread

Do they pack these things with the paint is still wet? I dont get how they managed to rub the paint off the beaks of both my Griffins. There is also brown paint on the front window of both of mine, where the rubber band holds the wings. There is at least an inch between the window and the wing.

Griffin 001.jpg
    Last edited by orbles; June 22, 2012 at 11:45pm.

I got mine today....and I can't stop looking at him. I think he's my new favorite beast too, and I'm not a big 200x style fan.....although in this line it's slowly starting to grow on me (Zodak, BGEL, 200x Stinkor head). I can't imagine how the 4H could out do this guy. He almost sets the bar too high for future beasts.

Got mine mine today and all 3 have paint rubs on the beaks. Otherwise, they are amazing. Now I just have to find matching paint to touch up the beaks.

I finally open mine and its hind leg is not attached! I thought I would be able to pop it back it, but no luck. Guess I'll try my luck with DR customer service.

Heroic Warrior
    Two small problems: the saddle is really loose, and the wings kind of interfere with beastman's feet...he bounces off a bit when I play with it.

Got mine mine today and all 3 have paint rubs on the beaks.

I finally open mine and its hind leg is not attached !

And these flaws justify the reason why I didn't spend 60 or 70 euros for the Griffin ! When you buy an item at that kind of pricepoint, you expect it to be flawless. It's sad, because I really wanted a Griffin. But QC killed my need to get him. I'm surprised there aren't more issues with the wings, as Toyguru's Griffin had his left wing popping out very easily. To this day, there still wasn't any Pixen Dan preview... no, wait... REVIEW, as the figure was released before we got a Pixel Dan video of it. No Pixel Dan preview, but a poor Toyguru preview... will this be the new trend ? If so, I may pass on quite a lot of figures going forward.
    Last edited by Prahvus; June 23, 2012 at 04:24am.

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    I got 2 of these today. One had a DETACHED leg bouncing around inside the box. BOTH had this orange paint from the beak all over the inside of the window, and brown paint on the window at the other end.

I've never needed to do it before, but I think I'm gonna get replacements for both.

Quote Originally Posted by orbles View Post
    Do they pack these things with the paint is still wet? I dont get how they managed to rub the paint off the beaks of both my Griffins. There is also brown paint on the front window of both of mine, where the rubber band holds the wings. There is at least an inch between the window and the wing.

Griffin 001.jpg

Snappy Threader
    Just got mine and it is way cooler than I thought it would be.

I honestly can't believe that the griffin is still available on Matty Collector. I think if people could see this is person--they would HAVE to buy it--it's that awesome When I received mine a few days ago and opened the box--I just said "WOW" when I first saw him in my hands--which is saying ALOT due to being so impressed with Horde Prime and Man at Arms which I opened first. I am happy every month when I get my Motu figures--but this was definitely one of the best months I've seen in recent memory
    Last edited by He-Kal; June 23, 2012 at 01:40pm.

southern california...where the weather isn't all that hot...but the girls sure are :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    To this day, there still wasn't any Pixen Dan preview... no, wait... REVIEW, as the figure was released before we got a Pixel Dan video of it. No Pixel Dan preview, but a poor Toyguru preview... will this be the new trend ? If so, I may pass on quite a lot of figures going forward.
    In the "preview" video that Scott did, he explained that the PR samples didn't come in time to send them out

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I am happy every month when I get my Motu figures--but this was definitely one of the best months I've seen in recent memory
    I agree, I really loved everything this month, SMAA was a nice surprise. The extra paint apps and creative use of parts make him excellent, I was not excited about him at all either. The Griffin is really amazing in person, I love all the head details and thank goodness they painted the wings. It is my favorite beast so far!

The quality control on this seems to be non-existent. The right wing on mine has missing paint splotches and the joint it so loose it can only hold the wing up at a full ninety degree angle. Anything less than that and gravity pulls it until the wing tip touches the ground.

Went to Michaels today and bought about 5 bucks worth of acrylic paint. I experimented mixing red and yellow and came up with an almost perfect match for the Griffin's beak. Touched up all 3 of mine in minutes. I am not a customizer, so I wasn't sure how this would turn out, but I'm super happy with my Griffin's now. That said, Matty needs to get on top of this QC thing. We shouldn't have to spend time and money fixing their screw ups.

Did anyone else have to snap their wings back into place when they opened theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by batman1180 View Post
    Did anyone else have to snap their wings back into place when they opened theirs?
    It's supposed to ship without the wings attached, presumably to take up less space in the box.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Got mine Friday and it is easily the highlight of this month's MOTUC sub. I'm glad the neck joint is tighter than Battlecat's and really hope they find more uses for the eagle legs.
    Could we get some Meteorbs, Please???!!!

Got mine and the leg is detached bouncing around in the box, along with brown paint all over the front window. Couldnt wait for it to dry i guess. Should i even bother with DR customer Service since i wanted to leave it MOC?

Got mine yesterday, just got around to opening him today. Why he sat in my hometown the Newgistic sorting center for 4 business days before they handing him over the local UPS depo to deliver boggles the mind . Still, he got here safe and sound. No quality issues on mine. Paint is good, joints are as tight as you can expect from Mattel (mean some are fine, others are a little loose, but livable). Visually, once I take the saddle off, I love him. Even though he is suppose to be pure brown with minor highlight, I do not mind the final wing paint choice- it does make him more impressive.

I do have a few nitpicks. None are meant as "Mattel messed up again", more personal dislikes. I recently run into a rash of pointless jointing from various toy lines that do not enhance the figure and in some cases make posing figures more of a chore to impossible. I present them constructive criticisms in hopes future toys could be improved. Note- I do not own Battlecat/Panthor/Swiftwind, so this is my first experience with the cat buck and wings.

The "why joints":
    *Head and neck joints- the head only swivels around 180 degrees. No side to side or up and down, The range of the up and down motion on the neck is so limit it is pointless. If the joint wasn't going to work, they could have fused this into one piece (making the head a tad smaller).
    *The double joint on the back leg. The only point I could see this being useful is if you could make cat body rear up on its hide legs, which I have not found a good position to make this work (due to the stubby legs and tail). Grant, the Griffin may be a bit more front heavy. It is currently, it adds no play value, the could have cut the joint down to 1 instead of 2. If it was sculpted less slavishly to real life cat proportions, slightly lengthening the rear knee and shin joint would make this joint useful (see Talons below).
    *Tail joint- what is the point of the swivel and right angle joint when the haunch sculpt has a lip that limits the range of movement? If the tail wasn't in the way, I likely could get the Griffin up on his hind legs.

Missed jointing opportunity:
    Rear Talons: One cool thing about Griffins (in MOTU and other lore) this their ability to grab things with their bird talons. The first griffin toy on market since the 80's (I think there was one in the AD&D line) and we get a none functional Griffin, from the Horsemen no less. Shame.

Saddle
    Is this the Battlecat saddle? The plus is the soft plastic, an improvement over the original 80's hard plastic one. The personal minus, I think it looks wrong on the griffin, especially how far the back half hangs over the griffin's butt. I'm not such a purist to say he should not have a saddle at all, in a perfect world just he should have a a different one- more furry and rustic.
    Last edited by Steph; June 27, 2012 at 05:45pm.

It's a brand new saddle. I like the way it hangs off the back, personally. It makes it unique compared to the cats and I think it has a nice sweep.

I absolutely love these darn things. I have 3 of my 5 so far and I cannot stop messing with them. Mine are all tight but one did have a leg not attached which wasn't a big deal. No paint rub on mine either, however this issue is almost across the entire line. I picked up 3 more Palace Guard sets today and all 10 of my Guards have silver on their arm from the shiled, and their hands have it as well. Several others have been plagued with it as well but I can't recall who at the moment. My only complaint with the cat buck is that I think the number of joints in the rear legs is too much. The beasts are heavy and I see them being super loose down the line. However, I use floor wax and it stiffened up my Battle Cat joints right away. Just gotta keep some handy I guess. Best...beast...ever! I do not see how Mattel can outdo the Griffin.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Totally stoked about the Griffin. I love this figure! (I am a big Mythology geek, and an even bigger He-Fan. Put those two together and I am in heaven with this figure!)

Paint rubs aside, I think Griffin turned out spectacularly.

I have the Shadow beast standing next to the Griffin with Beastman riding on top, looks fantastic. Kudos Mattel & 4H, this guy rocks!
    **Staunch FILMation Subscription supporter!!! **** NEEDS a New Adventures Subscription!!!**

MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

In case any 200X fans wanted to know:

The 200X figures look ridiculously good riding the MOTUC GRIFFINs!

Yes, I mix my display.

"I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

those looks so good with 200X, should try without the saddle, im pretty sure they didnt have saddles in the cartoon or am I remembering wrong
    the ignore list is my new best friend

My Griffin just arrived today and man..... I can't believe I almost passed on him! It wasn't until Sunday that I watched Pixel Dan's review of him that I changed my mind and ordered him!
    Glad I'm not a mint on card collector because The figure box was pretty mashed up. My box also had paint smeared all over the windows,fortunately The Griffin was still in great shape,aside from one small dark grey feather on the back wing that had a bit of paint missing(should be simple to fix).Beast-Man looks great on him!

I got really lucky with him not selling out quick,so I could finally come to my senses in purchasing him!
    Last edited by TITAN; June 30, 2012 at 06:21pm.

My last 2 arrived today and again no paint issues. One of the wings was a little loose so I used the floor wax and it's tight now. I am surprised how well that technique actually works. I absolutely think this is the best piece in all of MOTUC thus far.

The Griffin is finally SOLD OUT! I noticed it at 1:20 AM Eastern time.

I'm surprised he took so long, he really is amazing. Incredible details and fun to play around with, Evil-Lyn looks awesome riding the Griffin.