Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: I can NOT believe that I'm going to say this, but I'm starting to like NA in MOTUC

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Any more converts to NA, who were former detractors?
    No. The recent reveal was the best one of the bunch so far, but I think my NA stance is destined to remain unchanged. Optikk remains a Trap Jaw rip-off with a table tennis ball for a head. Icarius still looks better-suited for a space cop line and his ridiculous accessories keep falling off. I think Slush Head is just a goofy plastic blob. At least Carrot-head or whatever his name is looks a little more imaginative.

It occurred to me the other day that the NA names were mostly non-descriptive, whereas the majority of Vintage MOTU names gave a clue. Tri-Klops was a take on Cyclops etc.

But it's still the journey away from the barbarian Eternia into space which spoiled this incarnation for me, so these Classics figures don't really have much chance at all.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    It occurred to me the other day that the NA names were mostly non-descriptive, whereas the majority of Vintage MOTU names gave a clue. Tri-Klops was a take on Cyclops etc..

Optikk = Optic (eye)
    Slush-Head = Slushy Head (water/slime in his helmet)
    etc..

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    But it's still the journey away from the barbarian Eternia into space which spoiled this incarnation for me, so these Classics figures don't really have much chance at all.
    Agreed.
    That said, I like Slush-Head.

- - - Updated - - -

Any more converts to NA, who were former detractors?
    Not really. Karatii would have had way more appeal to me, if he didn't have Trap-Jaw's legs (again!)
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    I've never been a "detractor", but never very interested; that said, the figures they have done have been mostly neat and welcome in my collection. Not so sure about Karati, perhaps he will grow on me.
    This sums up my feelings about it. I've never been interested in NA, but have nothing against it. I'm all for it being in the line.

Icarius was my first NA figure, and what had me keep an open mind towards the others. He is a masterpiece and probably the best figure in the line. Being a fan of sci-fi, I think he's awesome.
    Hydron will totally rock, I know it, and will look great next to Flipshot on the shelf. I'll keep an open mind towards NA He-Man as well. The rest of the guardians, not so much.

I bought Optikk to go with Icarius last fall. He's 'okay'. So is Slush Head. Neither are really essential to my collection by any means, but they're probably the most interesting of all the mutants. Lizzor is okay, the rest I don't care for at all.

Heroic Warrior
    I΄m more interested in the NA mutant faction, not a fan of the Protectors, because most of them are humans...

I like more the monster/mutant thing, they really look great (also Karatti)...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Intergalactic Skeletor's popularity is amazing! He's damn near universally liked!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Podcaster
    I hated the old NA figures except for Optikk. Back in the early 90s, he jumped right off the shelf into my hands and I always liked his design. Of course, that old figure broke approximately 4.8 seconds after I opened him. Right knee was painted shut, tried to bend it, broke right off.

Fast forward to MOTUC - I was THRILLED that Optikk was the first MOTUC NA. Loved him immediately, kept him on the wall, never considered selling him. I did not care for Flipshot, Slushhead or, especially, Karatti. Sold them all. NA He-Man I actually opened up to use his package for a custom, then GAVE HIM AWAY. I hate that ponytail, 90s, space swashbuckler version. Figured I had given NA a chance and it didn't work out.

Then Hydron and Flogg were revealed. Liked them a lot, so rebought Flipshot, Slushhead, and even Karatti (though I still don't like him much) and moved them with Optikk in their own NA area of my MOTUC wall (I am a MOC collector). Even left spaces for Flogg and Hydron. Love their colors!

Will never rebuy NA He-Man as my hatred for him still burns bright. And as much as I think NA Skeletor came out looking good, I will be selling mine when it comes in my subscription. I prefer to envision the He-Man and Skeletor we know and love spending some time in space as they are, or even the Mutant and Protectors crashing down on Eternia to continue their battle and join up with the forces of Good and Evil already on the planet. I do not like the drastic, trying-to-appeal-to-90s-mallrats-and-proto-tech-nerds redesigns of NA He-Man and NA Skeletor. I would have preferred He-Man in a space suit and Skeletor protected by magic.

But overall, NA in MOTUC has grown on me. I do wish they would have had their own subscription though. :P I would sign up today!
    Last edited by SunDevil; November 6, 2013 at 09:46pm.
    Angella - Blast Attak - Buzzsaw Hordak - Dragstor - ELDOR! - ENTRAPTA! - FLUTTERINA! - Flying Fists He-Man - GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - MERMISTA! - MultiBot - NINJOR! - Peekablue - Perfuma - RIO BLAST! - Rotar
    Saurod - SPINNERELLA! - Sssqueeze - SWEET BEE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - TUNG LASHOR! - Twistoid

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I agree, its really awesome and refreshing to see a character almost universally praised - and one from NA as well.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

I am not nor will I ever be an NA convert, but I have to admit, while I couldn't stand NAHM, Skeletor looks pretty good.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I am not nor will I ever be an NA convert, but I have to admit, while I couldn't stand NAHM, Skeletor looks pretty good.
    LOL... it's really funny to me how many people H-A-T-E NA. I didn't grow up with the toon, find many of the episodes barely watchable, and the character concepts are overall very weak, but the Horsemen have worked true magic with these designs. Every single character shines like gold, so much so that I could care less about the cartoon. I judge the toys on their own merit, and IMHO these merits in the Horsemen's hands are many.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

A lot of fans think the 4 NA mini-comics are much better.

*raises hand* Me! I'm one of those folks. I think I've said this ten or twenty times in this forum now, but: The fact that Skeletor rips into his own body with a blowtorch to add machinery just BLEW my mind back in the day. I loved robots 'n cyborgs 'n such, and Skeletor was pretty much my favorite villain back then...so you can see where this is going. The NA minicomics drew me in as much as the vintage minicomics did.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I have to say I enjoy those 4 mini comics more than the toon as well… Yet again… Like history repeated itself!
    (meaning I love the very first mini comics over the Filmation toon, so it's the same again with NA He-Man.)
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    *raises hand* Me! I'm one of those folks. I think I've said this ten or twenty times in this forum now, but: The fact that Skeletor rips into his own body with a blowtorch to add machinery just BLEW my mind back in the day. I loved robots 'n cyborgs 'n such, and Skeletor was pretty much my favorite villain back then...so you can see where this is going. The NA minicomics drew me in as much as the vintage minicomics did.
    The cyborg implants kinda feel a little Jason X/Anakin Skywalker-like to me, but I've always liked the "divine energy" of the Power of Grayskull frying evil-ass Skeletor and injuring to such an extent that he needed bionics to survive.

Heroic Warrior undeadplastic2711's Avatar
    I've never been an NA fan but I do have all if the classics NA so far and I will continue to fill my shelves with them
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

The cyborg implants kinda feel a little Jason X/Anakin Skywalker-like to me, but I've always liked the "divine energy" of the Power of Grayskull frying evil-ass Skeletor and injuring to such an extent that he needed bionics to survive.
    YES. Exactly! Even back then I loved how he basically gets fried by the power he had been seeking for so long.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Back then when NA came out... I thought... 'If only these were the same size as the other He-man figures.' Then we lost touch and I lost interest. Now that they are the same scale... it was meant to be and I am enjoying collecting these guys.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    It is very well done on the figure, and succeeds in relaying the idea of the injuries needing cybernetic repair as the original twisted vertebrae did. It adds some to the character that he payed a price for his evil pursuits, but is still undaunted in his desires for conquest. It helps show why he is and always will be the main villain in MOTU.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I never understood why the Jetlag cartoon didn't follow the mini-comics... they weren't completely different, but what was changed was so crucial to the story.

Also, the UK comics were/are pretty awesome too. Much more character development and appearances by many of the "unfamiliar" NA faces. (Plus, Darius!)

And if anything, being fried by the Power of Grayskull only solidified Skeletor's determination in gaining said power. While the cartoon made this version of Skeletor out to be condescending and foolish, I always pictured the New Adventures Skeletor as a cunning, calculated monster who blames his situation on He-Man and resents him even more now... especially due to his new "disfigurement."

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    It is very well done on the figure, and succeeds in relaying the idea of the injuries needing cybernetic repair as the original twisted vertebrae did. It adds some to the character that he payed a price for his evil pursuits, but is still undaunted in his desires for conquest. It helps show why he is and always will be the main villain in MOTU.
    Very well stated!

I would even argue that Skeletor has a place on MANY top ten villains of all time lists....
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Personally, though I never was a NA fan, I'm quite glad we're getting these figures. I want them all.

I don't understand why so many people seem to not like Flipshot. He's one of the most well-designed toys thus far and has a boatload of accessories.

What more do you want out of an Action Figure anyway?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Personally, though I never was a NA fan, I'm quite glad we're getting these figures. I want them all.

I don't understand why so many people seem to not like Flipshot. He's one of the most well-designed toys thus far and has a boatload of accessories.

What more do you want out of an Action Figure anyway?
    This is the eternal question......

I don't get the hate either. Personally, Flipshot is one of the best action figures ever made - MOTU related or not.

For that matter, ALL of the NA MOTUC figures are little masterpieces, and that is why I want more of them. The 4H have done such an amazing job on each one of them.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Optikk, Slush Head, Flogg, and NA Skeletor just needed sculpt updates and they're good to go. That's it. The concept was already pretty much on point, and now that they physically match, they're just part of the gang. Welcome guys! Skeletor's army from adventures yet to come.

But the Flipshot and Hydron, erph, make me sleepy inside.

Too… near-future-Earthlings? Like, modern Earth guys running around in suits.

G.I. Joe wannabe Centurion knockoffs. As a kid I knew it. I didn't suddenly forget. Nothing more than Ace McCloud and Max Ray, with major points taken off for being 4 years too late, way too small, not a tenth as fun to play with, and up against a mythos that was waaaay out of their league.

Much like Rio Blast (and Bow too, imo), there's nothing you can update about them to make them something they're not.

Guy with a diving suit. wow. Other water people seem a little more native to water, but you just dive.
    Guy from Top Gun with a flight suit that's way too high maintenance compared to other flying characters. Pshaw.
    Guy from BraveStarr. What are you doing here!? Go back to BraveStarr!
    Guy with a bow that relies on She-Ra to survive. Put. Me. To. Sleep already. And your mustache is not helping the situation.

Sorry, those guys belong to the same camp, so I comment on them collectively, just to show it's not pure NA hero distaste.

It's not about them being good MOTUC sculpts, or the best version of the character ever. The characters themselves just don't offer anything of interest. If you don't have a cool power or back story, you need to look either cool or ridiculous. Don't be normal and look normal. Firefighter? Okay, you get an elephant face! Guy in brown underpants? Okay, you are the most powerful man in the universe! Others are close to being on the list. Like Clamp Champ maybe, but he dresses like the original gang, so he gets a pass just as part of the undies gang. And even the coolest of back stories can't cover up everything.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I agree, its really awesome and refreshing to see a character almost universally praised - and one from NA as well.
    Yep I'm loving NA Skeley too, and I would bet that if the FHM were given free rain with design, the He-Ro son of He-man line could be just as popular, I'd love to see some new guys in the line

Heroic Warrior
    I would like to see an NA Faker/He-Slave in 2015 or 2016

I never liked NA. I remember picking up the He-Man / Slushhead 2 pack back in the day, but it was mostly nostalgic. The figures were horrible.

But the inclusion of NA is one of the big reasons why I started collecting MOTUC from the beginning. The 4 Horsemen are amazing and I knew they could turn any horrible design into an amazing figure. I have been bummed to see the NA hate. To me, these are some of the coolest reveals because seeing the NA figures transformed properly is awesome. Here's hoping a mini-sub or con exclusives can keep these figures coming.

I don't see any more figures coming past Mara and maybe Sagitar, unless we get a 2016 sub. Bring em on, I say!
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, CAMO KHAN, LODAR, EVIL ROBOT, ROTAR, TWISTOID

OK. I admit it. I will be opening one of my Intergalactic Skeletors. I hate the whole idea of cyborg-Skeletor (including LL Skeletor). I hate NA! MGM says some of the NA fans prefer the mini-comics, well they are all I've seen and as a detractor, they have re-emphasised all I hated about NA back in my childhood.

But I admit, Matty, TG and the 4H have won me over with their amazing work, detail and sense of fun. I always said I would never open a cyborg-Skeletor. That it would never leave its white mailer box. But, after Comikazi reveal, I admit I will now open an IG Skeletor when my subscriptions arrive in August 2014. I want the battle damage Faker head!
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199